New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Question [3.5] Biggest Familiar

Just a random thought: what's the biggest familiar a character can have?

For instance, if you get a Winter Wolf Improved Familiar, and take levels in Fleshwarper, it can become Huge (along with size increase modifiers to Str etc.): so you'd have a Huge Aberration (Str 26, +8 natural AC).

What other options are out there? Not for anything in particular, just idle curiosity.

Cheers - T

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Biggest Familiar

A changeling wizard/spell sovereign with the morphic familiar ACF that turns his familiar into a metamorphosis ooze could turn it into something Gargantuan or even Colossal, if he can find something with enough size for its HD to turn his familiar into.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Gain a divine rank and pick as a familiar that gigantic landscape ooze in the epic handbook?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Honorable mention to the Arcane Heirophant who makes his gargantuan plesiosaur animal companion his familiar...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    Honorable mention to the Arcane Heirophant who makes his gargantuan plesiosaur animal companion his familiar...
    This was my first thought... if you stack familiar and Dragon Steed, and then age curse the dragon... but I think there's no one-age-category-before-Huge dragon that you can get as mount, sadly.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    Better yet take Fleshwarper levels after Arcane Heirophant, I have always thought that would be a great build for a Vadalis heir mad scientist!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Wu Jen can take Obtain Familiar and then use Giant Size with the Share Spell ability to make it colossal, since that jumps straight to a specific size category rather than increasing size by X steps. Does that count?
    "Technically correct" is the best kind of correct.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vaern View Post
    Wu Jen can take Obtain Familiar and then use Giant Size with the Share Spell ability to make it colossal, since that jumps straight to a specific size category rather than increasing size by X steps. Does that count?
    They said biggest and not "highest size category" so if your familiar is big it does not matters how: even if your familiar was in the s size category and as then had its soul transfered into an animated dirigible with mind jar it would count.
    So the answer is probably reach CL 64 and then use animate object onto an unattended celestial object then mind jar your familiar into it.