New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: The Glory that Was Greece -Ancient World 3.5 (IC)

Philistion nods.

"I thank you, sir. If you can point me in the direction of Melissa, hers does sound like the most serious malady. I am committed to travelling with the these men, but if they allow me to linger, I would be pleased to see to the rest of your needs. If you are to be travelling to the city, and to a new life, then it would be well to do so on feet that aren't aching."

Philistion takes directions to Melissa, with whom he bows, and introduces himself again.

"After the great troubles your village has faced of late, the least that I can do is to ease the pain of your injury. May I take a look?"

If it doesn't seem like a supernatural injury, then Philistion will do his best to bandage the wound, offering words of advice about how to avoid irritating the site in the time of travel ahead.

From there, Philistion circles back to Bellos. Enchanted music could certainly explain how people could disappear without violence or previous disposition. Music stirred the blood, sometimes in healthy ways, but often in ways that deceived the body's natural inclinations. To Bellos, Philistion makes gentle inquiries.

"We are travelling on toward the village that has vanished, and I am inclined to believe that the music that you heard last night is connected. Could you tell me any more about what you heard? Was it a single voice, or many? A human voice, or something else altogether? High or low? Anything that you remember could be of some use."

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Taking 10 on the heal check for 23.

Diplomacy with Bellos: [roll]120+9[/roll]
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

Mihail chuckles at the story of Tantalus. He'll wait until at least the majority of the villagers have walked away, and speaks in a low voice, to show no disrespect:
    I have heard it said that Persephone actually went willingly to the realm of Hades, and Demeter was simply a mother who would not recognize that her daughter had grown up. If so, do you think Hecate's leading Demeter around could be a double-edged gift? A gift to Demeter of helping her recover her daughter, and also a gift to Hades and Persephone - a honeymoon free of Demeter?

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    If there are any Dresden Files fans here, that's where I'm blatantly stealing this from.

On a more serious note, it seems that what we don't know vastly outnumbers what we do. And it seems that mere force of arms, while it may eventually be needed, will take a second horse compared to actually unraveling this mystery in the first place. Does anyone among us have enough skill at tracking to determine if they just left, or something else happened? I'm an indifferent tracker at best. I know much of the natural world, and a smattering of many other subjects. I would still suggest the original plan: Spend the night here, and travel on early in the morning to have a whole day to explore. That will even give Philistion time to leverage his skills to help the people here.

He speaks even lower for the final point, trying to make sure that none of the villagers hear And while we may end up needing to look in the ruins, I would prefer we search the village first and exhaust every other option before doing so, as well as keeping knowledge of our exploration away from the villagers here if it ends up being necessary.
    Last edited by Aracor; 2020-12-16 at 03:34 PM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Peridokles blinks. Well someone's been messing around over there. There's fresh blood on ancient stone, and the remains of candles. But if, as you say, that's a regular thing, maybe it's not related.

He pauses, and looks at the sky again. And speaking of the chariot of Helios, it's still racing. Are we stopping here for the night, or moving on?

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

Agoros listens intently to the villagers's tale.
    "Well Mihail, I would agree with you. There is much data to be gathered here - maybe more to gain from these observations Peridokles just made." Speaking in a hushed tone, he carries on:
    "And giving Philistion enough time to look after the villagers might help us earn their trust and entice them to speak a little more about all that happened."

That being said, the mercenary goes to the rock Philistion has been investigating, and thoroughly examines it.
    "Traces of blood and candles, you say? This says "divine ritual" to me like few other things. It might be an innocuous sacrifice, it might be something else. Are we finding remains of other ritual items around here? Wine stains on the rock, ashes from a small fire or torch, or even footprints from a congregated circle around that rock?"

Agoros proceeds to look for these various clues.
    Show

Taking 20 on a Search check, result is 33.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Kleandridas

Hearing talk about blood being spilled and possible strange rituals the one eyed elf shakes his head. "I do not trust sorcerers, magic offers power without pain," he flexes his arms, "Strength is only gained through determination, and without constant sacrifice is lost as easily." Still mumbling to himself he paces after Agoros, spear in hand just in case anything untoward happens. Not keen to leave any otheri small party on their own when mysterious disappearances have been reported.

Show

Kleandridas of Sparta
    M N Blooded One - Wood Elf Ranger 2 / Scout 4, Level 6, Init 6, HP / , DR 1/ S/P, Speed
    AC 25, Touch 16, Flat-footed 20, Fort 9, Ref 13, Will 3, Base Attack Bonus 5
    MW Adamantine Longsword +11 (1d8+5, 19-20)
    MW Bludgeoning Shield +11 (1d8+5, x2)
    Reach Longspear +1 (-) +11 (1d8+6, x3)
    Mithral Breastplate , Heavy Shield (MW) (+5 Armor, +2 Shield, +5 Dex, +1 Deflect, +2 Natural)
    Abilities Str 21, Dex 21, Con 16, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 9
    Condition
    --- Trackless Step
    --- Favoured enemy +4 Human/+2 magical beast [Tracking, spotting, damage]

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Peridokles watches Argos for a moment, and then steps forward.

if I might venture a suggestion? A radial search pattern is certainly thorough, but takes a great deal of time. If we employ a geometric approach, using these landmarks, things should proceed much more quickly. If I start here and head in this direction....

