New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: OOTS #1217 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    Let's say you're police people and are called on a crime scene. At first, do you :
    1) check for clues, or
    2) ask your partner if he did done it?
    If the crime was someone killed by a gun and my partner had been in that area shooting their gun beforehand, then probably go for #2 right off the bat.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-10-19 at 10:20 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #62
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Quite on the contrary. Oona would still be able to tell that he wants them to follow him, while the effect of the silence spell would make it abundantly clear why he wants them to do so.
    ...You realize Team Evil is out of sight already right? Greyview has to catch up to them first before Oona can see him, giving Durkon and Minrah more time to escape, and therefore the second-level spell was very beneficial. I genuinely don't understand where the disconnect is coming from.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Never claimed otherwise.
    So he's not particularly suspect, then?

Yes, and the Order is an unknown distance away and in an unknown location. The MitD is neither of these.
    Durkon and Minrah were in the village two minutes ago!

What's to overthink? There are X options. Eliminating Y of them is fast and simple. Plus, it's not like Xykon and Redcloak completely trust Team Evil right now regardless.
    I thought we cleared that one!
    I don't understand, it was marked!
    Do you think these dwarves added some crosses on the doors before coming up?
    Probably. Although...
    Although what?
    Myabe it's the indecisive goofball, with no attention span who's never taken a decision in his life and thinks we are his friend who's trying to delay us even though he stands to gain nothing from that?
    It's probably the dwarves.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

4. - Top - End - #64

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    So he's not particularly suspect, then?
    ...he is, though? Doors have been painted. The people in charge of painting the doors are suspect. And two of them know it wasn't them (albeit they don't know it wasn't each other).

Also, the dwarves notably didn't have any paint, it's probably easy to tell that the paint is dry and was not put on just beforehand, and the dwarves have no spells to magically make the doors appear painted.

Like, sure, you could complicate it a lot if you wanted to. You could also simplify it a lot if you wanted to. So lengthy hypothetical conversations in your favor do little to sway me.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-10-19 at 10:26 AM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

It seems unlikely they're clearing every monster in every dungeon. Getting into battle in itself wouldn't be much of a giveaway.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...You realize Team Evil is out of sight already right? Greyview has to catch up to them first before Oona can see him, giving Durkon and Minrah more time to escape, and therefore the second-level spell was very beneficial. I genuinely don't understand where the disconnect is coming from.
    Sorry, I misunderstood your previous post. I agree that the silence spell was a clever move on Team Cleric's part and it will delay the alarm. What I originally responded to was a post hypothesizing about how Team Evil won't understand why Greyview ran after them and how they will just stand there squandering time on trying to talk. I disagree with that position.

7. - Top - End - #67

Ah, good, Durkon can still come up with a joke in the last panel. But the dwarves are running away before they find out that Xykon and Redcloak have been tricked about which dungeons they cleared.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

I love the detail in the second-last panel of Minrah stowing her hammer by putting it behind her back, where it disappears from view and from concern. Just like in video games when a character draws/stows a weapon by reaching behind their back.
    Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    This. This sooooo much. I wasn't expecting *two* thread wins from you.
    Spoiler: Avatar & Iron Chef Awards
    Show
    Awesome Dragonfire Bard Avatar by Oneris. A detailed version is here.
    Iron Chef awards:
    IC C Swiftblade: Honorable Mention for Pahika Kanikani, the Wardancer
    IC CII Blade Dancer: Silver for Hu Tiaowu, the Jungle Guardian

9. - Top - End - #69
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateWench

I wonder if this is where Durkon and Minrah get picked off by darts from invisible... foes? parties unknown?
    "That's not right, that's not even wrong."

"This is not an idea to be tossed aside lightly, it should be thrown with great force."

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

If the crime was someone killed by a gun and my partner had been in that area shooting their gun beforehand, then probably go for #2 right off the bat.
    And if the crime had been committed at the shooting range you and your partner regularly go to and that around that time a third party was seen stealing from the register, would you still start by asking your partner if he'd murdered the clerk?
    ...he is, though? Doors have been painted. The people in charge of painting the doors are suspect. And two of them know it wasn't them (albeit they don't know it wasn't each other).
    The people with access to the paintbucket actually, which is pretty much everybody in the village.

Also, the dwarves notably didn't have any paint, it's probably easy to tell that the paint is dry and was not put on just beforehand, and the dwarves have no spells to magically make the doors appear painted.
    Doesn't their elf wizard friend have one though?

Like, sure, you could complicate it a lot if you wanted to. You could also simplify it a lot if you wanted to. So lengthy hypothetical conversations in your favor do little to sway me.
    Seriously, the MitD is the least suspect person for miles.
    Forum Wisdom

11. - Top - End - #71

The MitD isn't with them, he's (presumably) still at the village right now.
    Why would they suspect him? Do you think they'll ask Redcloak whether he did it too?
    Xykon would probably suspect that he's been stupid and painting the wrong doors when they leave the caves.

