New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Polearm Master in hardcover adventures - should the DM add magical polearms?

Quote Originally Posted by EggKookoo View Post
    One thing I do with tailored items is put/equip them on the creatures the party is intended to fight, as opposed to having them sitting in a chest in the back of the chamber somewhere. Not any less forced, strictly speaking, but it creates a bit of excitement and makes the item feel more earned. Plus it lets me show off any signature features.
    Was going to say exactly the same thing. There's nothing at all contrived about giving a player exactly the weapon they want when they had to beat its' current wielder to get it. Even better if they hear about Mordoth and his Black Glaive ahead of time, so that when they finally beat Mordoth and loot his +2 Glaive, it feels earned. Easy to buff up an NPC in a published adventure with a weapon or item intended to fall into the player's hands, and if there's some foreshadowing built into the module that lets them know the encounter with the NPC is coming, throw in some discussion of their gear, too. That's how I've played it, whenever I've done a pre-published adventure that wasn't giving out loot that was well-suited to the players.

You want a magic blowgun? Sure, I'll fight you for it...

Another possibility is that, even with the punishing Crafting rules for downtime, a basic +1 Polearm is only an Uncommon item, and one can be enchanted by a 3rd level caster for 500gp over 20 days, by the book. Many published adventures have a time-sensitive element to them, so this is not a viable solution every time, but really 500 gold and a few weeks of an NPC's time is not too much to manage. If it feels too "magic-shop"ey to your group, play it out as an encounter, or a reward from a grateful NPC...work the act of convincing this spellcaster/weaponsmith to make you a magic polearm into the story somehow.

Getting cool gear is fun, and anything that makes the game more fun is a good thing, as I see it.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Default Re: Polearm Master in hardcover adventures - should the DM add magical polearms?

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodcloud View Post
    Am lawyer, play Dnd, DND was actually part of the reason I chose my career. If I actually enjoy looking for obscure rules in books, why not get paid for it?

Also, I have old notes from a law interpretation graduate level course I wanted to adapt to suggest better rule arguing than boring and useless raw vs rai, but I need to translate the material and I have a life and ****, so hasn't happened yet.
    Honestly, if you tried D&D style rules lawyering in a US court, you get laughed at. At best. Likely you'd get Rule 11 sanctions for frivolous arguments. Courts don't turn on exact weasel wording much at all--there are hosts of canons of construction that say otherwise and look at intent, purpose, common understanding, equity, etc.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

3. - Top - End - #93

Quote Originally Posted by micahaphone View Post
    Very well said Max. I do see that aspect of the feat as meaningful (+2 STR is useful for all weapons, PAM is only for certain weapons, such is the tradeoff), but I see the tradeoff of not ever finding meaningful loot to be a part of the game that is not fun. There are plenty of meaningful choices that my table frequently skips over because we don't find them fun, like 5E's detailed travelling and exploration rules.

For example, let's say you have a party of a big hulking barbarian who enjoys swinging a great axe and the player doesn't care much for optimizing, they're just here to have fun with friends, a cleric, a sniper rogue, and a wizard. You've got a great 4 person party that can cover most of the roles, I'd call them fairly well balanced. Great for delving into dungeons. If rolling on the loot tables keeps giving them magical longswords, and no one in the party wants to use them, is that a fun reward at the end of the dungeon? Only one character could really use them (the barbarian), and this player thinks it's more fun to stick to his mental image of a big double headed axe.
    Especially if there's some sort of larger plot/threat happening (like in the published campaigns), and the players don't want to spend lots of down time searching for a buyer each time they find a magic longsword in the dungeon.
    I think the building tension of the never-ending longswords could contribute to fun, yes, especially if you have the Barbarian roll the treasure die on the spot when they open up the treasure chest or whatever. Sooner or later he's going to find a magical axe, but sure, I can imagine rolling 5 longswords in a row to be as enjoyable as being the one guy who only seems to roll natural 1s on critical fights (until that one time he rolls two 20s).

But, I probably play a different style of RPG than you do, so what's fun for me and my players might not be the kind of fun you're aiming for. (And what's fun for you might be something I would use something other than 5E to run. E.g. you can play 5E as a game of corporate espionage and accumulating custom gear to make you more deadly, but I would just do that in Shadowrun. You can run 5E as a game of emotional drama and relationship exploration, but I would run that in DramaSystem. You can run 5E as the exploration of powerful magic systems and mythical archetypes, but I would run that game in AD&D. 5E is the game you play when you want to run a crunchy, somewhat open-ended power fantasy adventure game in which the Promise of D&D is extended to the players:

Let it be resolved that: The promise of D&D is that all the important problems in life can be solved with violence.

