New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: (IC) Once Upon a Night in New Orleans CTL

The moment Sarah and Shade start to give chase, the far off figure begins to break into a light run, hustling down the street away from its pursuers.

Spoiler: And We are Off... The Chase
    Show
    Okay, so we are starting a chase, and in such situations I always like to use full ruleset so it is going to be a race to 10 successes. I guess we are starting with Stm + Athletics roll, so here is the fleeing person's roll (6d10)[9][5][2][9][6][4](35), I never give NPCs 10 again but feel free to just repeat your main roll as a 10 again roll. Sarah and Shade will not get to pool successes, but have the advantage that each one gets to roll, increasing their chances. Unfortunately, I am going to have to double post this to take us into the second round of the chase as I have to see my roll results.

Fleeing individual 2 successes
    Shade 3 successes
    Sarah 2 successes
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2020-11-28 at 12:37 PM.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Despite his complaints, Shade began to gain on the fleeing figure. As he drew slightly closer, it appeared to Shade that the person he was chasing was tall and of all things dressed in a trench coat, like a hard boiled detective from an old black and white movie. The man turned the corner, racing out of the French Quarter and into the Treme, a predominately African American neighborhood that had still not fully recovered from Katrina. They said Jazz was born in the Treme, but most tourists and white locals were start enough to not go wandering into The Treme after dark.

The streets here were slightly narrower (still wide by most suburban standards) lined with squat rundown town houses, many of which were boarded up and leaning to the side. The fleeing figure began darting into the allies between properties, disappearing so that only the sound of footfalls could be chased.

Spoiler: OOC: The Chase Continues
    Show
    Next roll is going to Dex + Streetwise please. Target's roll (7d10)[6][10][5][7][3][6][3](40)
    Show

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Sarah could only wheeze out a laugh in response to Alex as she starts to fall behind him. She had the urge to revert to her old habits and assume a more comfortable shape to chase someone with.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Dex 2 + Streetwise 1
    (3d10)[8][9][7](24)

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Alex had no time to keep a focus on Sarah, but rather the TARGET for now, so he just kept his momentum, speeding away to catch up and hopefully somehow pacify the... whatever the heck was running away from Sarah and himself.
    Spoiler: Dem Rollz
    Show

Stamina+Atheltics
    (4d10)[3][10][7][2](22)

And in case of 10s, here's some extra rolls.
    (5d10)[10][4][10][10][8](42)

EDIT: That's Two successes in total.
    Last edited by Hemnon; 2020-11-28 at 08:03 PM.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome dark heresy inquisitor avatar by Emperor Ing

Gender bended avatar by Emperor Ing

.... in her party dress, also by Emperor Ing

Epic imperial Guardsman by The Architect

Dingle Dongle Dangle - Do it at an Angle~

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Spoiler: OOC: The Chase Continues
    Show
    Alright, so at the end of the second round of the chase we have:
    Fleeing individual: 3 successes
    Shade: 5 successes
    Sarah: 4 successes

@Hemnon: The roll requested was Dex + Streetwise. Each round will be a different roll request based on the terrain and chase scenario. Fortunately, Shade's Dex + Streetwise pool was still 4d10.

Shade and Sarah chase after the fleeing figure, squeezing between buildings till the alley stops at what should be a dead end. The figure stands before the two in the dark alley, a wide and muscular frame in the dark. Shade and Sarah are now close enough to catch sight of a long reptilian snout peaking out from between two yellow eyes. This was a Changeling, his Mein simultaneously giving way to a man's face.

Cornered, the man turns and pushes hard through a rotted wooden door at the end of the alley, shattering it and disappearing into the dark. The door was in an industrial looking two story building of concrete, and Shade and Sarah race inside after the fleeing Lost. Foot falls echo in the stairwell as they follow him up two flights of stairs and onto the building's rooftop. Gaining on the man they follow him across the roof, where without stopping, the man in the trench coat takes a running leap onto the adjacent building's shingled roof. He lands hard, going to a knee before recovering and racing across the side of the building's slanted crown.

