New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Godzilla vs. Kong Trailer Drop

I have watched it.

I have watched it several times at that.

I have now marked March 2021 as an important date in my life.

This is a rematch over 40 years in the making done by probably the only other unequivocally successful cinematic universe aside from the MCU.

GODZILLA!

vs.

KONG!

I am so hyped that people can't even imagine! Go and watch the trailer!
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Godzilla vs. Kong Trailer Drop

Seeing a lot of Kong favoritism here, and I am not for it.

Still gonna see it though, obviously.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

...Wasn't Godzilla the good guy in the last two movies?

And also, weren't Kong and Godzilla both significantly larger than they're being depicted here in their respective origin movies?
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    ...Wasn't Godzilla the good guy in the last two movies?

And also, weren't Kong and Godzilla both significantly larger than they're being depicted here in their respective origin movies?
    The trailer does say that Godzilla is being provoked by something they can't see.

Spoiler: Rumors and Speculation
    Show
    The rumor mill says they'll team up against a bigger threat later in the movie. And that MechaGodzilla is somehow involved. I look forward to being surprised either way.

Also, Kong has grown in size since the 70s. Although, the shot of them on the barge thing does make them look smaller than they should. I think it's a forced perspective thing because someone wanted to have the fight on the barge and kinda forced them to fit on it. Also, is it just me or the lighting, but in some shots Kong looks like he has some white in his fur.

I'm a little concerned about Kong's ax absorbing Godzilla's atomic ray, but I'm hopeful they can make it not seem as ridiculous as it does in the trailer.
    The first chapter of The Book of Svarog

“Everything has its time and everything dies.” ~ The Doctor (Doctor Who)

“The facts of nature are settled within the field of human argument.” ~ The Golem- What Everyone Should Know about Science by Harry Collins and Trevor Pinch.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Toastkart View Post
    The trailer does say that Godzilla is being provoked by something they can't see.

Show
    The rumor mill says they'll team up against a bigger threat later in the movie. And that MechaGodzilla is somehow involved. I look forward to being surprised either way.

Also, Kong has grown in size since the 70s. Although, the shot of them on the barge thing does make them look smaller than they should. I think it's a forced perspective thing because someone wanted to have the fight on the barge and kinda forced them to fit on it. Also, is it just me or the lighting, but in some shots Kong looks like he has some white in his fur.

I'm a little concerned about Kong's ax absorbing Godzilla's atomic ray, but I'm hopeful they can make it not seem as ridiculous as it does in the trailer.
    Spoiler: Rumors
    Show
    I've been hearing a lot about MechaGodzilla too and seen something rumored to be a design shown off to investors in like..Taiwan or something, so MechaGodzilla framing the Big G seems likely. If you look at all the shots of Godzilla breathing fire in the trailer, you can tell there's a difference actually. As in Godzilla the past two movies has actually breathed fire, but all the shots of atomic breath in the trailer look a bit too...confined and direction-y. In other words more like a laser than atomic breath. He's also seen with his spines charging from his head down to his tail. That, plus the hints of circuitry durin the Legendary and Warner Bros. logo...Pretty sure MechaGodzilla is involved somehow. How? Don't know exactly, but my guess is its impersonating Godzilla for some unknown purpose.

Also, if you look at Kong's axe, it looks like the axe is made from Godzilla (or another of his kind's) dorsal spines, which would be a pretty good reason for the axe to be capable of what its seen doing.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Things I hope:

1) I can see it in theaters.
    2) I get to sit next to a couple 9 year old boys. I had the great fortune to do this for King of the Monsters, and honestly the kids were as much fun as the movie.
    Blood-red were his spurs i' the golden noon; wine-red was his velvet coat,
    When they shot him down on the highway,
    Down like a dog on the highway,
    And he lay in his blood on the highway, with the bunch of lace at his throat.

Alfred Noyes, The Highwayman, 1906.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I thought that was an aircraft carrier (~1000-1200' long), not a barge. Really, their weight should sink it... but the container ship used as a club in Pacific Rim should have broken too, so we'll just go with Rule 0 on this.

