New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Glory that Was Greece -Ancient World 3.5 (IC)

Aegea chuckles. ”Don’t speak too loudly on rule by the citizenry - the Spartans might hear you.” She stays fairly quiet through most of the discussion, feeling out her apparently future companions in how they talk to one another. Several proud Lacedaemonian soldiers, several unbound wanderers, and apparently a single Athenian. Eclectic. “Well, for the purposes of at least interest, I don’t see a reason to not see if our role in the future is as your vision foretells. If we have everyone needed here, then we should move forward.”
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

That is a lot of intel to process in a short amount of time. First the priestess of Hera pronouncing the name of the Old One. Was that by chance, or some sort of signal towards him? Agoros ascertains her body language, trying to understand what is happening here.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    "Get a hunch of the situation" Sense Motive DC 20 check: (1d20+6)[22]

Then, a Berenice person joins in, with a number of other warrios, and the two giants speak about moving on together...
    I need help to know if I should go with it.Agoros swipes the sweat off his cooled brow with the back of his hand. This allows him to momentarily hide his face to the rest of the party. Retreating to the innermost part of his mind, the Macedonian decides to give in to the echoing voices in his head, allowing them to grow stringer and more audible.
    "O Kronos, thou that once ruled Olympus, will joining this group serve thy will?"

Grunting, Agoros sits again.
    "Your medicine is good, but I would appreciate a little more of it", he says to Philistion before any question is raised.

Show

Using the 1/week Omniscient Whispers feat: Agoros ask one yes/no question to a higher power. As a consequence, he is now exhausted. Bluff check to pass the exhaustion for a consequence of the sun stroke: (1d20+14)[30]

Spoiler: Money
    Show

Let's say I've given 100gp to Philistion.
    Last edited by remetagross; 2020-11-03 at 08:39 AM.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Philistion has been confused into silence by the noblewoman and her visions. How a humble doctor could stop some apocalypse was utterly beyond him.

"Well, then...thank you?"

When a cascade of Agoros' coin lands almost literally in his lap, Phil scoops it together and slips the coins into his belt.

"Of course, sir! I'm happy to, happy to!
    I don't usually carry those kind of quantities here with me, but I maintain a small shop just four streets down, two blocks over.
    The sign of three leaves. Take these for now, and I'll happily make up the balance later today, if you wish."

Phil fishes in his belt and comes up with four more of the cloth tubes, which he turns over to Agoros.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Kleandridas

Kleandridas comes to a halt as he spies Mihail across the courtyard, the massive goliath towering above all the peoples in the courtyard and standing as tall as the plumed tip of the the spartan's helm. "By Kronos, who is that giant!" he mutters to the courtyard at large, his instinct to step forward and challenge the giant a strong one that he reluctantly quashes. He is even more surprised as the giant and the collection of priestesses and others invites him and Alkimos to join them.

He is slightly surly as he approaches, a wary "Greetings to you all , he pauses, a cautious look of curiosity. "What are these visions that the giant speaks of? I am Kleandridas, warrior of Sparta, I greet you all" he adds more formally, introducing himself. Caution as he spies the strange horned elf (Aegea)
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

”It seems our crossing paths were foretold to this priestess, Spartan,” Aegea explains, matching the soldier’s glare. “The ‘giant’ as you so bluntly call him is one of these intertwined threads that the Fates have woven together. Our lady here believes that your skipped thread is another.”

Show

6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground

Mihail grins at Kleandridas, recognizing the challenge in his pose. He has seen it before from many warriors, and stands firm, looking down at the burly human.

I greet you, Kleandridas, and your companions. I am Mihail. This is Xanthia, currently the high priestess of Hera. She has had visions that she is certain are directly from Hera herself. Her visions are of violence and war. Cities in flames, piles of dead, and beasts and monsters that are near as mythic as the gods themselves.

From what I'm gathering, we seven may be important to these visions in some way. I'm hopeful that Xanthia will be able to elucidate further, as right now all we have is vague whispers and mutterings. Would you join us to hear what she has to say?