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    And the next roll will be Str + Athletics please to represent the chase of jumping from rooftop to rooftop. His roll (5d10)[9][3][10][2][9](33)
    Show

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Alex hit the proverbial breaks - he had no interest in taking a chance at jumping over a rooftop. So he skidded to a halt and just cursed out loud.
    Instead he'd frustratedly kick up a minor fuzz before shrugging and hoping that Sarah could handle this from here...
    He merely just went back down to safe, flat ground and grumbled a little... before he decided to head back home. He had an idea of using his reflections of the past contract to take a peek or two at what had been going on a good 10 minutes prior to he and Sarah reaching home. But for now, he'd just wait out Sarah's return at home.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome dark heresy inquisitor avatar by Emperor Ing

Gender bended avatar by Emperor Ing

.... in her party dress, also by Emperor Ing

Epic imperial Guardsman by The Architect

Dingle Dongle Dangle - Do it at an Angle~

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Sarah had a hard time believing the break in was a coincidence, but had to wonder if she'd managed to upset anyone recently. The lizard in the trench coat was certainly not someone she recognised. If this was the man who had been chasing Kitsune earlier tonight how he found their house so quickly?

'Who is this guy?' she says out loud as she pulls up at the roof's edge. Even if someone was chasing you why would you want to go to the trouble of jumping from roof to roof in the middle of the night? The drop over the edge was easily enough to cause her to think twice about following. Fortunately she didn't have to. She could tell Alex agreed, 'See if there's anything missing.' There was no point in Alex falling off a roof either.

Sarah will extend her arms just so and focus her mind on what she wanted her body to do. If she'd learnt anything from Arcadia it was that shape was just a matter of opinion, and she was thankfully better at this then she used to be. Changing by vigorously flapping her arms was not something she wanted to do in front of people. Shapeshifting was always comfortable, as even as a bird it felt familiar. Still, the initial feeling of her body being compressed and her bones changing shape wasn't exactly fun.

After a moment, a black feathered hawk will take off from where Sarah had been standing and will go after the lizard.

Show

So two Glamour spent on this

8. - Top - End - #98
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Show
    Sarah is now down to 7/10 Glam, reflected in her OOC character box.

After round three we have:
    Fleeing lizard: 6 successes
    Shade: out
    Sarah: 6 successes

The fleeing man in the trench coat moves from roof to roof, barely stumbling or losing a step. But Sarah takes to the air, her body shifting into that of a beautiful hawk, feathers shimmering in the streetlight. She gives her prey no moment's rest, sparing herself the exertion and wasted seconds in exhausting acrobatics.

So instead the lizard-man stops at the ledge of triangle roofed home, and lowers himself down to the ground. After dropping hard to a knee, he rises, and begins to run down the street, checking over his shoulder to monitor Sarah's progress.

Show
    ooh, this is getting close. Please give me Stamina + Athletics again to represent the grueling nature of this continued chase! (6d10)[5][1][3][4][9][7](29)

Finding himself alone on the roof, Shade takes his time to get back down to the street, and wind his way through the empty and greying streets of the Treme. He returns to his and Sarah's apartment, where the door is still open, and begins to explore inside.

(OOC: Please give me Wits + Investigation to peruse the apartment for clues)
    Show

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

While Sarah had mixed feelings about her ability to change her shape, it was hard not to enjoy flying. The hawk was large enough that cats and other birds didn't tend to bother her. The main drawback was that the longer she stayed like this the more appealing she started to find the idea of hunting and eating mice. Even if they were as delicious as they sometimes appeared it was a line she was trying not to cross.

She'll beat her wings enough to keep pace with Mr Lizard, but she'll let the wind do most of the work for her. Maybe she could get ahead of him.

Show
    Stamina + Athletics rolled in the ooc - 1 success

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Spoiler: OOC: The Chase Continues On
    Show
    After round four we have:
    Fleeing lizard: 7 successes
    Sarah: 8 successes

Despite the calm night air, Sarah continues to close the distance on the fleeing lizard-man. The gentle night's air caressed her feathers, buoyed her wings. If she were just a little lower she would likely be within talon's reach of the man in the trench coat now. Sarah could hear him growling in frustration as he fled. Sarah even caught a good look at the man's face as he looked over his shoulder; his long alligator snout covered in dark green scales, his yellow lizard eyes.

