New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground CVI

Like any other fundamental aspect of the rules, I'm pretty sure the designers forgot how many feats a normal character actually had access to.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Or, like with Faerun divine prestige classes, they assumed you would only take 1 prestige class and that you would dedicate yourself to entering it at character generation with your 1 base class.

Except for the PrCs that require you to multiclass if you want to enter. Those just hate you.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

3. - Top - End - #33
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Added stub to ICO Spreadsheet for this cook.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

I have a weird idea worth exploring. If it pans out (!) I’ll cook it up.

Some of the requirements are odd. I assume the fluff requirement of “The character must go through a disgusting and humiliating sexual ritual” will have to be handwaved or alluded to, since we’re supposed to be PG over here. but should we assume that the ritual is a particular one, that the PC participates in as part of becoming a Disciple. Not just any humiliating and disgusting sexual experience will count?

And I find it odd that a class whose adherents are described as being “quick to betray her friends and allies” and as having “no honor, shame or scruples” could be any evil, even lawful evil. You’d think that would be describing a non-good non-lawful character.

And you’d think that a PC who specializes in betrayal would be summoning demons rather than devils. But okay....
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    This. This sooooo much. I wasn't expecting *two* thread wins from you.
    Spoiler: Avatar & Iron Chef Awards
    Show
    Awesome Dragonfire Bard Avatar by Oneris. A detailed version is here.
    Iron Chef awards:
    IC C Swiftblade: Honorable Mention for Pahika Kanikani, the Wardancer
    IC CII Blade Dancer: Silver for Hu Tiaowu, the Jungle Guardian

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

A devil will not break their word, but they will lie, cheat, and betray as often as they desire. They just have to word their sentences and promises very precisely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombulian View Post
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

I have a rather entertaining idea ... which I'm 99% sure doesn't work

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge in the Playground CVI

I'm actually ahead of schedule with my dumb idea, so I should be able to get an entry in with time to spare.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

I have a dumb and bad idea that I will be building on.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Quester View Post
    I have a weird idea worth exploring. If it pans out (!) I’ll cook it up.

Some of the requirements are odd. I assume the fluff requirement of “The character must go through a disgusting and humiliating sexual ritual” will have to be handwaved or alluded to, since we’re supposed to be PG over here. but should we assume that the ritual is a particular one, that the PC participates in as part of becoming a Disciple. Not just any humiliating and disgusting sexual experience will count?

And I find it odd that a class whose adherents are described as being “quick to betray her friends and allies” and as having “no honor, shame or scruples” could be any evil, even lawful evil. You’d think that would be describing a non-good non-lawful character.

And you’d think that a PC who specializes in betrayal would be summoning demons rather than devils. But okay....
    Good question. Forum rules are pretty strict about this, and more importantly I don't want to make anyone have to write anything they don't want, so I'm ruling on this.

No build is required to discuss the ritual in their backstory. Judges may not penalize a dish for not discussing the ritual.

You are not prohibited from having it in your backstory, but please practice some discretion with the detail it receives.

As for the alignment thing, it's to match the fact that devils are LE. One could certainly argue that treachery is unlawful since it often involves breaking promises, but the lords of the nine are always betraying each other over stuff, so I got nothing.
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

This!? This is the class that gives me my best* idea in... well, in quite some time?! Man, I hope it's not the same wacky idea the others have.

* Well, for a given value of best. It's sure hilarious.

EDIT: Okay, so this idea is either illegal or pretty cheesy. Will I proceed? Maybe.
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2020-10-21 at 11:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

I mean, we had a build delve deep into TO last round and do well, so...
    Awards

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Holy crap. I just found a feat that makes my idea work with no cheese at all! And gives additional benefits!

EDIT: Well, without straining RAW, at least. "No cheese" is a stretch.
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2020-10-22 at 09:27 PM.
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

I've only got one little seed of an idea. It's kind of far out there and it hasn't properly germinated yet. We'll see if I can find a trick that's sufficiently audacious to justify what I'd have to do...
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

I can’t wait for the fluff on your entry, Venger.
    It is done. I hope you enjoy it.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I have submitted a build. Let's see whether I have the time and will to finish my second stub. And before you ask, yes, they were supposed to be one build, but the feats got in the way. Truly, sadness radiates from my every pore, knowing that I will never see their stupidity combined. Unless Iron Chef DCLXVIII is gestalt Disciple of Mammon, in which case I'm cooking.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Rules Clarification: The Non-detection cast at 9th level of Disc. of Mammon.