That’s sort of a big bold statement, so let me carry on with immediately backtracking and clarifying.

Look, if your own personal D&D game involves 90% of the time spent talking to people, or peacefully marching through the wilderness, or otherwise not sticking sharp pieces of metal into squishy bags of meat, that’s just fine. I’m not trying to tell you you’re playing D&D all wrong or missing the point or anything like that.

I might suggest that D&D, as a system, doesn’t offer as much support as several other systems for problem-solving methods beyond the immediate application of stabbing. But you probably already knew that, so let’s move on.

And if you solved a couple of your big important D&D problems without resorting to violence, out of dozens, that’s fine too. I don’t believe D&D promises that you must solve all your important problems with violence — merely that you could, if you felt like it, which you probably will.

So when you see me commenting on how I'd run 5E, it's with this kind of gameplay in mind, which may or may not be the kind of game you are running in 5E. You'll see me talk about running elections, for example, but also about how cheating in elections can lead to assassination attempts. Violence is always lurking in the background somewhere as a potential solution to problems, for both PCs and NPCs.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Manuel View Post
    Another possibility is that, even with the punishing Crafting rules for downtime, a basic +1 Polearm is only an Uncommon item, and one can be enchanted by a 3rd level caster for 500gp over 20 days, by the book. Many published adventures have a time-sensitive element to them, so this is not a viable solution every time, but really 500 gold and a few weeks of an NPC's time is not too much to manage. If it feels too "magic-shop"ey to your group, play it out as an encounter, or a reward from a grateful NPC...work the act of convincing this spellcaster/weaponsmith to make you a magic polearm into the story somehow.
    That works provided you first found the formula in an ancient ruin or whatever, provided the exotic ingredients that are found while adventuring, and then found an NPC with the required tool proficieny.

Its not just "find an NPC caster" any more.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
    That works provided you first found the formula in an ancient ruin or whatever, provided the exotic ingredients that are found while adventuring, and then found an NPC with the required tool proficieny.

Its not just "find an NPC caster" any more.
    Yeah. Crafting is designed to force you to adventure, not play downtime engineer. And the formulae are one step more rare than the item--finding an Uncommon formula is equivalent to finding a Rare item. And then you need a CR 3-4 "boss" (or location guarded by something like that) for the exotic ingredient the formula requires.
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!

6. - Top - End - #96
    Bugbear in the Playground

Rest assured, my games have plenty of problem solving violence in them! Currently, my players are hunting down a secretive devil cult in an arcane college town to kill the devil running it. On the behest of another devil. Not much combat during the search (and boy have they surprised me with how they went about the search), but they're about to arrest the secret cult leader, and things are going to pop off.

I have enjoyed running/playing other systems too. Big points to Stars Without Number for managing to thread the needle between D20 and 2d6 systems by using both for different aspects.

I think it comes down to my desire to curate the game somewhat for my players and to match their preferences. I'm not going to run a "save the world" plot for a group of money hungry murder hobos, and I won't set up a "world is your oyster" sandbox for players who want to feel heroic while following a plot.

I could just write the adventure ahead of time, plug it into a computer, and have it run the game exactly as RAW as possible, because a computer will remember the rules better than I ever can, and it can look up stat blocks in half a second while I thumb through books. But we're playing a table top for things a video game can never provide, a DM's ability to change and improvise on the fly. I don't want every loot pile to contain exactly what the players need, but after the second magic longsword that no one wants shows up, I'll step in as a DM and change it to a great axe or whatever the players would appreciate.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AdAstra View Post

2. Magic items are tailored, more or less. Basically, people get items that are likely to actually be fun to use. Someone hasn't seen any items that work for them? Throw them something that it makes sense for them to use.

I think players shouldn't expect a perfectly custom made magic item of any kind, ever, unless they happen to be the one making it. This goes for rods of the pact keeper, staves of the magi, whatever.

There are plenty of ways around the need-magic-to-damage-certain-monsters problem.

Any player that specializes too much in one thing is going to have to spend some time on the sidelines if they can't adapt. That goes for all-melee-no-ranged builds, polearm only builds, stealth-only builds, etcetera.