Sarah was chasing the man South through the Treme. But suddenly the road began to narrow, almost unnaturally, turning within the span of a few feet from a suburban road into a narrow dirt road. The sidewalk was suddenly lined with jack-o-lanterns of amazing sizes and details, and the houses on this street were larger and more spaced out. The houses on this street seemed to vary from palatial mansions befitting the best parts of the Garden District, to run down derelicts that would be the perfect setting of any haunted house novel. There was magic in the air here. This was very very not normal.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    So give me an Int + Occult roll first, and add any successes to a Stamina + Occult roll for your chase. I

(8d10)[3][8][9][8][3][2][8][5](46) for the lizard man

EDIT: Lizard man's final is 11 successes. You will need to beat this total to catch him.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2020-12-01 at 01:54 PM.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ettin in the Playground

Seeing Mr Lizard, or should that be Mr Alligator, turn to watch her approach Sarah let's out a delighted laugh that comes out through her beak as a triumphant shriek. He was close enough that she could probably land on his shoulders if she wanted. What any mortals in earshot might think of this she has no idea. She is too focused on her prey to be paying any attention to their surroundings.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

This must be Halloween street, Sarah realized, as she followed the lizard man onto the strange street. People (...well Changelings really) said that Halloween Street appeared in New Orleans during the month of October, and was a sign of not only the upcoming holiday, but the renewal of the covenant between the Lost community with The Crescent City through the Hallow's Eve Contract. Sarah had heard that Halloween Street was a place of Glamour but was not truly part of the Hedge, nor Arcadia.

Archaic looking lamp posts shone a glowing yellow light from dripping candles onto the street. The ghoulish pumpkin faces leered out from their rows in front of grassy lawns and tawny gardens. Even the most decrepit looking houses on the block had at least one light on in the attic, and Sarah could swear she was seeing strange and inhuman silhouettes peering out at her from their windows.

Finding the softest gale of wind, Sarah found herself gaining on her prey. With the distance closing, she was able to descend. Her shriek causes the lizard man to peer back suddenly, and when he does his foot apparently hits a snag in the sidewalk, and he flips forward fast, smacking hard into the ground.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Once she worked out where she was Sarah is apprehensive. She had the view that it was better to avoid places like this or Louis Armstrong Park where she wasn't quite sure what the rules were, but now she was here maybe it was too late to worry about that now.

As Mr Alligator trips Sarah will beat her wings to slow down and then turn back into herself. She'll crouch over the other Changeling's legs in a bid to keep him from getting up. She's still angry with this guy but will pause to look around her. If there were things watching, they were free to do that as long as they didn't get any closer.

Eventually she'll prod the man in the leg with one of her foreclaws to get his attention. She's not trying to hurt him but maybe an Alligator man would barely notice it anyway. 'You. What were you doing in my house?' She's talking quieter then she had thought she would. Maybe on this street she should try and avoid attracting attention. 'Don't try to deny it. I don't think you'd have come down here otherwise if you weren't desperate to get away.'

Show

Want to look out for anything more dangerous then this guy
    Wits 3 + Composure 3 + Acute Senses merit wyrd 1
    (7d10)[1][3][1][3][3][5][8](24)

Sarah needs to pay two more glamour to shift back, which I only realised after I started this

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

As Sarah crouches over her downed prey, she quickly glances around the street. Again, no one is out on the street, but she gets the sense that eyes are watching her from the windows of every house on the block. Then far away she hears it, a faint chanting in the sing-song voices of children, "Trick or treat, trick or treat, give me something good to eat, "over and over again. Sarah can't tell if the hundreds of voices are coming from the houses, or just ringing in the streets, though the singing seems far off, almost distorted maybe.

(OOC: One success)

Eventually she'll prod the man in the leg with one of her foreclaws to get his attention. She's not trying to hurt him but maybe an Alligator man would barely notice it anyway. 'You. What were you doing in my house?' She's talking quieter then she had thought she would. Maybe on this street she should try and avoid attracting attention. 'Don't try to deny it. I don't think you'd have come down here otherwise if you weren't desperate to get away.'
    "Get off me," the alligator man growls slightly girlish voice dripping with indignation, "I was just doing my job!" He will get up if Sarah allows him to, but does not fight hard against her. "Do you know who I am," he asks, one clawed reptilian hand reaching for the breast pocket of his jacket.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I have now deducted two more Glam from Sarah's character box, sapping her down to 5.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2020-12-06 at 12:58 PM.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ettin in the Playground

Sarah is creeped out by whatever was singing, but for the moment it at least didn't seem to be coming any closer. It would be better to get this over with quickly though.

