Golden Rod
    Fire Elemental (m) CG Eidolon Serpentine Form
    Huginn, Ozlech's Raven
    [NPC]
    Navy Blue
    Raven (size S)
    (m)
    NG Companion 3 --
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2021-04-19 at 12:48 PM.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: St. Caspieran's Mission [IC]

Sol Flood comes to find the group at the flop tenement where they are squatting in a two-room flat. Not actually two rooms, so much as they were adjoining flats that had the walls smashed open (and not fully down, as of worries of load-bearing structure come to mind). The party ... [Name To Be Determined] ... have this as their home and base of operations. It is quite cold, and what space there is of no import as it is a chilly spring.

Sol is a somewhat underfed-looking, scrawny Chelish man of in his mid-20s. He is very scrawny. He has close-cropped black hair with tinges of red at the ends. He wears leather armor, and often has goggles on the top of his head and a green wrap around his mouth when moving through town. It doesn't really conceal his features properly, so he likely has it for another reason. For weaponry he carries a light mace and a dagger, and probably couldn't put a lot of force behind those, anyway.

Then again, the party knows Sol through his contacts with Lin, and Lin can attest to his brilliance in matters alchemical, arcane, and even economical, as he has a keen understanding of the value of uncommon goods. At the Gold Goblin Gambling Hall (where surely he is wasting his talents), he is responsible for the various crafting of special materials and pyrotechnic displays for special events.

He smiles to everyone. "Hey, so, who are we this week? The Troubleshooters? The Number-Runners? The Riddleport Exotics Bridge Club? It's okay, you'll figure it out. But I gotta tell you, since working for Saul Vancaskerkin, I've learned the value of branding.

"So, Saul has me doing some extra work that is putting a crunch on my clock, so I have a job if you're interested. Pretty good pay for what it is, but I'm too busy right now."

Assuming the party at least wants to hear ...

"The client is Marzielle Ajuela, a fiery part-time barmaid at the Gold Goblin. She grew up a bastard. Mocked as a child, she spent much of her youth training at swordplay. Now a grown woman, she seeks the father she never knew, knowing only the name: Beltias Kreun. Using her job to make several connections, she’s recently heard that Beltias is destitute and lives in a flophouse in Splithog Alley. She seeks to hire adventures to flush him out, for she bears no love for the man and intends to gut him publicly.

"Now, she doesn't seem the kind to do what most Riddlers would do - you know, dirty deeds in the dark. No, she wants to challenge him to a duel, and she's that type to mean that. Otherwise, I wouldn't feel comfortable taking the job, let alone passing it along. You interested in the details?"
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Eric is thin, and quite emaciated, although not exactly bony. His pale bronze skin shows traces of old wounds, reminiscent of past combats. He walks with calculated grace and seems to keep some deep rooted anger at bay. He prefers to keep his jet black hair short.

He also bears a number of piercings on his face, on his ears and nose, and usually wears bright clothing, in an extravagant Vudrani fashion that can sometimes show a wooden symbol of Sarenrae. Adventuring wise, he wears a chainshirt and a double spear.

"Can't say I'm not sympathetic to that kind of pledge."
    I just moved with my gf, and might need some time to find the perfect spot for my cpu. Still trying to keep up with my games.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

There is the vaguest of creaks as Lin looks up as Sol enters, her barely-humanoid face twisting briefly in an expression of confusion. Clad in voluminous robes that helped to obscure most of her non-human body of dark blacks and purples, the hood currently down, fully exposing the smooth, bare head and the alien eyes sunken into her face.