8. - Top - End - #8

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Spoiler: Rumors
    Show
    I've been hearing a lot about MechaGodzilla too and seen something rumored to be a design shown off to investors in like..Taiwan or something, so MechaGodzilla framing the Big G seems likely. If you look at all the shots of Godzilla breathing fire in the trailer, you can tell there's a difference actually. As in Godzilla the past two movies has actually breathed fire, but all the shots of atomic breath in the trailer look a bit too...confined and direction-y. In other words more like a laser than atomic breath. He's also seen with his spines charging from his head down to his tail. That, plus the hints of circuitry durin the Legendary and Warner Bros. logo...Pretty sure MechaGodzilla is involved somehow. How? Don't know exactly, but my guess is its impersonating Godzilla for some unknown purpose.

Also, if you look at Kong's axe, it looks like the axe is made from Godzilla (or another of his kind's) dorsal spines, which would be a pretty good reason for the axe to be capable of what its seen doing.
    Spoiler: Rumors and realizations
    Show
    Having rewatched it at least 8 or 9 times, and pausing at appropriate moments, I do believe you are right about the ax. Just watching, it looked like a ragged chunk of metal, but it does seem to have a plate-like shape.

As for Godzilla's atomic breath, I'm a little less sure. It was very gaseous like in Godzilla 2014, but it looked a lot more beam like in King of the Monsters. It looks very similar to the King of the Monsters version to me.

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    I thought that was an aircraft carrier (~1000-1200' long), not a barge. Really, their weight should sink it... but the container ship used as a club in Pacific Rim should have broken too, so we'll just go with Rule 0 on this.
    That's my bad. I was so focused on monster fight I didn't realize it wasn't the same barge Kong was chained to just before. The plane that Godzilla nearly crushes with his hand as he climbs aboard should have tipped me off.
    The first chapter of The Book of Svarog

“Everything has its time and everything dies.” ~ The Doctor (Doctor Who)

“The facts of nature are settled within the field of human argument.” ~ The Golem- What Everyone Should Know about Science by Harry Collins and Trevor Pinch.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I already know who will win in this movie:

Spoiler: The Winner
    Show
    Kong wins!
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

This has to be a classic trope...2 anti-heroes (1) meet, (2) fight to establish pecking order, (3-9) continue to fight to establish pecking order, maybe with Kevin Hart popping in to be a funny third wheel alternative while some other useless "plot development" is occurring, (10) the true villain is revealed, (11) 2 anti-heroes provide a satisfying beatdown, (12) then fight with each other to get the last shot in the movie.

But that's just a guess.

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mordar View Post
    This has to be a classic trope...2 anti-heroes (1) meet, (2) fight to establish a pecking order, (3-9) continue to fight to establish a pecking order, maybe with Kevin Hart popping in to be a funny third wheel alternative while some other useless "plot development" is occurring, (10) the true villain is revealed, (11) 2 anti-heroes provide a satisfying beatdown, (12) then fight with each other to get the last shot in the movie.

But that's just a guess.

- M
    It's a reboot of the classic movie.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    It's a reboot of the classic movie.
    Yes, but they’re going to make some significant changes this time around. Original movie didn’t have Kong with an axe and he did have lightning powers which I don’t think are returning.

So I’d expect to see some other changes as well.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
    Yes, but they’re going to make some significant changes this time around. Original movie didn’t have Kong with an axe and he did have lightning powers which I don’t think are returning.

So I’d expect to see some other changes as well.
    Well of course there will be changes compared to the original movie and who knows maybe Godzilla might win this time.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

I've never been hugely invested in the Kong or Godzilla movies - they're one of those movies I'll watch it they just happen to be on late at night and I have nothing better to do.

I'm down for this trailer, though. It looks like exactly the right kind of Big And Dumb that I will unironically enjoy, so I'm very much looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Toastkart View Post
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you pause the trailer at 1:42, there's literally a control panel in the near-background with a blueprint of Mechagodzilla and the words "-Y SYSTEMS: -UM CHARGE" (Maximum charge?) on it. So it's definitely in the movie, if only referenced.