Mihail nods to Kleandridas, Alkimos, and Arisitichus; then gestures to each of the people already here in turn. This is Aegea, a sellsword. Peridokles, a philosopher and clerk. Philistion of Locri, a healer. Agoros, a warrior.

Show
    I never would have been able to do that in real life! It's nice to be able to check the previous posts!

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"I am Alkimos, cellkeeper of mighty Kleandridas," The older man grinned as he nodded to Mihail and the others. There were women amongst the group, but he had enough poise not to make note of it. After all, was it not said that the reason women were in charge in Sparta was because they were the only ones who gave birth to real men? "My greetings to each of you. As for me, I would certainly hear of these visions in which we apparently feature so prominently. Not that one necessarily would want to be noticed by the Gods. Or the Muses."

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

This Mihail man has introduced us all - just as well, I don' need to move or speak much...

Still reeling from the intensity of the whispers in his mind, Agoros raises a hand to address a general salute to all the newcomers.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Peridokles raises his eyebrows as the crowd around him gathered more and more armoured forms, but it was Philistion's gathering of an entire pouch of coin that really grabbed his attention. With a neat bow in his direction, as if conceding a victory in some contest, he gathers his vials together and replaces them carefully in the leather case

If mighty Hera says we shall be together, then together we shall surely be. And yet we still need some aim, some sense of shared purpose, least we take this meeting to the logical conclusion of a wineshop, and with no reason to emerge, linger for several days until our purses can no longer sustain us. Is there some ambition or passion that we all share, some common feeling? Are we united by a love of the finer points of geometry, or politics, or of really good places to acquire labdanum and styrax?

He sighs

Surrounded as I am by so many warriors, and given that our unwilling prophetess there spoke of burning cities, I do note that we all have military experience. But my own was as a clerk. I worked with logistics. I barely know one end of a sword from the other. In an emergency I can fold bandages competently enough, but I'm not a real expert. Maybe I could shout sage advice and wise aphorisms from the sidelines?

He stands up from the wall he was resting against, and adjusts his hat against the new angle of the sun.

Or maybe it just so happened that I was to be here, and the goddess, like a thrifty housewife, saw no reason not to scoop me up with the rest. I am Peridokles, a seller of oils and perfumes by trade, wordy and long-winded by inclination. Philostion and I were trading a few notes on philosophy, and I was just working my around to letting him get a word or two in himself, when were interrupted by fortellings of doom from what appear to be, rather unfortunately, a highly reliable and respected source.

Lady Xanthia? My sympathies for your most blessed and holy affliction, may it be short-lived. Did you perchance see us somewhere in particular on this day, or get any clue as to what we were to set out to accomplish?
    Last edited by Togo; 2020-11-09 at 04:40 AM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Philistion is pleased to allow himself to fade into the background in this discussion of great events and blustery muscle men. When Peridokles announces that they 'all' had military training, Philistion thought about trying to interject, but saw little point.

Instead, he settled for returning his attention to the noble priestess, to see if she had further insights to offer.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Kleandridas

The elf glances at his Spartan brother, "Ever ready with a joke my brother. For no cell could hold me." A ghost of a smile makes it clear that he's trying to joke rather than brag.

At Mikhail's words he nods to all, but lingers once more in Aegea the sells word.

Giving his attention to the priestesses of Hera he motions towards the opening into the Temple. "As you will Priestess. Let us sit out Apollo's burning gaze and tell us if these visions of glorious and battle."

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

"I concur with the elf", adds Agoros, eyes still close and swelling from his communion.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

Aristarchus and Berenice watch keenly how Mihail and Kleandridas react to each other and relax when introduction go smoothly. Xanthia seems unconcerned about about that - though it may be hard to tell as she is pretty tightly wound up anyway and has a lot else to be tense about.

Spoiler: Agoros
    Show
    You get the impression that she just used that as another of her goddesses titles, not specifically aimed at you.

Further pondering being rendered moot as an answer to your question seems to fill the back of your skull

"O Kronos, thou that once ruled Olympus, will joining this group serve thy will?"