"Is this a human thing?" Lin asks in a voice that very much does not match the exterior; light and airy but monotone, sounding all too human in its inflections but lacking emotional context. "Killing one's sire like this? Is she in need of spare organs?"
    Last edited by RelentlessImp; 2020-11-02 at 10:47 AM.
    Now if you don't mind, I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down.
    I cast irresistable phantasmal killer as a 4th level spell. No save, just die.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Ozlech

Ozlech stands to his full height of 6 foot 3 inches as Sol enters the room. His lanky frame is covered in either scars or skin blemishes where his skin can be seen beneath his common outfit and bandolier. The skin blemishes seem to be a 'gift' of the tiefling's demonic heritage along with deathly gray skin, a long tail, and horns. One of said horns ends in a splintered stump suggesting it was snapped with blunt force rather than cut off, and the other works as a roost for a raven with chillingly intelligent eyes. Simple iron rings hang from pointed ears and adorn the remaining stump. Another ring, this one seemingly formed of sapphire sits on the middle finger of his left hand and arcane sparks of force flicker in and out of existence as his hand waves away Lin's question.

The goofy smile on his lips parts to show needle like teeth as he speaks, "Nah Lin, this sounds more like pay-back towards her soggy-plum of a father for not being around when times were tough, right? Well now Sol, I'd say you came to the right place! The Stormfront ain't a bunch of Hushmen, but if it pays well we will even take on church work. So any other details? Finding a destitute man in Splithog Alley can be done with eyes closed throwing a stone, but finding her specific Pigmeat will be hard with just a name."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Term Translations: Soggy-plum = drunk
    Church Work = drudgery or long boring jobs
    Pigmeat = dead body or soon to be dead body

Lostsole, what does Ozlech really know about Splithog Alley?
    Last edited by bcool999; 2020-11-02 at 03:38 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Visto is a fairly tall humanoid, with the head of a Vulture, along with wings, covered in black feathers. While his body is still fairly similar to a human, it's easy to tell he's in good shape, while not overly muscular, he's at least at a healthy weight. His customized Leather armor overlaps his basic traveling clothes, and his sharp talons round out the look. On top of his general looks, he also has the spectral overlay of what appears to be hair that travels along his hands, a belt that looks like it was made of wood, dark black bands around his wrists, and finally what appears to be lenses made of the four classic magical elements. Although it takes some effort to properly identify these, a well trained eye can still recognize them at a glance.

Visto looks up at the man speaking to his group. "Visto understands the needs of Humans to settle with their birth givers. Visto agrees to this."
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Rodriguez turns his attention away from his drink to look at Sol curiously. Rodriguez is a fairly bestial looking pitborn trifling. He is six feet four inches tall with a robust build, which is augmented further by his horns. They arch straight up and back over his head, scraping the ceiling in places. The bases of the horns are surrounded by a mop of shaggy brown hair. He has olive green skin, with fur covering his legs. His legs end in cloven hooves rather than feet. His knees bend backwards, although this doesn’t seem to bother him or hinder his movement all that much. He has yellow eyes, with the wide horizontal pupils of a goat. He currently wears no armor, and a dull glowing rune can be seen through his tunic, directly over his liver. Across from him, Apophis is curled on the floor. He is a snake-like creature that resembles a fire elemental. He is drinking the same drink Rodriguez was. “I think this lady’s got more honor than her dear father deserves. It’s the least we can do to drag him out for some fair retribution.”
    Last edited by AggressiveBread; 2020-11-04 at 01:13 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Sol smiles. "Great. So, she doesn't have a lot of coin, but the offer of 100 gp for the group is what she has been able to gather over the past years for this very thing. She knows that might not be a great incentive, so she is willing to offer what in Riddleport is the real 'coin of the realm': a Favor.

"You find information on her blackguard of a father and flush him out of hiding, and that is what she can offer. Please understand, that's the best she can do. She's been scrimping and saving for years for this. I told her a Favor should be plenty, but she knows how coin lights up another's eyes.

"Anyway, if that is acceptable, I hear that Beltias Kreun is in a flophouse in Splithog Alley. That flophouse is St. Caspieran's Mission. Word I get is that the mission is on the level, but might not realize it's got a viper in their den, so, keep that in mind and assume folks are innocent until they give you reason not to; but as always in Riddleport, keep your guard up."

He stands up. "Don't gotta say yes, or no. Your group is the only one got this bead, so not expecting any competitors. So, if it turns out that someone removes the rock Beltias is hiding under, that's good for her. I will just check up here each early evening to see where you are in things."

