New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Star Trek Discovery - Season 3 [Spoilers]

So.. Just watched the first episode. I liked it a lot. The future design of the technology is great, the guns are goofy space guns, and I may have cried a bit at the end.

9/10 - Solid start

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Star Trek Discovery - Season 3 [Spoilers]

Also saw it, and also liked it. Some thoughts:

Spoiler: S3E1 - That Hope Is You, Part 1
    Show
    Book mentioned Quantum Slipstream drive, which was first mentioned in Voyager. I guess it caught on with the rest of the galaxy.

Book also mentioned that the Gorn recently destroyed a couple of lightyears of subspace. Were they messing with Omega particles? If so, that's another Voyager callback.

Book also said time travel was outlawed after the temporal wars. Assuming he meant the Temporal Cold War, that was an Enterprise reference.

Also a fun fact someone else pointed out to me: This is likely the first ever Star Trek episode where only people of color (and aliens) appear.

I saw they are going to start production on season 4 in November, so I'm curious if they'll be staying in the 32nd century from now on or not.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I have to say, Discovery deciding to take on the plot of Andromeda, but where you spent actually 2 full seasons getting familiar with the Hero Starship and her crew.

And the Federation's stand - in is.. The Federation.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    and I may have cried a bit at the end.
    I thought I was the only one. But yes, it was a very good episode. The previous seasons of Discovery didn't really feel Trek-like at times, with many episodes missing both the "true believers" and the "to boldly go where no one has gone before". This season seems to be delivering in spades. Andromeda-meets-Voyager is a great concept, far better than what they've been doing so far imho. I hope they remain lost in the future, trying to revive the Federation for however long the show lasts and not for just a single season.

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    Also a fun fact someone else pointed out to me: This is likely the first ever Star Trek episode where only people of color (and aliens) appear.
    Interesting. I hadn't noticed it, but now that you mention it, it feels... fitting. Very much Trek at its best.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

This was the most violent episode of Star Trek I can remember, mowing down dozens of mindless henchmen like Rambo isn't really typical ST fare.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, you're right. I completely forgot about it. It was odd how Burnham didn't display the slightest hesitation. And the shaky cam during the fight was extra shaky. I guess the rest of the episode outweighed it for me.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    Oh, you're right. I completely forgot about it. It was odd how Burnham didn't display the slightest hesitation. And the shaky cam during the fight was extra shaky. I guess the rest of the episode outweighed it for me.
    Which is a shame, really. I felt the start and end of the episode were the best parts, the City of Crimes was good only for the character sass, but the action scene was just a comedy moment with no real stakes.

Grudge is the greatest star of Star Trek

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

I enjoyed it as well, I'm hoping this is an upward trend from the last two seasons.

I am a bit worried though. I was looking forward to a look at the future of the Federation. I don't mind a "help to rebuild the Federation" plot, but with all the talk of the Crash, I'm guessing this will be the sort of thing where they have to fix something that went wrong in the past so that this future will never happen. I'm hoping that's not the direction they're taking.

Edit: I don't think the runners of modern Trek were going to be happy until they could completely turn the Federation into a dystopia. Here's hoping they finally get that out of their system.
    Last edited by Dire_Flumph; 2020-10-17 at 08:06 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Flumph View Post
    Edit: I don't think the runners of modern Trek were going to be happy until they could completely turn the Federation into a dystopia. Here's hoping they finally get that out of their system.
    Yeah, because it sort of sounds like they're desperate to turn it into everything else.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

They even co-opted the slipstream drive from the Andromeda series too?

Huh, I actually wish they started this series here rather than the mess of the last 2 despite Pike.

Well here's hoping they found something they can work with and not mess up.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    No, Quantum Slipstream Drive comes from Voyager, which predates the Andromeda series.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post

Huh, I actually wish they started this series here rather than the mess of the last 2 despite Pike.

Well here's hoping they found something they can work with and not mess up.
    Disagreed. I like that we know the heroes and that we have seen their feats, instead of just being told about it.

I also love the remnants of the Federation. The Lone Watchman has such fantastic echoes of Foundation and other heroic Sci fi bull****. I cried a bit guys.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Spamalot in the Playground

Woohoo, more Discovery!

Initial thoughts:

Spoiler
    Show
    I found Book pretty abrasive at first (and cheered every time Burnham kicked his butt), but I do like his space-druid abilities and he began to grow on me by the end. And I suppose it's a less toxic love interest for her than Tyler. I might make a Mystic based on Book in Starfinder.

I wonder what caused the Burn? Hopefully not more Mass Effect AI shenanigans. Well we can't have a galaxy with no Federation, so we'd better fix that.

Burnham on truth serum was comedy gold

Anyway, it won't really be Discovery for me until Saru, Tilly, and Georgiou show up.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: S3E2 - Far From Home
    Show
    Boy, they really want to hammer home that Leland is absolutely dead and not coming back, don't they?

