New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Order of the Stick and Scribe Players

What if the player's behind both the Order of the Stick and The Order of the Scribe were the same group of people?

Which player would be controlling the different characters?

If this were true, I expect maybe the same player had controlled both Serini and Elan due to their shared innocent behavior.

What about the other characters/players?
    My top question a DM should ask:
    "Why?"

So it isn't lost...MitD Turaglas Analysis

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Order of the Stick and Scribe Players

Quote Originally Posted by mashlagoo1982 View Post
    What if the player's behind both the Order of the Stick and The Order of the Scribe were the same group of people?

Which player would be controlling the different characters?

If this were true, I expect maybe the same player had controlled both Serini and Elan due to their shared innocent behavior.

What about the other characters/players?
    What players? (panel 6)
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Serini = Elan
    Soon = Vaarsuvius
    Girard = Haley
    Dorukan = Durkon
    Kraagor = Belkar
    Lirian = Roy

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    What players? (panel 6)
    The ones on the other side of the (alleged) gate.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

5. - Top - End - #5

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    Serini = Elan
    Soon = Vaarsuvius
    Girard = Haley
    Dorukan = Durkon
    Kraagor = Belkar
    Lirian = Roy
    The only one of these that doesn't sit right with me is Soon = Vaarsuvius. I suppose that player could have traded their strict unyielding devotion to honour over friendship for a devotion to magic over personal relations. I suppose I just think V and Soon are too different to be an easy pairing.
    Non caerulea sum, Caerulea nomen meum est.
    Extended Signature.
    I'm not not a humanoid. Come not not be one too.
    Answer trivial questions in the OOTS trivia thread!

she/her

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

IMHO who played Soon now plays Belkar. He wanted to try something a little different this time, you know....
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    New suggestion: the MitD is an Italian Protean. Mamma mia!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Eyyy, I'm-a shiftin' da shapes and-a helping my amico Signore Stiffliano escape! Easyducio! Bada bing!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Lirian -> Durkon (thinks bad guys can be redeemed. The sucker who is always stuck with Cleric Duty, has changed from loving trees to hating them as a subtle way of protest)

Dorukan -> Vaarsuvius (typical powermonger wizard player)

Soon -> Roy (not very tolerant with ideas that haven't originated in his skull)

Giriard -> Haley (resents authority, paranoid about everyone)

Kraagor -> Belkan (likes to just charge in and kill things)

Serini -> Elan (typical player who doesn't takes the game seriously and is always joking)
    Last edited by The Pilgrim; 2020-10-21 at 08:28 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Pilgrim View Post
    Lirian -> Durkon (thinks bad guys can be redeemed. The sucker who is always stuck with Cleric Duty, has changed from loving trees to hating them as a subtle way of protest)

Soon -> Roy (not very tolerant with ideas that haven't originiated in his skull)

Serini -> Elan (typical player who doesn't takes the game seriously and is always joking)
    This is the conclusion I was heading towards as well.

I just couldn't think of why Dorukan would match up to Varrsuvius.
    Because of that I was trying to think if anyone else would match up well with Dorukan, but your reasoning works for me.

I was actually looking at Dorukan > Durkon but that wasn't working out either.
    "Why?"

9. - Top - End - #9

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Caerulea View Post
    The only one of these that doesn't sit right with me is Soon = Vaarsuvius. I suppose that player could have traded their strict unyielding devotion to honour over friendship for a devotion to magic over personal relations. I suppose I just think V and Soon are too different to be an easy pairing.
    "Vaarsuvius" is basically Soon's player's "take that" against Dorukan's player.
    Last edited by Precure; 2020-10-21 at 08:28 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

I do like the idea of players wanting to be something wildly different. That matches up with real life pretty well: many of my players will go from being the frontline stoic badass to the plucky and disruptive diminutive wizard in the back -- I wouldn't necessarily expect each player to make a 2nd character that fills the same niche as their last one.

For example, it's possible Soon's player was tired of being the "party leader," and Roy's player wanted to pick up the mantle in this second campaign. I've seen that happen in real life campaigns too.

11. - Top - End - #11

BlueWizardGirl

So 'annoying magic obsessed wizard' but even moreso, let's see how you like it. I like the reasoning.
    Non caerulea sum, Caerulea nomen meum est.
    Extended Signature.
    I'm not not a humanoid. Come not not be one too.
    Answer trivial questions in the OOTS trivia thread!

she/her

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Soon -> Roy (not very tolerant with ideas that haven't originated in his skull)

Yep, particularly the bolded part. A lot of players don't really change much between campaigns, though some do.
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

13. - Top - End - #13

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Caerulea View Post
    So 'annoying magic obsessed wizard' but even moreso, let's see how you like it. I like the reasoning.
    In the same vein, "Durkon" is Dorukan's player's own idea of how to play a strictly Lawful Good character.
    Last edited by Precure; 2020-10-21 at 10:37 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'll toss in Girhard -> Roy. They have completely different personalities and playstyles, yes, but the actual nitty-gritty of their creation are sort of similar. Both are characters whose respective alignments run through every single part of their behaviour, instead of, say, a general guideline. Both exhibit a loud distaste for any alternative playstyles, and aren't afraid to make that known. Loudly. Both also share a distaste for all-encompassing authority - the gods and general desposts in Roy's case, and literally anyone he thinks is trying to hold him down in Girhard's case. You could even make the argument that they both explore the concept of family, though Girhard's family is more of a post-game development than Roy's inciting incident of Eric's death. Perhaps the Greenhilts are an exploration of a family pushed to the breaking point from outside events in contrast to the Draketooth's tight-knit band out in the desert, hidden from the world? The answer is that there's no connection at all and I'm absolutely making this up as I go along, but it's fun to theorise.

I can easily imagine the sort of person who created Girhard Draketooth sitting down at the table for the new campaign's session zero and, when asked what their new character is (aka the ol' reliable please please please don't say you're playing another MAD chaotic edgy dual-wielding dude please for the love of god) bringing out the most straight-laced lawful nerd in the universe. Until Durkon's player introduces their fun new character, of course.
    I draw, and I write sometimes! Drow paladin avatar by me. They/Them

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deltamire View Post
    I can easily imagine the sort of person who created Girhard Draketooth sitting down at the table for the new campaign's session zero and, when asked what their new character is (aka the ol' reliable please please please don't say you're playing another MAD chaotic edgy dual-wielding dude please for the love of god) bringing out the most straight-laced lawful nerd in the universe. Until Durkon's player introduces their fun new character, of course.
    In real life, that player would more likely have made a warlock.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

This is the conclusion I was heading towards as well.

I just couldn't think of why Dorukan would match up to Varrsuvius.
    Because of that I was trying to think if anyone else would match up well with Dorukan, but your reasoning works for me.

I was actually looking at Dorukan > Durkon but that wasn't working out either.
    Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Yep, particularly the bolded part. A lot of players don't really change much between campaigns, though some do.
    Yep. Players can change the race, alignment, attributes and class of their characters, but their style at the table remains consistent.

Powerplayers almost invariably play wizards and have prepared complicated builds ready for becoming living gods.

Players who assume the responsibility for leadership and force their agenda on the rest of the group tend to do so in every game.

Players who are distrustful of everyone on the table, be PCs or NPCs run by the DM (and, usually, not without reason), remain the same.

The one interested in just roll the dice and kil things, not minding much if his prey are PCs or NPCs, remains being the character everyone in the table avoids to cross in his path.

The player who plays casual and for fun making metajokes and quoting Monty Python remains consistent between games.

And the sucker who gets stuck with picking the role that no one else wants to play, is always the same.
    Last edited by The Pilgrim; 2020-10-21 at 01:34 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: Order of the Stick and Scribe Players

Serini = Elan
    Soon = Vaarsuvius
    Girard = Haley
    Dorukan = Durkon
    Kraagor = Belkar
    Lirian = Roy
    My take

Lirian =Vaarsuvius she played with bacterial weapons to shut down caster. So opposite comes into play, druids are some form of neutral.

Soon= Roy both lawful both single. One by choice, the other by death. Roy is mixed up in this because of a death.

