New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Glory that Was Greece -Ancient World 3.5 (IC)

Aegea steps inside the temple Past the merchant, looking around and soaking in the scene. It was not to her patron, but the Goat Eater was always a god to keep on the good side of. The woman wrinkles her nose at the slave holding woman making an offering, but again, not a fight to have in the temple of the city’s patron, especially as an outsider.

As she kneels down near the silently praying woman, her mind wanders back to the guards that were following her earlier. Were they following her because of what she was saying? Because of who she was? Or what she was? She tried to calm the thoughts swirling in her mind, and thinks back to home. Hunting. Wandering. Telling stories. Singing. Living life as it should be lived. None of these strata, of these people running back and forth so busy, trying to gain more land, more gold, more power. She chuckles to herself. It does have its perks, though...

She thanks the goddess for safe passage to her city, and asks for safety throughout her stay as well. She gives 5 gold coins as and offering, and walks back to the entrance.
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

I must admit it seems somewhat...generous? to refer to these as my companions, given that I have exchanged a few words with two of them, and have no knowledge of the rest at all.

He falls silent as the conversation goes on around him, and listens with curiosity until the newcomer arrives. He'll meet the gaze of the older woman who is presumably a servant of Hera, not disrespectfully, but not intimidated by her gaze and attention, either. He'll continue to stand, patient as a stone. Someone will find the silence awkward and speak to fill it. He'll hope to glean more information before he decides what to do.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Agoros is quite surprised to see how the events unfold. First, he gets completely ignored by the healer, who seems to be involved in a fascinating conversation of philosophy with the perfumer. When he hears the Titans being mentioned, he pays more attention...until he understand they were only involved as a passing example.

Right when he is about to interrupt to ask again about his sunstroke, the wizened priestess peacock-dressed priestess arrives. The mountain of a woman pays no heed and enters the temple, while the mountain of a man stops and starts engaging her. At some point, Agoros feels obliged to intervene. He removes his helmet as a sign of deference, swipes the sweat off his brow.

"Greetings, my lady. I must add that I concur with this noble man here," indicating Mihail near him. "I am in no way his companion - and why, exactly, would you be interested in my humble person?"
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

How fascinating. says Peridokles, one leg bent, his foot resting on the wall behind him. And thus we becomes chorus to the stage of great events, breathless witness to a meeting pre-ordained. But by what agency? Was it their reputations that have led this fine and beautiful lady to meet our heroes? Or is artifice and cunning that has brought these fine travelers to meet, as if by chance, at the just the point where the master planner can find them?

As he talks, he dips into the case of perfumes next to him, and pulls forth a slender bronze vial. A pattern of clasped hands, running around the stopper, gleams in the sunshine.

Or since we crouch at the feet of this most magnificent of temples, dedicated to the great Queen of the Gods herself, maybe we are in the realm of prophecy. Such an important meeting deserves the proper... atmosphere!

With practiced care he dips the other end of his hazel wand into just the top of the vial, and then flicks it up, sending the heady scent of cedar and fresh laural through the air.

As Aegea comes back down the path towards them, he nods in her direction.

And thus the three companions meet. Are these three warriors, in full panoply, the 'companions' you were expecting?
    Last edited by Togo; 2020-10-24 at 06:27 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Aegea

Spoiler: Aegea
    Show
    As you leave your coins and get up to return to the entrance you feel a slight warmth on your chest, and looking down, you now have a broach of some light metal you don't recognise in the shape of a peacock

Agoros, Mihail, Philistion, Peridokles

Spoiler: Spot DC20
    Show
    Aegea didn't have that broach on when she came in

Aegea, Agoros, Mihail, Philistion, Peridokles

The priestess draws deeply from the air Peridokles has perfumed

And thus we becomes chorus to the stage of great events, breathless witness to a meeting pre-ordained. But by what agency? Was it their reputations that have led this fine and beautiful lady to meet our heroes? Or is artifice and cunning that has brought these fine travelers to meet, as if by chance, at the just the point where the master planner can find them?

"I am in no way his companion - and why, exactly, would you be interested in my humble person?"

You are not the chorus but a principal player I think. And if you are not companions you may yet be. I don't think it is chance nor reputation that has led you here today; though not artifice nor cunning neither. Please be seated if you are not already and I shall tell you.

She gently sits on the steps, Berenice staying off to the side

For the last month or so I have been troubled she pauses and corrects herself gifted with the most vivid dreams. What I have seen is disturbing, cities in flames, piles of dead warriors, beasts and monsters that have not troubled Greece in generations, innocents enslaved.

Her gaze has fixed upon a point on the ground, but then flicks up to look at you all directly.

