New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: A Life at Sea IC

As Orgoch and Shep were shown to the kitchen Shep immediately began inspecting the area around where he would be cooking, making sure their were no holes in the fire bricks used to protect the cooking area.

Spoiler: Stonecunning
    Show
    (1d20+2)[19] to determine if it is properly protected

Once satisfied he laid out his tools of the trade, as he unfearled a large leather skin that was wrapped tightly and bound together. Inside are a bunch of different types of knives, each having their own purpose and job, as well as a mallet, and a hand grinder. It wasn't the best gear one could find, in truth it was mostly pieced together by him over the last half a century of travel at sea and learning the trade. " Orgoch I don't know if you got any tools, but if not you are free to use mine. I will keep them here." he indicates to a draw that was empty. "Just try to clean them up and wrap them back up in their carrier before you are done." he says kindly to the woman as he hangs his iron pot from a hook in the ceiling and for all intents and purposes familiarizes himself with the ships kitchen as if it were his own as he took out 2 burlap sacks, one saying the word salt, and the other pepper on them.

As Shep is busying himself about he notices the cat and smiles at the creature. " I see the most important member of the crew has come to check on their staff. I hope everything looks good for you." he says to the creature kindly as he holds out his hand offering it to the cat if it wished to sniff him or not. " Now if you ever want anything boss I will try to sneak you some treats." he says to the cat, which would be amusing for anyone watching the encounter given how most people didn't ever see this side of a dwarf.

It was only a little while later when the two had begun cooking, a rather small amount of eggs simply fried were already done sitting on a plate as the dwarf went around looking for a meat to go with the meal however he was more then happy to see Orgoch had already beaten him to it so instead he moved onto biscuits, taking the extra grease from Orgoch's food and letting the biscuts cook just long enough in it so they would absorb some of the flavor without getting soggy. It was at that time he noticed the person entering the kitchen.

"Never a bad thing to have more meat, perhaps a hardy stew for dinner is in order. After all pork shoulder tastes best when you slow cook it for hours at a time." he says openly, wiping his hand on his apron before extending it to the other mans hand, not seemingly bothered by it at all. " Well meet Brawny, I am Shep. Good to know there is someone here that knows every creak of the ship, makes me feel a bit safer if you know what I mean." the dwarf says happily as he moves over to the table Brawny had placed the pork shoulder on and grabs his knives and begins to start cutting away at it.

While he cuts away some of the fat he places it aside into a pile, for the biscuts, he tells himself as he systematically begins to cut the meat into the individual meals he was thinking about making before stopping himself. "Orgoch is their any certain cuts you wish to have? I'm not used to working with others in the galley with me so kind of got started without asking." he says honestly sorry about being so caught up in his work he had been to rude to ask her first.

It is when Shep turns the shoulder over to cut around the bone that he notices the black and red tendrils, at first thinking its just the blood vessels he goes to pull them out, however when his hands are covered in slime he curses in dwarven. " Well Brawny I believe we just found our bait for fishing off of the ship. Though I wouldn't tell the rest of the crew, I don't know many who would find having worms in their food desirable. Now lets see the damage, and if you wish I will go with you when we make port here again to get back at the butcher who sold you that piece of meat." he offers to Brawny in a show of support as he looks around for a place to put the worms before settling on one of empty belt pouches. " you want me to finish taking a look at the damage Orgoch or do you want to?" he asks the orc woman.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Orgoch sort of hoped to NOT to meet other orcs. People who would underdtand how much of a failure woman she really was.
    At least he didn't seemed to care.
    And Gruunk went away as fast as he has arrived.

Orgoch has listened tentaivly to Shep's tale. There were something soothing in this murmur.
    "Cookie" she laughed when she has realized his nickname, few minutes later.
    "Cookie! Hahaha!'bursting into snoring laughter.
    "We will be your allies as well. Meeting more allies will be good" Orgoch accept his offer to help.

Orgoch has her own cooking tools, of masterwork quality actually.
    "I am used to the kitchen. I was my mother's right hand. Feeding more then dozen of little savages." Sh3 chuckled fond of those memories.
    The orc woman smiled at Brawny. "Help is always good." Patting Brawny's head in motherly fashion.
    'I am also here to help anyone in need' Her voice a bit hoarse,but still warm.

"Worms? Kids love them. But it make their tummies make funny noises and a lot of mess to clean up later" she say.
    "Just need to peel them off. I can do it."
    Thanks for the OOTSkage of OOTS art, Lord Raziere.