12. - Top - End - #72

And if the crime had been committed at the shooting range you and your partner regularly go to and that around that time a third party was seen stealing from the register, would you still start by asking your partner if he'd murdered the clerk?
    Yes, but calling this a metaphorical shooting range is really stretching.
    The people with access to the paintbucket actually, which is pretty much everybody in the village.
    They are setting backdrop. The characters all know they're in a comic, after all.
    Yep, nothing suspicious, nope, nossirree.

13. - Top - End - #73

While I tend to agree that the presence of the Order at somewhere around the Tomb is a very convenient explanation for how some doors could be marked when they should not have been, just how suspect the Monster is greatly depends on whether anyone was paying attention when he repeatedly babbled and at a point even sang about how much he loves O-Chul.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Silence can be cast on a creature, object, or point in space. Usually you want one of the last two options because there's no will save to overcome it that way. Durkon however, chose the more difficult first option because then, the spell sticks to Greyview and will keep him quiet all the way until he can reach his allies. This was a reasonable tactic since worgs have weak will saves.
    It continues after he reaches his allies.

"What's that, Lassie? You say that the Dwarves fell down into the stone?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    From this: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/silence.htm new creatures entering the Silence field around Greyview, get a Will save and Spell Resistance, if applicable, against the effects.
    That's not how I interpret it. I think it's saying that there would be a Will save and Spell Resistance if it were cast on a person, not that those come into effect when a person comes into the range of a Silence field.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, but calling this a metaphorical shooting range is really stretching.
    Is it? If painting is shooting, then a place where several people have painted might as well be a shooting range.

They are setting backdrop. The characters all know they're in a comic, after all.
    Yeah, I'm sure none of the bugbears have anything going on.
    Point. Yet Oona is explictly going along with this to insure Team Evil doesn't kill too many monsters, so she has a vested interest in stopping TE from looking behind too many doors. The Order is more suspect than the Mitd, Xykon and Redcloak ar emore suspect thant the MITD to each other, the bugbears are more suspect than the Mitd. I think the only ones behind him are the roaches.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2020-10-19 at 10:42 AM.
    Forum Wisdom

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    If he can't obey his party leader, he can form his own adventuring party and do what he likes. Thor may be his ultimate boss, but while he's in a party he has to play by the party rules, including taking the orders of the party leader.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    The entire last book charted how loyal the Order was to Durkon as they tried to get him back to being Durkon (from being Durkula). Durkon abandoning the Order at this point (as opposed to acting on his own initiative because he's afraid that a dead Redcloak renders Thor's plan moot) is in conflict with his character since about... OoTS_1. No sale.
    Quote Originally Posted by One Skunk Todd View Post
    I wonder if this is where Durkon and Minrah get picked off by darts from invisible... foes? parties unknown?
    While an intriguing prospect, the two mystery beings were last 'seen' (1) invisibly avoiding notice and (2) moving away from the Rift area. Dragging Minrah and Durkon up into the air while two high level casters (one of them for sure with True Sight) are actively seeking those two dwarves flies in the face of that (unseen) duo's desire to avoid notice. So I'll bet against.
    Quote Originally Posted by WanderingMist View Post
    Xykon would probably suspect that he's been stupid and painting the wrong doors when they leave the caves.
    Betting against Xykon thinking of himself as stupid. Ever. Supreme self-confidence, and arrogance, is one of his trademark personality features.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-10-19 at 10:48 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

17. - Top - End - #77

Is it? If painting is shooting, then a place where several people have painted might as well be a shooting range.
    Huge inaccuracies aside... fine, let's go with that. And then we can also say that the bullet is from a specific gun which is police issue, your partner has questionable reports in their file, and your partner was shooting at the range within the same time frame that the victim died.

I would not call the partner "the least suspect person for miles" under those circumstances.

Xykon doesn't know about that, so they're set dressing to Xykon. Redcloak does know about that, but likely rules the bugbears out. So we're right back to "not the village bugbears".
    Point. Yet Oona is explictly going along with this to insure Team Evil doesn't kill too many monsters, so she has a vested interest in stopping TE from looking behind too many doors. The Order is more suspect than the Mitd, Xykon and Redcloak ar emore suspect thant the MITD to each other, the bugbears are more suspect than the Mitd. I think the only ones behind him are the roaches.
    Oona says the monsters regen, and there are a lot of doors. Oona has no vested interest in stopping them - at least, none that we and they have seen. She has only ever been proactively helpful.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-10-19 at 10:56 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78

PaladinGuy

Ya know, I can't help but wonder what the tracks inside the cave were that Oona had found.
    Oona didn't find any tracks inside the door. When Xykon said "she found a trail," he was referring to the trail to the door left by Durkon and Minrah as a distraction, not any new trail Oona found inside.

19. - Top - End - #79

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Oona didn't find any tracks inside the door. When Xykon said "she found a trail," he was referring to the trail to the door left by Durkon and Minrah as a distraction, not any new trail Oona found inside.
    That's a definite reading I hadn't considered, but I'm not sure.