She does not get off the alligator, instead she'll lean forward and yank whatever was in his jacket pocket off him. 'Your job? You break into houses for a living?' Sarah is somewhat confused, although given the work she occasionally did with Alex she can't be completely indignant about that. 'And clearly I don't know who you are. Was there a meeting I was supposed to go to?' Aside from friends and anyone associated with the Market, Sarah has avoided paying much attention to the details of Changeling society in New Orleans. If they were famous enough to have a reputation she assumed she'd hear of them eventually.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Assuming Sarah has made no move to stop him, the man with the alligator face reaches into his jacket and removes a badge pinned to a leather wallet. The badge is silver, shining like mercury in the street's lantern light. Embossed on it is a shield divided into four quadrants, each with the symbol of one of the four Freeholds of New Orleans. "Maybe this clarify things," he says smugly, a grin spreading on his toothy crocodile lips.

(OOC: Please give me Int + the higher of Politics or Occult +2)
    Show

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

Sarah finds his manner irritating, 'What, are you some sort of cop? Or did you find that in a different house that you broke into?' The identification didn't really prove anything, but even if it did Sarah does not want to give him the satisfaction of seeming to be intimidated.

Spoiler
    Show
    rolled in the ooc - 1 success

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

It takes Sarah just a moment to process what she was looking at. She had never seen a badge like this in her life; in fact, very few Changelings in New Orleans had! She did not recognize the crest on this symbol of office, but after a moment something clicked into place in her brain.

Sarah had heard rumors of a Gestapo-esque order of Lost secret police who served the four Freeholds of New Orleans. Friends and other local Changelings often whispered behind closed doors of the "Security Ministry of New Orleans", most often after one too many cups of Goblin Punch. With The True Fae unable to enter the city, The Security Ministry was an easy scapegoat/boogie man to help explain away when a fellow Lost went missing without a word. They got black bagged by the Ministry man! But that was just local urban legend, right?

Pushing Sarah off of him so that he could rise, the man said, "My name is Typhon... and perhaps I should be asking the questions around here. Sarah, of the Court of Barter, right?" He grins at her, reptilian lips pulling back to show a snout filled with curved pointed teeth.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

Sarah is confused enough to allow herself to be pushed off the man's legs. If the ministry really existed that would explain why this guy was in their house so quickly. Was Kitsune right to have been worried?

She glares at Typhon, 'That's right. But you already knew that?' If she was still mortal there was probably something she could do here. Maybe call a lawyer? 'Must be hard to be a secret policeman when no one is certain you really exist? Let's say I take you and your little badge seriously. Why did you break into my house?'

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Sarah's confidence only causes the man's grin to widen. In reply to her question he asks, "Well, why do you think Miss Sarah?" He raises an eyebrow, staring at her with yellow reptilian slitted eyes. "That was quiet a mess in your bathroom, I might add. Sure was a lot of blood... like everywhere," he adds, savoring the words, almost jeering.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

Sarah will maintain eye contact and try to look innocent, 'Oh that.' She didn't see any reason to tell this man anything even if he didn't believe her. 'Pigeon came in through the bathroom window. Smashed the mirror and everything. Hell of a mess.' No one who had a good reason for it would behave like he was behaving.

Spoiler
    Show

Fast Talk?
    Manipulation 3 + Subterfuge 2 + Willpower (3 dice)
    (8d10)[1][6][4][6][10][2][5][4](38)

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

By the way the man's lizard-eyes sort of bulge, it kind of seems like he buys Sarah's lie. He even mutters a surprised, "Huh," before narrowing his eyes again. "So you're saying a Wanted Changeling who goes by Kitsune was not somehow responsible?" He places the badge back in his pocket and scowls at Sarah.

(OOC: For your success, if Sarah says "no", he might actually believe her)
    Show

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    "So you're saying a Wanted Changeling who goes by Kitsune was not somehow responsible?"
    'Who?' Sarah continues to try and look innocent. 'What happened?'

