New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Help choosing Domains and Deity

Hello all,
    I'm creating a new character and would like some help choosing my deity and domains. Here's my chara concept:
    Cleric 1 Warmage 2 Mystic Theurge 10. Race is to be Illumian with Krau-hoon magic. I want to be the ranged blaster and secondary healer.
    Thanks

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Help choosing Domains and Deity

That's a clever entry for mt. What are your plans after you finish mystic theurge? That may help narrow down deity choice a little bit. I don't think there's a way to progress both classes after that. I assume you'll want to progress cleric since it's a much better list. If you want to healbot, radiant servant of pelor helps in that regard, so you might worship him.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    That's a clever entry for mt. What are your plans after you finish mystic theurge? That may help narrow down deity choice a little bit. I don't think there's a way to progress both classes after that. I assume you'll want to progress cleric since it's a much better list. If you want to healbot, radiant servant of pelor helps in that regard, so you might worship him.
    Taking a level of Ardent with Practiced Manifester would make them eligible to go into Psychic Theurge for the rest of their levels, if they're into just having a bunch of abilities and spell-slots

Edit: If we can cheese the entry results, Fochulan Lyricist would let them dual-progress further.

Requirements
    Alignment: Neutral good, neutral, chaotic neutral, or neutral evil.

Skills: Decipher Script 7 ranks , Diplomacy 7 ranks , Gather Information 7 ranks , Knowledge (nature) 7 ranks , Perform (string instruments) 13 ranks , Sleight of Hand 7 ranks , Speak Language (druidic) 1 ranks

Spells: Ability to cast 1st-level arcane and divine spells.
    Special: Bardic knowledge and evasion abilities.
    I don't think there's any limitation on the Druidic language apart from no Druid will willingly teach it to you, so if you dominate or otherwise force a Druid to teach you, you should be able to retrain/level up/psychic reformation the ranks into the language to learn it.

Evasion can be gotten from an item, so that's just a WBL check; sell it after the fact.

Bardic Knowledge is tougher. I don't actually know of a way to get it without taking a level in bard or some bard prc. If you're not sold on being 100% raw, you could maybe use Cloistered Cleric to qualify.

Otherwise, Cleric 1 / Warmage 2 / Mystic Theurge 10 / Bard 1 / Fochulan Lyricist 6 could be worse.
    Last edited by Doctor Despair; 2020-10-15 at 09:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Despair View Post
    Taking a level of Ardent with Practiced Manifester would make them eligible to go into Psychic Theurge for the rest of their levels, if they're into just having a bunch of abilities and spell-slots
    That's certainly an option if keeping track of 3 subsystems isn't too much bookkeeping.

Edit: If we can cheese the entry results, Fochulan Lyricist would let them dual-progress further.

I don't think there's any limitation on the Druidic language apart from no Druid will willingly teach it to you, so if you dominate or otherwise force a Druid to teach you, you should be able to retrain/level up/psychic reformation the ranks into the language to learn it.

Evasion can be gotten from an item, so that's just a WBL check; sell it after the fact.

Bardic Knowledge is tougher. I don't actually know of a way to get it without taking a level in bard or some bard prc. If you're not sold on being 100% raw, you could maybe use Cloistered Cleric to qualify.
    Fochlucan lyrist skill reqs are a real pain. Bardic knowledge is easily obtained via cloistered cleric, which he should be taking anyway since he's focused on casting.

Druidic cannot be bought as a language by non-druids without being taught it somehow. That's a lot of effort, just ask a blighter to do it since they all speak it.

If your gm doesn't allow ring of evasion, dipping divine oracle will also confer evasion.

I can see worrying about someone deducting points in iron chef over it, but "lore is identical to bardic knowledge" seems perfectly ironclad for actual play. Cloistered cleric should be fine.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

OK - To answer some of your questions:
    I hadn't though of planning past 13th level. Our campaigns usually end around 14-15th levels. So planning past there is moot. However for argument sake, lets assume I'll take warmage at levels 14 and every even level and cleric at 15 and every odd level after MT is done. It may not be the most optimized but in the long run I dont think it will matter.
    Secondly, my main role in the party will be ranged blaster, and probably the party negotiator because of my high CHA. I will not be the healbot, or front line fighter. I will also look for feats to use my turn attempts for since a 1st level cleric wont have much turning power.