------
    My previouse Avater

Bazzilion legions of thanks to his highness Emperor Ing for the awesome avatar!

Who want to join some freeform Naruto Rp?
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...ound-ITP-OOC-1

3. - Top - End - #33
    Halfling in the Playground

GnomePirate

(Coal)

Finnia Acnestis - Cartographer TN
    We're moving again, I can feel it, the constant back and forth. Truth be told, I'm not the best with travel by sea, I have a habit of becoming rather unwell. Funny that my life's work, so often involves sailing. I have learned a few tricks to calm my queasy stomach, I focus my vision on a stationary object nearby. A curious kobold has seated herself next to us, engaging in conversation with Grink, their words fall into the background as I focus all my effort on maintaining my equilibrium.

"What do yiou have there?" She points at the scrolls. "Are you a scholar?"

“I suppose I am," I say, looking up with a smile."I am a map-maker, would you like to see my work? I've always loved maps, I love looking at them, studying them, and of course making them. Everywhere I go I make a map of the area, one day I'm going to put them all together.”

I remove the lid from one of my smaller scroll cases, unrolling a handheld sketch of the area surrounding Zadel. I've always had a keen sense direction, flawless really. From this windowless room below deck I can tell we are sailing South-East. Knowing that we left Zadel harbour early this morning, it should be obvious that we're sailing towards Aborodan. I indicate our likely course using my finger.

Apparently the captain did not share this information with everyone. A nearby sailor overhearing my private geography lesson, begins yelling at me, demanding to know if what I say is true. The sailor informs us that Captain Thurnwell is wanted in Aborodan. “They'll stop at nothing to get him, and if they do, they'll execute him and rest of us with him.” The sailor shouts loud enough to draw attention.

“I could be wrong.” I offer, knowing that I am not. “Perhaps I am all turned around.”

My eyes dart around the room, looking for an exit but we're packed in tight. My throat fills with that familiar taste. I hold back a wave of nausea but it quickly overtakes me, as I empty the contents of my stomach on to the deck.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Gruunk watches the hilarious spectacle as the man is bested by the quartermaster. "I, I will take your challenge," Gruunk says, holding his hand up. "Three gold is worth trying."
    www.eldeberon.com

Mail Code V2.0 T6.2 R5.6 Eo.p Fbyz MFe.s W$ C$ G0.3-1.6 I1.6-7.9 N19.16 Pc Dacdejtw Xg.2 S01

Yuri

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

...I...uh I regret that I have utterly not a clue what you just saw. I didn't see anything, but you say the ship is haunted?... Interesting! I would be more than happy to assist you in your investigations, but as you'd mentioned earlier, now may not be the best time.

Hearing the thread of another conversation, Fenrick stands, Pardon me Octavia, my curiosity is running me today, I shall find you later today, my required tasks not withstanding.

Hurrying as carefully as he can, he approaches the sailor screaming at the seasick map maker. Placing his hand upon the man's shoulder, he smiled at the man as he slipped past. "Peace friend, I'm sure that the captain has a plan, he doesn't seem the suicidal type." Turning his attention to the map maker, he drew a rag and a water skin from his back, offering both to the nauseated figure.

Can I offer you anything else Miss? Nothing much worse than a rebellious stomach.
    - After giving her a moment to recover and clear the bile from her mouth & face he continued.

I must admit I overheard your conversation with your companions (gesturing to Grink & Coal) if the invitation is an open one I certainly would be interested in viewing your maps, & ...studying your craft if you'd be willing.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Coal sways with the boxes as they begin moving. Her claws firmly secured to the crates. If she is moving, her movement is because the crates are moving. She does not seem to get seasick.

Her scaled mouth smiles at Finnia when she answers positively. She continues to speak in a nasally, high pitched voice, "Howa fassinating." When offered to look at her work, Coal hastily scratches against the crates. She steps over Grink and tries to avoid bumping into him as she scrambles over him. She plops herself down and squeezes between the two. Her tail hangs off the crates. "Yesh, Iy would like to see you nhaps. Myaps are such pretty thyings, espyysically the ones with little drawings everywhyere. You even make them? Such a skilled fellow-is. Iy could have used more nhaps. Iy can get lost a lot. That ish a very large map."

She watches her remove a scroll lid and intently stares at the Zadel map. She points at Zadel with a clawed finger, "Wy was here at Zydel. Thisa map is viry easy to read. It is not ugly at all like other maps." She watches them chart the course. Her tail wagging as if she is getting her fortune read. "Abordan-is. That skill iss amazing. I want to see us get there-is."

