New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Spells-From-Items and Bonus Action Spells

Bonus Action spells:
    "You can't cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action."

So far, so good.

Many items allow you to 'cast [spell] as an Action.'

Due to the wording, I am assuming that you are casting the spell, and not simply 'Using an Object', yes? (Edit: You aren't)
    And thus you can't, say, Bonus Action; Misty Step and then use your Action to 'cast a spell' from the item.

EDIT:
    Activating an Item:
    "If an item requires an Action to activate, that action isn't a function of the Use an Item action,"
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2020-10-17 at 03:42 AM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Spells-From-Items and Bonus Action Spells

Most DMs I know don't let you use a b.a. to cast a lvl 1 or higher spell and then use an action/item to cast another lvl 1 or higher spell - ruling that the item allows you to cast a spell, meaning you fall subject to the rule.

A few DMs rule that it's okay to Misty Step (bonus action) and then, say, fireball from a wand as your action.

Now here's the weird thing: if you have 2 lvls in fighter and then more in caster and you have action Surge, you can b.a. cast something like Misty Step, use your action to cast a cantrip or make an attack - or dodge or w/e (just not cast a lvl 1 or higher spell, even from an item) ... but then you action surge. And you can use that action that AS grants you to cast a lvl one or higher spell (from an item or normally).

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Chugger View Post
    A few DMs rule that it's okay to Misty Step (bonus action) and then, say, fireball from a wand as your action.
    But why? Like, what is their reading of the rule? Rule of Fun?
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Pretty sure I read in sage advice once that when casting from a magic item you are doing the casting, therefore you have already cast a leveled spell.

It's for the best really.
    Subjectivity is implied in all posts.

Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game. Soren Johnson's Game Design Journal

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chugger View Post
    Now here's the weird thing: if you have 2 lvls in fighter and then more in caster and you have action Surge, you can b.a. cast something like Misty Step, use your action to cast a cantrip or make an attack - or dodge or w/e (just not cast a lvl 1 or higher spell, even from an item) ... but then you action surge. And you can use that action that AS grants you to cast a lvl one or higher spell (from an item or normally).
    Action Surge still happens on your turn, and "must use a bonus action on your turn to cast the spell, provided that you haven’t already taken a bonus action this turn. You can’t cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action."

You can use Action Surge to cast 2 leveled spells in the same turn, but not if you cast BA spell too.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Yes, even with action surge, if you cast a BA spell, you can't cast anything else than a cantrip.

"A spell cast with a Bonus Action is especially swift. You must use a Bonus Action on Your Turn to cast the spell, provided that you haven’t already taken a Bonus Action this turn. You can’t cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a Casting Time of 1 action."