I hope this will clear up any questions.
    Thanks again for your advice on choosing domains.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

It's hard to suggest domains without a whisper of alignment. Or, how's your dm about the "cleric of ideal" clause? Can you play with NO deity?

It's nice to have something to spend TU on, or a domain power you'll use all day, every day.

Travel Devotion is cool. You'll use that every day.

Planning Domain grants Extend Spell, which you'll use with regularity. DMM and use it constantly.

Pleasure Domain grants immunity to Cha damage and drain. That's real nice on a Cha build.

Time Domain grants improved initiative. You'd benefit from that ever encounter.

If you combine Herald and Mind you get:
    +2 (untyped) bonus on Bluff, Diplomacy, and Sense Motive checks.
    .. and ...
    +4 sacred bonus on Diplomacy and Intimidate checks.
    Combine with 16 Cha +3, eagle's splendor +3, and ranks +3 for = level +15 diplomacy at 1st level.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Thanks for the ideas.

As far as the alignment, I'm still wide open. Although no evil. And I typically play chaotic greedy characters. I like stuff:) I'm not sure on the "cleric of ideal", I'd have to talk with my DM. Its never come up before.

The idea of using DMM is intriguing. Perhaps a domain that gives metamagic. the planning looks really good now. I wasn't sure what my feats were going to look like, but perhaps ill also take extra turns.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

RogueGuy

I would recommend something like legacy champion for the last levels of the build. The entry costs 1 feat and it progresses another class 7 of it's 10 levels. You can use it to extend the double casting progression of a thurge class an additional 5 levels over 7 character levels.

As for domains -

The magic domain is really useful. The ability to use wizard spells through magic items without a UMD check is useful. You are a non-wizard thurge so you don't get the ability to do so automatically.

Knowledge domain adds useful domain spells and plays nicely with the spontaneous domain caster ACF for cleric that grants you domain spells in place of cure spells for spontaneous casting. Having a bunch of divinations you can cast at need without prep is really really useful.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

RAW, a krau Illumian Cleric 1/Warmage 2 does not have access to divine 2nds; +2 caster level doesn't mean you get spells like a Cleric 3, it means you cast them like a Cleric 3. A good summary of this is here: https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questi...r-level-affect ; I don't have a strict rules source handy, but this is the common consensus nonetheless.

That said, I could see a permissive DM allowing this to work anyway, but I would run it by them first, if you haven't already.
    Excel sheet for 3.5 -- Native support for stacking rules and multiple forms; as lightweight as possible otherwise. (links currently broken, if you want a copy LMK)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thac0 Redeye View Post
    The idea of using DMM is intriguing. Perhaps a domain that gives metamagic. the planning looks really good now. I wasn't sure what my feats were going to look like, but perhaps ill also take extra turns.
    I think planning is the only one that does that. It's the usual choice to pay the tax for dmm persist.

Quote Originally Posted by rrwoods View Post
    RAW, a krau Illumian Cleric 1/Warmage 2 does not have access to divine 2nds; +2 caster level doesn't mean you get spells like a Cleric 3, it means you cast them like a Cleric 3. A good summary of this is here: https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questi...r-level-affect ; I don't have a strict rules source handy, but this is the common consensus nonetheless.

That said, I could see a permissive DM allowing this to work anyway, but I would run it by them first, if you haven't already.
    I assume he is using cleric's spontaneous inflict/cure or spontaneous domain alongside versatile spellcaster to make a 2 since he knows his domains even if the gm isn't allowing this.

Iron Chef Medals!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bean illus View Post

Planning Domain grants Extend Spell, which you'll use with regularity. DMM and use it [i]constantly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thac0 Redeye View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    I think planning is the only one that does that. It's the usual choice to pay the tax for dmm persist.
    UNDEATH DOMAIN
    Granted Powers: You gain Extra Turning as a bonus feat.

Human, Ocular Spell +2
    1. Planning (extend +1), Undeath (xtra TU), DMM - Ocular Spell +2
    3. Split Ray +2

6. DMM - Split Ray +1

TU Attempts
    Cha +4, cleric +3, xtra TU +4, eagle's splendor +2 = 13

You'll have trouble adding turn attempts without more cleric levels, so you might skip permanency and/or quicken.