New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Optimisation for a chonky paladin

Ok paladin time. I presented the oath of the unconquered to my DM and it got approved. Here is a link: https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HkuuSHd54

I think this will be a full paladin without multiclassing.
    The ability score array is 18, 16, 16, 12, 12, 8 and we begin at 7th level so aura already online and I get one ASI to use.

With half elf I could get a 20 and two 18 and take PAM next level. Or maybe I could take HAM and go full on juggernaut with 20 cha and 18 Str. But maybe another race might be better or use for the ASI exists.

I do not know what spells to take.

Any advice?

Edit: I forgot I also got a cloak of protection and 200 gp so just right for splint armor. With this and defense style and a shield I get to that sweet sweet 21 AC
    Last edited by Trandir; 2020-10-15 at 04:51 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Optimisation for a chonky paladin

Spells prepared depends on the day.

Heroism takes concentration but gives +5 THP per round. That is pretty nice with your 7th level aura.
    Aid gives bonus max hp to 3 people.
    I like having Cure Wounds, Lesser Restoration, and Revivify around.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2020-10-15 at 12:53 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'll admit I'm a sucker for tankiness, so my vote goes for the HAM version. Your subclass is already so tanky! Stacking HAM with your aura seems bananas and I'd be tempted to do that. But it also depends on what the rest of the party looks like. If you're fighting alongside some barbarians or melee fighters, your subclass will make you & them plenty tanky. If you're pretty much the only solid frontliner amongst a party of casters and snipers, then heck yeah lean into the barricade lyfe.

As far as spell advice, I'll point you to EvilAnagram's paladin guide, scroll down to the Colbert picture for a great spell rundown. Keep in mind that you prepare spells like a cleric each morning, so you can change it up per the situation at hand. Probably will want Revivify every morning when you hit level 9, but Locate Object or Zone of Truth can be prepared only on days that you think you might need them.

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...aladin-s-Guide

4. - Top - End - #4

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by OldTrees1 View Post
    Spells prepared depends on the day.

Heroism takes concentration but gives +5 THP per round. That is pretty nice with your 7th level aura.
    Aid gives bonus max hp to 3 people.
    I like having Cure Wounds, Lesser Restoration, and Revivify around.
    And noted. Any advice about the ability scores, race and the ASI then?

Quote Originally Posted by micahaphone View Post
    I'll admit I'm a sucker for tankiness, so my vote goes for the HAM version. Your subclass is already so tanky! Stacking HAM with your aura seems bananas and I'd be tempted to do that. But it also depends on what the rest of the party looks like. If you're fighting alongside some barbarians or melee fighters, your subclass will make you & them plenty tanky. If you're pretty much the only solid frontliner amongst a party of casters and snipers, then heck yeah lean into the barricade lyfe.

The party iirc looks like this:
    a bard
    a wild sorcerer
    a monk
    a ranger
    a warlock (not hexblade)
    a fighter
    and me

I am not sure how many of them fight in melee tho.

Does the party composition change anything?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Trandir View Post
    And noted. Any advice about the ability scores, race and the ASI then?
    Well, Cha is really important for you. So start with a 14+. I suggest the 18.
    Half Elf gives you Darkvision, +2 skills, and +4 ASI. So it is a really decent choice unless you have another race in mind.
    For the ASI, I would either bump Cha towards 20. If it is already at 20, consider Inspiring Leader. Eventually bump Str/Dex for melee attack.

Feats of note: Resilient Con, Inspiring Leader, HAM, Shield Master, or PAM.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2020-10-15 at 07:21 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Well, with a seven member party you could do almost anything! Inspiring Leader would be a great pick, you'll have to choose one party member to not get temp hp. Or ask your DM for a tiny buff. I'd prioritize charisma followed by strength followed by con.

7. - Top - End - #7

DruidGuy

Well, Cha is really important for you. So start with a 14+. I suggest the 18.
    Half Elf gives you Darkvision, +2 skills, and +4 ASI. So it is a really decent choice unless you have another race in mind.
    For the ASI, I would either bump Cha towards 20. If it is already at 20, consider Inspiring Leader. Eventually bump Str/Dex for melee attack.

Feats of note: Resilient Con, Inspiring Leader, HAM, Shield Master, or PAM.
    Fair. Well then I will begin as half elf with this array Str: 18, Dex: 12, Con: 18, Int: 8, Wis: 12, Cha: 20 and no feats. There is no way I will stare at two 17 for the whole 7th level.

Well, with a seven member party you could do almost anything! Inspiring Leader would be a great pick, you'll have to choose one party member to not get temp hp. Or ask your DM for a tiny buff. I'd prioritize charisma followed by strength followed by con.
    I know. And I choose to be The Rock

Well that would be a problem only if everyone will come to every session (I will join mid campaign with the fighter) thing that apparently isn't common.

I do not know however if when the time will come at 8th level if I'll have the strength to not take PAM

8. - Top - End - #8

Fair. Well then I will begin as half elf with this array Str: 18, Dex: 12, Con: 18, Int: 8, Wis: 12, Cha: 20 and no feats. There is no way I will stare at two 17 for the whole 7th level.