The rumour I have heard is that the movie's title is a bait-and-switch; Kong isn't fighting Godzilla throughout, he's fighting Mechagodzilla in disguise. Likely there'd be a reveal at some point when the big club stops working as expected, or something, then Kong starts to get his butt kicked before the actual King of Monsters arrives to save both him and the city. Speculation, obviously, but I think it'd be cool
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I've never been hugely invested in the Kong or Godzilla movies - they're one of those movies I'll watch it they just happen to be on late at night and I have nothing better to do.

I'm down for this trailer, though. It looks like exactly the right kind of Big And Dumb that I will unironically enjoy, so I'm very much looking forward to it.

Spoiler
    Show
    If you pause the trailer at 1:42, there's literally a control panel in the near-background with a blueprint of Mechagodzilla and the words "-Y SYSTEMS: -UM CHARGE" (Maximum charge?) on it. So it's definitely in the movie, if only referenced.

The rumour I have heard is that the movie's title is a bait-and-switch; Kong isn't fighting Godzilla throughout, he's fighting Mechagodzilla in disguise. Likely there'd be a reveal at some point when the big club stops working as expected, or something, then Kong starts to get his butt kicked before the actual King of Monsters arrives to save both him and the city. Speculation, obviously, but I think it'd be cool

Show
    I over all agree until your speculation that we'll only see the real Godzilla come in at the very end.

One of the reasons kaiju fans are so excited about this movie is that during the press tour last year, people working on the movie promised two things.

1) An emotional connection with the monsters. They're goal is to make people cry for the Titans, don't know how successful they'll be but I'm looking forward to it all the same. The Monsterverse has been very good about giving the Titans actual personality and character without people talking and just saying 'oh yeah, Godzilla is totally angry right now' to give the impression of character. So I definitely think that's possible.

And

2) That there WILL be a definitive winner between Godzilla vs. Kong, not necessarily that one of them will die (though how they'll avoid that with Kong and Godzilla both enacting some brutal Mortal Kombat-esque finishers on their opponents) but that the King of the Monsters and the Eighth Wonder of the World WILL fight and there will be a clear winner and loser. I'm not doubting that MechaGodzilla is going to be the primary antagonistic force in the movie, don't get me wrong, but to promise that and then have the movie end with like...a freeze frame of Godzilla and Kong lunging at one another after defeating MechaGodzilla would be a massive disappointment.

My personal theory is that yes MechaGodzilla is being used to frame Godzilla for whatever nefarious purpose Apex is up to, but MechaGodzilla will be seemingly put down by Kong without revealing his mechanical nature to Kong. The real Godzilla will then make his appearance, likely because humanity ended up attacking the actual King of Monsters thinking they were stopping MechaGodzilla's rampage. Kong will see Godzilla, mistake him for the hyper-violent MechaGodzilla and go on the offensive. Godzilla and Kong will battle to a definitive conclusion about which one is the winner before MechaGodzilla will rear its mechanical head to pick the bones and wipe out both of the injured and battered Alphas in one fell swoop. The two will band together to defeat MechaGodzilla with the winner from the previous fight providing crucial assistance at a key moment to let the loser land the finishing blow or vice-versa. That'll be the grounds for cautious respect between Godzilla and Kong at which point they'll retreat to their respective environments if able since they've established a pecking order between the two.

Assuming of course that MechaGodzilla doesn't flat out kill one of the two, this is the last movie in the Monsterverse as far as anyone knows before Legendary loses their rights to Godzilla so they could go big in the hopes of making an impact.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler: Something to note
    Show
    The original Mechagodzilla in the Showa era films initially appeared disguised as Godzilla to frame the(at the time depicted as heroic) Kaiju as a force of destruction.

and since the original Godzilla vs King Kong was one of the first movies in the Showa Era Godzilla Franchise, if they've got Mechagodzilla in this using it to frame the real thing would be a fitting homage.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Also, right at the start of the trailer, when people are fleeing into a subway entrance, the head-and-neck that lunges into view has a bright red light on either side of the neck, and the head itself is too light a grey and a little too angular. I'm convinced its MechaGodzilla.

