New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: The Glory that Was Greece -Ancient World 3.5 (IC)

Philistion nods, examining the sarissa with interest but, clearly, no desire to try it out himself. It seems likely that the spear's haft is thicker than the boy's arm.

The young doctor smiles warmly at Peridokles story about his contribution to the war effort.

"I have no battle training myself, but my family hunted and fished a great deal, so I was no stranger to blood, even before beginning my studies. But I've heard it said that an army travels on its stomach, so would suggest that you are underestimating the importance of your contribution to the effort. If the soldiers arrived at battle well-fed, with sandals and shields, that is in itself a major accomplishment.

"Regardless, it remains to be seen whether this is a military mission at all, so to speak. I'm...not sure whether it would be easier to handle if it is, or if it isn't. If you see what I mean."
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

The journey is pleasant enough, you are travelling at the hottest time of the day but it is still pretty early in the year. At first the road runs through fairly well cultivated land with barley in the fields and the odd vegetable plot near the dwellings. Most of the farmers are taking a break, but otherwise things see calm and normal enough.

After about an hour or so you start to climb and the land becomes less densely cultivated - giving Aegea the opportunity to bag a hare - and the population thinner. The village now loosely referred to as Mycenae sits below the ruins of the old palace complex - now razed and abandoned.

The ruins themselves are dour and ancient even within the reckoning of elves where even the oldest remember the glories of the court of Great Agamemnon only in the way a human elder remembers their fifth birthday.

The "new" village has maybe a few score of inhabitants working the local land and is home to a detachment of half a dozen cavalry who are camping in an adjacent olive grove. Their commander doesn't really volunteer anymore details - though feel free to pump him for some - and both he and his men are visibly on edge whilst the locals are openly discussing moving down closer to Argos until this is resolved.

Spoiler: K/Local or History 10
    Show
    Mycenae was a small but functioning town until a few generations ago when Argos levelled it

Spoiler: Everybody knows this
    Show
    A lot of very bad stuff happened at Mycenae including a lot of inter-family murder and at least two cases of cannibalism

Spoiler: K/Religion or Arcana 10
    Show
    These being the sort of events that give a place significance. It's not specifically magical but there's a background hum and with a bit of research and preparation this would probably be a good place to perform certain magic.

Of course performing without that research and preparation would probably be a good way to get yourself in a heap of trouble

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    On the road, Philistion quietly introduces himself to Berenice, and asks more about her family, her mother, and about the progression of her visions.
    Berenice is polite enough - walking along effortlessly under a parasol. She lost her birth mother Calanthe at a young age and whilst Xanthia is a distant blood relative the two of them ended up quite close because of it.

Her elder brother Hector is serving in the forces of Argos on the frontier with Sparta and her younger brother Cleon is in Sparta going through the agoge

Spoiler: Sense Motive 10
    Show
    There is some tension between her and her father Aristarchus

Spoiler: Sense Motive 15
    Show
    He doesn't like her spending so much time at the Temple recently

Spoiler: Sense Motive 20
    Show
    She doesn't approve of her little brother being sent to Sparta

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

Nothing will happen overnight unless you make it happen, so you can either make something happen or work out how you are going to approach Rhamnomnos

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

While amiably chatting with Philistion about the specifics of his weapon, Agoros takes care not to miss the exchange between the healer and Berenice. Noticing certain body language patterns, Agoros ponders a moment before waiting for a lull to gently enter the conversation.

"If I understand correctly, Lady Berenice, with your two brothers away from Argos, you are now the sole family your father has in town. I suppose he cherishes the moments you two can spend together, between your father's and yourself's various occupations."
    Last edited by remetagross; 2020-12-01 at 06:08 AM.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Philistion is happy to share his own stories of tension with his father by means of helping to draw Berenice out.

"Oh, my father would tell you that he's very proud of his son the doctor...now. But five years ago, when I begged him to leave off helping on his fishing boat to go study, you would have thought that I was tearing out his liver!"

As the group arrived in Mycenae, Philistion quickly confers with his companions.