But I have also seen you

Spoiler: Sense Motive DC15
    Show
    She is apparently sincere, but also giving off an energy that I could best describe as "I am only a 2nd level aristocrat I should not be having to deal with this".
    She is really uncomfortable

Spoiler: Sense Motive DC10
    Show
    Berenice is clearly watching you to see how you take this...

6. - Top - End - #36

Mihail is smirking at Peridokles's attempt to continually separate himself while simultaneously drawing attention to himself with his tongue that seems incapable of being still. He wonders when the man will notice that he's receiving just as much attention as the warriors he's trying to bring to the forefront in spite of he himself being unlikely to draw such attention based on his appearance alone. Mihail himself is used to being stared at, so it bothers him very little to be the center of attention.

When the priestess continues to speak, he'll frown thoughtfully and sit down on the steps. He'll try to divide his attention between the priestess herself, Berenice, and the others that seem to have attracted attention. It's clear that this priestess will have more to say, and is ending on such a note for dramatic effect. Such is the way of those who follow the gods closely.

He trusts that the talkative perfumer will ask questions if necessary, and Mihail himself continue to observe and process. He isn't slow by any means, but he likes to think things through when he has the time. In battle, that is rarely a luxury that can be afforded. He has buried too many who didn't learn that lesson when it was important.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Aegea listens with skepticism to the woman. Though she wanted to react to the broach, now did not seem like the time. ”I’m sorry, were you including me in that? Because seeing me in a vision like that is impossible. Many of the cities don’t even consider us ‘Greek’ at all.” If it weren’t for the monsters, she would almost welcome the destructive force that the woman foretold. But... maybe it was something worth listening to with politeness, at least for now.

“When you see us in this vision, what sort of role are we playing?”
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Kleandridas

Kleandridas accepts the additional food and drink politely. "My thanks. Persophone's finest would not have tasted as well. It has been many days since I have had aught that was not twice backed bread or salted goat." He enjoys the food for a few moments before replying to Arisitichus. "My fellow brothers are warriors mighty and true, heroes of the war for whom the bards tales resound in Sparta. However.... all good things come to an end. The war is at a peace, but we hear rumours of the threat rising in the East, the Persian poison spreads."

He looks at the others, his lone eye glinting slightly, "Tell us what you know of anything in the area that would have you doubt their loyalty or anything that would threaten the tranquility of these hapless fools.."
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Philistion is visibly uncomfortable under the woman's probing gaze, but perseveres. When Aegea challenges her visions, Phil's eyes flick up to the evident anger behind the words, but stray also to the peacock brooch.

Ultimately, Philistion leans forward.

"Madam, to the best of my knowledge, we have not met before. To find one stranger's face imprinted onto your dream is unusual. Several would be, well, extraordinary. May I ask what you are doing, in these terrible dreams? Our perceived relationship to you may be very important."
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2020-10-27 at 01:39 AM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Having had firsthand experience with divine intervention, Agoros takes Berenice's discourse very seriously. He tries to focus his perception on her body language to better understand what she is trying to do here, but he is distracted by brief memories of a thunderous voice in his head. As instructed, he sits.

"And...I am seconding the question of...what is your name, sir?" asks Agoros to the healer that has just spoken up.

Could she be a servant of the Old One?
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Philistion seems surprised by Agoros' question, but recovers.

"Oh! We're doing names? We're doing names. Of course. My name is Philistion. At the academy I was Philistion of Locri, because Philistion of Macedon had already been there for a year. Sorry, and your name, sir?"

Seeing the man's distraction, Philistion rises, offering to examine him with a gesture.

"Please, I am a student of medicine. Are you in pain, sir?"
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ah, well, my name is Agoros of Pella, Philistion of Locri.", replies the Macedonian. Mistaking the origin of the healer's offer for help, he rises too and indicates his bare head.
    "I am afraid I may be suffering from a heat stroke, though I would gladly let your expertise tell me if that is so."

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Accepting the deflection while silently noting it as such, Philistion carefully rises to examine Agoros' head. Phil lays the back of a cool, slender hand on the side of the Macedonian's head.

"The blood has risen, and is racing, but there are many possible causes for these. In this new and fast-paced world we live in, it is hard to find serenity. Unless the pain in your head worsens or you begin to feel nausea, it may simply be undue excitement and an irritation of the skin."

Digging amongst the bags hanging from the doctor's belt, Phil's hand emerges with a finger-sized tube of waxed cloth, which is offered to Agoros.

"A simple emollient of olive oil and aloe. Apply to skin exposed to the sun."

Phil's hand flutters to his own cheek, a pale gray only tinged with tan.