Spoiler: Aborodan
    Show
    What does Coal know about Aborodan?

Take 10 on Knowledge (Geography, History, and Local) for 15 on each. That is enough to answer easy and basic questions.

Geography (lands, terrain, climate, people)
    History (royalty, wars, colonies, migrations, founding of cities)
    Local (legends, personalities, inhabitants, laws, customs, traditions, humanoids)

She watches Fenrick intercept and begin to placate the worried sailor. She adds her own comments, "Wy will not let that happen-is. The captain is safe with uis."

She shakes her head when Finnia downplays her skills. "Nyo, you is very smart. You ish not wrong." She hops to her feet when Finnia suddenly appears sick. She steps away to avoid any splash zone. She waves away the sailor that was shouting at Finnia, "Finnia is not feeling very well. She needs to rest." She waves him away again to make her point more clear.

She asks Fenrick at eye level, from her crate, "Do yois have any lyicorice or gienger? Hard bread, perhaps?"

She says to the goblin, "Grink is surgeon. Yois find room and things, yes?"

She hops down and scurries over to Finnia. Her claws grab her wrist and massage some pressure points. "Do yio do better lyieng down or standing up?" Each person deals with seasickness differently. Some prefer laying down against the floor. Others, by standing. Being at the center of the boat helps minimize the motion. Fresh air can help as well. If Finnia does not know what works for her, Coal will guide her to a place she can lay down and treat her as best she can. Her clawed fingers massaging Finnia's wrists while Coal displays her good bedside manner. Telling her, she will feel better soon and not to worry.

Spoiler: Finnia
    Show
    Take 10 on Diplomacy for 16. Improving attitude.
    Take 10 on Heal for 17. Finnia can use Coal's 17 Heal check to resist seasickness instead of rolling her fortitude save.
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2020-10-29 at 12:33 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

As Fenrick scurries off, Octavia decides to go to where the Quartermaster is showing off her impressive fighting skills. She sits nearby and watches, intrigued, as the orc known as Grunk issues his own challenge. After the beating the first man received, this orc is either extremely confident, foolhardy, or both.
    Since her life may eventually be in the hands of one of these capable fighters, she needs to assess who, exactly, is the most capable - she'll know to hang around this person if things ever get complicated on board. So far, her money is on Ikara.
    To add some merry to the melee, she pulls out her lyre and begins playing a tune.

Spoiler: perform
    Show
    (1d20+6)[26]

edit: The melody is so catchy, and her performance so heartfelt, it's certain to attract a few onlookers. The performance may even distract the crowd from the fight going on, pulling attention towards Octavia instead.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    (lol. nat 20 on an irrelevant roll xD oh well.)
    Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2020-10-29 at 05:14 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

" Don't need to go telling the whole ship now. Got a reputation to keep and rather not have to bash in any of our crews heads to make a point they can't call me that." the dwarf hushes her not wanting anyone to overhear the nickname his mother had given him when he was younger. " Me mother used to always have me help her bake them when I was younger among other non traditional dwarven things. And well after beating three classmates down for making fun of the cookies I was eating for snack the name stuck." he admitted to the woman.

" I see we both share a history of helping others in the kitchen, though my family was simply me my mom and the old man." he says, the last part with just the right amount of respect one would expect when speaking of ones father, but with just a tad more as if he wasn't around anymore or perhaps dead.

"Worms are all yours then, they will make great bait for fishing which will help us supplement the food we will be depleting as we sail." Shep says moving aside and letting her take over to deal with looking over the mess the worms may have made on the meal as he goes to keep an eye on her bacon and make some hashbrowns. Helping her until she returned.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Gruunk takes three swings, trying to catch the quartermaster off guard with his fluid movements. Unfortunately, his swings go wide and high and he ends with a nick from her blade. Looks like fighting in the real world is different than in the order. Gruunk bows to her, then takes his place amongst the crowd.
    www.eldeberon.com

Mail Code V2.0 T6.2 R5.6 Eo.p Fbyz MFe.s W$ C$ G0.3-1.6 I1.6-7.9 N19.16 Pc Dacdejtw Xg.2 S01

Yuri

10. - Top - End - #40

GnomePirate

(Greth)

Zarena - Sailor CG

I introduce myself as Zarena to the surefooted sailor, offering a hand as he reaches the top. I assure my new friend Greth, that my brothers and I would not have allowed him to fall. I motion to the two raptorans perched on the lower mast who return a friendly wave. I tell Greth that we work all the rigging up here, describing our duties in great detail.

