Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Portal to D&D IC - In4Dimensions

I spend how much money on this game and it still lags out on me? Juli wonders incredulously as she waits for a response from the human. She also fries one of the dead rabbits with her Energy Splash, hoping to at least make it edible. Her stomach was starting to rumble, even though she thought she had turned off hunger and thirst settings. She was beginning to wonder if whatever that mind flayer had done to her was as more than just forcing her to restart the game.
    Last edited by In4Dimensions; 2020-11-06 at 11:24 AM.
    Chaotic Good, probably

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

“I mean, I’m only level 3, and a straight fighter, at that. That said though, there’s a dungeon not too far from here. Been using it to hunt rabbits and farm XPs. Wanna join up?”

“Maybe tomorrow? As a 1st-level psion, I get to meaningfully contribute to a whole 3 rounds of combat per day, so I’d like to level up at least once before I take on a dungeon, even with another player. How about you show me where this dungeon is, and we meet up there tomorrow morning? I’ll just be hunting rabbits in the meantime.”

Assuming the other woman has no objection, Juli follows her to the dungeon, making sure to leave a followable path by scraping the ground.

As Juli leaves, she turns to face the other player, remembering something she had been meaning to say. “Oh, also, if you need food, I can cook rabbits with one of my powers. Just let me know.”

Juli then proceeds to hunt rabbits until the sun begins to set or until something unexpected happens. After the first 2 rabbits she kills, she’ll bring their meat back to her spawn and munch on one until full. Salt and herbs would be nice to have, but both are hard to come by on farmland. The worry in the back of her mind that something had drastically changed with the game grew a little stronger, but she forced it out for the time being. Besides, I’ll just log out when it gets dark. which will definitely work as she intends it to

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    A bunch of Energy Splash (Fire) attacks, all dealing 2 fire damage. Each time Aja expends focus, she regains it at the earliest convenient moment. If there’s more than 1 rabbit in a group and Aja wins initiative, she’ll add in a charge attack with her tail.

Energy Splashes:
    (1d20)[12]
    (1d20)[19]
    (1d20)[14]
    (1d20)[1]
    (1d20)[19]
    (1d20)[18]
    (1d20)[11]
    (1d20)[4]
    (1d20)[6]
    (1d20)[2]
    (1d20)[9]
    (1d20)[8]
    (1d20)[5]
    (1d20)[13]
    (1d20)[14]

Charges:
    (1d20+2)[5]
    (1d6)[1]

(1d20+2)[22]
    (1d6)[6]

(1d20+2)[12]
    (1d6)[4]

(1d20+2)[8]
    (1d6)[6]

(1d20+2)[3]
    (1d6)[4]

(1d20+2)[10]
    (1d6)[4]

(1d20+2)[17]
    (1d6)[1]

(1d20+2)[5]
    (1d6)[4]

(1d20+2)[17]
    (1d6)[1]

(1d20+2)[9]
    (1d6)[5]

(1d20+2)[21]
    (1d6)[2]

(1d20+2)[7]
    (1d6)[1]

(1d20+2)[12]
    (1d6)[2]

(1d20+2)[13]
    (1d6)[6]

(1d20+2)[13]
    (1d6)[1]

And a couple Spot rolls, just for the fun of it:
    (1d20+1)[12]
    (1d20+1)[15]
    (1d20+1)[7]

Also, if you’d prefer I wait until you update, I’ll happily delete this post.
    Last edited by In4Dimensions; 2020-11-13 at 12:42 AM.
    Chaotic Good, probably

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

She leads you off to the dungeon, not too far from where you both are now. When you arrive get there, she looks back and groans as she sees the trail you've dragged through the farmland you've been crossing.

The "dungeon" appears to be literally a hole straight down into the dirt that's been crudely dug out with a shovel... and not by someone with any skill at digging.

So, you want to rest up a bit before trying it out, eh? Alright, I can understand that. Heck, I'm still reticent about trying to go too far by myself, since I am only at level three, so I get where you're coming from. C'mon, let's head to town. I have a sack full of rabbits to sell, and some dinner to buy. And a place to sleep that doesn't need any coin.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

“Rest, yes, but I’d like to hunt. Again, three rounds of good combat per day and all that. Next level, it should be like 8 or 10, depending on how many power points I end up getting. Also, I’ve got a +25% EXP buff at the moment that I’m not sure if I can refresh, so I’d like to put it to good use. Juli pauses for a moment, then continues.