"I, uh, use it myself, sometimes."

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

"This is most appreciated. How much will that be?" Agoros sighs with contentment as he applies the cloth to his forehead. With his other hand, he starts rummaging through his purse - and raises an eyebrow when the doctor seems oddly embarrassed to admit he uses this remedy himself.

"It must be effective, since your skin certainly does not seem to have been overly attacked by the Sun."

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Philistion ducks his head in appreciation.

"Er. Yes. That'll be two silver. And, well, I usually wear a hat."

Their transaction concluded, Phil smiles hesitantly at Agoros, and turns attention back to the woman and her visions of doom.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'm not sure what currency we're using, or how to translate D&D economy to them. Please consider this a request for a small but non-trivial sum.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Peridokles' smile is a little fixed. He's very very still, and listening very intently. It is at times like these, when dreams and visions are spoken of, that a wise man stays silent.

I always aim to appear in a lady's dreams, of course. He speaks in a soft voice, a little breathless with tension. But as Aegea of Taygetus said, can you tell us what we were doing in your dream?
    Last edited by Togo; 2020-10-29 at 02:23 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Esprit15 View Post
    ”I’m sorry, were you including me in that? Because seeing me in a vision like that is impossible. Many of the cities don’t even consider us ‘Greek’ at all.”
    Priestess:
    I was indeed including you in that

“When you see us in this vision, what sort of role are we playing?”

Priestess:
    I have not seen you doing much; you always appear at the end and I have never got a feeling you were hostile - quite the opposite

Berenice interjects:
    If milday Xanthia thought your part in her visions negative I would be much more circumspect in watching for you and sighting you would have brought much more than one noblewoman and a slave.

Also we'd be having a probably much less polite conversation from opposite sides of a wall of spears

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Back with the Spartans:

"Tell us what you know of anything in the area that would have you doubt their loyalty or anything that would threaten the tranquility of these hapless fools.."

Arisitichus smiles, Direct and to the point. Spoken like a true Spartan.

As you are no doubt aware Argos is no great friend of Sparta; but that does not mean anyone here is ready to challenge you - not directly anyway.

Neither are we great lovers of the Persians,we may not have fought them but we have never taken their money either. So no, the only medising influence in Argos is my citron tree there.

Locally we have some reports of travelers on the Corinth road through the Longopotamos pass disappearing, people are taking alternate routes and the military have been unable to find any traces.

Also the current priestess of Hera Xanthia has been behaving somewhat oddly recently - whatever it is it has taken the full attention of my daughter Berenice.

Show
    I was going to have this RPed a bit more, but in the interest of bringing the two groups together I shall presson

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Kleandridas

Kleandridas listens and nods, glancing back at the other two spartans, "Well, a trouble priestess or missing travellers, possibly bandits to slay if Ares blesses us eh?" he barks to his friends. "To honour the gods we may speak with this priestess, a quiet time in Argos would benefit Sparta and if the effete Argosians lose their priestess they may get upset." With his lone eye scanning the area, he eats a few more choice morsels, before looking back to the Master of the House.

"Where is temple. I would rather see to the roads but we can see the priestess now. What is the nature of her oddity?"

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

"Madam, to the best of my knowledge, we have not met before. To find one stranger's face imprinted onto your dream is unusual. Several would be, well, extraordinary. May I ask what you are doing, in these terrible dreams? Our perceived relationship to you may be very important."

Xanthia nods

I do not appear; I only watch others. This is good, it means I am not a victim and I am certainly not a hero.

I am a mother of three sons and two daughters; I have this office for a year as it passes around the noble familes of Argos. I organise the festivals and the feasts and my dear husband pays for them; I arrange to wash and dress the statues. At the end of year I hand all this over to someone else.

The biggest conflict I expect to have to deal with is keeping the peacocks safe from the foxes.

I have never sought magic, visions nor power. I did not choose this. I was chosen.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    Show
    I'm not sure what currency we're using, or how to translate D&D economy to them. Please consider this a request for a small but non-trivial sum.
    Spoiler: Money
    Show
    Good question.

As money and trade aren't likely to be especially important except at certain points I have only been using greek currency terms as flavour and sticking for GP/SP/CP for mechancis

I post more on this in OOC thread

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Alkimos grins at Kleandridas. "I share your enthusiasm to stretch the legs a little, Cyclops. I believe I have had enough of this ... civilisation. And difficulties in a pass, you say? Well, as we know, marching up narrow passes with a minima of troops is a Spartan speciality, you might say. That said," - and here the bearded warrior turned to the Proxenos - "what coin is on offer from our ... noble hosts ... in Argos, in return for marching up some mountain range's dust-filled back passage and planting a few men?"