20. - Top - End - #80

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Betting against Xykon thinking of himself as stupid. Ever. Supreme self-confidence, and arrogance, is one of his trademark personality features.
    I think Wandering meant that Xykon would assume MitD accidentally painted the wrong doors due to him thinking MitD is stupid.

Which still would mean it's MitD's fault but he wouldn't be accused of intentional misdirection.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

won't silence be really disruptive if greyview ran into range of the spellcasters in the middle a big fight?
    It's "locksmith of LOVE!" not "LO!"

22. - Top - End - #82

Thanks Giant!

He did sniff them out!
    To find in order to lose; To fall in order to stand up
    To freeze in order to ignite; To find myself within, and not fear the edge
    To die in order to be reborn to the new world

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

People are saying (rightly) that Roy's going to blow multiple gaskets when they get back, but one thing I'll be interested in seeing is whether or not that trauma he's got regarding getting people killed on his watch crops back up. I'm not expecting much of it - we aired a lot of Roy's dirty laundry last book - on account of the dwarves being gone for a far shorter amount of time and the fact that the Order could very easily have been watching most of the conflict, but it could really be interesting to see, especially after all the grief they went through to get Durkon back not 100 pages ago. The fact that Durkon willingly went around his orders (whether or not Durkon was correct in that action notwithstanding) could bump up against Roy's older insecurities regarding leadership, but I wouldn't bank on it. I think he's grown past that. Maybe. Hopefully.
    I draw, and I write sometimes! Drow paladin avatar by me. They/Them

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm on Team "the MitD should be the main suspect here and the only thing protecting him is the fact that everybody underestimates him". While I think it's quite plausible that the presence of Durkon and Minrah will shield the MitD from suspicion, I don't think that would stand to scrutiny if Redcloak distrusted the MitD enough to bother investigating properly.

Like, it's the exact same paint on all doors, for starters.
    ungelic is us

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Huge inaccuracies aside... fine, let's go with that. And then we can also say that the bullet is from a specific gun which is police issue, your partner has questionable reports in their file, and your partner was shooting at the range within the same time frame that the victim died.
    What inacuracies? Also what is « can also say that the bullet is from a specific gun which is police issue » supposed to be analogous to? The paint? Because I doubt they can tell red paint from red paint and, again, wizard elf.

I would not call the partner "the least suspect person for miles" under those circumstances.
    Certainly less suspect than the guy who was also there and had motive. Seriously they think they know the MiTD, and what they know of him points away from him being willing or able to deceive them.

Xykon doesn't know about that, so they're set dressing to Xykon.
    Oona isn’t.
    Redcloak does know about that, but likely rules the bugbears out
    [Citation needed]

Oona says the monsters regen, and there are a lot of doors. Oona has no vested interest in stopping them - at least, none that we and they have seen. She has only ever been proactively helpful.
    No she said they come back after a while. Some forumites assume it’s magical, but it might not be. In the same strip she says she only comes with to make sure TE doesn’t kill too many monsters. She’s worried about overhunting. It’d make sense to suspect her of trying to hide some monsters to make sure her tribe is still fed after TE has left.
    Forum Wisdom

26. - Top - End - #86

Quote Originally Posted by hroşila View Post
    I'm on Team "the MitD should be the main suspect here and the only thing protecting him is the fact that everybody underestimates him". While I think it's quite plausible that the presence of Durkon and Minrah will shield the MitD from suspicion, I don't think that would stand to scrutiny if Redcloak distrusted the MitD enough to bother investigating properly.

I mean, Xykon would not have to be half the mastermind some take him for to figure out where the Monster's true loyalties lie.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

No she said they come back after a while. Some forumites assume it’s magical, but it might not be. In the same strip she says she only comes with to make sure TE doesn’t kill too many monsters. She’s worried about overhunting. It’d make sense to suspect her of trying to hide some monsters to make sure her tribe is still fed after TE has left.
    One point in favour of this is that, if they assume this deception started recently, they could think that Oona only started doing it when they went from clearing one door per day to clearing like six, thus seriously increasing the risk of overhunting.
    ungelic is us

28. - Top - End - #88

PaladinGuy

It's red paint. It's not an uncommon item. Is Redcloak going to analyze samples in his forensics lab to say "this all came from the same bucket" or something?

It seems much more likely that Redcloak will believe the Order has been here for some time marking doors to sabotage his efforts.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Exactly. In order for The Order to be the ones painting the doors, a lot of assumptions have to be made: that they were watching Team Evil long enough to learn that they are marking the doors they entered, that they have paint (and similar enough to the one Team Evil use), that they managed to slip into the village completely unnoticed at least one time.
    In the Monster's case, if Redcloack remembers the times he showed to be too friendly with the Order and the paladins (like at Girard's Gate, as it was already posted) it's easy to start seeing him as a suspect.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

More like your pursuit of a burglar leads you to discover a dead body in the armory, right next to a place where those specific police-issue guns are stored, and half the guns are missing, and you have no idea yet how long ago any of that happened because nobody went there for the last five months. An autopsy can innocent the burglar, but he's still the prime suspect until that's done.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.