New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Everything Horror Movies: Spooktober Edition

So we're halfway through Spooktober, and not a thread to be seen on Horror movies. Time to fix it I say! So feel free to recommend your favorites and discuss any and all things horror.

Due to being in self quarantine, I've been on a bit of a Horror Movie binge this past week.

Dread - Based on a Clive Barker short story, about a college project looking into the nature of dread, and one member of the investigation team taking things a bit far. Quite liked the soundtrack, and provided quite an intense ride after the first half of the movie being more romantic.

The House That Dripped Blood - Anthology horror movie with loosely connected stories all taking place in the same house. Not super scary, but was well acted, and having Jon Pertwee, Christopher Lee, and Peter Kushing in the same movie made my inner nerd very happy.

Circus of Horrors - Plastic surgeon on the run takes over a circus and uses the circus workers for his experiments in surgery. Anyone who tries to leave has unfortunate accidents.

To All a Good Night- Rather typical sorority slasher film. The twist was a bit blatantly telegraphed, I felt, but the motivations for the killers was mostly believable.

Mirror/Mirror - Goth teen and her newly widowed mom move into a new house that has a haunted mirror. Mirror grants teen powers, which ends up being a lure for drawing the creature in the mirror out. Pretty sure they raided the costume closet of Beetlejuice for the main character's wardrobe.

Bloody Murder - Modernized Version of a summer camp slasher film. Most un-believable part for me was the main character having a laptop with reliable dial-up internet in the middle of no where. Was good for background noise while I worked on other projects.

April Fools - Standard Slasher on the loose at a remote house setup. Decently done twist, and overall likable characters.

Girlhouse - Modern day sorority slasher, but with the setting as a cam house. A disgruntled viewer tracks down the house and turns the online show from titillation to terror.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Everything Horror Movies: Spooktober Edition

I haven't heard of any of those. Although I'm not a huge horror fan I've run across some recently, old and new. I prefer psychological thrillers to gore and cheap jump scares.

Deathnote - Teenage find a book where all he has to do is write in the name of someone he wants dead and an evil spirit kills them making it look like an accident.

Session 9 - Asbestos cleaning crew begins work in an actually existing abandoned psychiatric hospital in Boston and people start disappearing. It's a slow burn to start but the twisted ending is well worth it.

Event Horizon - Lawrence Fishburn and Sam Neil in a sci-fi horror featuring a haunted starship.

I enjoyed both "The Haunting of Bly Manor" and "The Haunting of Hill House" series's on Netflix.

I'm sure there's others I've liked but this is all that comes to mind right now.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WinterKnight404 View Post
    Session 9 - Asbestos cleaning crew begins work in an actually existing abandoned psychiatric hospital in Boston and people start disappearing. It's a slow burn to start but the twisted ending is well worth it.

Event Horizon - Lawrence Fishburn and Sam Neil in a sci-fi horror featuring a haunted starship.

I enjoyed both "The Haunting of Bly Manor" and "The Haunting of Hill House" series's on Netflix.
    Haven't gotten to see Session 9 yet, but its on my list of to watch.

Event Horizon is great fun, and can very easily fit into the Hellraiser or Warhammer 40k universes.

I've seen Hill House, but not Bly Manor. Is it done by the same crew as Hill House, or is it completely its own thing?
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    I've seen Hill House, but not Bly Manor. Is it done by the same crew as Hill House, or is it completely its own thing?
    They have the same creator and producers and, so far, only 5 of the actors from Hill House appear in Bly Manor. Wikipedia states that they are intended to be part of an anthology series called "The Haunting". Sort of like American Horror Story but less campy with more serious story writing/acting.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Vampires (2010) (It's What We Do in the Shadows in Europe)

Below (2002) WWII ghost story on a submarine.

Outcast Relationships with the Fey are always a bad idea.

Satanic Panic Cult decides to off a pizza delivery girl with spectacularly bad luck.

Blood Quantum The zombie apocalypse happens, and Native Americans seem to be immune.

The Perfect Host David Hyde Pierce is a decent psychopath.

Rabies aka Kalevet Israeli slasher film in which the slasher doesn't kill anyone.

Black House (Korean version) An insurance adjuster has the worst day of his life.

Cold Fish A serial killer takes on a poor, dispirited fish salesman as an unwilling apprentice.

Acolytes 3 kids discover a serial killers identity and decide to blackmail him into murdering their bully.

The Piper Korean re-telling of the Pied Piper. More of a thriller till the end.

Ready or Not Marriage is hell.

The Tunnel (2011) Australia makes a darn fine found footage movie.

Infestation Office comedy invaded by giant alien bugs.

The Last Winter Ron Perlman doesn't believe in Wendigos.

Wendigo In some way it's a prequel to the above.

Draug Norse dead people are creepy.

Underwater Cthulhu!!

Let Us Prey Police arrest a drifter who seems to know them all.

This should do ya for now. I got tons more.
    Revised avatar by Trixie, New avvie by Crisis21!
    Mah Fluffy Death Critters
    Orcs and Goblins
    Behold the Power of Kitteh!
    Backup threads available here

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    The Perfect Host David Hyde Pierce is a decent psychopath.
    Watched this one with a group of friends a couple of years back, now whenever we hang out, whoever is hosting always has red wine available