Show

Well I don't believe that, but let's keep going.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The man just throws up his hands and rolls his eyes in a gesture that suggests, well I give up then. He runs a long pink forked tongue over his crocodile lips then says, "Fine. Well, we have reason to believe she was at your house. She is considered very dangerous, and I was simply investigating." He scowls at Sarah, and then as an afterthought adds, "My name is Typhon, by the way. And any help you can offer would be appreciated."
    Show

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

'See that wasn't so hard was it. Next time call first. If you are who you say you are I assume you already have ways of finding out my number.' Sarah will smile cynically at him. She's not sure whether to believe him but certainly doesn't trust him.'If someone was in my house while we we're out I'd like to know about it as well.'

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

As far as Sarah can tell, Typhon may be speaking the truth, though she didn't buy what he was saying about her being dangerous.

Typhon scowls at Sarah and replies, "Call first? And what if you were trying to hide the fugitive. What if she had come to you for help? How could I trust you to be honest?" He shakes his head in distaste. "Besides, I was going to come by in the morning to... interview you and your housemate," he adds, almost as an afterthought.

As the two are talking, the chanting, "Trick or treat! Trick or treat!" is getting louder. Out of the corner of her eyes Sarah sees shadows dart across the lit windows of the nearby houses, and if she really focuses, its is almost like reflective animal eyes are staring out at her from the grassy yards. Seeming to sense it too, Typhon's gaze shifts nervously this way and that across Halloween Street.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2020-12-10 at 07:07 PM.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ettin in the Playground

"Call first? And what if you were trying to hide the fugitive. What if she had come to you for help? How could I trust you to be honest?"
    How indeed 'Well at least you didn't get me out of bed. I'd be even more upset with you then I am at the moment.' Sarah wondered who this man actually reported to. Was there any way she could make a complaint. 'Shade wasn't in the mood to be jumping across any rooftops tonight. When I see him I'll pass on your regards.' She consciously doesn't use Alex's real name on the off-chance that Typhon doesn't already know it.

As the two are talking, the chanting, "Trick or treat! Trick or treat!" is getting louder. Out of the corner of her eyes Sarah sees shadows dart across the lit windows of the nearby houses, and if she really focuses, its is almost like reflective animal eyes are staring out at her from the grassy yards. Seeming to sense it too, Typhon's gaze shifts nervously this way and that across Halloween Street.
    Sarah will look around to see if anything was actually getting closer. There's a low growl building in the back of her throat. 'I really wish you hadn't come down here. Do you happen to know what those things are?'

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

As far as Sarah can see, there is nothing approaching. But the sense of rising foreboding is hard to ignore. The chanting is not so much as getting louder, as it is becoming more overwhelming. And everywhere Sarah looks it feels like there are eyes staring out at her.

"Halloween people," Typhon replies with nervous disgust. He checks over his shoulder then says, "Probably should be going. I'll come by in the morning and we can... continue our conversation." He throws his hands into the pockets of his trench coat and attempts to pass Sarah on the sidewalk.

Assuming Sarah does not stop him, he will simply walk off of Halloween Street, and into the night.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

Halloween people? 'That just raises more questions.' Sarah notes Typhon's own nervousness. She'd like to argue more about the need to have the interview at all, but doesn't want to stick around in case those things decided to get any closer. Given how she had felt when she followed Typhon off the roof his claim to be police had wrongfooted her.

Sarah is too distracted by the need to watch the shadows to physically stop him leaving, but she'll eventually call after him, 'Hey. Who is your boss anyway? Who do you report to? She's honestly curious if he'll answer that.

After he replies Sarah will concentrate on getting out of Halloween street.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

From the darkness, in reply, all Sarah gets is the sound of Typhon's laughter.

She follows after him, both perhaps to get him to answer, but also just to leave the strangeness of Halloween Street. The street lights somehow dim, making it feel like Sarah is desperately stumbling through a shadow; memories of being chased through the Hedge. Anxiety begins to pique, but before full on panic sets in, Sarah's foot hits a snag in the pavement and she nearly goes tumbling over.

When she finally rights herself, Sarah finds herself panting, covered in sweat, and standing right outside her apartment.
    Show