"Perhaps the cavalrymen would speak most readily to the soldiers among us. If we can spare a few minutes, I'll see if I can offer my services in exchange for any word of what they may have heard from further up the road."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Knowledge local (1d20+7)[15]
    Sense Motive for Berenice (1d20+10)[14]

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

Aegea takes her kill and grins like a child who just won a game. Every kill is something to feel pride for. She gives thanks for the hare (which would be an excellent ingredient for dinner tonight), and ties it to her side for butchering later.

”So almost any of us. I’ll chat them up and see if there’s anything to learn.”
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Meanwhile, the shy doctor makes his way over to the cluster of buildings that marked the new chapter in the life of Mycenae.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

I suppose he cherishes the moments you two can spend together, between your father's and yourself's various occupations.

That would be right, but he also misses having a free woman to run the house which I have been doing for him since I was the height of a halfling. He could take another wife of course.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

Aegea:

Your arrival is greeted with some interest, but the soldiers relax when they see Berenice.

The lochagos is a young man in his early 20s named Jaraxes who combines an aristocratic air of command with the uncertainty of someone having to confront real danger and responsibility for the first time in his life.

We left a patrol of 4 there overnight with orders to try to push through the pass and try to make contact with Corinth. Rest of us were to patrol the hills. After two days we had no word so went to see what was up.

Whole place was empty, no people, no animals like they just got up and left in the middle of the night. I got us the hell out of there sharpish and pulled back to secure here, send a messenger and wait for orders and reinforcements

Spoiler: Sense Motive 15
    Show
    It seems they have a low opinion of Lysias and were glad to get rid of him

Spoiler: lochagos
    Show
    Has a lot of variation in how big and important the lochos he commands is; but here he is in charge of 8-16 people. That could put him anywhere from a corporal to a junior officer; probably closer to the latter as he has the independent command of a bunch of aristocratic kids

Philistion:

There are tiny hamlets like this all over Greece anywhere safe enough to be worth living but not productive enough to support a larger settlement and they mostly haven't changed since Agamemnon's time. The only thing remarkable about this one is it's location. There's a few women milking goats and spinning and some men doing a bit of carpentry.

Spoiler: Spot DC10
    Show
    All the men, all the boys large enough and quite a few of the females too have weapons nearby. Spears, clubs, slings or just rocks for throwing.

Spoiler: Untrained WIS Check or P/Farmer or K/Nature DC 10
    Show
    There's a lot more animals here than normal - they'd normally be out and around seeking fresh pasture. It seems the inhabitants aren't taking any chances and/or are getting ready to move out

Spoiler: Spot DC10
    Show
    You notice one of the women has a fresh burn on her arm, probably from cooking. It is not very well dressed with little more than a rag poorly tied around it.
    Last edited by wilphe; 2020-12-02 at 01:02 AM.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

Kleandridas

Kleandridas enjoyed the march through the hills and the dust, his eye and bow scanning the crags and shrubs

As they reach the village he takes a long drink from his water skin before heading towards the well to refill it. He nods to Aegea, "You were peckish then? A nice hare. "

As they mingle he heads towards the small unit of Argosians, cloak swishing behind him as he looks down at the young aristocrats. Spying the lochagos he marches up to him. "Did you search for the missing or scurry back here? Why have you not sought out your missing men?" His flat tone makes no effort to hide his disapproval.

Show

Spot (1d20+12)[31]

Kleandridas of Sparta
    M N Blooded One - Wood Elf Ranger 2 / Scout 4, Level 6, Init 6, HP / , DR 1/ S/P, Speed
    AC 25, Touch 16, Flat-footed 20, Fort 9, Ref 13, Will 3, Base Attack Bonus 5
    MW Adamantine Longsword +11 (1d8+5, 19-20)
    MW Bludgeoning Shield +11 (1d8+5, x2)
    Reach Longspear +1 (-) +11 (1d8+6, x3)
    Mithral Breastplate , Heavy Shield (MW) (+5 Armor, +2 Shield, +5 Dex, +1 Deflect, +2 Natural)
    Abilities Str 21, Dex 21, Con 16, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 9
    Condition
    --- Trackless Step
    --- Favoured enemy +4 Human/+2 magical beast [Tracking, spotting, damage]

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

I'm sorry has Sparta conquered Argos too now? If so congratulations this is your problem now. If not, I don't answer to you and don't talk to me like I am a helot

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

To Kleandridas
    ”No, I figured it would make a good ingredient for stew tonight for the group.”

