New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Glory that Was Greece -Ancient World 3.5 (IC)

The horse relaxes and rubs the side of it's head against Philistion

Spoiler: Philistion
    Show
    "There. Soft now. Still now. Soon, you will be taken for food and water. I will sooth your sides where the spurs have gone in. Soft. Soft."

Thank you. It hurt.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Any thoughts that Lysias might have of responding to Aegea are temporarily put to one side when Aristarchus rebukes him in the same manner.

The nobleman however looks quite concerned - Remember when I said travelers on the road to Corinth were disappearing? Rhamnomnos is the most distant settlement on that road before you leave Argolid country. It is not much of a place - maybe a score of inhabitants. But I had stationed a few horsemen there to patrol the road.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Lysias, was it? You have the most direct information of anyone here. Were they murdered, or missing?

Lysias looks at Aristarchus who gives him the nod Speak ephebe; this matter may concern our friends as much as us

Lysias shoots a glare at the two Spartans suggesting that he is not happy at considering them - or to be honest most of these strangers - friends but replies Missing. My unit is based in Mycenae - we were checking up on the guys stationed there and found everyone and every animal gone. No sign of violence. The lochagos pulled us out back to Mycenae and sent me to bear the news

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Anyone else who is interested would of course be welcome to come as well

Aristarchus scratches the side of his nose as if reading Alkimos' mind If this is indeed connected to Xanthia's prophecies you would not find us ungrateful if you could resolve it

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"Then I for one would be happy to come along," says Alkimos. He grins. "Perusing a bloodless battlefield certainly sounds to have novelty value to it. I can't speak for the Arges over there, but I wouldn't mind another person keeping an eye out. He's rather good at having an eye out."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Reminder, Arges is Greek for Cyclops. And yes, these horrendous puns will be continuing, I have a +20 in Dad Jokes.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Kleandridas

As the chaos wit the horse subsides the elf stares with his one eye at the priestess and listens to her words. Leaning forward his chiseled thin jaw inches from her face he whispers back. "War and battle is no toil. It is a lover, a mistress, a wife until the grave." Then still suprisingly gentle he lays her down, draping his cloak down as a blanket/pillow whilst she recovers and her attendants can tend to her.

As the messenger speaks of the missing patrol and the village he glances at his fellow homoioi and then up at Mikhail as the giant addresses him. He nods emphatically, rising up to his full height, so still only at the goliath's chest. "Aye, we have been well received by the Aristarchus and I am well refreshed and able to have a walk and seek out some entertainment to make a sharp point" At Alkimos's jests he shrugs, "I see better with my one than you do with both, unless its a comely maiden Alkimos. Come, let us work your legs and spear arm rather than your tongue."

Once its clear that the priestess is well looked after he'll don his cloak and look to the messenger boy, "Will you show us the way my Argosian rabbit or are you done now?"
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

The nervous doctor keeps a hand on the horse's bridle as he turns to speak to the group.

"To have absconded with so many people without violence would seem to require an act of the gods or else a massive disordering of the mind. I have no experience with the actions of the gods, but I am a student of mental imbalances. If you are travelling back to investigate, I would be honoured to accompany you."
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm curious enough to come along. If something can disappear the inhabitants of a hamlet, it's something I think my people would want to know about."
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

Agoros muses about the recent news, thinking out loud.
    Having a whole village plus a garrison disappear without trace...that raises some questions. I remember, once, during the Lyncestid campaign...actually, we later all found them back; they had deserted from Arrhabaios' army and wanted to cover their tracks. Lucky for them, that they were found by us, and not by the Lyncestid army, or they would have been all executed. Maybe that could be the explanation here? That last part was directed at Aristarchus.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

10. - Top - End - #100
    Bugbear in the Playground

Agoros, you look like you're worse off now than you were when we first met. You can barely stand. Can you march for 2-3 hours? It's midday now, so there is plenty of daylight to reach at least Mycenae yet today. If you can stomach it, my suggestion would be to get lunch here, then march to Mycenae. We can bed down there, and continue to Rhamnomnos in the morning. That would probably be the smartest idea since it still has a population. If we were to press on all the way to Rhamnomnos, we'd have a few hours of daylight to investigate, and then potentially be sleeping in hostile territory, and that's presuming we don't stop to eat. Better, I think, to rest well tonight and have the full morrow to determine what has happened there. Does anyone in this band have more than basic skill at tracking? I'm sure that would put us in good stead once we arrive, unless everyone really did just disappear.