“How about we meet in the town at sunset? Seems like you’ve been there before— is there a good place we could meet, maybe the place to sleep that you mentioned?”
    Last edited by In4Dimensions; 2020-11-20 at 12:19 PM.
    Chaotic Good, probably

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

There's a little tavern, the 'Lethal Strawberry.' I'll be there.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

“Cool.”

Now Juli will go hunting for rabbits. She begins combat with an Energy Splash, and if possible, follows up with a charge using her tail. At any sign of an enemy that appears more dangerous than a rabbit, she’ll run, manifesting Entangling Ectoplasm if the thing is faster than her.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Do you want to use the rolls in my previous post, or should I roll more?

Entangling Ectoplasm if needed: (1d20)[8] v touch.
    Chaotic Good, probably

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Rabbit Groups
    Show
    (1d6+1)[4]
    (1d6+1)[7]
    (1d6+1)[5]
    (1d6+1)[4]
    (1d6+1)[7]
    (1d6+1)[5]

You kill one rabbit from the first group, causing the remaining three to scatter.

You hear rustling in the nearby undergrowth and then the horrific screaming of what reveals itself to be an angry rabbit significantly larger than the others you've encountered. Also unlike the other rabbits, this one sports a prominent bony knob covering its forehead like a helmet.

It rears up and looks across the fields before its gaze narrows on you.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2020-11-23 at 01:59 PM.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

You burn your last power point to manifest entangling ectoplasm but miss completely in your panic to get away. You feel your psionic focus slip away, leaving you unable to use your 0-level powers.

The large rabbit charges, leaping as it closes with its head lowered in an attempt to headbutt you!
    (1d20+6)[15] - (1d4)[4]
    Show

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

“Sh*t Sh*t Sh*t Sh*t Sh*t!”
    Juli wanted to kick herself; she’d forgotten that she couldn’t manifest Energy Splash when she had no power points, and now there was a large, dangerous not-rabbit chasing her. She was, however, very thankful that she’d taken Psionic Body— she’d be bleeding out already if she hadn’t. The thing looked to be faster than her, and she could probably survive at least one more hit, so she turned to face it head-on. “Alright, buddy, playtime’s over” she snarls as she attempts to charge the... thing. “Also, game, any time you’d like to let Resilience kick in would be nice, whatever it is.” she thinks as she rushes at the creature with her tail.

Show
    Not sure if I have the space to make a charge attack.
    (1d20)[14]+2 if I can charge
    (1d6)[1]

Crit confirm if needed: (1d20)[4]
    Crit damage if needed: (1d6)[1]

Does Juli know that the creature rolled a d4 for its damage, or does she just know that she took 4 damage?
    Last edited by In4Dimensions; 2020-11-23 at 02:13 PM.
    Chaotic Good, probably

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: DM
    Show
    The 1d20+6 attack and 1d4 for damage both appear in the combat log which scrolls by in a small window in the bottom left corner of your vision. You are free to close it if you wish; however, modifying your interface requires a full-round action, at minimum, which provokes attacks of opportunity. You are inherently aware of the risks of modifying your HUD in battle.

You also note that the rabbit-like thing is marked as (Enemy 1) on the combat log and intuit that this is a placeholder name for opponents that haven't been identified.
    You slap the "rabbit" with your tail for a measly 1 point of damage, and it screams even louder as it starts to froth at the mouth, desperate to kill you with its headbutt.
    (1d20+4)[22] - (1d4)[4]
    Show

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, this is just *great*. It gets max damage twice, and I get a 1? Hilarious, game, hilarious. Juli flinched as the thing headbutted her again, and again she found herself questioning the game’s pain settings. Well, looks like I’m going to get to try out the death mechanic. Still, may as well try for a crit or something. As she attempts to whack the creature again, she has a small idea. “Game, activate Resilience!” she says out loud, trying to get anything to happen.

Show
    (1d20)[16]
    (1d6)[4]

Crit:
    (1d20)[14]
    (1d6)[3]
    Chaotic Good, probably

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Surprisingly, you manage to hit it with your tail again just at it bunches up to leap. You snap its spine, and its screams fade as it dies.