If nobody has any questions for Sol, he has to go to work at the Goblin. He has no further useful information himself regarding Splithog Alley, St. Caspieran's Mission, or the like.

What do folks say/ do?
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Eric turns toward their new direction, and says once Sol is gone :

"Let's talk tactic, and what we have to pay attention to. I'll start with : "I'm a dhampir, don't use cure spells on me." Other than that, I'm quite good at defending other folk."
    I just moved with my gf, and might need some time to find the perfect spot for my cpu. Still trying to keep up with my games.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Ozlech

After seeing Sol off, Ozlech responds to Eric with assurances, "Fear not Eric, I for one, will not taint your flesh with healing magics. Mostly because I can't heal worth a damn."

Ozlech then speaks to his own capabilities, "I am not a stand up fighter. Sure I can scrap if I need to, but it's usually better that I don't. I mostly try to keep the poor sods I'm fighting off balance and tag team them with my girl Ginny here. She swoops in and harries them while I use 'Life Magic' or Akaasha to blast them from a distance." Ozlech gestures to his raven as he gives her nickname, and looks to Visto as he mentions his magic.

"Don't look down on Ginny," Ozlech warns before others scoff at a fighting raven, "She can do most of the tricks I have learned for combat, and she is smart enough to hold a grudge."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Visto speaks next. "Visto would never look down on a fellow feathered friend who wants to fight. Visto's magic is like friend Ozlechs. He has the power to heal wounds, but his power does not heal the same as a spell does. Visto draws upon the powers of nature, creating storms and similar forces of nature in order to hinder his foes. While Visto is an ally, his magic will not harm his regular allies. In addition, Visto can instill his power into his allies to protect and strengthen them. He will use this power on those who fight on the front, such as friend Eric." After he finishes his speech, he places his hand upon Eric, investing some of his magic into Eric.

Spoiler
    Show
    Visto will invest 2E into Eric, both as a demonstration of his power, and to allow it to build up before any fights start.

12. - Top - End - #12

There is a bluish glow that starts with Visto and goes into Eric, and in doing so, both of them seem to have glowing cerulean eyes (think Fremen in Dune).
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Rodriguez chimes in, I also tend to fight more on the front lines with Apophis here, I know some magic to support us in battle, but very little offensive magic, in almost every battle I preform a rousing chant that can make you stronger and more hearty. It will also surround you with wisps which batter nearby foes, but it will hinder the use of your mind somewhat. You can ignore it, if you so choose.” “Hey Visto, if you’ve got any of that energy to spare I could certainly use some.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"Visto does have to ration his power. Once bonded, he can send his power to his friends from a distance, but he may also need to recall hi power in order to power his own magics. He hopes you understand and trust him with his allocation." He follows up by placing his hand upon Rodriguez, investing his power into this ally too.

Spoiler
    Show
    Visto will invest 2E into Rodriguez. Also, while I neglected to mention it, the E he has invested into both Rodriguez and Eric carries the effects of his Ferocity Vivification. I know you won't retcon this in the middle of combat, but I hope you'll account for this this time.

15. - Top - End - #15

... and now, assuming Rodriguez allows it, he can feel ..... something .... and his eyes glow blue as well.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Ozlech

Seeing Visto invest essence into others, Ozlech adds, ”I have a similar ability, but it is more tactical. You all should feel a bit of pep in your step when near me, but I can also juice it up to help you work together as a team.”

Looking to the silent Lin, Ozlech asks, “How about you Lin? Any concerns for yourself or things you need us to do should we get into a scrap?”

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    All allies (the group) within 60’ of Ozlech get a +5 enhancement bonus to base land speed (not flight unfortunately) I can also share teamwork feats (and veils bound to hands or feet) by investing E.