But if you aren't fit to march, then out with it now so we can plan accordingly.

Mihail looks down at Agoros expectantly.

Spoiler: Out of character
    Show
    If we take the time to eat, that should give Agoros at least time to shake of the exhaustion. He'd still be fatigued until he rests for 8 hours, but he should at least be in a reasonable shape to walk. Exhaustion reducing him to half speed would make for a much longer walk. From a metagame standpoint, an hour's rest + Philistion using Lesser Restoration will actually get him fighting fit. But Mihail doesn't know he can use that particular spell.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Peridokles watches Philistion tend to the horse, eyes wide.

Now that, is impressive. he says softly. I can see why the obsession with cutting, that has your colleagues so in thrall, might leave you frustrated.

He looks back towards the others.

If it's a choice between taking a long hike with a company well-armed, and staying in town not knowing what is causing entire settlements to disappear, I'd rather tag along. With luck this is some kind of raid by beasts or pirates, and we'll be back in a day or two. If we're unlucky, and it's politics, then that will find it's way here in any case.

He spreads his hands apologetically.

Besides - can't disappoint Hera, now can we?

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Agoros ponders for a moment before answering the giant man.
    "...Leaving now, I would take much longer than a few hours to reach Mycenae, let alone Rhamnomnos. I was about to follow this lady here", and the mercenary indicates Berenice, "for some rest; and I have to admit, being able to shut my eyes for an hour or so would allow me to be in a much better shape for the march ahead of us. That seems the more sensible option to me."

That said, he lets himself be tended to by Berenice.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

The healer makes eye contact with Peridokles when the perfumier makes his comment about not disappointing Hera, but says nothing in response.

Philistion then turns his attention to the messenger for the first time. The young doctor has a surfeit of whatever the opposite of 'intimidating' in his blood, but he looks gravely at the young soldier.

"Less spurs and more care will take you further. You have done your job. Now get this horse some food and oats."

The talk about departing immediately draws his attention back to the task at hand. He gives the horse a pat on the cheek and walks over to Agoros.

"Certainly, rest would do you good, and I am content to wait on you. But if you would permit, I know an old magic which rebalances the humours and restores the blood. Would you like to administer it?"

Remembering their previous exchange, Philistion smiles.

"No charge."
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2020-11-15 at 10:55 PM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Agoros smiles back.

"Charge or not, if a taste of your first medicine was any indication, you are most welcome."

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Smiling shyly, the healer leads Agoros to a place where he could sit.

"This will take a moment."

There is a slow drone of six syllables, repeating several time. Philistion's hands trace a delicate pattern across Agoros' scalp. A moment later, there is a feeling of refreshment that spreads through the warrior.

Show
    I'm hoping that Lesser Restoration, which is supposed to remove Fatigued and turn Exhausted to Fatigued, is enough to help.

16. - Top - End - #106

Mihail silently watches the healer use real magic for the second time today. While the first spell is something that a novice could do (though he was clearly more practiced than a novice), this was a much more potent ability.

He lowers his voice down to a rumble. If I needed any greater proof that this group was being pulled together for more than simply a fight, I believe that was just demonstrated to me.

He wonders how many here are capable of true magic. With his own knowledge, that puts nearly half of the group capable of using some kind of supernatural abilities, and that's what he has learned in a single minor situation. How many of the others were holding back, he muses.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Philistion's face colours and dips to his chest.

"All credit for my humble magics go to Apollo, and to my teachers at the Academy. I remain a student in such matters."

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

"Will you show us the way my Argosian rabbit or are you done now?"