23. - Top - End - #53
    Troll in the Playground

Alkimos Kleandridas

What is the nature of her oddity?

Plenty speculate but that is no more than agora gossip. I shall tell you what I know

Around three weeks ago Berenice had started getting worried about Xanthia not sleeping properly and looking upset. I generally do not gossip about other men's wives but she is a distant relative of ours and she and Berenice have been very close - especially since her mother died

About a fortnight ago Xanthia called a meeting - my daughter was at that meeting and has not been home since.

Berenice stays all day at the Temple here and when I have been to see her to ask her what she is doing she says she is watching and waiting. In the meantime Xanthia has been out to the main temple out of town a couple times but mostly stayed at home.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

"what coin is on offer from our ... noble hosts ... in Argos, in return for marching up some mountain range's dust-filled back passage and planting a few men?"

If it was that easy it would already have been dealt with.

But I am sure my fellow citizens would not be ungrateful if you could resolve the matter.

He stands and stretches

Shall I take you to the Temple of Hera then?

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Suddenly very interested by the exchange between the priestess and the perfumer, Agoros absentmindedly puts a handful of drachmes in Philistion's hand, and listens intently to the tale of visions and of being chosen. At the first opportunity, the mercenary pipes up:
    "Pardon me, my lady, but who would have chosen you for such visions? And for which purpose? Since we are standing on the stairs of the temple of Hera, I would venture that would be the Queen of Mount Olympus?"

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Kleandridas

Kleandridas looks to the others before nodding to the factor. "Aye, take us to the Temple of the Peacock. we shall speak with this lady and see if we can't put some sense into her." As they head out towards the Temple he glances at Alkimos with his good eye, spear twirling in the street slightly, "A walk and some exercise, a few heads mounted on the tip of the spear shall deter any bandits. I don't need coin for something I'll do for my own amusement." He grins at Alkimos, "Maybe we can take some of these Argosoian mice with us and show them how to stand like men."

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

At the first opportunity, the mercenary pipes up:
    "Pardon me, my lady, but who would have chosen you for such visions? And for which purpose? Since we are standing on the stairs of the temple of Hera, I would venture that would be the Queen of Mount Olympus?"

Xanthia turns to Agoros
    You speak correctly. I know this comes from Cronus' eldest daughter. Do not ask me how I know. I just do and with absolute certainty

She fixes Peridokles

Socrates claims the oracle at Delphi called him the wisest of all Greeks because he alone knew he knew nothing. Well whatever you call the opposite of that is what I have. If I know nothing else I know my visions come from Hera herself

She sighs

And I don't know why.

Honestly I just wanted to find you all as quickly as possible and tell you.

Then hopefully the visions will stop and I can rest; carry on with my life.
    Last edited by wilphe; 2020-11-02 at 03:25 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

He grins at Alkimos, "Maybe we can take some of these Argosoian mice with us and show them how to stand like men."

Aristarchus bids you follow him and walks briskly through the streets; but clearly happy to expound on the sights and monuments of his city as he goes

There is the temple to Wolf Apollo; that mound contains the head of the Gorgon Medusa; over yonder the shrine of Aphrodite and that statue is of the poetess Telesilla who led the women of Argos to victory over your Spartan king Cleomenes

And there is the temple of Hera and I see my daughter and Xanthia - with some odd strangers I do not recognise
    Last edited by wilphe; 2020-11-02 at 03:54 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Honestly I just wanted to find you all as quickly as possible and tell you.

Berenice is at the side of the group looking down the street and sees the new arrivals first.

Your prayers have been answered milady.

Two spartans including the elf born - that completes your Seven

And my father

Xanthia shifts her attention and gives Alkimos the same 30 second stare she gave the others when she arrived; she notably does not pay the same attention to Kleandridas

30. - Top - End - #60

Mihail grunts. When the new spartans arrive and Berenice calls her attention to them, he gestures broadly, inviting them to join the rest of the people around the priestess.

Shall we dispense with beating around the bush, then? If Berenice is to be believed, our group is complete as soon as these newcomers join us. Would it be better to retire somewhere private? Perhaps somewhere with shade will help Agoros's head, and a cool beverage would not go amiss if it is available. I would hear of these visions in as much detail as you can provide.

Then, I can decide what is to be done with them, at least from my own perspective. Greece and Democracy are already threatened, and by Athena, I will do what I can to aid her. Though the ways of the gods and goddesses are mysterious to mortals such as we, I for one accept that they often work through mortal agencies. Hopefully what they choose to reveal will be enough to help us.
    Last edited by Aracor; 2020-11-02 at 08:54 PM.