Besides, what happens if only one magic polearm is found and three players want it? Magic items are like a box of chocolates.
    Last edited by cutlery; 2020-10-19 at 02:49 PM.

8. - Top - End - #98

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    Yeah. Crafting is designed to force you to adventure, not play downtime engineer. And the formulae are one step more rare than the item--finding an Uncommon formula is equivalent to finding a Rare item. And then you need a CR 3-4 "boss" (or location guarded by something like that) for the exotic ingredient the formula requires.
    Not that any of these things are insurmountable obstacles, of course.

(And they also lead directly to other things like plentiful Wands of Magic Missile.)

I think it comes down to my desire to curate the game somewhat for my players and to match their preferences. I'm not going to run a "save the world" plot for a group of money hungry murder hobos, and I won't set up a "world is your oyster" sandbox for players who want to feel heroic while following a plot.

I could just write the adventure ahead of time, plug it into a computer, and have it run the game exactly as RAW as possible, because a computer will remember the rules better than I ever can, and it can look up stat blocks in half a second while I thumb through books. But we're playing a table top for things a video game can never provide, a DM's ability to change and improvise on the fly. I don't want every loot pile to contain exactly what the players need, but after the second magic longsword that no one wants shows up, I'll step in as a DM and change it to a great axe or whatever the players would appreciate.
    That makes sense. I understand where you're coming from now.
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2020-10-19 at 02:51 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by MaxWilson View Post
    Not that any of these things are insurmountable obstacles, of course.

(And they also lead directly to other things like plentiful Wands of Magic Missile.)
    The existence of a formula is entirely in the hands of the DM. As is the availability of the exotic ingredient. And that's one exotic ingredient (ie one quest) per item, at least by default.

Like all questions of magic items, 5e leaves it entirely up to the DM. They can use any setting they like for that parameter. You don't get magic items unless the DM gives them to you explicitly. And no rules-based cause to whine unless the DM does so in a biased manner (ie gives his favorites all the toys). The players have exactly zero levers here, it's all in the DM's hand.

Now, IMO, the DM should be relatively generous within the parameters of the world. Constantly giving things no one can use is obnoxious. But if you're adventuring in dwarf territory, don't expect to find lots of powerful bows. And vice versa for elves and battleaxes. Unless the world takes a different view on such things, of course.

10. - Top - End - #100

Now, IMO, the DM should be relatively generous within the parameters of the world. Constantly giving things no one can use is obnoxious. But if you're adventuring in dwarf territory, don't expect to find lots of powerful bows. And vice versa for elves and battleaxes. Unless the world takes a different view on such things, of course.
    Now you've got me thinking about elves making elegant enchanted axes that are useful for slicing through unsightly vines or unwanted trees or something, and dwarves making dynamite loaded crossbows.

11. - Top - End - #101

The existence of a formula is entirely in the hands of the DM. As is the availability of the exotic ingredient. And that's one exotic ingredient (ie one quest) per item, at least by default.
    AFB but IIRC there's actually no default here--Xanathar's doesn't say a word about ingredient quantity and neither does the DMG.

Also, it's not entirely in the hands of the DM--players can pursue information through whatever means they choose, including the Sage background by the way. Players aren't required to just sit there passively waiting for a juicy secret to land in their lap.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Merudo View Post
    In most official D&D adventures, there are no magical polearms. This means no magical glaive, halberd, pike, or spear.

The exception is usually quarterstaffs. I noticed there is a surprising high number of magical staves in published adventures. So if someone makes quarterstaff + shield build with the polearm master feat, they'll probably be okay even if the DM sticks to the book.

For a build planning to use glaives / halberds / pikes though, there mostly likely won't be any magical weapon in the adventure they can use. This can be highly problematic when fighting monsters resistant, or flat out immune, to nonmagical weapons.

A similar scenario happens with heavy weapons & the gwm feat, and crossbow expert / SS builds.

As a DM, is it preferable to stick to the books, or should magical loot (such as a +1 halberd) be provided to players when not available in the adventure?
    Part of that is there are few magical polearms in the DMG. Swords, axes, and hammers are sexy fantasy staples, especially swords. It's Swords n Sorcery, not Halberds n Hocus Pocus, alas. Despite the fact that polearms were the real weapons of war, while swords, axes, hammers and the like were typically special purpose weapons, sidearms, or status symbols, polearms get short shrift in fantasy fiction. As a result writers, including D&D adventure writers, tend to just kind of forget about them. It's kind of refreshing that PAM is so good in 5e--it lets D&D hew closer to history for a little while. Pun intended. But I digress.