Lysias gives a look like he longs to strike the Spartan down, Berenice sees Agoros in safe hands and speaks up

I will go with you, so have no fear of getting lost and then turns to a somewhat surprised Aristarchus before he can interrupt and addresses his him modestly but firmly

Father, I am your obedient daughter, but I am also a servant of Hera. Xanthia cannot travel and there is no one else who knows her visions better than I. If this is part of them, I should be there.

Aristarchus sighs Who am I to thwart the will of the Gods? he looks at Alkimos, Spartan I entrust you with the safety of my daughter, and dismisses Lysias, Proceed to the stables and then spread word to the other strategoi. We need a conference
    Last edited by wilphe; 2020-11-18 at 10:05 PM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

Xanthia is carried away by her servants.
    Aristarchus departs for the Acropolis.
    Berenice arranges for some provisions (Bread, cheese, olives, wine) and a few other supplies on the back of a donkey tended by Breetha

If you want to do anything before leaving the city now's the time. Otherwise you'll be on the road to Mycenae

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Kleandridas

The impassive elf looks at the young boy, a hint of a smile and s light shift of weight as he readies to respond if the boy is stupid enough to respond. As the lad backs down he turns back to the others. At Aristarchus's words to Alkimos he grins at his brother Spartan, a soft whisper to his fellow, "Enjoy your babysitting at the back whilst I reap the glory my friend. You tongue can do much battle n this journey." .. chuckling to himself he is happy to watch the preparations. The only thing distracting again, the horned elven woman, something unsettles him there but e knows not what.

When they are ready to set out Kleandridas strides confidently and is happy to range a little ahead of the party, ears and eye alert to danger. His bow held in his hand, spear and shield slung on his back as he walks.

Show

Spot (1d20+12)[17]
    Listen (1d20+9)[13]
    Tracking (1d20+9)[25]

Kleandridas of Sparta
    M N Blooded One - Wood Elf Ranger 2 / Scout 4, Level 6, Init 6, HP / , DR 1/ S/P, Speed
    AC 25, Touch 16, Flat-footed 20, Fort 9, Ref 13, Will 3, Base Attack Bonus 5
    MW Adamantine Longsword +11 (1d8+5, 19-20)
    MW Bludgeoning Shield +11 (1d8+5, x2)
    Reach Longspear +1 (-) +11 (1d8+6, x3)
    Mithral Breastplate , Heavy Shield (MW) (+5 Armor, +2 Shield, +5 Dex, +1 Deflect, +2 Natural)
    Abilities Str 21, Dex 21, Con 16, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 9
    Condition
    --- Trackless Step
    --- Favoured enemy +4 Human/+2 magical beast [Tracking, spotting, damage]

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Aegea stops while they are at the stables to pick up her horse, but otherwise does not delay the group any.

Once they are out of town, she takes a forward position and scans the forest for threats to the group. From horseback, she carries her bow in a casual low-ready position, just as interested in possible game as she is in danger.
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Philistion

The shy healer begs for a few minutes delay to run back to his shop (to water the plants, scoop up a roll of bandages and put up the ancient Greek equivalent of "Gone Fishing" up on the door). He is back with a sturdy cloak in about 10 minutes.

On the road, Philistion quietly introduces himself to Berenice, and asks more about her family, her mother, and about the progression of her visions.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Agoros closes his eyes with relief as he feels magic coursing through his body and cleansing him. He stands up, less unsteady than a moment before. "You definitely are a healer of great valor, Philistion. Maybe your powers are supported not only by Appolon, but by his Titanid grandmother Phebe."

Not having any competence as a rider, Agoros does not pick a horse from the stables, and starts on foot to follow the expedition. Using his lance as a walking stick to alleviate the burden of the walk, and his shield at the ready, he remains in the middle of the pack near Philistion.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Peridokles disappears for scant few minutes, before returning wearing a light tunic with loose sleeves, and carrying a larger satchel. His eyes are now outlined in black kohl as protection against the sun, the rather Egyptian affectation clashing somewhat with his broad brimmed hat.