IT WILL

Not that one necessarily would want to be noticed by the Gods.

Xanthia looks at Alkimos like she's finally found someone who understands her perfectly

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Xanthia repeats what she has already said and elaborates for the benefit of those who want more details.

As I had explained before you arrived for the last month I have been, er, gifted with the most vivid dreams. What I have seen is disturbing, cities in flames, piles of dead warriors, beasts and monsters that have not troubled Greece in generations, innocents enslaved.

The seven of you appear at the end of my dreams; and I have always got the firm feeling that your part in these events was benevolent

I have seen a shadow over Hellas, that of a great and terrible man.

I have seen owls roosting under the tiles of a house in Sparta

I have seen the Oasis at Siwa but just glimpses of what lies beneath

I have seen a blindman, a mad man and a man without hands or feet terrorize the Peloponnese

I have heard the ghosts of children cry in pain and loneliness

I have seen a grown man with a limp, a mighty warrior without peer, worry and bully a young boy out of sheer hatred. Until finally that young boy grows and takes furious vengeance on the now old man and strikes him down with such a mighty blow that he never recovers.

She has been speaking louder and faster as this goes on and then finally collapses as reaches the end

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Any attention that Xanthia's hysterical collapse might bring in your direction is transitory as something even more interesting happens.

A horseman, with the running wolf of Argos on his cloak and his steed looking half-dead and foaming, comes up from the gate - barely moderating his speed as he enters the city and scattering passersby as they struggle to get out of the way.

He appears to be heading towards you, perhaps on the way to the acropolis, however there is at least one old man and a couple of playing children who are in his path and haven't noticed him.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

As the booming voice finaly answers him by rippling across Agoros' skull, his eyes snap wide open at once. The scene has changed a lot: the priestess has collapsed on the ground, and a great rumble can be heard, with that cavalier barging through the busy streets...Agoros, like the others, sees the obvious collision incoming, but his head swells too much and he feels too dizzy to make the needed movement. Instead, he calls out to the group he has been...assigned with:

"Hep! This horse is going to sweep these people over there! Do something!"

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Aegea looks on and quickly springs into action, running at full speed toward the horse, wings suddenly spreading wide as she nears it. ”Whoa! Whoa!” she calls, trying to calm the animal as she stood on its path. If it doesn’t appear to stop, she attempts to grab it by the reins as it gets close and hold the beast still.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure what you want me to roll

Show

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Peridokles moves fast, aiming for a point between the horse and the old man, muttering verse in the Homeric style.

Spoiler: Listen DC 0
    Show
    Trust for this benighted beast! To me, attendants of the bountiful earth, and sing trust and friendship
    Recall to him of Demeter's compact to that Maid of the Moirai, through the binding of She Who Thirsts.
    Behold me, for it is by the Maid's good graces I name thee by thy sire, Earthshaker,
    Here I stand ready to take Triptolemus' part, of wood to ward off sun, wind and rain
    Of sweet barley in the trough, and of the bright bladed bronze, to bar the wolf from your door!

If this kind of mysticism makes sense, it's not obvious how.
    Spoiler: Knowledge religion DC 10
    Show
    Triptolemus is an ancient hero-king, who was responsible for the spreading of agriculture throughout the world. Presumably this would include animal husbandry and thus keeping horses, but it's a bit of a stretch.

Spoiler: Knowledge religion DC 15
    Show
    There are several handmaids to the Moirai (Fates), but from context the one he's referring to is almost certainly Eileithyia, the old (pre-Greek) goddess of childbirth from Crete, who gives her name to the Eleusinian Mysteries, one of the best known mystery cults in Greek culture at the time.

Earthshaker, or Enesidaon, is the rather darker aspect of Poseidon, lord of earthquakes, deep dark places, and brother to the Ruler of the Underworld (Hades). Poseidon is supposed to have created horses.

Spoiler: Spellcraft DC 16
    Show
    Casting Charm Animal

His delivery is this good (Perform (1d20+4)[20]) but then epic poetry is not designed to sung while sprinting.

