New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Building a Summoner as a tank?

I'm trying to come up with just a bunch of weird options as tanks:
    I know a properly built Inquisitor with the right spells could be viable as a tank.
    I am thinking a Summoner could be too, but I don't know a whole lot about summoners.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Building a Summoner as a tank?

Ignoring Synthesist for the moment.

Well, they can eventually shift evolutions from their Eidolon to themselves, gain AC/Saves(+2 at 4, +4 at 12) while within the Eidolon's reach, and any damage that reduces them below 0 can be transferred over to the Eidolon instead (at 14).

They start with Light armor proficiency and can ignore arcane spell failure while in it. However, at higher levels, its probably more advantageous to do something like Deific Obedience(Arshea) #2 boon, Cha to AC as an Armor bonus. Summoners really only care about Charisma, so it should be sky-high.

Summoners have a pretty good buff list: Ablative Barrier, Blood Armor, Barkskin, Resist Energy, Wind Wall... just to look that their 2nd level spells only.

Its probably easier just to buff their Eidolon and use the Eidolon as the tank and the Summoner as the support, but it could happen. I've been in games with Summoners (both chained and unchained), and in one case they basically played their Eidolon (unchained Elemental) 'Dragon' as their character, and their Summoner as a poor human that they forced into servitude to (occasionally) buff them. Other than a decent Charisma (for uses of their SLA, and bonus spells) they don't really need stats, so you can afford good Con and Dex/whatever for AC. The same player also had another unchained Summoner who basically played 2 identical 'orcs' with greataxes using the Ancestor subtype for their Eidolon.

Basically, what do you mean by 'tank' and someone can probably make it work on any class.
    Last edited by Firebug; 2020-10-15 at 02:05 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3

It's pretty easy to tank when you can put disposable sacks of HP between the enemies and your backline

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeySage View Post
    I'm trying to come up with just a bunch of weird options as tanks:
    I know a properly built Inquisitor with the right spells could be viable as a tank.
    I am thinking a Summoner could be too, but I don't know a whole lot about summoners.
    As others have mentioned - how do you define "tank?" Other than being a frontliner for the party, what do you want the character to be able to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Firebug View Post
    The same player also had another unchained Summoner who basically played 2 identical 'orcs' with greataxes using the Ancestor subtype for their Eidolon.
    Ooh, I like this concept. *steals*
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The identical orcs concept worked pretty well. For starters, the Eidolon's look is up to the Summoner, and both have the same sigil on their forehead. Granted, the base Eidolon description says the Summoner can't make the Eidolon look like a specific person/creature, but then the Ancestor description says it is an idealized version of a specific ancestor. Regardless, it should be pretty simple to look identical with a little paint, ie Disguise Kit.

The Player just had 2 models that were exactly the same, and just wrote an A or B in sharpie on the bottom of the base. Of course, if the Eidolon started doing stuff that was out of the ordinary(I think it may have had reach) it was obvious, but at least when the fight starts its hard to tell them apart. I forget if he picked Sorcerer or Fighter simple class, but I want to say it was Sorcerer so they could both cast spells for more confusion. But they played like double fighter most of the time.
    Last edited by Firebug; 2020-10-15 at 05:09 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Question Re: Building a Summoner as a tank?

I mean I don't need them to be identical to one another - but a tribal summoner (say, an orc "shaman") channeling an ancient ancestral hero to defend their lands would be pretty awesome. Though I suppose a Spiritualist+Phantom could pull that off too.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

7. - Top - End - #7

HalflingPirate

By tank I mean either a wall of flesh and magic that can take a lot of punishment, or being able to call up a wall of flesh and magic that can take a lot of punishment.
    Last edited by MonkeySage; 2020-10-15 at 08:24 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

By tank I mean either a wall of flesh and magic that can take a lot of punishment, or being able to call up a wall of flesh and magic that can take a lot of punishment.
    so, a summoner

9. - Top - End - #9

A summoner can certainly do both, though the former is more the province of the synthesist.

Your first step is determining whether you want (as well as whether your GM allows you) to use the base summoner or the unchained summoner. In general, the unchained summoner is weaker because the base summoner is widely seen as overpowered, but your table may vary.

Once you decide on a summoner, start with a handbook and then come back with any questions.

https://rpgbot.net/pathfinder/charac...sses/summoner/
    https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...inder-Summoner
    https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...ner-Mini-Guide
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy