New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Let's hear your silly scenarios that were humorous while still driving the plot!

I have a habit in any given campaign I run. I like to put in silly things that are for fun but still can drive a plot at least to some degree. Here are some examples:

An encounter with two giants, a Firbolg and a Storm Giant. They teamed up with a fighting style which they would leap into the air and stomp opponents from the sky with their massive weight. They were accompanied by a small band of Goblin Bards playing the "brothers' theme music". Obviously Mario and Luigi, but it was a very lethal encounter which led to info on why some giant tribes were acting out of the ordinary.

A halfling village in which many of the NPC's were literally one Rogue who was awesome at Disguise who was prying info from the party one bit at a time for weeks.

Along that same vein, a party of clones of that same Rogue, all using various gear to appear as different classes, using UMD for wands and rods to simulate casters.

Of course I once included the Trid Village. You guys heard this joke? A giant lives on the mountain where there is a village on a plateau. Every day he comes down from the peak and kicks a Trid (imagine a halfling) off the mountain. One day the Cleric of the town confronts the giant...
    Cleric: Why do you kick Trids off the mountain every day?
    Giant: Silly Rabbi, Trids are for kicks!
    Through PC intervention, they turned the giant into a protector of the village, but the groans and eye rolls were worth the investment

A weak, cursed Druid who was a... Say it with me...
    A super calloused fragile mystic, hexed by halitosis

What kind of silly stuff have you DM's included or you players experienced?
    Quote Originally Posted by McMindflayer View Post
    Of course, this still doesn't answer the question... "How does it POOP?"
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFurith View Post
    I roll a swim check on the street. Why not, right? Through a series of rolls I rob a bunch of people of 75g. I didn't actually notice their existence but I swam over there and did it anyway because this guy couldn't make sense if he tried.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Let's hear your silly scenarios that were humorous while still driving the plot!

Two dwarves named Felix and Doli, who were out to get revenge on the dragon who killed their five brothers.

[Yes, of course they had five brothers, but you needed to consider Latin roots to recognize "Felix" and "Doli" as Happy and Grumpy.]

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Let's hear your silly scenarios that were humorous while still driving the plot!

Brady Bunch of the Corn. It's exactly as it sounds. The party first enters a cornfield. They come upon a circular clearing where there is a scarecrow. Examining the scarecrow a PC could be charmed since it's a Scarecrow monster. The party will also be attacked by a Helmed Horror and a Dire Lion. Afterwards and continuing on they encounter an apparently abandoned town. Going into any building they will find dead bodies poised as if alive doing what one normally does in whatever building they are in. All the booze in the tavern is poisoned. Eventually they will hear singing. Outside they are soon met by 6 singing children, three girls with hair of gold - the youngest in curls and three boys. They are all bards, each pre-buffed with another's Inspiration, and attack the party. Off to the side on a building roof is their leader, a Nature cleric named Oliver.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Questgiver: A king whose official title is "The Monarch Formerly Known As Prince"
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2020-10-21 at 01:32 AM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Pex - I'm actually old enough to get that without Google

Bohandus - Lol that one is so bad it's bad, but if you take the time to draw the symbol it would be like, bonus points or something

A blue skinned shoe maker in the village named Barry Cobbler?
    Quote Originally Posted by McMindflayer View Post
    Of course, this still doesn't answer the question... "How does it POOP?"
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFurith View Post
    I roll a swim check on the street. Why not, right? Through a series of rolls I rob a bunch of people of 75g. I didn't actually notice their existence but I swam over there and did it anyway because this guy couldn't make sense if he tried.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I took a party through a particularly labyrinthine dungeon to find a goblin city....
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I've never gotten to use it in play, but the Duchy of Kym was sundered in two by civil war between brothers, becoming two duchies called Old and New Kym respectively. The elder brother rules Old Kym, and has crippled his younger brother's once-mighty martial skills by getting him addicted to the chewable sap of the Bubali tree.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KoDT69 View Post
    Of course I once included the Trid Village. You guys heard this joke? A giant lives on the mountain where there is a village on a plateau. Every day he comes down from the peak and kicks a Trid (imagine a halfling) off the mountain. One day the Cleric of the town confronts the giant...
    Cleric: Why do you kick Trids off the mountain every day?
    Giant: Silly Rabbi, Trids are for kicks!
    Through PC intervention, they turned the giant into a protector of the village, but the groans and eye rolls were worth the investment
    So, in the Shadowrun setting, 3D television is referred to as "trideo" or "trid".

In one game, the street samurai and the physical adept got into an in-character argument about which played better on television in things like Urban Brawl, cyberware or magic, with the physad taking the position that magic was cooler and flashier, and the sammy taking the position that you couldn't actually see most magic in electronic recordings anyway, whereas you could totally see someone getting diced up with cyberclaws or the like.

This ultimately led to the sammy producing the line: "Silly adept, -snikt-s are for trid!"
    Play your character, not your alignment.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

biggrin Re: Let's hear your silly scenarios that were humorous while still driving the plot!

I was DMing a rather lighthearted campaign where the party spent a lot of time in their village.

The party wizard lived next to a crazy neighbour, who was convinced that everything bad that happened to him was because she was cursing him. He was a constant nuisance, putting a circle of salt around her house (which didn't impede her movement but ruined her garden), stealing her spellbook and burning it (it was fireproof), etc.

He became a rather serious threat when stopped-clock syndrome kicked in and he was right about her activities for once. (The party had caused a snowstorm in summer in the process of closing a rift to the Feywild. He blamed her for causing the snowstorm because of course he did.)

He was telling all and sundry the snowstorm was her fault, and he was close to the truth when he described how. If people believed him, their collective belief would reopen the rift. They had to discredit him without pulling a Men in Black, because being crazy, he had prepared contingencies against having his mind wiped.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

In our party we had an Orc Barbarian, a Tiefling Bard, a Human Wizard, and me, the Changeling Druid. The thing is, I was not good at building characters so poor Christine was absolutely useless in combat. The party hacked and slashed its way through enemies and the Bard and Wizard handled most NPCs while Christine handled the money and talking to the people handing out missions.

One day, the party encountered a band of Devils. They were too much for us the Bard was trying to raise the Barbarian. The Wizard desperately using his last spell slots to hold off the Devils. And Christine remembered that she had been an attorney before she was an adventurer.

"Attention Devils! This is a verbal cease and desist order and a formal request to enter arbitration on behalf of my clients!" She cried. Suddenly, combat stopped. The devils began a series of intense negotiations in order to ascertain what actions could and could not be taken in the present circumstances. A contract was negotiated and the devils left promising to return if the terms and conditions were violated. The party began using Christine's legal prowess more often in RP and eventually build a lucrative franchise-based adventuring guild. And that's the story of how my 3rd character turned out to not be completely useless after all.