The rest are on point
    9 wisdom true neutral cleric you know you want me in your adventuring party

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Yep. Players can change the race, alignment, attributes and class of their characters, but their style at the table remains consistent.

Powerplayers almost invariably play wizards and have prepared complicated builds ready for becoming living gods.

Players who assume the responsibility for leadership and force their agenda on the rest of the group tend to do so in every game.

Players who are distrustful of everyone on the table, be PCs or NPCs run by the DM (and, usually, not without reason), remain the same.

The one interested in just roll the dice and kil things, not minding much if his prey are PCs or NPCs, remains being the character everyone in the table avoids to cross in his path.

The player who plays casual and for fun making metajokes and quoting Monty Python remains consistent between games.

And the sucker who gets stuck with picking the role that no one else wants to play, is always the same.
    From my experience this is sadly on point.
    If I do get to play, I'm often the sucker.

I would prefer the following progression for reasons other posters have stated above.
    I don't think this is what would happen.

Giriard > Durkon or Roy (as a response to how Soon was played)

Soon > Vaarsuvius or Haley (as a response to how Giriard was played)

Serini -> Elan (let them have their fun)

Kraagor > any caster (to try something new)

Dorukan > any non-caster (to try something new)

Lirian > Belkan (explore redemption character arc from other angle)
    "Why?"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

From my experience this is sadly on point.
    If I do get to play, I'm often the sucker.
    I have chosen to be, and embraced, 'the sucker' role in this edition in more games than not, since I tend to play this game with an eye to party success, not personal success. I get my kicks filling the missing capability gap and trying to increase team synergy.
    Here is an almost verbatim discussion between me and the DM (and two of the five other players) before our session 0/1.

Me: has everyone picked a character? (I still did not have PHB, I had only free basic rules Player and DM at that point. Deliver of PHB happened about a week later).
    DM: Yes, what would you like to play?
    Me: What's missing? What has everyone else picked?
    My Brother: We have a wizard, a rogue, a bard, a paladin, a barbarian.
    Me: I'll play cleric.
    DM: I wasn't going to mention it, but the party was lacking a cleric or druid.

And so KorvinStarmast, Life Cleric, was born (nobody had played this edition yet. Summer/early fall of 2014)
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-10-21 at 02:10 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Hahah, I used to be too the guy who plays the Cleric, and I enjoyed it. Until I got fed up with that, and in one game...

- The Bloodthirster: I'll play a barbarian (as usual)
    - The Loony: I'll play a rogue (as usual)
    - The PowerPlayer: I'll play a drow wizard (as usual)
    - Me: I'll play a Bard

Everybody stares at me.

- DM: But... but... who will be the cleric?
    - Me: We are playing 3rd Ed. Bards can heal now, and doesn't need to prepare spells.
    - DM: Oh... okay... we can try that.

Of course, I knew it woudn't work. The DM soon attatched an NPC cleric to the party to act as healbot. It worked pretty well, and from that point on, the DM would use attatched NPCs to cover for gaps in the party composition.

And this is the story of how I broke free.
    Last edited by The Pilgrim; 2020-10-21 at 02:50 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    I have chosen to be, and embraced, 'the sucker' role in this edition in more games than not, since I tend to play this game with an eye to party success, not personal success. I get my kicks filling the missing capability gap and trying to increase team synergy.
    Here is an almost verbatim discussion between me and the DM (and two of the five other players) before our session 0/1.

Me: has everyone picked a character? (I still did not have PHB, I had only free basic rules Player and DM at that point. Deliver of PHB happened about a week later).
    DM: Yes, what would you like to play?
    Me: What's missing? What has everyone else picked?
    My Brother: We have a wizard, a rogue, a bard, a paladin, a barbarian.
    Me: I'll play cleric.
    DM: I wasn't going to mention it, but the party was lacking a cleric or druid.

And so KorvinStarmast, Life Cleric, was born (nobody had played this edition yet. Summer/early fall of 2014)
    Ha! It's always Cleric or Druid.

In all the groups I have played, everyone except one other player thought those were weak classes.
    I give props to that one player, he avoided those classes because he knew they were powerful and wanted a challenge.