There really is nothing but time up here. Countless hours of boredom, interrupted by a few short minutes of panic every now and again. It's nice to have someone new to talk to, I've heard all my brother's stories a hundred times.

Greth knows what's expected of him, but he's overlooked something important. Captain Thurnwell offers the best weapon aboard a prize to the first person to spot its sail. A tiny point of white on the endless grey horizon. Greth and I make a game of it, each of us certain we have the keenest eye. I decline to bet against Kira, knowing better than to do so. We watch as she dispatches challenger after challenger, providing commentary to entertain ourselves, high above the world.

11. - Top - End - #41

GnomePirate

(Gruunk and Octavia)

Kira Ikara – Quartermaster CG

I sheath my blade, for I have made my point.

Not one of the new recruits have claimed my coins. They are the usual mix of untrained fighters and undisciplined adventurers. Fine for raiding merchant ships, but entirely unprepared for what awaits them in the coming days. I doubt some will survive our first engagement. I fear these raw recruits will soon finds themselves outmatched in a melee with professional Aborodan sailors.

I take note of Gruunk, a disciplined fighter with a good grasp of tactics. I order him to take the group through their drills. Eager to see if he will lead, and if they will follow.

The self proclaimed oracle is on the deck, attracting to herself a large crowd with her beautiful music. I must admit she is stunning. I share a glance with the boatswain, who yells, “Back to work.” Berating his crew for taking an unscheduled break from their duties.

I have never been one to believe in oracles, I prefer to believe the future is unwritten, that my skill has brought me all that I have. That we make our own fate. The captain is of a very different opinion. Nevertheless I greet the priestess with the respect due her position, informing her that Captain Thurnwell seeks her council on an important matter.
    Last edited by JacksOverAces; 2020-10-30 at 08:50 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42

Flumph

Octavia was right - Ikara is the best combatant on this ship, and by far, it seems - so she needs to stay on her good side. Oh, since the quartermaster was playing around with her opponents, allowing them to get in a few clumsy swings before besting them, Octavia probably could've pulled out a trick of her own to best the woman, but it was preferable not to ruffle her feathers. And some could see the use of magic as cheating. For Octavia, there is no difference between swinging a sword or casting a spell - actually, that's wasn't completely true: any idiot can swing a sword, but casting a spell, memorizing the words of power and the intricate arcane gestures, needs years of practice, so who is to say that using magic in a fight isn't fair? It seemed the other way around to the older woman. But now was not the time for complicated inner rhetoric about the nature of spell against steel.
    She smiles at Kira's respectful greeting. She smiled because she had a feeling the Quartermaster did not trust her fully. Octavia had met many skeptics in her time, so this kind of forced politeness was not lost on her. But she liked the younger woman - there was something warm about her, under her commanding veneer. Octavia thought to herself she should try to learn more about Ikara later.
    For now, she would go see what the captain needed from her.

Spoiler: moving along: OoC
    Show
    Octavia goes to the captain's cabin and knocks; she will give the proper polite greetings, maybe drop a compliment about the ship, and ask 'you wanted to see me?' and we can get down to business;
    Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2020-10-30 at 11:19 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Bugbear in the Playground

Greth is telling Zarena one of his older stories. A complicated grift that actually tricks a rich nobleman into PAYING the criminal because a member of the secret police (the criminal in disguise) is assuring him that the crown will reimburse him, because this wily thief is considered Public Enemy #1 and they NEED to catch him, as he's successfully grifted a large fortune from a dozen different nobles and they didn't even realize it until they were broke.

and get this! Lord Squall was too afraid to go to the authorities even AFTER he had paid out a full 50,000 gold pieces because the "secret police" officer told him that if he was responsible for the criminal escaping, that he would end up in prison himself!

Ooh, hey! Sail on the horizon!

Greth yells and waves down to the people below.

Spoiler: Out of character
    Show
    Some of what was mentioned here...prize? Is this a privateer or a pirate ship?

14. - Top - End - #44

GnomePirate

(Coal and Fenrick)

Finnia Acnestis – Cartographer TN

That's very kind of you all, I appreciate both the herbal tea and the rescue from that uncomfortable situation. I didn't think I would create such a stir with such trivial information. I assumed we would be making port in Aborodan, it's quite impossible to cross the straits without permission.