"A 9th-level disciple of Mammon can constantly produce an effect identical to a nondetection spell cast by an 18th-level caster. This ability cannot be dispelled, but it can be suppressed."
    Nondetection

"If a divination is attempted against the warded creature or item, the caster of the divination must succeed on a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) against a DC of 11 + the caster level of the spellcaster who cast nondetection. If you cast nondetection on yourself or on an item currently in your possession, the DC is 15 + your caster level.

If cast on a creature, nondetection wards the creature's gear as well as the creature itself."
    It doesn't say that the caster is you, it just says that you produce the effect.

Are we using DC 15 + caster level?

or DC 11+caster level?

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

Use DC 15 + caster level for caster level checks made against your nondetection.

I can give you this much.
    Awards

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Build finalized, table done as well as most of the write-up, and I'm happy with my idea. Going to be a race against time, though; busy day at work tomorrow and I'll be traveling without computer Friday through Sunday, so I basically have Thursday to get the fluff together and make it all aesthetically pleasing. We'll see!
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

I have a kind of awesome and stupid idea, but I doubt it's a particularly original idea (based on a bad joke, mostly). It seems kind of obvious to me, and I suspect to many of you.

And I have a really busy week ahead. So I'l keep my idea as a bad joke and a (literal) back of an envelope sketch, since I won't be able to make time to pad it all out into a full entry.

I'm desperately curious what you all can do with this though. A few aspects of this class seem to have potential for exploitation in interesting ways, but I can't yet see what they are, beyond the one or two that my build would focus on. (That's why this class is a good SI.)

I can't wait for the reveal.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    This. This sooooo much. I wasn't expecting *two* thread wins from you.
    Spoiler: Avatar & Iron Chef Awards
    Show
    Awesome Dragonfire Bard Avatar by Oneris. A detailed version is here.
    Iron Chef awards:
    IC C Swiftblade: Honorable Mention for Pahika Kanikani, the Wardancer
    IC CII Blade Dancer: Silver for Hu Tiaowu, the Jungle Guardian

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

I, as well, am anxious to see what y'all came up with. It seems a few people are opting out of submitting this time around - I hope we'll have a nice number of entries (though a small number would certainly make my job easier). Good luck to everyone!

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Figured out my build. Excited to see what other people have come up with.

Iron Chef Medals!

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Skills always give me a headache! I've gotten the table ready, once the headache is gone and I find time I will begin writing the mechanical stuff and fluff. I'm cutting it close to the deadline so it might be.... not the best.
    I feel like telling the ghost of Gary Gygax to hold your beer is a good way to suddenly stop being the GM, but I have to admit that this would probably be remarkably effective. At what, I dunno, but effective.
    I am continually astounded by how new you are here in contrast to how impressive your mind is.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Falontani View Post
    Skills always give me a headache! I've gotten the table ready, once the headache is gone and I find time I will begin writing the mechanical stuff and fluff. I'm cutting it close to the deadline so it might be.... not the best.
    Let this song encourage you.
    Awards

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

I submitted a thing. It's a glorious mess. I don't think I need to worry about vizzinni, but considering what I put down, I also don't think I need to worry about winning either.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Real life has caught up to me in a big way. Don't think I'll be able to get mine in. Ah well, I was having trouble thinking of good fluff for it anyway.
    Optimization Trophies

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Build Submitted, can't wait to see everyone else's tomorrow!

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

I don't have a lot of confidence that my build will score well, but I'm glad I got it in.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    I don't have a lot of confidence that my build will score well, but I'm glad I got it in.
    There's no way that i dont get last.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Pixie in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

OK, my (first ever Iron Chef!) build is in. It's bad, but at least I got it done. Didn't realize how early builds were due! I apologize in advance to the judge(s) and I'm happy to clarify any/every thing. I wish I had more time to work on the flavor (it could have been so cool!) and filling out all the abilities. At least my core trick is in there, which I hope is original!

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

Hush falls over Optimization Stadium. The reveal begins! (Please don't post until the all clear)
    Awards