I know. And I choose to be The Rock

Well that would be a problem only if everyone will come to every session (I will join mid campaign with the fighter) thing that apparently isn't common.

I do not know however if when the time will come at 8th level if I'll have the strength to not take PAM
    If PAM looks fun to you, go for it! If you wanna be the unstoppable wall that enemies can't ignore and bypass, consider picking up Sentinel too, it combos strongly with PAM

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

They can inspire everyone. It is not limited to 6 people. It just takes a 2nd speech. The short rest limitation is on the listener, not the speaker. In 20m they can inspire the 7 PCs, 3 animal companions, and 2 random NPCs.

Well, let me highlight the magnitude of the synergy.

Inspiring Leader is Level+Cha THP (starts at 13) per short rest per person. It does not matter if they join a session midway, if they had a rest since you last inspired them, you can inspire them again.

Your aura reduces all damage by your Cha mod.

Let's say a pack of wild longswords overruns the party. At 1d8+5 (ave 9.5) you have negated the first 3 hits on each of your allies.

Damage reduction and temp HP work so nicely together.

10. - Top - End - #10

DruidGuy

They can inspire everyone. It is not limited to 6 people. It just takes a 2nd speech. The short rest limitation is on the listener, not the speaker. In 20m they can inspire the 7 PCs, 3 animal companions, and 2 random NPCs.

Well, let me highlight the magnitude of the synergy.

Inspiring Leader is Level+Cha THP (starts at 13) per short rest per person. It does not matter if they join a session midway, if they had a rest since you last inspired them, you can inspire them again.

Your aura reduces all damage by your Cha mod.

Let's say a pack of wild longswords overruns the party. At 1d8+5 (ave 9.5) you have negated the first 3 hits on each of your allies.

Damage reduction and temp HP work so nicely together.
    That is fair. I still don't know if I'll be able to stop myself from picking PAM or HAM when the time will come tho

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

That is fair. I still don't know if I'll be able to stop myself from picking PAM or HAM when the time will come tho
    That is fair because we all want you to choose what will be fun / valuable to you. Especially since HAM also has increased synergy with your Aura!

The more I look at this Oath, the more I think I personally would choose Inspiring Leader & HAM.
    Last edited by OldTrees1; 2020-10-16 at 04:45 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

MindFlayer

Honestly I would go HAM for a 18 str at lv7 and then spam the hell out of warding bond. If you have another frontliner like a fighter that does lots of damage with little defense then this would work great. Say you are fighting with your ally in the front lines and he is hit for 20 bludgeoning damage. He then takes only 15 from your aura then with warding bond only 7 to each of you which then is knocked down to 2 from your aura on you and then it goes to 0. Some DM's say you cannot HAM warding bond so ask your dm though.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator

I've never heard of this Oath but it sounds good! I'd 100% want HAM.

I'd go Fallen Aasimar with 17 Str, 12 Dex, 16 Con, 8 Int, 12 Wis, 20 Cha
    Level 4 take HAM to bump your Str to 18
    Level 8 take PAM if you want to do more damage or Inspiring Leader if you'd rather focus on buffing your allies. Either choice is strong.
    Level 12 just take whichever you didn't choose at level 8.

Another potentially fun race would be Goliath with Stone's Endurance negating even more damage on you once per short rest.

14. - Top - End - #14

PaladinGuy

Ok paladin time. I presented the oath of the unconquered to my DM and it got approved. Here is a link: https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HkuuSHd54

I think this will be a full paladin without multiclassing.
    The ability score array is 18, 16, 16, 12, 12, 8 and we begin at 7th level so aura already online and I get one ASI to use.

With half elf I could get a 20 and two 18 and take PAM next level. Or maybe I could take HAM and go full on juggernaut with 20 cha and 18 Str. But maybe another race might be better or use for the ASI exists.

I do not know what spells to take.

Any advice?

Edit: I forgot I also got a cloak of protection and 200 gp so just right for splint armor. With this and defense style and a shield I get to that sweet sweet 21 AC
    I think the subclass is weak. The 20th level abiity, should just let you ignore 1st 15 damage you take..not ignore 15 or less. At level 20, everything will do over 15 dmg to you.

Your stats....Make your Int 8, Dec 12, and Cha 16. You are a paladin and your abilities/spells work on Cha. Plus as a stalwart defender, you may not to rally people /troops to battle

Living fortress is weak. It should include hostile teleportation spells. Nothing moves you without your permission, or from a more powerful source

Can you get cloak of displacement or invisibility vs cloak of protection? Why not plate armor at lvl 7?

pam and sentinal are a must at some point. Vhuman?
    Last edited by furby076; 2020-10-26 at 12:15 AM.
    Rule 0: The most IMPORTANT rule of D&D. There is no more important rule than this rule. This is a game, and as such, you do everything you can to ensure everyone has fun. /TheEnd