New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Star Trek Discovery - Season 3 [Spoilers]

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    Yes. Because everyone knows that in Star Trek, the Science Department and the Engineering Department of a starship IS THE SAME, right?
    So medicine isn't science either, right? No scientific education required to be the ship's doctor? Different departments and all that.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

2. - Top - End - #122
    Banned

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So medicine isn't science either, right? No scientific education required to be the ship's doctor? Different departments and all that.
    Psyren, you are working awful hard to be contrary here.

in real world terms, medicine and engineering are both applied science. Of course, as encompassing as you are being everything from ornithology to linguistics is also science so there's no longer any differentiation at all. You've robbed both terms of nuance in your zeal to be right and everyone else to be wrong.

In Star Trek the series, most vessels have had both an engineering department (headed up by the chief engineer) and a science department (headed up by the chief science officer)

Scotty vs Spock
    Geordi vs Data
    O'brien vs Dax

Voyager didn't really have a chief science officer, though Janeway came from a science officer background and Seven filled that role unofficially after she joined.
    I didn't watch Enterprise enough to know who the engineer or science officer might have been.

The roles these departments played was very muddled, but you could usually define that the engineers tended to fix things and build things based on Science input and the Science department seemed to operate on pure theory rather than applying it into production. (Although, frankly, the lines were very very sketchy)

My problems with Discovery, have nothing to do with Burnham being a Mary Sue or the main character. My problem, THIS SEASON specifically is that I almost always disagree with her decisions and the logic behind them and then the show convolutes itself to make her right against what I think of as logic.

Her "we will solve all our problems if we find out what the Burn was, an event that happened three hundred years ago" was completely nonsensical. Yet it worked.

Her flippant disregard of any authority other than her own, constantly going against the Admiral and Saru for nonsensical reasons, but it always turned our rosy for her.

In the last couple episodes, when she knocked out Stamets and sent him off the ship to keep him from falling into the hands of their enemy was garbage reasoning. It would've made MORE sense to have him jump the ship back tot he nebula, leaving the bad guy and her limited forces cut off from her big ship outside while serving the double purpose of saving all their friends. But no, instead she does the moral and logical wrong thing and gets rewarded because now Book can arbitrarily run the myconoid engine.

Frankly, i don't blame the character or the actor, I blame the writers. They were really idiotic and nonsensical this season, far more than the prior seasons.

I would have no problem with a character driven one-person-centric superhero lead if she made sensical decisions. this season she didn't. And it rankles me how far they had to bend over backwards to make her right when (in my viewpoint as an observer) she was consistently wrong.

3. - Top - End - #123

Quote Originally Posted by Gallowglass View Post
    In real world terms, medicine and engineering are both applied science.
    Thank you, this is all I needed from the "science" tangent. Moving on.

Her "we will solve all our problems if we find out what the Burn was, an event that happened three hundred years ago" was completely nonsensical. Yet it worked.
    No, that's not what she said at all. She said "if we leave the Burn as a complete unknown, it could happen again and finish off the Federation before it even gets going." And that is a logical statement. Just because the phenomenon hadn't happened in 300 years doesn't mean that it couldn't ever again - and indeed, they got to the deteriorating ship just in time.

Moreover, it stands to reason that a phenomenon that detonated dilithium across the quadrant would be connected to a large amount of dilithium in some way. That was the only problem her plan solved. The Emerald Chain choosing that moment to overplay their hand had nothing to do with her.

There are still many other problems to solve in the galaxy - because Star Trek.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2021-01-22 at 09:37 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Flumph View Post
    Well, yes, but the difference is Ivanova is always right...

It's streaming on HBO Max starting on the 26th, so wish granted!

I've heard they've upsampled the resolution and restored the original 4:3 format, so I'm looking forward to revisiting the show myself. (Love the show, but the zoomed in CGI on my DVDs gets harder on the eyes every time I go back)
    I just had to open my big mouth
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz

5. - Top - End - #125
    Bugbear in the Playground

Do you guys think that the truce offer from Osira to the Federation was honest or a ploy of some kind? She seemed genuinely upset/disappointed when the conditions turned up to be more than she was willing to accept.
    Last edited by Clertar; 2021-01-24 at 05:16 AM.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

6. - Top - End - #126
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Was anyone else bothered by the dimensionally/temporally displaced matter thing? I mean, I presume Georgiou was eating and pooping, and replicator stuff was revealed to be reassembled excretory matter, so her dimensional matter would be spreading to the rest of the crew unless her matter was somehow being filtered out (and her cells would be absorbing non-dimensionally displaced matter if she ate any if discovery's food, and non-temporally displaced matter if she ate anything from off of discovery)

Maybe we could cop out that it was the interaction between her mostly dimensionally/temporally displaced matter and the stuff in the future prime universe that was causing such a severe reaction, but I mean if she could survive around 5 years that way her cells would have cycled into the new matter anyway.
    This is a boring signature.
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES
    EXPLODED RUNES
    PICTURE OF A CAT
    EXPLOSIVE RUNES

7. - Top - End - #127

@Korith: Whichever... uh... "molecules" from her that may have ended up in any of the others through various processes are probably negligible from a temporal standpoint.

@Clertar: I viewed her "plan" as mostly a hail-mary to buy time to figure out the spore drive, though perhaps she would have abided by the terms of the agreement from a position of strength. She didn't count on Burnham
    Spoiler
    Show
    so thoroughly sabotaging her, both by ejecting Stamets, freeing the crew and by compromising her head scientist.
    I agree it was a pretty dumb plan overall though unless I missed some key detail.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

8. - Top - End - #128
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins's Avatar

I didn't watch Enterprise enough to know who the engineer or science officer might have been.
    Sorry to focus in on one thing. Tucker was Chief Engineer. T'Pol was the Science Officer, technically on loan from the Vulcan Science Academy to chaperone the humans.
    The above post sponsored by Fullbladder Manufacturing.
    And so begins the Age of Extinction! The Year of the Dinosaurs! And the Reign of the Predacons!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avatar Credit: Kalirush, Lord Herman, Stoneburr, Simius Dr. Bath, Abardam, Fayt, Keris Rain, The Extinguisher, Qwernt, Kwarkpudding, Tiffanie Lirle, Djinn in Tonic, Coplantor, Crown of Thorns, and many more
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Festy View Post
    Fullbladder's awesome.