Encounter Notice
    Enemies Defeated:
    Enemies Dispersed:

Experience Gained:

Show

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

“Alright... they have... 5 hp” Juli says in between gasps. She’d fully expected to be sent back to spawn, so having that not happen was nice. I should probably just cut my losses and get out of here. I wonder if there’s a place for me to heal? Juli ponders for a moment. Well, if it would be anywhere, it would be spawn. Let’s go check it out; maybe that magic water heals too.

She picks up the corpses of the creature and the rabbit and brings them with her to her spawn, attempting to Identify the creature as she does so. With enough luck, she might be able to make some crude clothes out of their skins, though the thought of it was slightly revolting. She also checks the duration of her Sacred Water buff to see how much time has gone by.
    Chaotic Good, probably

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

The rabbit-like creature is size Small, and you note that carrying both it and the actual rabbit put your encumbrance to Medium, slowing down your movement.

By the time you make it back to spawn, you've spent about an hour since first drinking the water.

Edit: What are you using to attempt to "Identify" things?
    Last edited by Rizban; 2020-11-23 at 06:33 PM.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    The rabbit-like creature is size Small, and you note that carrying both it and the actual rabbit put your encumbrance to Medium, slowing down your movement.

By the time you make it back to spawn, you've spent about an hour since first drinking the water.

Edit: What are you using to attempt to "Identify" things?
    Damn, these are heavy! Juli thinks as she staggers back to her spawn. Carefully lowering herself and her kills into her little underground tunnel, she brings the two corpses to the room with the puddle and sets them in a relatively clean corner. I’d like to avoid drinking more of the water than I need to— maybe my hearthstone will heal me? Juli proceeds to touch the hearthstone, waiting for a couple minutes to see if anything happens. No point in wasting a nice buff.

Spoiler: Inspect
    Show
    Sorry, I forgot to describe what I meant. I’d like to make a check (Know: Nature, probably) to remember or learn the name of whatever the bigger creature was, and any other relevant info.
    (1d20+1)[13], spending 1 inspiration point on Cunning Knowledge.
    Also: Inspiration (the ability) states that I gain a certain number of inspiration points at the beginning of each encounter. It does not say that I lose them at the end of the encounter. Does this mean that I can stack inspiration points throughout the day?
    Last edited by In4Dimensions; 2020-11-23 at 06:51 PM.
    Chaotic Good, probably

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Untrained Knowledge skills cap at DC 10. Identifying a creature has a DC of 10 + HD. Also, where are you getting that +1 bonus? You don't have it trained and only an 11 in Int.
    You don't seem to know anything about the rabbit-like creature, though it does seem familiar from your time playing the game. You're pretty sure it's classified as an Animal, but you don't seem to know anything more about it.

After about a minute, you heal 1 hit point. You check the countdown timer to be certain and verify that you indeed heal 1 hit point every 60 seconds while in the room.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Sorry, it’s been a long day. The +1 is from Cunning Knowledge; I had originally put that I was using that ability in my message but deleted it while looking it over and forgot to add it back in.
    Any verdict on stacking inspiration points?

“Oh, neat. I could get used to this. Juli had played in VR before, of course, but the sight of her flesh repairing itself before her eyes always fascinated her. Technology had come a long way since she was born.

When she was 7, she had fallen while ice skating and cut a gash in her hand. It had been extraordinarily painful, and she still had a faint scar there today. Despite it only being a game, she still marveled at how the bumps and bruises on her avatar mended before her very eyes. She’d heard that doctors and scientists weren’t too far off from similar things in the real world as well, and she wondered if they’d be able to treat injuries like the one she had as a kid.

After waiting for 7 more minutes, Juli goes back to hunt, grabbing one of the fist-sized stones near her spawn. After finding one that has a good bit of weight to it and that she can throw well, she carries on, before stopping abruptly to think. Huh. That creature wasn’t too bad, actually. It would take an average of 4 hits for it to kill me, and a minimum of 3. If I hit it twice for average damage, I kill it, or if I roll a 5 or a 6, I also kill it. With this thought in mind, Juli resolves to fight the creatures that she comes across, though she’ll run if there’s two (or more) of them. If she takes damage, she’ll go back to her spawn to heal up. Also, I should give those things a name. I’ll go with... Not-Rabbit.
    Show
    When Juli finds a group of rabbits, she’s going to initially charge them. If she wins initiative, she’ll try to tail slap one and throw a stone at another. Not sure what the attack and damage should be, so I’m going to assume a stone throw has no bonuses or penalties and deals 1d3. Let me know if I should adjust those.
    If/when one of the not-rabbits shows up, she’ll charge when possible and use tail/rock when not possible.