Spoiler: Argos' Action
    Show
    If Argos doesn't want to use the scholar's suggestion, Peridokles won't press. However, if he does, he gets a +4 (untyped bonus) to his search check.
    Last edited by Togo; 2020-12-20 at 11:00 AM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

When Agoros mentions divine magic, Aegea steps over to him at the stone, and without another word to the group casts Detect Magic, her attention first on the general area, but then focusing on the stone.

She chuckles a little at Kleandridas. ”Magic is a tool and skill, just like any other.”
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Agoros is surprised to be interrupted - but after listening to the perfumer's suggestion, he shrugs.

"Why not. I am not a scientist like you are, so let's go with your advice."

The mercenary then proceeds to search the rock the way Peridokles has intructed him to.

Show
    Search result is now 37.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

"After the great troubles your village has faced of late, the least that I can do is to ease the pain of your injury. May I take a look?"

I can't pay ye so ye know

Melissa is an unremarkable and apparently taciturn woman in early middle age but she holds her arm out for examination. The injury itself is a cooking burn that looks to be a few days old. It's not infected, but certainly swollen and in danger of developing an infection. Philistion cleans it up, gives her something for the swelling and explains the importance of clean dressings. She nods her understanding and grunts her thanks

"We are travelling on toward the village that has vanished, and I am inclined to believe that the music that you heard last night is connected. Could you tell me any more about what you heard? Was it a single voice, or many? A human voice, or something else altogether? High or low? Anything that you remember could be of some use."

Bellos shrugs

Sounded female - or coulda been boys I spose. More than one of them.

Like I say - if you are that curious join me tonight

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Togo View Post
    Well someone's been messing around over there. There's fresh blood on ancient stone, and the remains of candles. But if, as you say, that's a regular thing, maybe it's not related.
    The elder nods

Once or twice a year - often when someone has looked at the stars and decided that they are "right". If you ask me there is never a right time to do that

11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    The mercenary then proceeds to search the rock the way Peridokles has instructed him to.

Show
    Search result is now 37.
    Apart from yourselves there only seems to be one recent set of tracks around the table - human. There was a heavy thunderstorm three days ago, so those footprints cannot be older than that. Which is also consistent with the condition of the most recent bloodstains and the remnants of the last burnt offering.

There is also a faint smell coming of one of the nearby pillars; Peridokles will recognise it as sulphur.

Further out from this immediate area there are some places where tracks seems a mess - imprints of hands and feet but in no kind of pattern or order. They don't seem to lead anywhere - they are just there in a couple of metre radius of walls or fallen pillars

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Aegea
    Show

Aegea gets the same information as Peridokles:

In the ruins there is a background hum of old and powerful magic - mostly tuned to Divination, Necromancy and Conjuration.

There are two spots of note. What appears to be an old grave with a flavour of Divination and an old stone table with a flavour of Divination and Conjuration. The latter also has recent bloodstains and the remains of some burnt offerings on and around it.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    Still mumbling to himself he paces after Agoros, spear in hand just in case anything untoward happens. Not keen to leave any otheri small party on their own when mysterious disappearances have been reported.
    There is no obvious threat to fight, so for the moment Kleandridas can only bide his time and stay watchful

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Philistion

Bellos shrugs

Sounded female - or coulda been boys I spose. More than one of them.

Like I say - if you are that curious join me tonight
    Philistion nods.

"Thank you, Bellos. That sounds reasonable. Let me consult."

Trotting over to the group who have been chatting with the soldiers.

"A man of the village, Bellos, heard multiple voices, women or men, in the distance last night. Maenads, perhaps? This certainly could be tied to the mass disappearance. I'd recommend that we camp nearby and join Bellos tonight."
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wilphe View Post
    Spoiler: Aegea
    Show

Aegea gets the same information as Peridokles:

In the ruins there is a background hum of old and powerful magic - mostly tuned to Divination, Necromancy and Conjuration.

There are two spots of note. What appears to be an old grave with a flavour of Divination and an old stone table with a flavour of Divination and Conjuration. The latter also has recent bloodstains and the remains of some burnt offerings on and around it.

