New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kobold

Default How op would letting wildshape use monstrosities instead of beast

So I was thinking about a sci-fi fantasy campaign and was thinking about how creatures would look different on other planets. So wildshape cr doesn't get to high so would it be to op too swap out beast for monstrosities

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: How op would letting wildshape use monstrosities instead of beast

For balance reasons I wouldn’t do it for a PC but it was fun for an arch villain anti-druid

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Throne12 View Post
    So I was thinking about a sci-fi fantasy campaign and was thinking about how creatures would look different on other planets. So wildshape cr doesn't get to high so would it be to op too swap out beast for monstrosities
    Look at the various monstrosities. Note any special abilities they have.

In terms of raw damage and defense? Unlikely to be an issue-5E has decent enough CR.
    It's special abilities that you might want to be worried about.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Look at the various monstrosities. Note any special abilities they have.

In terms of raw damage and defense? Unlikely to be an issue-5E has decent enough CR.
    It's special abilities that you might want to be worried about.
    Not only abilities, but sheer variety. Beasts are pretty-much carbon-copies. Monstrosities are hugely varying. And some have languages and hands.

This opens up the same MM-diving exploits that made polymorph-sub-school spells so broken in 3e.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    Not only abilities, but sheer variety. Beasts are pretty-much carbon-copies. Monstrosities are hugely varying. And some have languages and hands.

This opens up the same MM-diving exploits that made polymorph-sub-school spells so broken in 3e.
    Excellent point.

Perhaps, OP, you should make a small list of monstrosities to be added to the list? Players can add to the list, but only with your approval.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6

Kobold

There special abilities dont seem all to game breaking considering how strong your spells and other monsters you'll be fighting too your wildshape cr. The moon Druid would get the most bang for there buck. But again the cr is lower then what they will be fighting. Also special abilities give wildshape more versatile while they are in wildshape. So it just not I claw/bite/peck/ect them.

Thats not much of a problem because wotc had there beast list SA. When they had groups of beast based off there environment bio. So someone can just do that too with monstrosities.
    Last edited by Throne12; 2020-10-20 at 05:19 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Rust Monster might be an issue potentially.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Short answer - It would be a significant power bump. One that Druids don't really need as a full-caster.

Long answer - Monstrosities as a type have the sometimes very significant benefit of being one of the 'grab-bag' categories of monsters (alongside abberations) and so having a large amount of variety. As a Druid PC, monstrosities add a fair bit of cognitive load, and add a huge amount of versatility to wild shape at the cost of some of the infiltration potential of animal forms.

Consider, for example, the humble cockatrice. At CR 1/2, it is available to any druid of level 4 or higher, providing the ability to petrify on an attack. A rust monster, at the same CR, can easily destroy and entire armory in moments. At the higher CRs available to a Moon Druid, things get even more wild.

The most compelling argument against it, though, is, is that are no 1/4 CR or lower monstrosities, so you can't use the feature for the first two levels you have it. That's a good sign that the feature is built around constraints that are mostly inapplicable if you make the swap.
    All advice given with the caveat that you know your group better than I do. If that wasn't true, you'd be getting advice face-to-face. So I generalize.

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    are you asking us to do research into a setting you wrote yourself?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hellpyre View Post
    Consider, for example, the humble cockatrice. At CR 1/2, it is available to any druid of level 4 or higher, providing the ability to petrify on an attack. A rust monster, at the same CR, can easily destroy and entire armory in moments. At the higher CRs available to a Moon Druid, things get even more wild.
    Cockatrice is 8+ since it has a fly speed, but it's still pretty scary with the petrify.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I'd recommend against it.
    I have generally recommended against it

Monstrosities can inflict conditions (cockatrice petrify creatures, death dogs can inflict the poisoned condition) that can really swing a fight in favor of a party .
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-10-20 at 06:03 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    Cockatrice is 8+ since it has a fly speed, but it's still pretty scary with the petrify.
    I forgot that it actually had a flight speed, to tell the truth. I was thinking it was a non-functional wings type thing. Just goes to show that I should have flipped to the actual monster page to double check.
    All advice given with the caveat that you know your group better than I do. If that wasn't true, you'd be getting advice face-to-face. So I generalize.

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    are you asking us to do research into a setting you wrote yourself?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I agree with the concerns of the above posters. But if you want it for the flavor, you could still do it by just taking out the special ability for each one. No petrification, no rust, no harpy song. It looks like without those, they are balanced with beasts. Using that guideline, you could add aberrations too.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

What about creating a homebrew Feat that allows, say, three specific forms? You could put CR and other restrictions on it just like the standard Wild Shape does. This would let you play with a few more powerful forms without opening the entire can of purple worms.