New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: The lightsaber

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Default The lightsaber

Seen on IFL Science

The plasma-powered saber burns at a toasty 2,200°C (4,000°F). Owing to a special nozzle, the plasma shoots out of the handle in an almost-perfect recreation of the Star Wars lightsabers.

Whilst technically a ‘protosaber’ instead of a lightsaber due to it relying on an external power pack and not some tiny infinite energy source within the handle, this feat was the product of four years’ work by the engineers. Earlier attempts heated long tungsten rods to extreme temperatures. However, “the internet is never pleased,” according to the Hacksmith and so they set out to create a version that retracts and extends like the sci-fi originals.

The latest lightsaber features a specialized laminar nozzle that produces a laminar flow (a smooth flow of liquid or gas with little or no mixing) of compressed liquid propane gas. Heated to high temperatures and highly concentrated, the gas becomes a circular beam of glowing plasma that looks like a lightsaber. Whilst the technology is currently used mainly in glass blowing, becoming a lightsaber is the upgrade it certainly deserves.

Slashing through steel, the saber is capable of some impressive feats. However, it isn’t a lightsaber without the characteristic colors to define what side of the force you’re on. Luckily, the Hacksmith have even got that covered. By introducing different salts, the flowing plasma glows with vibrant colors including green, orange, and red. Should you wish to be everyone’s favorite miniature Jedi Yoda, boric acid will burn bright green. Leaning more to the dark side, calcium chloride (commonly known as salt) will give you a red-orange.
    So ... when can I get one? I wonder if it will make it easier to get through the brush on my property than a chainsaw would ?

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The lightsaber

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Seen on IFL Science

So ... when can I get one? I wonder if it will make it easier to get through the brush on my property than a chainsaw would ?

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Neat, figured we'd be able to figure it out. Now, how to get the heat contained...
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

The people who made it also posted a testing video on thursday.

It cut through a steel door, shredded through insulation, cut through a side of meat(and, apparently, cooked it enough to be edible,) was used to cook and then burn a turkey(destroying the barbecue grill,) it melts and shatters tempered glass, and in addition to the steel door they cut through a shield of steel roughly equivocal to what a blast shield would be made of. While they didn't test it continuously, it also seems able to obliterate concrete.

So, it's not gonna be deflecting bullets and it's not gonna clash when two of them swing at each other and, obviously, we just don't have the technology to store enough fuel or energy to generate a plasma blade indefinitely, let along stored in the blade proper, but yeah. We have Lightsabers.

It's actually deceptively simple how it works: It's basically just a giant plasma torch.

Now it's just a matter of making the technology more practical.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Now it's just a matter of making the technology more practical.
    A lightsaber is only “practical” in the films because Jedi can deflect blaster bolts with them. If they couldnt, blasters would be the far more effective weapon.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Chen View Post
    A lightsaber is only “practical” in the films because Jedi can deflect blaster bolts with them. If they couldnt, blasters would be the far more effective weapon.
    Well, if we're going to go hard core science on this, a blaster-deflecting shield or body armor would be more practical than a blaster-deflecting sword. And the blaster deflecting lightsaber only works becuase Jedi Precognition allows them to foresee the bolts and move the blade into position to deflect before they are actually struck. Absent Jedi precognition, soldiers would be far better off taking cover and fighting back with blasters and detonators than trying to deflect a beam weapon with a sword. Even if you can get away with it once, you probably won't be able to deflect all the others incoming at the same time.

There's a reason only Jedi and Sith use lightsabers in the show, and I don't think it's just because they're a status symbol. It's because only a force-user can use the weapon to its full potential; everyone else is better off with a blaster.

I suspect the blaster-deflecting Jedi is based on the Samurai stories of Samurai dodging arrows or deflecting them with their blades. And those are great stories. But in the real world there's a reason the Boshin War wasn't won by Samurai with katana effortlessly dodging the bullets of a modern battlefield, but by the side with gatling guns.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2020-10-20 at 09:41 AM.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Sure, if you don't mind your property (and probably the surrounding few hundred square miles) to look like California a couple weeks ago.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

That's like a lightsaber and a Fallout shishkebab had a baby.

Very cool, but I wouldn't cut through steel without breathing protection. Or explode glass in a t-shirt. Or throw around sand turning into glass while in a t-shirt!

Actually, I'm starting to think that the jedi robes are the monkish equivalent of a blacksmith's leather apron.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chen View Post
    I meant "refine it so that the onboard fuel pack lasts for more than five minutes."
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Yes it would. A burnt down area of brush is usally more easily navigated when all that pesky vegetation exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    Sure, if you don't mind your property (and probably the surrounding few hundred square miles) to look like California a couple weeks ago.
    I see my initial thought wasn't as unique as I imagined when clicking reply.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2020-10-23 at 06:25 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    I see my initial thought wasn't as unique as I imagined when clicking reply.
    Great pyromaniacs minds think alike.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Vinyadan
    Very cool, but I wouldn't cut through steel without breathing protection.
    This was my first thought—together with “Fireproof clothing, please?”

Originally Posted by Vinyadan
    Or explode glass in a t-shirt.
    Seen at 6:14 in the video, this explains how Mace Windu could shatter the entire window in the Chancellor’s office with one slash.