Aegea walks over to the tablet and picks it up to inspect more closely. Huh, Divination and Conjuration... She walks over to the grave and looks at it more closely. If there is text, she asks for help. ”Would someone mind reading these to me? My family never taught us literacy like the settled people do.”
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

16. - Top - End - #166

Mihail will walk up and read the text for Aegea.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

Show
    I did say table not tablet right? But let's take this and run with it

Aegea scrapes off the table revealing some writing carved around the edge. Examining it Mihail doesn't recognise the alphabet it is written in; however Peridokles sees that it is Ancient Mycenean.

It only says

Wake me - and tell me thy plaint of dead men's hate intolerable

When no gods rouse themselves for vengeance - call on I

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Once Peridokles has finished translating, he says quietly over Aegea's shoulder.

Looks like someone has been trying to summon the vengeful dead. That looks really quite dangerous. I suspect we should leave it well alone.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

Show
    So, you are leaving the ruins and going to join Bellos in the night watch or something else?

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

"Huh", says Agoros to Peridokles. "And that someone might well have succeeded. There is a mess of tracks around that rock", he says while indicating the area, "but they are not connected to any entering or leaving path of tracks. Either the way they have taken to come here has been swept clean or something, or they have just appeared and disappeared out and into nowhere.".

Taking a few watchful steps back, Agoros closes near Philistion.
    "Your suggestion seems sensible, Philistion. I prefer facing enthralling voices than conjured dead spirits. Let us watch with Bellos tonight."

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

Having decided that while there are interesting things in the ruins of Ancient Mycenae they are not worth messing with whilst there is no evidence that they are in anyway connected with the immediate issue at hand the group returns to the village.

After eating the group rests early ready to join Bellos on his watch sometime around midnight

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

The moon is a few days off full but there is no cloud so it's quite easy to see.

Bellos takes you up to the rooftop of his house where there is a small pile of slingstones and rocks and a few torches and ready brands by a brazier containing slowly glowing charcoal.

He grunts, Fire's not for warmth nor light; so we just keep it alight see? Don't want to destroy your nightvision. It's there in case we need fire in a hurry for summat that fears it and I dont wanna to be fumbling with flint and tinder when that happens

Show
    Unless you've anything to prep or do; listen checks please

23. - Top - End - #173
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Peridokles spends most of the evening talking softly to himself, reasoning through what he's seen and taking mental notes.

Spoiler: Listen
    Show
    Listen (1d20+6)[8]

24. - Top - End - #174

Listen Check: (1d20+2)[22]

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

Agoros takes place near Bellos, and takes advantage of the calm night to whisper a prayer to the Old One. His hearing has always been disastrous anyway, and the buzzes in his mind often break his concentration and makes it even harder for him to focus on exterior sounds.

Listen; (1d20-3)[8]

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

Show
    Bellos (1d20)[20]+8 Listen

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

There's the crunch on gravel as one of Jaraxe's unit occasionally shifts about whilst on sentry duty, otherwise it's really quiet.

Spoiler: Listen DC5
    Show
    It sure is quiet
    Spoiler: Listen DC10
    Show
    Really quiet
    Spoiler: Listen DC15
    Show
    Unnaturally quiet to the point of being almost unsettling
    Spoiler: Listen DC20
    Show
    Wait, there is some singing in the mountains
    Spoiler: Listen DC25
    Show
    Sounds female but maybe not human? Not any language you recognise

Bellos stares out into the mountains alert - he definitely heard something

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

Show
    So I think that is just Mihail and Klenadridas

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Kleandridas

Kleandridas rises to his feet, spear in hand as he gazes up into the hills "Do you hear that? Unearthly singing from the hills." He looks up towards the slopes. Looking around and seeing Mikhail looking up, "WHere do you think its coming from, if we take the direction we can head there in the dawn light?"

Gazing out into the darkness, even with his one good eye, "Its not wise to traverse the wilds in the dark without those who are used to such things."

Show

Kleandridas of Sparta
    M N Blooded One - Wood Elf Ranger 2 / Scout 4, Level 6, Init 6, HP / , DR 1/ S/P, Speed
    AC 25, Touch 16, Flat-footed 20, Fort 9, Ref 13, Will 3, Base Attack Bonus 5
    MW Adamantine Longsword +11 (1d8+5, 19-20)
    MW Bludgeoning Shield +11 (1d8+5, x2)
    Reach Longspear +1 (-) +11 (1d8+6, x3)
    Mithral Breastplate , Heavy Shield (MW) (+5 Armor, +2 Shield, +5 Dex, +1 Deflect, +2 Natural)
    Abilities Str 21, Dex 21, Con 16, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 9
    Condition
    --- Trackless Step
    --- Favoured enemy +4 Human/+2 magical beast [Tracking, spotting, damage]

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

30. - Top - End - #180

I DO hear something! Singing...but I'm afraid I can't tell where it's actually coming from. It seems to be bouncing among the hills. Maybe if we listen for a while, we can understand it a bit more, or at least identify where it's coming from.