New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Enlightened Warrior 5e wizard PEACH

Quote Originally Posted by Steampunkette View Post
    I guess the question becomes: How often do you intend to give your players short rests?

[snip]

You'd essentially be letting them fulfill their narrative fantasy in 2 fights per short rest. If you only do 2-3, that's fine. But if you're more often running 3-5 combats between short rests... they're going to be a Wizard who gets to play around in melee once in a while.
    Which is pretty close to the idea, I’d say. After more conversation with the player the idea sort of crystallized into wanting a bladesinger type wizard that absorbed damage rather than avoided it. We tend to run 3-4 encounters per short rest on average and I don’t think he should be hanging with the war cleric or the fighter on the front line every time. The level six teleport and the level 10 ability will give a level of defence when he gets stuck in a jam, regardless of the 2/short rest damage resistance. I put the armour and shield limitation for what I considered balance considerations and to make multiclass abuse harder.

Here’s the most recent PDF iteration but I think I’m getting closer?

https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Uw2axNFcWpoH
    Last edited by Seekergeek; 2020-10-21 at 08:38 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Enlightened Warrior 5e wizard PEACH

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    2d6 is better than d12, to nitpick your post. :P

But, on a more important note, even a Bladesinger Wizard is a bladesinger WIZARD. Not the other way around. If you make the subclass as good at scruffing it up as a Fighter, Barbarian, or other martial class... Why ever play a martial class? You can fight as well as them with a Wizard, and still get full casting on the side.

Now, to be fair, I don't think this subclass (as written now-apparently the first version had four attacks?) does that. But, to be clear, the goal should NOT be making a Wizard who uses nothing but their subclass and perhaps a few low level slots (a Mage Armor and occasional Shield, for instance) as good as a Fighter in melee.
    Eh... It's all about the opportunity costs.

EITHER you're swinging your sword OR you're casting a spell on a given turn. But you're not doing both. And the swordslinging abilities of this subclass don't particularly synergize with the spellcasting in crazy ways. You're either similarly strong as a lightly armored fighter (Without all the Battlemaster or other subclass abilities they get that they can add to their attacks or their self-healing and extra attributes and.... all the stuff they can use on any turn to make themselves 'stronger' than 'I swing a Longsword twice per turn!) or you're acting as a wizard on a given turn without the subclass benefits most other wizards get to improve their school-spells.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Not everyone has the resources or the ability to become a wizard or a sorcerer, after all. Warlocking just requires a pact, very democratic, really. Doesn't require wealth or a magical lineage, just a promise, and all of your problems will go away.