New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default putting an effective spell level to SP/SU abilities

As far as effects like Wish and Miracle that can duplicate spell effects or effects equal in power are concerned, would it be appropriate to have a creature's CR/2 substitute for the spell level since it'd be about as rough as rough can be an estimate?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: putting an effective spell level to SP/SU abilities

DCs tend to have saving throws of 10 + 1/2 hd + Cha or Con mod, while spells have DCs of 10 + spell level + the appropriate ability mod.

So the logical thing would be to compare them and realize that effective spell level equals 1/2 the creature's hd.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2020-10-19 at 04:44 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

You definitely should not set effective spell level to HD, because there is no correlation between HD and power level, let alone between HD and how dangerous any individual SLA is. Half CR is the best you're going to do as a general rule.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

For spell-like abilities, you should just use the equivalent spell. E.g. a 5 HD/CR 8 ogre mage gets cone of cold--that's still a 5th-level spell no matter what, and HD and CR don't enter into it. Don't create a new spell bargain bin, there's enough of that already.

For supernatural abilities, you should probably favour CR over HD for the reasons NigelWalmsley gave, but it's more accurate (and more work) to look at each ability individually. I would definitely not suggest that you can emulate a choker's Quickness as if it is a first-level spell, for instance, or even a third-level spell, even though chokers are only CR 2. I'm assuming here, of course, that Quickness can be emulated in some sensible way without introducing a crapton of homebrew statistics, which is a stretch.
    Last edited by ExLibrisMortis; 2020-10-19 at 05:24 PM.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).
    Doctor Despair's and my all-natural approach to necromancy.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Raishoiken View Post
    As far as effects like Wish and Miracle that can duplicate spell effects or effects equal in power are concerned, would it be appropriate to have a creature's CR/2 substitute for the spell level since it'd be about as rough as rough can be an estimate?
    Sorry, could you elaborate? I simply dont understand the question...
    Quote Originally Posted by chaotic stupid View Post
    tippy's posted, thread's over now

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by ExLibrisMortis View Post
    I would definitely not suggest that you can emulate a choker's Quickness as if it is a first-level spell, for instance, or even a third-level spell, even though chokers are only CR 2. I'm assuming here, of course, that Quickness can be emulated in some sensible way without introducing a crapton of homebrew statistics, which is a stretch.
    On the one hand, yeah, that'd be dumb. On the other hand, you can already do way dumber stuff with Wish. On the gripping hand, you're almost certainly correct to imply that doing that wouldn't actually work in any real sense.