I have tried to convince the other doubters through demonstration... it just doesn't take.
    "Why?"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

I'll agree, both on the count of players generally wanting to try something new after finishing a campaign, but largely retaining their play style regardless of character.

Also, I'm kind of a fan of Dorukan->Elan and Lirian->Haley or vice versa, as it'd be funny if a hypothetical IRL couple always ended up coupling up their characters. I'll leave it out of my following considerations, though.

So:

Serini-> Elan, for same reasons others stated

Girard -> Haley: caster to non-caster, but retaining general paranoia, chaotic inclination, independence, and strong focus on family.

Dorukan->V: The power-player generally remains a power-player, and I don't see any other member of the party fitting that bill.

The other three are less clear, at least to me; I'll go with what seems interesting/fun. We also lack proper knowledge on Kraagor, which makes fitting someone with him annoying.

Kraagor-> Roy: Kraagor seems to be a stereotypical barb, putting strength above all else and hitting the attack button without speaking up much. Roy - as a fighter - has more or less the same role, but went with an attempt at a more cerebral warrior this time. Spending more time studying and speaking up paid off as he became team leader, yet he's still a stubborn, tough front-liner with a penchant for sacrificing himself.

Lirian-> Durkon: both support players/healers with faith in something greater than themselves, except Durkon's a lot more straightlaced. Rather straightforward, actually.

And my favourite: Soon-> Belkar. After a long campaign of his fellow players complaining about the lawful good stick implanted in his character's hindquarters, he decided to really give them something to complain about . Eventually, he grew bored of this and decided to see what a redemption arc might be like, since he didn't feel like rolling up a new character yet. Both also are, or at least started off as, typical examples of their alignment, warts and all.

Personally, I generally end up as either team Leader, team Dad, or both. I don't have a particular need to play leader, but i'll step up if no-one else will, even if I'd rather not. I'll almost always play the guy working to keep the team together though, trying to shape the group into a team and keeping up the synergy, even if my way of doing so may switch between a gruff fighter drill sergeant, wisecracking bard defusing tension, or serene cleric reminding everyone of our common goals and all the stuff we went through by working together (dramatic gesticulations included).

I do prefer playing to a competent team leader though, so I guess I'd be Durkon in this game Mostly because not being team leader usually means more room to engage in personal shenanigans, which are always fun.

EDIT: right-hand may be a bad description for Durkon though; something vaguely advisor-shaped, perhaps?
    Last edited by Taevyr; 2020-10-21 at 03:30 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

I have tried to convince the other doubters through demonstration... it just doesn't take.
    I recently retired a cleric (different campaign) and inserted a Celestial Warlock.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Putting aside the fact we know these characters don't have players for the sake of 'what if'!
    Player relationships can play a part in deducing this. Generally, best friends will 'pair off' and RP often together. Negative character relationships may be RP, but is also often indicative of players who aren't getting along well.

In the very early strips, there seemed to be a close working relationship between Roy/Durkon, and Haley/V.
    There was a bit of a rift between Roy/Elan.

From the other group, we know that at the end of the campaign there was a rift between Girard/Soon - and a close relationship between Dorukon/Lirian.

Taking this for granted and lining things up gives us;

Dorukon/Lirian = V/Haley
    Soon/Girard = Roy/Elan

Which leaves us with Kraagor/Serini for Belkar/Durkon.

This gives us kind of a nice line-up of;
    Dorukon=V, player interested in spell lists and good friends with...
    Lirian=Haley, generally friendly player trying something new - who is also interested in RP for relationships
    Soon=Roy, player who takes the lead role, and at the end of campaign 1 / start of campaign 2 had a rocky relationship with...
    Girard=Elan, player who's there to have fun - and also has no issue with flirty/relationship RP
    Kraagor=Belkar, player primarily interested in fighting
    Serini=Durkon, player who is friendly with everybody but tends to sit on the sidelines and support other players' decisions (e.g. Serini has no gate)
    Last edited by Oppolo; 2020-10-22 at 06:16 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oppolo View Post
    (e.g. Serini has no gate)
    I think she does, though, since "Kraagor's Gate" is a tribute by Serini. He's not alive to develop the gate's defenses, she is. I think it's Serini's Gate.

What gate?