The writers of published adventures usually aren't thinking of every conceivable party and player build. You can easily replace any non-plot relevant instance of 'magic weapon' with a weapon appropriate to the characters in your party. Some published adventures cite opportunities to add loot from random tables - those are good moment to throw in tailored loot.

There's a concept in ttrpg that I hold dear to my heart: Be a fan of the characters.

Let players earn stuff that helps make their characters cooler, tell their story, and live out their fantasy. Don't just shower the party with ideal magical items willy-nilly, of course. Magical items are more fun when acquiring and using them is memorable. And sometimes it's interesting to get something powerful that you weren't expecting that changes the way you think about your character and your strategies. But, overall I'd encourage DMs to offer opportunities for players to earn loot that suits them, if it remotely makes sense.
    Last edited by Mercureality; 2020-10-19 at 05:52 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mercureality View Post
    Part of that is there are few magical polearms in the DMG. Swords, axes, and hammers are sexy fantasy staples, especially swords. It's Swords n Sorcery, not Halberds n Hocus Pocus, alas. Despite the fact that polearms were the real weapons of war, while swords, axes, hammers and the like were typically special purpose weapons, sidearms, or status symbols, polearms get short shrift in fantasy fiction. As a result writers, including D&D adventure writers, tend to just kind of forget about them. It's kind of refreshing that PAM is so good in 5e--it lets D&D hew closer to history for a little while. Pun intended. But I digress.
    I'm actually fine with the DMG having few unique magical polearms. My main concern is that the total absence of magical polearms invalidates whole builds against a possibly large number of foes with nonmagical weapon resistance / immunities.

For example, in Tomb of Annihilation,
    Spoiler
    Show
    the last boss is flat out immune to nonmagical weapon.
    And in Descent into Avernus,
    Spoiler
    Show
    many devils are resistant to nonmagical weapon damage.

The lack of magical polearms is especially bad to newcomers, who might want to create a cool polearm build, but not realize the adventure is going to screw them over by not providing them any magical weapon compatible with their build.

To some extend, the necessity of a magical weapon is recognized by the D&D Adventurer League. In most season of AL, there exists a reliable way to get a +1 weapon, +1 rod of the pact keeper, or a +1 wand of the war mage, even if the adventure ran doesn't feature such items.
    Last edited by Merudo; 2020-10-19 at 06:11 PM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

AFB but IIRC there's actually no default here--Xanathar's doesn't say a word about ingredient quantity and neither does the DMG.

Also, it's not entirely in the hands of the DM--players can pursue information through whatever means they choose, including the Sage background by the way. Players aren't required to just sit there passively waiting for a juicy secret to land in their lap.
    It says that making an item requires an ingredient, which requires a quest. Sure, a DM could allow you to harvest enough to create nearly unlimited items...but why?

And the very existence of that formula is entirely up to the DM. And there's nothing a player can do to change that. Magic items (and formulae count as such) only exist if and where the DM says they do. So yes, it is entirely in the hands of the DM. If there's no information to pursue (which is the case in 99.999999% of published adventures), there's nothing a player can do to change that without asking the DM to include it.

15. - Top - End - #105

RedWizardGuy

The lack of magical polearms is especially bad to newcomers, who might want to create a cool polearm build, but not realize the adventure is going to screw them over by not providing them any magical weapon compatible with their build.
    New players that select pole arms for aesthetic reasons and not because the internets tell them that it is the most optimal weapon seems like a rather sparsely populated cell.

16. - Top - End - #106

OldWizardGuy

IME, it's not the newcomers that get their heart set on "a cool polearm build"; it's the powergamers that have to have PAM for maximum DPS. Newcomers will usually just pick up and go with whatever magic weapon they find so long as they can make use of it with their main attack stat (so pretty much any magical melee weapon if that stat is Strength).