“Excuse the Spartan. He’s from Sparta,” Aegea says with a smile. ”We are serving as protection for an employer and just wish to know about any danger on the path ahead. Your men looked a bit on edge, so it so we assumed something had happened and wanted to ask about dangers on the path ahead.

“I am curious though why you decided to leave there so quickly, though,”
    Aegea continues, thinking back to the hamlet that had vanished. “You say there was no trace of them at all? No signs of struggle? No footprints? What persuaded you to return here rather than seek out your subordinates?”
    Spoiler
    Show
    I don’t preemptively roll anything, so if you need a check, please ask me.

Show

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Peridokles seem more interested in the site than the people. He picks his way, seemingly at random, over little rocks and between small bushes, talking softly to himself, his path taking him indirectly but inexorably, towards the old ruins, like a wasp meandering around spilled wine. At one particularly prominent stone, speckled with lichen and scarred with old carvings worn down with wind and time, he stops. Setting up a very small cup on the stone, he pours a small libation into it from a flask, but makes no move to drink it. Instead he leans against the stone and looks around, still taking to himself, as if expecting a child to be creeping up on him.

Spoiler: Listen DC 10 if you're following him, DC 20 if not
    Show

Yes, it is, isn't it? But what kind of 'shivery feeling', that's the question? Is it all old or did something more recent happen- <pause> well of course you weren't, but can you tell now? <long pause> Well then maybe if you lend me your eyes, then I could- What? But what do you want with mine? <pause> Look, it's not 'some trick' it's just a different perspective on- Ok, then a different perspective and a lot of training, but I still don't think it will-. Well yes, ok, we'll try.

Sight! Oh spirits of the air and sky, grant to me the fondness of great Helios for his most wise and beauteous daughter, let his regard be entrusted to his mother's grace. That I may sift, from Hecate's murk of ages past, the workings of more recent hands!

And while that song is sung, and should that gift be given, perhaps there is another place for you and yours. A gift in friendship, both in the Gleaming One's grace, and on this ancient stone.

Spoiler: Knowledge religion DC 10
    Show
    Helios is the god of the sun, and of light, and thus perception. Also the patron of Rhodes.

Hecate is the goddess of witchcraft and magic

Spoiler: Knowledge religion DC 15
    Show
    Helios had three daughters Aeetes, Circe, and Pasiphae. Circe, the enchantress, was renowned for her magical knowledge. And for turning people into animals or monsters.

The 'gleaming one' is probably Theia, the Titan of vision and sight, and Helios' mother. She is also responsible for the beauty of gold.

Spoiler: Spellcraft DC 10
    Show
    In the second spoken paragraph, Peridokles is casting detect magic. The third spoken paragraph is not identifiably a spell, although he certain seems to be concentrating on something.

Spoiler: GM only
    Show
    Peridokles is using his detect spirits class ability, as well as casting detect magic. Wandering around the village and ruins, does he detect any signs of disturbed or restless spirits, or ongoing magic?
    Last edited by Togo; 2020-12-02 at 08:00 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Philistion approaches the closest man working by his home. The slender doctor looks inoffensive enough, but opens his hands to show that he is unarmed save for his healer's belt pack.

"Good afternoon, sir! I am a travelling healer, and wonder if any here have injuries or illnesses in need of tending. Also, we are travelling up the road, and wonder if there is any news to be had from that direction."

He looks around at the gathered animals, and decides to deliberately mistake the meaning.

"I don't understand. Are you preparing for a market day?"

Show
    Spot checks (1d20+7)[26] and (1d20+7)[16]

Diplomacy to make friendly: (1d20+9)[21]

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Kleandridas

At the man's comment about Sparta conquering Argos the elf's lips curl into a sneer, a clear insult about to spoken until Aegea then intervenes. He listens to his fellow aisrai and waits for the officer to respond. A glance at Aegea, a "Strange to make them all vanish with no sign of bloodshed, They must have been taken by surprise by a larger force."