Charge attacks:
    (1d20+2)[17]
    (1d6)[1]

(1d20+2)[12]
    (1d6)[6]

(1d20+2)[13]
    (1d6)[5]

(1d20+2)[10]
    (1d6)[4]

(1d20+2)[18]
    (1d6)[4]

(1d20+2)[21]
    (1d6)[4]

(1d20+2)[20]
    (1d6)[4]

(1d20+2)[21]
    (1d6)[3]

(1d20+2)[7]
    (1d6)[1]

(1d20+2)[11]
    (1d6)[3]

(1d20+2)[17]
    (1d6)[2]

(1d20+2)[19]
    (1d6)[1]

(1d20+2)[12]
    (1d6)[5]

(1d20+2)[4]
    (1d6)[1]

(1d20+2)[20]
    (1d6)[4]

Stone attacks:
    (1d20)[4]
    (1d3)[2]

(1d20)[13]
    (1d3)[2]

(1d20)[10]
    (1d3)[1]

(1d20)[8]
    (1d3)[3]

(1d20)[16]
    (1d3)[1]

(1d20)[10]
    (1d3)[3]

(1d20)[13]
    (1d3)[2]

(1d20)[6]
    (1d3)[2]

Secondary tail attacks:
    (1d20-5)[12]
    (1d6)[4]

(1d20-5)[7]
    (1d6)[2]

(1d20-5)[-4]
    (1d6)[2]

(1d20-5)[5]
    (1d6)[6]

(1d20-5)[4]
    (1d6)[6]

(1d20-5)[6]
    (1d6)[3]

(1d20-5)[15]
    (1d6)[3]

(1d20-5)[-4]
    (1d6)[1]
    Chaotic Good, probably

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Crit confirm for that one tail attack, in case it ends up hitting a not-rabbit.
    (1d20-5)[4]
    (1d3)[1]
    Last edited by In4Dimensions; 2020-11-23 at 10:16 PM.
    Chaotic Good, probably

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    For bonus types that can stack, you may stack them. Remember that Cunning Knowledge can only be used 1/day on any given skill, and it also does not count you as trained in that skill.

Because of your very limited weapon proficiency, the rock has a -4 non-proficiency penalty to attack rolls.

Spoiler: Rabbit Groups
    Show
    (1d6+1)[2]
    (1d6+1)[2]
    (1d6+1)[5]
    (1d6+1)[6]
    (1d6+1)[6]
    (1d6+1)[6]
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

You charge the first pair of rabbits, killing one but failing to get a hit on the second as it flees.

You charge the second group, failing to harm either rabbit before they can escape.

The third group, you manage to hit on the charge, win initiative and kill a second, then kill a third when it provokes an attack as it flees. The remaining two escape.

As the last two escape, you hear a familiar horrific screaming as another massive rabbit-like creature bursts from the nearby tall grass to headbutt you.

(1d20+6)[19] - (1d4)[1]
    Show

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

“Hey there, buddy” Juli says as she prepares to smack the not-rabbit as hard as she can with Aja’s tail.
    Show
    I did say that I would use tail/rock, so I’ll do that for my first round (assuming I can’t charge due to it being right next to me). Maybe it’ll even work!
    Rock: (1d20-4)[12]
    (1d3)[2]

Tail: (1d20-5)[7]
    (1d6)[5]

Crit confirms:
    Rock: (1d20-4)[11]
    (1d3)[3]

Tail: (1d20-5)[3]
    (1d6)[5]

Also, I think I wasn’t being clear enough with what I was asking about Inspiration. I gain one point at the start of each encounter. When, if ever, do I lose that point? Do I keep it until the end of the encounter, until the beginning of the next, for the rest of the day, or just until I spend it?
    Last edited by In4Dimensions; 2020-11-23 at 11:24 PM.
    Chaotic Good, probably