New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

d20 Kobold Beastmaster - A vivisectionist natural attacker with two flanking buddies.

Hi there,

so I came up with a pretty unique build I think.

The base is is a Kobold Spirit Whisperer [Bones] 1 / Vivisectionist-Homunculist 16 / Eldritch Guardian 2 / Something else?

The idea is to take Kobold for easy access to several Natural Attacks, small size and just because its fun. A Kobold easily gets a Bite attack, Tail slap and its Gliding Wings will later give access to a Buffet of Wings. I am considering different options for attaining claw attacks.

It is important that he is small because his first class will be Spirit Whisperer and he will take on a Fox familiar. Let's call him Bob. Bob will be our mount and flanking buddy. Because of Bones dear Bob will have the following Spirit Animal qualities:
    Spirit Animal
    The shaman’s spirit animal gives off a ghostly glow and seems nearly transparent. The animal is under the constant effects of blur, with a caster level equal to the shaman’s level.
    Increase his coolness factor AND free permanent Blur on my squishy familiar at level 1? Yes please!

Well, not so squishy actually. Bob will be taking the Mauler archetype. Bob is a bit soft in the head, but strong as all get out.
    Two levels of Eldritch Guardian ensure I can share combat feats with Bob (Weapon Focus: Claw, Outflank, Snapping Flank, Paired Oppertunists, etc).
    Then the rest is all Alchemist. Vivisectionist for Sneak Attack and Homunculist for the ability to give Bob Eidilon-like Evolutions.
    In the total Alchemist progression I can take 4 Evolutions, I'm thinking something like Claws (1) - Limbs (2) Claws (1)
    That way Bob can have 1 bite and 4 claw attacks, and he can hold stuff, wear rings and use gloves like a real boy.

As soon as I can I will take the teamwork feat Gang Up.
    You are adept at using greater numbers against foes.

Prerequisites: Int 13, Combat Expertise.

Benefit: You are considered to be flanking an opponent if at least two of your allies are threatening that opponent, regardless of your actual positioning.

Normal: You must be positioned opposite an ally to flank an opponent.
    And here comes the cheese-plate: At Alchemist level ten I can cast the spell Duplicate Familiar. This will give me two fully decked out combat familiars for the price of one, which should both benefit from the Mutagens I produce every morning!

Slap on some stuff like Greater and Grand mutagen and go to town!

So, what do you say?
    Is it feasible? Anything to change?
    Any suggestions for that last level?

I could use some help figuring out the stats on the Fox familiar, the Mauler description says it grows to Medium size and gets a bonus to Strength because of that. But I can't seem to figure out how much that is?

Also, the Empathic Link I have with Bob will allow me to direct him to attack right? But what about 'charge this guy and try to trip him'?
    Last edited by Atar; 2020-10-19 at 03:31 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Kobold Beastmaster - A vivisectionist natural attacker with two flanking buddies.

If it is PF only and supersedes 3.5 even if it is allowed, that's too bad because 3.5 Kobolds get 2 claws and a bite natively without racial trait swapping.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: Kobold Beastmaster - A vivisectionist natural attacker with two flanking buddies.

Yeah I know and IIRC they didn't used to get such a heavy strength penalty either. Oh well.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

It’s always been a -4.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

As well as Gang Up, you may want to take a look at Improved Outflank. It lets you flank with just one buddy still up, with slightly more limited positioning requirements.