Show

Kleandridas of Sparta
    M N Blooded One - Wood Elf Ranger 2 / Scout 4, Level 6, Init 6, HP / , DR 1/ S/P, Speed
    Mithral Breastplate , Heavy Shield (MW) (+5 Armor, +2 Shield, +5 Dex, +1 Deflect, +2 Natural)
    Condition
    --- Trackless Step

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Agoros keeps conversing with an amiable tone.
    "And why wouldn't he do so? Surely, he cannot hope to always have his daughter by his side while she inevitably rises in the ranks of the clergy of Hera."
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

"I don't understand. Are you preparing for a market day?"

One of the older men looks Philistion up and down and then spits an olive stone into the corner

Getting ready to move everything into the city. Too dangerous to stay here. People been disappearing on the road for weeks. City authorities didn't believe us. They think we're just a bunch of superstitious peasants fussing about nuthing.

So they sent a bunch of useless aristo pretty boys to show us there was nothin; now half of them have vanished too and the whole of the next village along the road and they are in a hell of a funk.

Good job you showed up with Lady Berenice or you'd have found us much less friendly.

He pauses

And in answer to your inevitable followup question, no we don't know what it is - but we know it's real.

Some say its the Nemean Lion returned

Bellos over there claims he's heard strange singing in the hills, when he's been on watch at night. Could be. His ears are sharper than the rest of us.

Or some damn idiot has been poking round the palace and meddled with somthing he shouldna. Always weird stuff going on up there. That's why we leave the place well alone

Or it's mundane slavers; but seems unlikely. The war just ended and there's a glut of slaves. Might pick up a pretty little thing for m'self if I have to sell the herd.

He winks lasciviously and a few standing by him chuckle

Now if you are looking to ply your trade we had Melissa burn herself the other day. And I'm sure you could find sore joints, bad skin and teeth to pull if you look at all of us.
    Last edited by wilphe; 2020-12-14 at 08:57 AM.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Togo View Post

Spoiler: GM only
    Show
    Peridokles is using his detect spirits class ability, as well as casting detect magic. Wandering around the village and ruins, does he detect any signs of disturbed or restless spirits, or ongoing magic?
    Spoiler: Peridokles
    Show

There's nothing in the village - though you do get some suspicious looks.

In the ruins there is a background hum of old and powerful magic - mostly tuned to Divination, Necromancy and Conjuration.

There are two spots of note. What appears to be an old grave with a flavour of Divination and an old stone table with a flavour of Divination and Conjuration. The latter also has recent bloodstains and the remains of some burnt offerings on and around it.

For spirits - you cannot pin it down as they seem to be all around but only in rat sized spots that are apparently unintelligent but give off a vibe of pain and malevolence

20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground

"And why wouldn't he do so? Surely, he cannot hope to always have his daughter by his side while she inevitably rises in the ranks of the clergy of Hera."

She smiles wanly

Now you may understand perhaps why he does not totally approve of my activities

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

“I am curious though why you decided to leave there so quickly, though,”

"Strange to make them all vanish with no sign of bloodshed, They must have been taken by surprise by a larger force."

Jaraxes looks about him and steps a little closer conspiratorially

We were sent out here to show the shield and calm the countrymen who've been spreading all sorts of wild tales and speculation.

Maybe we'd find a few travelers who had fallen off the path or deter the odd bandit into leaving and seeking easier prey, but no more.

If a local lion or beast had turned maneater. We send for a tracker and some beastslayers; because none of us are trackers and cavalry are little use in these hills away from the roads.

If it is a serious problem doctrine calls for overwhelming force rather than a series of escalating defeats in detail until you send enough. We are not overwhelming force.

I don't think there was a large force or even we would have found some tracks or signs - but as I said we are not trackers so you may do better.

So no, we gave the buildings a quick check and found nothing. Then I got us out of there while I could still maintain some discipline. My boys have been listening to the villagers gossip and camping out in sight of the ruins - so they were spooked. Still are in fact. Show them a visible enemy and they'll do fine, but that's not what we face here.

I know little of monsters or magic - but I know when I am outclassed.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Peridokles meanders back towards the villagers, deep in thought. He pauses and looks back, this time up at the hills surrounding the site, shading his eyes against the high sun.

Spoiler: GM
    Show
    Was the old grave old village work, or an ancient grave belonging to the ancient ruins?

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: GM
    Show
    Was the old grave old village work, or an ancient grave belonging to the ancient ruins?
    Spoiler: Peridokles
    Show
    In the ruins. The village is entirely mundane apart from the PCs in it.

You can speculate that a grave in Mycenae that radiates divination is going to be or associated with Cassandra but that would need some work to verify

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Agoros calmly strolls next to the head of the Argosian patrol.
    "Well, I cannot say whether there is a tracker among us"
    though the mercenary glances at Aegea while speaking, "nor whether we constitute what can be called an overwhelming force, but at the very least we can slay some beasts."

Turning to the elder that has spoken up, Agoros softly adds
    "Maybe one of yours could lead us through the general direction where the sounds were heard? Bellos, maybe?"

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Kleandridas

Chatting to the others as he squats by the fire drinking some sour wine and eating a chunk of goat and bread he grinned at Aklos and Aegea.
    "So the famed Lion eh, a fine pelt he will make for our school in Sparta. I fancy a spear tipped with its claws don't you?" he asks the others. Cocksure in his own own and his brother Spartan's abilities to kill a large cat.

Looking at the others, he gestures to the mountain path. "Shall we explore first thing in the morning? See if we can find what these young ladies missed."

Show

Kleandridas of Sparta
    Condition
    --- Trackless Step

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Peridokles joins the group of soldiers, giving a nod to Agoros and Aegea.

Hi, sorry to intrude. Does anyone happen to know who's been poking around in the ruins over there? I thought it might be useful to have a chat with them?

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

"Maybe one of yours could lead us through the general direction where the sounds were heard? Bellos, maybe?"

The Elder laughs grimly,

What say you Bellos?

A man in more or less vigorous early age who has been sharpening arrows shakes his head

You want to join me on watch tonight and hear if they come back you are welcome. I could do with the company. Other than that I hear them in the mountains I don't know where they are coming from and I ain't keen to go look

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

Hi, sorry to intrude. Does anyone happen to know who's been poking around in the ruins over there? I thought it might be useful to have a chat with them?
    We leave well alone. We're all too ignorant to try and wise enough not to want to.

Spoiler: Sense Motive DC0
    Show
    He thinks Peridokles is one of those dumb enough to want to try

Every so often someone comes by and tries something. Sometimes we seem them again. Sometimes we don't - and we don't go looking. If you don't know the stories about that place I'll remind yah

29. - Top - End - #149
    Troll in the Playground

Show
    I know some people know these stories; but not everyone, and there are different versions. This is his

At least you are not being charged 200GP for these

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0122.html

Tantalus was a son of Zeus. He decided he wanted to test the Gods so killed his son Pelops and served him to the Gods.

There is much shaking of heads and murmuring of disapproval

The Gods of course are wise and knowing and thus did not eat poor Pelops. All save gentle Demeter who was distracted at the time as Hades had just abducted her daughter Persephone and ate his shoulder.

In any case the Gods threw the evil Tantalus down into Tarterus and brought Pelops back to life. Poseidon taking him to Olympus, as he was an attractive youth, and trained him to drive the chariot of Helios

When mighty Zeus found out about this he banished Pelops from Olympus in horror at what had happened

Pelops travelled on earth and came to the country of King Oenomaus where he cast his eyes on his daughter Hippodamia and desired her for his wife. To do so he had to defeat the King in a chariot race - 18 before him had tried and failed and Oenomaus had taken their heads and nailed them to the columns of his palace for he was afraid of a prophecy that said he would be killed by his daughters husband

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

”I didn’t hear anything about ladies,” she says with a glance to the Spartan, “but that could be interesting. Though we shouldn’t get too side tracked playing historian.”

Show