Once he gets to a point before the horse, he stretched his arms wide, and shouts Whoa! Whoa! You are among friends here.

His attention is entirely focused on the horse, not the rider.
    Last edited by Togo; 2020-11-09 at 06:15 AM.

19. - Top - End - #79

Mihail, recognizing that everyone is acting at once, decides to see how things play out. He'll charge the horse and rider if none of the more subtle actions being taken succeed at keeping the old man from being trampled. But it would behoove people to be aware of what's coming down!

Runaway Horse! Beware!

Hopefully his booming voice will attract attention quickly enough to scatter the rest of the passerby, though he knows that mere reflexes may not be up to the task at this time.

Spoiler: Out of Character
    Show
    Mihail will delay until the last moment. If nothing else stops or controls the horse, he'll cast Swift Expeditious Retreat and charge with a non-lethal Shield Slam on the horse itself. Hopefully he won't cause it to break a leg.

Charge and Shield Slam
    Knowledge Devotion roll for Humanoids: (1d20+12)[26]
    Attack (1d20+15)[35] Plus bonus from Knowledge Devotion
    If hits
    (3d6+7)[15] nonlethal damage plus bonus from Knowledge Devotion
    Trip attempt DC (1d20+10)[28] - They can resist with either a strength or dexterity check
    Fortitude save DC 19 vs Daze for one round

Last edited by Aracor; 2020-11-09 at 09:40 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Kleandridas

Kleandridas bends down beside the priestess, arms lifting her up, "Now priestess. Shall we seek somewhere to put you, tell us more of these glorious tidings of battle and glory" As the horse bursts into the square he whirls around, then relaxes, as he watched the hulking titan-son run up with the door sized shield to stop the horse. He glances at the unconscious priestess, a whispered "A worthy rival...." to her her as his one eye watches the goliath.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Agoros's fatigued eyes try darting everywhere at once, keeping check of how the situation evolves. They are all thinking on their feet!. Peridokles's chanting intrigues him. How come a perfumer-philosopher-businessman can invoke magic? He is trying to soothe the horse.... The Macedonian keeps a mental note of the abilities eveyrone is displaying here - it will surely prove useful later, regardless of which side of the battlefield they all later end up being.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Philistion

The doctor saw Kleandridos take charge of the falling priestess with remarkable gentleness, and trusts him to keep her safe. Dashing towards horse and rider, Phil murmurs a simple enchantment to help him connect with the exhausted steed. His high tenor rings out, but speaks in no human dialect, but in a loud, high, fluting whinny, directed at the horse.

Show
    Move action to get closer to horse and rider. Standard action to cast Speak with Animals. Telling the horse.

"Stop, brave one! We will bring you oats and water, but stop before you harm the young ones close to you."

Philistion continues rushing towards the horse, trying to draw its attention.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Show
    Reflex Child 1 (1d20)[11]

Reflex Child 2 (1d20)[19]

Will save horse (1d20)[6] +2
    Last edited by wilphe; 2020-11-12 at 06:23 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

Show
    Ride Check (1d20)[7]+4
    Last edited by wilphe; 2020-11-12 at 06:23 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Agoros and Mihail bark their warnings, and the children - seeing people running at them from all directions - scatter out of the way.

Peridokles and Philistion cast their spells causing the horse to slow enough for Aegea to grab the bridle; bringing it to a halt just before the oblivious old man. The rider takes some effort to stay in the saddle but succeeds and briefly glares at the half dragon before deciding this is not a fight he yet wants to pick. The horse neighs and whinneys towards Philistion.

Mihail, his intervention unnecessary, comes to a halt.

Berenice goes to help Xanthia but Kleandridas catches her first so her attention is directed towards Agoros

You are not well friend? Come sit down.

Xanthia is conscious but just barely and gasps into Kleandridas' ear

Spoiler: Kleandridas
    Show

Bethink thee now, O Sparta, though thou art very glorious, lest from thee, sound of foot, there spring a maimed royalty; for long will unexpected toils oppress thee, and onward-rolling billows of man-destroying war.

