New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: The Right Stuff

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default The Right Stuff

New series on Disney+, which has just started without too much fanfare. I’m three episodes in and really enjoying it thus far. It maintains a fine balance between respect and honesty about the personal lives of the would-be astronauts, and conveys the tension and even desperation of the early days of the space program.

So far there’s been more training and personal drama than flying per se, but I’m looking forward to more of the latter as the flight schedule intensifies. In terms of characters, they’re focusing primarily on John Glenn, Alan Shepard and Gordon Cooper, and they don’t stint on the service rivalries and the overall air of intense competition.

They also spend time on the dynamics of the control-room crew, and they do a nice job of following people who at first seem to be minor characters, but who take on increasing responsibility in the Mercury program. And there’s an awareness of the news culture of the time and its impacts on astronauts and their family—celebrity status, relentless reporters, major media deals.

Overall the show’s first episodes are thoughtful, intelligent, nuanced and superbly presented. Definitely worth a look.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Right Stuff

Are you familiar with the original book and movie? How does this diverge?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Right Stuff

Sadly I haven't read the original book, nor seen the movie, so can't make any comparisons.

This does make me eager to read the book, since I always wonder how accurate any fictional portrayal really is. I've been cringing at The Spanish Princess, which is more historical fantasy than actual history, and I'm wondering at potential liberties taken with the Mercury 7.