Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 55 of 55
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    hamishspence's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007

    Default Re: Star Trek Discovery - Season 3 [Spoilers]

    Quote Originally Posted by Trafalgar View Post
    Spoiler: ST:TNG
    Show
    But why didn't Jean Luc take advantage of it?
    Apparently Roddenberry had something to say on this general topic:

    Spoiler
    Show
    Reporter: "Surely they would have cured baldness by the 24th century."
    Roddenberry: "In the 24th century, they wouldn't care."
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2020-10-31 at 01:57 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

  2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2020

    Default Re: Star Trek Discovery - Season 3 [Spoilers]

    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Apparently Roddenberry had something to say on this general topic:

    Spoiler
    Show
    Reporter: "Surely they would have cured baldness by the 24th century."
    Roddenberry: "In the 24th century, they wouldn't care."
    In my opinion, he was dead on the money.

  3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Talakeal's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    A place near Boulder.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Star Trek Discovery - Season 3 [Spoilers]

    Quote Originally Posted by Trafalgar View Post
    Spoiler: ST:TNG
    Show
    But why didn't Jean Luc take advantage of it?
    Apparently that was actually a bit of contention behind the scenes.

    Roddenberry insisted that though baldness could be cured in the 24th century, humanity would have evolved beyond such petty concerns.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

  4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ElfRangerGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Imagination Land
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Star Trek Discovery - Season 3 [Spoilers]

    It was good to see the crew of Discovery continuing to spread their Federation values in episode 3. Captain Saru is great.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

    Watch me draw and swear at video games.

  5. - Top - End - #35
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    Psyren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Star Trek Discovery - Season 3 [Spoilers]

    Spoiler: Episode 4
    Show
    Lots of revelations about the Trill and their symbiotes.

    Is Discovery's computer becoming a full-blown AI?

    First trans-trans kiss in Star Trek history?

    Most awkward dinner party ever. WTF is going on with Detmer.

    Georgiou starting a haiku-off, then grabbing the wine bottle when everything went downhill was a big mood.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Quote Originally Posted by gogogome View Post
    Cheers to Psyren the MVP "naysayer".
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

  6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground
     
    JadedDM's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Star Trek Discovery - Season 3 [Spoilers]

    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Spoiler: Episode 4
    Show
    Lots of revelations about the Trill and their symbiotes.

    Is Discovery's computer becoming a full-blown AI?

    First trans-trans kiss in Star Trek history?

    Most awkward dinner party ever. WTF is going on with Detmer.

    Georgiou starting a haiku-off, then grabbing the wine bottle when everything went downhill was a big mood.
    Spoiler: S3E4 - Forget Me Not
    Show
    I think the thing with Discovery's computer and the sphere data was referencing Zora in Calypso.

    Technically speaking, Adira is non-binary.

    I think Detmer is just suffering from PTSD (or some form of it).

    Georgiou, as always, steals every scene she is in. She seems to be warming up to Linus, too.

  7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2020

    Default Re: Star Trek Discovery - Season 3 [Spoilers]

    I really like it. I especially loved the dinner scene. Star Trek needs more character focused scenes like that.

  8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    GrayDeath's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    In the Heart of Europe
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Star Trek Discovery - Season 3 [Spoilers]

    Ive got to say, after the overall OK first season and the weird (with few grand Scenes) second, this seems to be what Discovery was actually meant for.

    Everything feels much more natural, much less forced, mocuh more "flowy".

    That can continue if one asks me. Especially the much less "HardCoreProtagonistBurnham!"
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”


    Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

  9. - Top - End - #39
    Spamalot in the Playground
     
    Psyren's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Star Trek Discovery - Season 3 [Spoilers]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    I really like it. I especially loved the dinner scene. Star Trek needs more character focused scenes like that.
    It felt very Mass Effect Citadel-y, at least to me (note: this is a compliment.) Of course, modern Star Trek appears to be taking other inspirations from ME as well, with both Discovery and Picard (and other space shows like The Expanse) starting to lean on the dangers of AI.

    Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    Spoiler: S3E4 - Forget Me Not
    Show
    I think the thing with Discovery's computer and the sphere data was referencing Zora in Calypso.

    Technically speaking, Adira is non-binary.

    I think Detmer is just suffering from PTSD (or some form of it).

    Georgiou, as always, steals every scene she is in. She seems to be warming up to Linus, too.
    I was using "trans" in its umbrella definition there, i.e. encompassing expressions such as non-binary.
    (Using both definitions of "expression.")

    And yes, I noticed the Georgiou/Linus spark too Whether friendship or something else remains to be seen. Certainly she needs someone besides Michael to have attachments to.

    Quote Originally Posted by GrayDeath View Post
    Ive got to say, after the overall OK first season and the weird (with few grand Scenes) second, this seems to be what Discovery was actually meant for.

    Everything feels much more natural, much less forced, mocuh more "flowy".

    That can continue if one asks me. Especially the much less "HardCoreProtagonistBurnham!"
    I'd wager that a big part of it, is that unlike the last two seasons there aren't world-ending stakes on the line. There is no big war that the Federation is losing and no space prophecy heralding the end of organic life. Here in S3, the big cataclysm already happened, so the crew can take their time to unravel the mystery of why and settle into their new lives.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Quote Originally Posted by gogogome View Post
    Cheers to Psyren the MVP "naysayer".
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

  10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2020

    Default Re: Star Trek Discovery - Season 3 [Spoilers]

    Another solid episode. Good character interaction. I think Michael was a bit more abrasive than she should have been, but the show wasn't afraid to call it out. So I suppose it's okay.

    I loved the scene where they see all of Starfleet.

  11. - Top - End - #41
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Clertar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Ockham
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Star Trek Discovery - Season 3 [Spoilers]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    I think Michael was a bit more abrasive than she should have been, but the show wasn't afraid to call it out. So I suppose it's okay.
    And in the latest episode we saw that that was indeed followed up.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

  12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2020

    Default Re: Star Trek Discovery - Season 3 [Spoilers]

    Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    And in the latest episode we saw that that was indeed followed up.
    Eeyup. And rightly so!

    Good episode again!!! 😁 That means First Officer Tilley is next

  13. - Top - End - #43
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Dijon, France

    Default Re: Star Trek Discovery - Season 3 [Spoilers]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    Eeyup. And rightly so!

    Good episode again!!! 😁 That means First Officer Tilley is next
    Sweet Zombie Jeebus NO!

  14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2020

    Default Re: Star Trek Discovery - Season 3 [Spoilers]

    To be honest. At this point I wonder if Michael still has a place as a senior on Discovery.

    Not saying she isn't welcomed. Or that she hasn't have a spot for her. But being Chief Science officer means being in charge of the Science department of the ship and managing people. Michael has proven that she has no desire to be there to fulfill her duties as an OFFICER

    At this point. She seems to prefer the idea of working as an operative for Starfleet and Discovery than being a starship officer. Which is fine, ultimately. Post-Burn Starfleet should actually have a lot more operatives advancing causes and missions. It's just that being a senior officer on a starship means responsibility and duties that you cannot just leave on a whim because a "higher priority mission" showed up on your radar.

  15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground
     
    JadedDM's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Star Trek Discovery - Season 3 [Spoilers]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    That means First Officer Tilley is next
    The episode did seem to lightly hint at that. But wouldn't that be unprecedented, what with her being an ensign and all? I've never heard of a first officer that wasn't either a commander or lieutenant commander.

  16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2020

    Default Re: Star Trek Discovery - Season 3 [Spoilers]

    Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    The episode did seem to lightly hint at that. But wouldn't that be unprecedented, what with her being an ensign and all? I've never heard of a first officer that wasn't either a commander or lieutenant commander.
    She is demonstrating clear leadership in her treatment and training of officers who are theoretically senior to her. She has the ambition, desire and capacity. She has the trust of her captain, who felt he could confide in her.