Wow, Coridanites. Haven't seen them since Enterprise.

Also, looks like another time skip. It's now 3189.

And Reno remains a gem. My favorite exchange for the whole episode:

Jett, thanks for nothing."
    "Back at you, bobcat."
    "Bobcat?"
    "I don't know, I'm on drugs."

15. - Top - End - #15

The bobcat line had us rolling.

And Georgiou continues to be my favorite Star Trek character ever
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Well I'm definitely liking the direction of the season so far. Lot's of potential.

But
    Spoiler
    Show
    no way in hell did she grow THAT MUCH hair in only one year. Get outta here.

Oh yeah, I had assumed the Short Treks episode with Aldis Hodge would have come into play during the time skip into the future, but apparently not? What's the deal? Still to come?
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2020-10-24 at 02:57 AM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

I think this episode would have worked better if it was the first in the season, and we knew as much as the crew did about the future and what happened with Burnham. As it is, it was pretty obvious it'd be her there at the end. And yeah, when she showed up with a huge ship and long hair I figured significantly more than a year had passed.

Still, pretty good episode. I want more of Captain Saru.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    I think this episode would have worked better if it was the first in the season, and we knew as much as the crew did about the future and what happened with Burnham. As it is, it was pretty obvious it'd be her there at the end. And yeah, when she showed up with a huge ship and long hair I figured significantly more than a year had passed.

Still, pretty good episode. I want more of Captain Saru.
    I don't think having the second episode moved to be first would have made the tractor beamer any less obvious.

Moreover, I think the first episode is a bit more of a powerful message and standalone story - namely, that even with nothing but a single solid officer, Starfleet can exist - because it is an ideal rather than just an organization.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I don't think having the second episode moved to be first would have made the tractor beamer any less obvious.

Moreover, I think the first episode is a bit more of a powerful message and standalone story - namely, that even with nothing but a single solid officer, Starfleet can exist - because it is an ideal rather than just an organization.
    I have to agree that the finale of the first episode, with the Lone Watchman, was probably what hyped me up to this season than anything else.

They are *really* pushing this whole Federation Are the Paladins, almost to the point that any Starfleet officers are known to help people who ask for it.

And as long as you come from post-warp society. Otherwise, die in pain, PD says I can't to nuthin'

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post

But
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler: Hair today
    Show
    Maybe they have some future space tech that can speed up the hair growth?
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

21. - Top - End - #21
    Bugbear in the Playground

And Georgiou continues to be my favorite Star Trek character ever
    In many ways she's like a well roleplayed good aligned Drow.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

22. - Top - End - #22

RE: MB's hair - she's hanging out with (and possibly dating, by now) some kind of space druid, so her hair growing fast could just be a consequence of the environments where they end up.

Alternatively - her hair just grows fast, but we've never seen it do that before because she's constantly keeping it coiffed.

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    In many ways she's like a well roleplayed good aligned Drow.
    It's ironic because she (and the empire she came from) are very clearly Lawful Evil, yet Drow aren't. Though I would argue that perhaps they should be.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

RE: MB's hair - she's hanging out with (and possibly dating, by now) some kind of space druid, so her hair growing fast could just be a consequence of the environments where they end up.

Alternatively - her hair just grows fast, but we've never seen it do that before because she's constantly keeping it coiffed.

It's ironic because she (and the empire she came from) are very clearly Lawful Evil, yet Drow aren't. Though I would argue that perhaps they should be.
    I don't think drow *society* is chaotic. It's in fact extremely lawful. There's so many rules, and hierarchy and whatnot details you have to respect.

Drow *individuals* are chaotic as heck tho.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Show
    They did on Voyager.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

25. - Top - End - #25

What is all this talk about “the common tongue” in the last episode? When did this become D&D? What happened to the universal translator?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    What is all this talk about “the common tongue” in the last episode? When did this become D&D? What happened to the universal translator?
    Well, it used to be called 'Federation Standard,' but I guess since the Federation more or less doesn't exist anymore, they call it the common tongue now instead.

And I didn't see Saru or Tilly using their UTs (which are in their communicators), which is probably why the pidgin wasn't translated.

27. - Top - End - #27

IIRC they specifically mention the translator in both episodes, it just doesn't cover the pidgin, which narratively functions like a Thieves' Cant kind of deal.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

That was a great 3rd episode. Classic Star Trek ****

29. - Top - End - #29

The pace of this season seems much more easygoing. Yeah they want to find out what caused the Burn, but since the apocalypse is behind them now instead of in front of them, there's a lot less breakneck urgency than in the past two seasons. They have time for contemplative things, like... shore leave to Starfleet Academy for the lower-ranked bridge crew.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

30. - Top - End - #30

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post

But
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    Show
    They did on Voyager.
    Spoiler: ST:TNG
    Show
    But why didn't Jean Luc take advantage of it?