17. - Top - End - #17

BlueWizardGirl

Lin lets out a low sigh-like sound, looking around as she listens to the group list their capabilities. "I do magic. And not-magic. I don't have much of anything that assists others, but I assure you that anyone that stands in our way won't do so for very long."
    Last edited by RelentlessImp; 2020-11-10 at 12:24 PM.
    Now if you don't mind, I am somewhat preoccupied telling the laws of physics to shut up and sit down.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Rodriguez begins collecting his equipment from off the floor once the others finish speaking.”Well, now that show and tell is over with, I think it’s about time we paid this old coot a visit.” He turns to regard everyone in the room. ”I’m sure I don’t have to remind you, but Riddleport isn’t famous for its hospitality. So keep your head on a swivel, and your coin pouch close. Who knows? Maybe we could get her old man to come peacefully. But that’s just wishful thinking.” He turns on his heels and strides out the door in the direction of Splithog alley. Apophis grumbles, and seems to roll his reptilian eyes before slithering out the door after him.

19. - Top - End - #19

"C'mon, rare steaks!" calls Apophis back to the others. "Boss is antsy."
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Ozlech

Ozlech will hold the door open for his raven, saying, "You'll keep an eye on us from above won't ya Ginny? Would be nice to know when we're about to be mugged. Lot's of people looking for coin where we're going. Guess we are too now that I think about it."

Ozlech then walks with Rodriguez towards St. Caspieran's Mission.

21. - Top - End - #21

Ginny flaps out after her master, and then alights farther up into the air.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Visto heads out next, and after a moments thought, invests his energy into his wings and takes off into the air alongside Ginny, following the others lead.

Spoiler
    Show
    Invest 2E from Stormbound into wings to gain a 25ft Fly speed. Visto is more comfortable flying than walking.

23. - Top - End - #23

Eric, Lin, and Muninn are left behind. Do you follow the others?
    Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Eric also takes the direction of the Mission, as planned.

25. - Top - End - #25

BlueWizardGirl

Lin rises and follows, whistling briefly for her psicrystal and raven to alight on her so they can all go.

26. - Top - End - #26

The stragglers catch up as the rest of the party moves together in the streets towards Splithog Alley from their own flophouse as evening slowly sets upon the city. In one of the most downtrodden, crime-infested sections of Riddleport stands a small beacon of salvation for the beggars and drunks who line its gutters. Throughout the evening, candles light its grease-smeared windows as all manner of lost souls filter in and out of its faded doors.

Squatting halfway down this muck-smeared alley, sandwiched between a derelict wainwright’s shop and a bakery, stands a dilapidated tenement. A crooked belltower rises from the building’s rear, and a half-dozen grease-smeared, cracked, and boarded-over windows gaze out from walls that might have once been white. A small sign hangs over the building’s battered oak front doors:

“St. Caspieran’s Salvation—All Welcome.”
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Visto will land with the rest of the party once we reach our destination. Before entering though, Visto will reach out to the rest of the group and grant them his protection from his powers. "Friends. Who wishes to go in first? Visto suggests some stay out of the building in case the target attempts to flee. Visto volunteers to fly up to the roof in order to better observe all possible landbound exits, but such a distance will make Visto's power unable to reach friends Rodriguez and Eric"

Spoiler
    Show
    Visto will target all four of his PC party members, and Apophis with his Weatherproofing ability.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Rodriguez steps up to the door,”I can head in first with Apophis as long as no one is opposed. I’d like to talk this guy in coming out peacefully if I can. If you hear my chant, it means things have gotten rowdy.” He turns to Visto,”I think watching the exits is a good call. We don’t want this guy slipping through our fingers. Is anyone keen on sentry duty?”

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Eric follows Rodriguez : "I'll get in with you in case violence is needed."
    Last edited by silphael; 2020-11-15 at 06:56 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Just before Visto flies up, and just as Rodriguez and Eric begin to move forward ....Lin, Ozlech, and Visto spot someone looking down from large windows over the mission's front entrance before that shadowy figure withdraws from the window.

As neither Rodriguez nor Eric noticed, they both get to the front entrance. What do Visto, Ozlech, and Lin do?
    Show