A few seasons ago I spent time surveying Aborodan. From one of my many cases I unroll a detailed map of the island, showing it to my new friends. The island of Aborodan sits in the middle of a narrow strait which divides the Northern sea from the Southern. Their strategic position, on top of their merchant fleets and matchless navy, allow the maritime republic to control all trade and travel through the passage.

The strait to the east of the island is the wider and deeper of the two, the route used by commercial traffic. As such, the choke points are guarded by the bulk of the Aborodan Navy. Taxing commerce is the backbone of their economy, it is madness to think a single ship could slip through undetected, or fight its way clear.

The western pass is narrower, shallower, treacherous, a massive graveyard. For centuries ships have been wrecked upon its many rocks. It is said that the number of drowned sailors in the water outnumber the population of the island. Because of this, the passage is blocked with a monumental sea chain, anchored by a garrisoned fort on the mainland. Due to limited traffic, patrols by the navy are light, with only one or two ships guarding the area. At the narrowest point however, a passing ship would come into range of the archers and casters on the walls of the nearby fortified city.

"So, are we certain this is a good idea?" I nervously ask my companions. Now feeling sick for a very different reason.

15. - Top - End - #45

GnomePirate

(Octavia)

Victor Thurnwell - Captain NE

Since my earliest days on the high seas, I have depended upon the visions shared with me by seers. You may think it irresponsible of me to trust the fate of my crew to prophecy, but I have often found salvation in the cryptic words of oracles, whose obvious meaning did not become clear until the very moment they were needed.

Strewn across my table are charts of the Aborodan gap, my subject of study over the last several months. In that time I have memorized every marked hazard, every obstacle and barrier. I am as prepared as I will ever be. The crossing will be made on the morrow, of that there is no doubt. And if my fate leads me to the executioners block, then so be it.

I throw down upon the table several large finely cut rubies as an offering to the steward of death. Imploring the sea witch to share with me her visions. For I face a decision between two daunting options, each equally fraught with danger.

“Should we cross the gap to the east or the west of Aborodan?”

16. - Top - End - #46

Flumph

Octavia scratches her chin, pockets the rubies and looks at the maps laid out before captain Thurnwell. She runs her fingers slowly across the map before locking eyes with the captain:

'I see you have studied your options quite well, M. Thurnwell. Which means the answer must already lie in your heart, although right now it may seem... clouded. For both choices hold dangers aplenty, yes?'

She removes a chain from around her neck, upon which hangs a crystal. She swings it slowly in an arc, rhythmically, concentrating her gaze upon the crystal.

'We shall attempt a pendulum reading. Have you ever heard of it? The goal of the pendulum is to stoke your intuition. Through intuitive awakening, your psychic senses will become sharper, more accurate. Right now, I'm charging the crystal with intention... (she pauses for a few seconds, eyes following the pendulum) Now, captain: I need you to align the rhythm of your conscious mind with the crystal, slowly releasing the distractions clouding your judgment...'

Back and forth; back and forth; back. and. forth...
    Once she is certain Thurnwell is captivated by the crystal, she intones a short prayer to Wee Jas under her breath to attract the favor of her Goddess. Then:

'Excellent, Captain. The Stern Lady willing, your mind should be open to the trappings of Faith. Now you tell me: Should we cross the gap to the east or the west of Aborodan?'
    Last edited by NiKkatsu; 2020-11-01 at 09:18 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Coal says in a high-pitched wheezy voice, "Yess, it seems to work." Her tail wags. "Nhey-yyye-mh. He meant well worrying about the Captain. I was syurrprised as well that the crew was surprised."

"You really are a flavored thraveler." She gets closer to the map to examine it and listens to Finnia. "Its sounds riskyy, but I think the captain-is haz already planned his landing spot." Coal points to the eastern straight.

"We can nots fight or get through undetected. The military is very disyciplined. It might be hard to smuggle our way through-is. The law is very strict, but the peoples value moneys. What they know might mean we pay our way through if we know the right peoples. We might find aid in the guilds." She points at the western straight.

"The whest water is very scary. The city would hurt us real bad if they know we iss coming." She points at the entrance to the straight. "We have to get rid of chain to ssail through, but that is hard to do without being noticed. The chain have to be lowered without getting caught-s. If the chain get lowered for special ships, maybe we able to sneak through with them. Nyeh, it very hard but could chain be bound to many tall rocks in middle. Make hole and sail through new opening." Coal seems to be entertaining herself with the puzzle she found.
    Last edited by Elbeyon; 2020-11-02 at 11:54 AM.