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze View Post
    IME, it's not the newcomers that get their heart set on "a cool polearm build"; it's the powergamers that have to have PAM for maximum DPS. Newcomers will usually just pick up and go with whatever magic weapon they find so long as they can make use of it with their main attack stat (so pretty much any magical melee weapon if that stat is Strength).
    Can (mostly) confirm--I think in 5+ years (something like 12 groups, mostly new players), exactly 2(? maybe just 1, brain is not braining currently) chose polearms. And that's partially due to a mini with a polearm, not because they particularly wanted to use one.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by HappyDaze View Post
    For me, it was both. I came back to 5e after a long absence from D&D in love the idea of a full plate wearin' bad-ass toting a pollaxe to battle, like real knights on foot often did. I was excited to learn that not only would I not be hamstringing my character, I'd be playing optimally!

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Interesting variation on OP's question:

What about unique weapons which are iconic items, legendary items or even artifacts?

For examples: if it's present as part of a module's storyline, would you change the Hammer of Thunderbolt into a spear because the Paladin has taken Polearm Master?
    That's presuming that particular character is the one to wield it, but it's not a bad assumption depending on the campaign. Since the artifact is the McGuffin and it being an artifact it will be powerful/useful enough to compensate. Also, presumably it's the end of the campaign or particular story arc to be disappeared, returned to owner, heroic sacrificed, etc. The player isn't using it for long.

For something Legendary that's different. Give the paladin a Holy Avenger Glaive when you're ready to give him a Holy Avenger. It fits thematically. He was destined for that weapon. He earned it. However, it's not necessary in the general to give a pole arm version of a weapon specifically mentioned in the DMG. You don't need a Glaive Frostbrand or Halberd Sunblade. What's important is that the Pole Arm Master character gets a magical pole arm appropriate to the level and campaign even if the DM has to make it up on what it can do. With that, the artifact McGuffin could also be something the DM made up so it can be an Artifact Glaive or Halberd of what ever artifact level power the DM wants.

Quote Originally Posted by cutlery View Post
    Right, because all I ever do is talk about how martials are too strong and need to be nerfed.

PAM in 5e is 100% a munchkin choice - and one of the counterbalances to that munchkinery (whether or not it was designed as such) is the relative scarcity of those weapons. Take the feat, use the weapons when available, but have a plan for when they aren't. You might have to use a stave or spear - you still get some of the feat's bonuses in those cases.

It was much the same with exotic weapons in 3e.
    I prefer DMs who respect their players and don't assume skullduggery for every build choice they make. If you hate the feat so much ban it. Problem solved. When it's available and the player takes it you don't passive aggressively punish him for it by never giving him a magical version of his weapon of choice.
    Last edited by Pex; 2020-10-19 at 09:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

20. - Top - End - #110

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    I prefer DMs who respect their players and don't assume skullduggery for every build choice they make. If you hate the feat so much ban it. Problem solved. When it's available and the player takes it you don't passive aggressively punish him for it by never giving him a magical version of his weapon of choice.
    Takeaway: it's okay to hand out tailored magic weapons, or not. Either is fine as long as the DM has legitimate reasons not based on passive aggression.
    Last edited by MaxWilson; 2020-10-19 at 10:11 PM.

21. - Top - End - #111

Quote Originally Posted by Mercureality View Post
    For me, it was both. I came back to 5e after a long absence from D&D in love the idea of a full plate wearin' bad-ass toting a pollaxe to battle, like real knights on foot often did. I was excited to learn that not only would I not be hamstringing my character, I'd be playing optimally!
    I am the same. Poleaxes are by far my favorite weapon and i used to run them on all my martial characters in 2e. In 5e, we’ve homebrewed a number of weapons. So for instance a Pollaxe is 2d6 but 5’ range.

Over the years, we’ve flirted with complete realism rebalances, but in general it’s just too much annoyance and hassle for new players at the table who have to relearn everything (like for instance that bows are strength based and swords are more dex based).

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Can (mostly) confirm--I think in 5+ years (something like 12 groups, mostly new players), exactly 2(? maybe just 1, brain is not braining currently) chose polearms. And that's partially due to a mini with a polearm, not because they particularly wanted to use one.
    Yeah, in a no feat campaign, the incidents of polearm characters was comparatively low. Greatsword and Greataxe characters were still somewhat common, but nowhere near as common as in a feat campaign.

Because PAM and GWM are so OP, they significantly skew the results when I was playing in AL. The frequency of polearm users, and now spear and shield users, is almost exclusively because of mechanical advantage.

That's fine, but it needs to be recognized.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Takeaway: it's okay to hand out tailored magic weapons, or not. Either is fine as long as the DM has legitimate reasons not based on passive aggression.
    There is another side of this whole thing as well. While I run published adventures when I'm being lazy, I prefer to run a campaign that is focused on player motivations. So, if the player wants to get or do something in particular that provides me the seed I need to create an adventure that I know the party will be invested in.