Personally, I have unironically enjoyed all the Monsterverse movies, yes, even that first Godzilla movie thats actually just about some soldier. I'm sure I'll quite enjoy this one, too.
    Last edited by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins; 2021-01-27 at 04:52 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

IMHO the monsterverse is not well thought. At least between the first two movies.

At first we had the the Muto and Godzilla species hunting and devouring each other, with the Muto using Godzilla corpses to lay their eggs and then suddenly they all go from prehistoric animals to somehow connected and communicating Titans with a Muto bowing to Godzilla rather than seeing him as host for eggs

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Why is Godzilla so small? I don't even mean in relation to Kong since he has gotten bigger, but both of them are shown to comfortably be able to stand in a carrier and still have a lot of room in the middle. The movies always had a lot of iconsistencies size wise, but like Godzilla just seems off in this trailer and I wonder if it means anything.

But if in-universe he was noticeably smaller, I think the scientists would know something was off and that doesn't seem to be the case.
    Last edited by ebarde; 2021-01-30 at 05:28 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Doesn't look all that appealing. Also don't like the fact they keep sticking characters with magical kaiju speaking powers in these movies. It was bad enough with Ken Watanabe doing this so having a little girl doing it with Kong makes it better?

Probably will take a pass on this and just rewatch Rampage. Did the whole monster ape versus monster reptile angle a lot better based on what I am seeing from the preview.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by ebarde View Post
    Why is Godzilla so small? I don't even mean in relation to Kong since he has gotten bigger, but both of them are shown to comfortably be able to stand in a carrier and still have a lot of room in the middle. The movies always had a lot of iconsistencies size wise, but like Godzilla just seems off in this trailer and I wonder if it means anything.

But if in-universe he was noticeably smaller, I think the scientists would know something was off and that doesn't seem to be the case.
    Yeah, Legendary's Godzilla was about 120m tall in King of the Monsters, but here his height is only about 1/4 or slightly less the length of a Nimitz class carrier, so he's shrunk to about 2/3 his previous size for that scene.

But then in the city scene later when he's standing in Statue Square he looks like he's back to normal size because he's standing about 2/5 of the height of the Bank of China Tower (the building with the white triangles) which would put him back at about 129m.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I'm real curious as to how this'll end and who wins.

Spoiler: Spoilers for a Nearly 60 Year Old Movie
    Show
    In the original Godzilla vs Kong movie, it was Kong who swam off, while spectators questioned if Godzilla was finally dead this time...

Then again, this was during Showa Godzilla's villain phase, and typically you have the villains lose in stories.

In truth, I doubt it'll end with the two trying to kill each other as seriously as the original film. Godzilla's not really as malevolent towards mankind as he was in his Showa incarnation when he fought Kong, and King Kong is also being portrayed sympathetically, so... My bets are that it's a giant misunderstanding and they team up against the real big bad.

Spoiler: Maybe the Cause Of Their Conflict?
    Show
    Might be Mechagodzilla, Monsterverse's version of Zilla (who actually looks like Godzilla) or even an entirely different member of Godzilla's species and Kong can't distinguish between the two Godzillas so attacks both indiscriminately. Could even be a way to set up SpaceGodzilla's intro intro into the Monsterverse.

... Slightly off topic, I'm curious as to what the Sequel Hook for it will be. I'm hopeful, but doubtful, that it'll be Monsterverse's version of Destoroyah. Reason I'm hopeful is because they already used the weapon that spawns Destoroyah in all its incarncations to date, and they went straight into King Ghidorah (another iconic Godzilla villain) with their second film. Reason I'm doubtful is that they would introduce and subsequently kill off two of Godzilla's most iconic antagonists very close to each other.
    Last edited by AntiAuthority; 2021-01-31 at 07:32 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I mean, it seems to me they don't particularly care about escalation all that much. It's not like you can go a whole lot bigger and meaner than Gidorah, and Kaiju type movies are usually more Monster of the Week based since the threats and stakes are really always a variation of the same basic premise. I guess they haven't yet done something more akin to a full scale kaiju war, so maybe that's the next avenue they could explore possibly.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by AntiAuthority View Post
    I'm real curious as to how this'll end and who wins.

Spoiler: Spoilers for a Nearly 60 Year Old Movie
    Show
    In the original Godzilla vs Kong movie, it was Kong who swam off, while spectators questioned if Godzilla was finally dead this time...

Then again, this was during Showa Godzilla's villain phase, and typically you have the villains lose in stories.

In truth, I doubt it'll end with the two trying to kill each other as seriously as the original film. Godzilla's not really as malevolent towards mankind as he was in his Showa incarnation when he fought Kong, and King Kong is also being portrayed sympathetically, so... My bets are that it's a giant misunderstanding and they team up against the real big bad.

Spoiler: Maybe the Cause Of Their Conflict?
    Show
    Might be Mechagodzilla, Monsterverse's version of Zilla (who actually looks like Godzilla) or even an entirely different member of Godzilla's species and Kong can't distinguish between the two Godzillas so attacks both indiscriminately. Could even be a way to set up SpaceGodzilla's intro intro into the Monsterverse.

... Slightly off topic, I'm curious as to what the Sequel Hook for it will be. I'm hopeful, but doubtful, that it'll be Monsterverse's version of Destoroyah. Reason I'm hopeful is because they already used the weapon that spawns Destoroyah in all its incarncations to date, and they went straight into King Ghidorah (another iconic Godzilla villain) with their second film. Reason I'm doubtful is that they would introduce and subsequently kill off two of Godzilla's most iconic antagonists very close to each other.
    I was wondering if those flying things kong is fighting might be a form of Destoroyah. There's also the Ghidorah head from the end of the last film so we're probably getting Mecha Gidorah at some point.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Hm... Well, I guess it's not as dire as I hoped. It, behind Kong and Ghidorah, is one of his most iconic villains. I imagine it will be terrifying and have interesting implications when humanity realizes they can, indeed, create Titans if their own... If they go the route I'd the Oxygen Destroyer turning Destoroyah into what he is, anyway.

That said, something about the trail is bothering me. Kong bows to no one (he heard and ignored Ghidorah's call in KOTM, according to the novel), and Godzilla demands respect... Who thinks they'll be friends, standoffish rivals that respect each other or "this is a one time thing deal, if I see you again, you're dead"? I want to say the second, but the third one also seems plausible... Or the third leads to the second over other movies until it becomes the first.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    I was wondering if those flying things kong is fighting might be a form of Destoroyah. There's also the Ghidorah head from the end of the last film so we're probably getting Mecha Gidorah at some point.
    I'm not discounting the possibility of Destoroyah in the future, but the flying things Kong is fighting already have names revealed for them. I don't know it off the top of my head, but they are not a form of Destoroyah but seem to be some of the giant lifeforms living inside of the Hollow Earth.

They've also announced that there is going to be a Skull Island series on Netflix though there's very little news about it as of right now, including if its a prequel or after Godzilla vs. Kong. No news on future MonsterVerse movies though, which suggests to me that Legendary doesn't know if Toho is going to let them continue using Godzilla and other members of his cast or not just yet. Or if they'll be able to afford to continue using Godzilla thanks to the stand off with Warner Bros.

I hope they figure it out, I love the Monsterverse and King of the Monsters sowed a LOT of seeds for future movies, and it would be a crying shame if none of them came to fruition.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

There better be a moment where Kong takes advantage of his prehensile feet.

That, or he shows Godzilla what primates are made of and starts flinging his own faeces.
    "Is this 'cause I killed the hippie? Is that even illegal?"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I already know that Godzilla alignment is True Neutral and King Kong alignment Neutral Good.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I already know that Godzilla alignment is True Neutral and King Kong alignment Neutral Good.
    I'm not really sure how this relevant to this thread, but you could argue many different alignments for both characters over the years.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    I'm not sure how this relevant to this thread, but you could argue many different alignments for both characters over the years.
    I just love alignment.

Anyway, I think Godzilla might pull a powerful blow in this movie.