He looks at the assembling group, makes a few mental calculations, and then inserts himself neatly into the middle with Philostion and Agoros. The two elves Aegea and Kleandridas are ahead, their sharp eyes alert for danger, which Mihail and Alkimos bring up the rear, guarding Berenice, Dreetha and the donkey that carries the rest of the supplies.
    Last edited by Togo; 2020-11-20 at 07:45 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Philistion offers a small smile in response to Agoros.

"I am a man of science, so will leave such matters of faith to you and others who understand better. I care less about where the power comes from than where it goes. In the same vein, I am pleased to leave acts of valour to you and the other trained soldiers among us. Your success is measured in valour, mine by how many of us are safe at the end."

The boyish elf offers a faint shrug.

"But if you don't mind me asking...that's a much thicker spear than most that I've seen soldiers here train with. What is your inspiration for its use?"

26. - Top - End - #116

Mihail takes a few minutes to resupply what he used up on his journey here, and then proceeds out with everyone else. He's very happy to be end up in the rear with Alkimos. The grizzled veteran is clearly experienced, and he doesn't seem as hot-headed as Kleandridas. Mihail will try to feel out his feelings on Sparta vs Greece in general. And he's curious if they ever ended up in the same battle.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

To his surprise, Alkimos finds he doesn't dislike Mihail once the two get talking, and the Spartan is glad of the shoptalk while Kleandridas is off scouting ahead. This is partially Alkimos's instinct in being a steward of platoons, but also because the two of them have a shared interest in stories, in collecting stories, and remembering the sorts of enemies they have both run into over the years. He finds that Mihail and he fought did indeed fight on opposite sides at one of the later battles of the war, albeit circumstance meant they never actually were close enough to conceivably cross spears in that contest. Mihail did try to draw the Spartan out on politics, but decorum meant Alkimos avoided the somewhat awkward subject other than observing that the Persian shadow in the east has lost none of its potency while the Peloppenese were aflame.

Spoiler: OOC for Aracor
    Show
    Picking up on the fact we both seem to have gone for the the Knowledge Devotion thing. I'd guess they're chatting about the best place to hit a manticore to bring it down to the ground, for example.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Philistion turns to the perfume-seller, Peridokles, walking beside him.

"If you don't mind a slightly personal question?"

He pauses, and does not proceed without a sign of assent.

"Back in the city, you suggested that all of us have military training. You are a clearly a man of diverse talents, but I would not have pictured you as a foot soldier. Would it be inappropriate to ask as to the nature of your service?"
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2020-11-28 at 07:08 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

Agoros smiles at Philistion's inquiry, tapping on his spear shaft with a finger.
    "This is a sarissa. It is made of cornus wood, and as you can see, its length means I can fight behind not one, but two ranks of soldiers, and still have it outreach through these ranks to the ennemies. They are starting to see use in Macedonia, even if they are a quite recent invention."

Spoiler: Sarissa
    Show

I'm ahead of time by about a century, hence Agoros suggesting it's a newfangled device :p
    Last edited by remetagross; 2020-11-28 at 08:56 AM.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Peridokles looks a bit surprised, but waves for the healer to continue. Clearly he was lost in thought. Or maybe he' taken Philostion's interest in the thickness of Mikahil's spear as a conversation into which he should not intrude.

Ah, well... I was military clerk. Lots of little jobs. A bit of investigation. Helping with the medics. Arranging supplies, mostly. There's always a role for a man who can add up fast and accurately, and write neatly in hurry. And eventually that meant hanging around the command tent to advise on who we could move where based on what rations. They didn't really need me for that, they could work it out themselves if they wrote it down. But apparently it was much faster if I did it. They were all like that really. Jobs that any educated people could have done.

He winces.

I suspect they just didn't want to have me in formation. I'm just about strong enough, but... well, l heard the phrase 'madly flailing', more than once. There's a trick, to strike hard without threatening the people fighting close beside you you. Apparently, not one I had learned.

He glances back at Philostion.

I don't actually recall if you said you'd had military experience or not. But no sensible force at arms would turn down a doctor of your experience.
    Last edited by Togo; 2020-11-28 at 10:44 PM.