Spoiler: Philistion
    Show
    "Stop, brave one! We will bring you oats and water, but stop before you harm the young ones close to you."

Water. Thirsty. Run much. Spurs - much blood

The rider is not happy, but apparently little more than a youth, you get the impression that if he wasn't outnumbered he'd get violent but he seems to possess enough sense to try bluster

Let go of my horse! I am on official business and carry an urgent message for the strategoi*.

Aristarchus yells at him,

Calm yourself Lysias, there can be no message so urgent that you need to trample your fellow citizens. You have found a strategos, so make your report.

Lysias stiffens and dismounts, leaving Aegea to hold his horse if she is inclined to do so

Sir, it is my duty to inform you that we are missing a patrol; and the entire population of the hamlet of Rhamnomnos

Spoiler: Strategos
    Show
    * Strategoi are the generals. In Argos they are elected for six month terms

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

”If you are to kill members of your own citizenry in your rush to deliver your message, you may as well not deliver it at all, messenger boy, Aegea growls at the youth, holding the horse’s reins. She pets the animal to further help calm it, gaze still resting on the messenger.

“How does the whole population of a hamlet simply disappear?”

Show

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"Usually the same way a patrol goes missing. Made to vanish with spears, swords, and arrows." Alkimos takes one more look to see that Kleandridas has his job in hand, and strides over to stand next to Aristarchus. He addresses the messenger. "Is the work of slavers or raiders? And if you do not know, who might we speak to in order to find out more about this?"

Because that person presumably will be the one able to pay for a team of mercenaries to deal with a problem, the old Spartan thought to himself.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Philistion

The slender doctor keeps an ear open to the great doings being reported, but his eye and his focus is on his next patient, the exhausted horse. Philistion maintains contact with the horse, whickering softly as he walked up to it.
    Spoiler: Horse
    Show

"There. Soft now. Still now. Soon, you will be taken for food and water. I will sooth your sides where the spurs have gone in. Soft. Soft."

As Philistion reaches the horse, the whickering becomes a soft, droning chant, and the bloody marks on its side begin to fade. He never looks at the rider at all, but returns to the horse's head, stroking it in an effort to calm and reassure it.

Show
    Burning Deathwatch to get Cure Minor Wounds. The horse recovers 3 HP, and likely the same amount of nonlethal damage.

Heal check to make sure there's nothing more seriously wrong than exhaustion and overuse. (1d20+13)[16].

Handle Animal to keep it calm, if needed (1d20+3)[19].

29. - Top - End - #89

Mihail's muscles relax, seeing that his more direct intervention will not be needed. He waves the children off to continue their play, then looks at Alkimos seriously.

Usually when a group of people have become "missing" in such a way as you describe, there are bodies, and the report would be that they were killed. Even if raiders were trying to hide such evidence, an entire hamlet being murdered or taken would be difficult to hide all traces from an experienced tracker.

He turns to the messenger.

Lysias, was it? You have the most direct information of anyone here. Were they murdered, or missing? I would expect that if a Spartan patrol was attacked by ANYONE, much less raiders or slavers, would make their mark on the attackers even were they killed to a man. And more importantly, what is the chance that a patrol would surrender WITHOUT being killed? What is the population of Rhamnomnos?

I apologize if I'm overstepping here. But this is concerning. Kleandridas, do you fancy taking a walk with me once you've put the priestess down safely where she can recover from her ordeal? If someone has convinced the population of Rhamnomnos to leave, perhaps we can "convince" them that there was a...misunderstanding. Anyone else who is interested would of course be welcome to come as well. If nothing else, the circumstances of this messenger coming right after Xanthia's message to us seems like more than mere chance.

Mihail gives Kleandridas a wolfish grin and raises his oversized shield.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Agoros gladly takes Berenice's hand and slowly raises to his feet.

"I simply need some rest." he says, following her. Then, as a parting shot to the goliath warrior:

"I could not agree more with you,, Mihail. Such a happenstance must be willed by the gods. Were we to ask Xanthia after she has recovered, I am sure she would concur."
    Last edited by remetagross; 2020-11-13 at 02:51 PM.