I mean, I'm in a Descent into Avernus campaign right now where my character has already informed the party that if he finds a way out of Hell, he's taking it whether the objective that brought them here is completed or not. Hell sucks, he doesn't like it there. He doesn't have any personal reason to be the grand champion.
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

24. - Top - End - #114
    Orc in the Playground

When I was still a new DM and scared to deviate from the module (because what if I accidentally break something that occurs later?), I didn't tailor the loot at all. Now my party has many magical daggers just because that's what was in the rewards for what they did. None of them are rogues or dex fighters or really use daggers as more than backup weapons. They've handed some of them off to allied npcs as a minor damage boost for when those characters help out in battle. The general vibe when handing that loot out has been a real flat "meh" of disappointment.
    I remember back in 1st edition, we were playing Pool of Radiance, and we found twelve magical daggers before we found any other magical weapon. It was silly as only one PC could use them (my thief), as the other PCs were three Cavaliers, two Paladin-Cavaliers, a Monk, and some spellcasters, none of whom would use daggers.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffWatson View Post
    I remember back in 1st edition, we were playing Pool of Radiance, and we found twelve magical daggers before we found any other magical weapon. It was silly as only one PC could use them (my thief), as the other PCs were three Cavaliers, two Paladin-Cavaliers, a Monk, and some spellcasters, none of whom would use daggers.
    They would if faced with a werewolf...
    I am the flush of excitement. The blush on the cheek. I am the Rouge!

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffWatson View Post
    None of them would or none of them could?

27. - Top - End - #117

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    I tell players not to expect any particular magic items. They shouldn't expect to have all their attunement slots filled, either. They don't get to plan around a magic-mart. If that means the build the internet told them is perfect might not work, too bad.

PAM is strong. Players picking it might not get the perfect pole arm of their dreams quickly, or ever. They might die, too. Using a battleaxe or scimitar is probably preferable to dying.

It isn't like 80% of the monsters in the MM have resistance to non-magical weapons, and it isn't like some magical weapon fairy is going to distribute magical weapons of the preferred type throughout hell or the underdark with the party in mind.

Every paladin has magic weapon on their spell list, every blade warlock has access to improved pact weapon

And, of course, anyone can have a weapon silvered for 100gp.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanarii View Post
    Yeah, in a no feat campaign, the incidents of polearm characters was comparatively low. Greatsword and Greataxe characters were still somewhat common, but nowhere near as common as in a feat campaign.

Because PAM and GWM are so OP, they significantly skew the results when I was playing in AL. The frequency of polearm users, and now spear and shield users, is almost exclusively because of mechanical advantage.

That's fine, but it needs to be recognized.

Of course that's the case.

It's not quite as bad as spiked chain builds in 3e, but it's close.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cutlery View Post
    Of course that's the case.

It's not quite as bad as spiked chain builds in 3e, but it's close.
    Okay I’ll bite. What makes it about spiked chains and not just 3.5 trippers in general? The chain feels more like stick and shield in the context of tripping being PAM.
    Last edited by Xervous; 2020-10-20 at 09:34 AM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

It is weird to make a weapon rare so that the fighter can not use their chosen combat style rather than trying to balance any perceived imbalances elsewhere. A gm saying not to expect any particular magic item is different than saying they do not like a feat and give less polearms to weaken a chosen feat. The gm should be clear that they are targeting a character type they do not want around.

30. - Top - End - #120

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Xervous View Post
    Okay I’ll bite. What makes it about spiked chains and not just 3.5 trippers in general? The chain feels more like stick and shield in the context of tripping being PAM.
    The chain was, for a time, a particularly ultramunchkin exotic weapon that, paired with enlarge could get you 15' of reach and all the AOOs in the universe, in part because the chain also let you attack/threaten adjacent foes. Most other reach weapons (including pole arms) did not threaten adjacent squares.

This is probably the prime reason polearms weren't super common in 3.x; you'd need to drop them or hold them in one hand while using a dagger or shortsword or something if an enemy closed - or play the 5' step back and attack trick over and over. Spiked chains let you skip all of that and just swing at whatever. Basically, every reach weapon in 5e is as good as a spiked chain, but the action economy of reactions makes them less over the top amazing (PAM aside).