    It would be a stretch, but.. It would still be less ****ing stupid than Cadet Kirk given command of the Enterprise. Tilley has had two years of *solid* experience, and whatever Michael's faults might be, she was a good mentor to her.

  17. - Top - End - #47
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    May 2016

    Default Re: Star Trek Discovery - Season 3 [Spoilers]

    Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    But wouldn't that be unprecedented, what with her being an ensign and all?
    In reality? No, but it'd be very unusual for anything that wasn't very small - probably something like a PT boat / MTB or maybe a small submarine, where the commanding officer probably isn't ranked any higher than Lieutenant and most likely has just one or two commissioned officers under his or her command.

  18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2020

    Default Re: Star Trek Discovery - Season 3 [Spoilers]

    Jesus Christ, this was a brilliant episode. I mean, talk about pure Star Trek porn.

    A diplomatic/scientific debate with Vulcan politicians, with a strong focus on character development. I loved it.

  19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground
     
    JadedDM's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Star Trek Discovery - Season 3 [Spoilers]

    Nice reference to Anton Yelchin, too. And a couple of episodes back, they referenced Aron Eisenberg, as well.
    Last edited by JadedDM; 2020-11-27 at 08:21 PM.

  20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2020

    Default Re: Star Trek Discovery - Season 3 [Spoilers]

    Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    Nice reference to Anton Yelchin, too. And a couple of episodes back, they referenced Aron Eisenberg, as well.
    Oh, what do you mean?

  21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    UTC -6

    Default Re: Star Trek Discovery - Season 3 [Spoilers]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    Oh, what do you mean?
    The USS Yelchin was one of the ships that Michael got her black box data from. One of the ships that Discovery flew past as it entered Starfleet Headquarters was the Eisenberg-class USS Nog.

  22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2020

    Default Re: Star Trek Discovery - Season 3 [Spoilers]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    The USS Yelchin was one of the ships that Michael got her black box data from. One of the ships that Discovery flew past as it entered Starfleet Headquarters was the Eisenberg-class USS Nog.
    Awww that's so cute

  23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Feb 2020

    Default Re: Star Trek Discovery - Season 3 [Spoilers]

    So I caught a TNG episode last night, "Who Watches the Watcher"

    and I realized having the Mintaka appear as a spacefaring specie in the 31st century is an *actual* possibility. They could maybe even have a First Contact episode with them. All good Star Trek ****.

  24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground
     
    JadedDM's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Star Trek Discovery - Season 3 [Spoilers]

    I'm still holding out hope that in one of these new series, at some point, the Tholians make an appearance. They're one of my favorite Star Trek villains, and it would be interesting to see how much better they would look with today's modern CGI.

  25. - Top - End - #55
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    AssassinGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2020

    Default Re: Star Trek Discovery - Season 3 [Spoilers]

    Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    I'm still holding out hope that in one of these new series, at some point, the Tholians make an appearance. They're one of my favorite Star Trek villains, and it would be interesting to see how much better they would look with today's modern CGI.
    They looked pretty good in Star Trek Enterprise.

    Spoiler: Eps 8
    Show

    So...er....the Discovery does not fire on the evil criminal terrorist cartel because they don't want to "drag the Federation into war with them". Because evil criminal terrorist cartels care about laws and rules and semantics.....and don't just do whatever they feel like they want. Like did anyone think that Orrisa would just say "oh well I was not attacked by a Federation vessel " and not go to war with the Federation? Gosh you just can't trust evil criminal terrorist cartels at all, eh?

    So if the Brothers Book are animal empaths why can't they tell just the locust eating the crops to go away? Sure they can't effect "all" of them at once, but how about just do it a bunch of times? And the Book planet people have high tech...is there some reason they can't put a shield up around the crops? And...well...um....does the planet not have replicator technology to make food? (you know that ye old 800 tech?)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •