New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default WFRP 2.0 The Haunting IC

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Wanted to get something up for you. Setting the scene a bit and pausing for your input. Dojango mentioned Jasmine wanting to go up to knock so I will let you post about that. If you all could do a little post about what your characters thoughts are. Out of Character Thread

The air was cold and damp as the evening fell around the sleepy village of Swartzhafen. The sun had set long ago with Mannslieb shining full and bright now risen about 45 degrees through the sky. *SLAM* the last shutter on a nearby house was closed and barred against the night. The streets were near barren save for a few brave souls out on their own dire personal matters for tonight is Hexensnacht and Morrslieb was rising. Morrslieb shown cold and full against the dark horizon rising slowly above the tree line. Unnatural wisps of mist settled over the village and obscured vision. The homes of Swartzhafen lined both sides of the street. All with their doors and windows shuttered. A small dirt path led from the street past two homes up to a hill. Atop the hill shrouded in mist was a large stone structure. Miss Jasmine Featherblossom, Journeyman Composting Technician, checked her list and shrugged this place was definitely not partaking in the Featherblossom services. Also on the street was a man well acquainted with the strange and bizarre Helmut Kreisler had heard legends concerning the local area and mysterious going on occurring on Hexensnacht. He walked the street this mysterious night to fulfill his destiny as one chosen by Sigmar to fight the forces of Chaos in whatever form they might appear. He wondered if that form might be the two dwarves who he noticed also out on the street at this time.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: WFRP 2.0 The Haunting IC

Jasmine whistled a merry tune as she led her mule and cart out of town. The good people of Schwartzhaven had been about their business all day, and the fruits of their labor was now heaped high on her cart. She'd let the maggots loose on the pile, and they were busy starting the process of turning that into the high-quality compost that made the Featherblossom clan so famous. It was a good night. Sure, the tall folk were hiding out of their weird superstitions, but they were always a little screwy sometimes. Came from being so tall. Not enough blood going to the head, or something. Jasmine stopped for a moment and peered through the mists. That house on the hill... she hadn't visited them. And if they weren't customers, well, the Featherblossom clan could be very convincing. Jasmine turned the mule onto the path and headed up the hill. Pickles, her dog, looked puzzled for a moment, and then followed her. Once at the house, she picked her club up from the cart and gave the door a few sharp raps with it. Time to make her pitch.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Varnya is tired. She had come a long way today and the lack of accommodation from the manlings here was frustrating. Of course she could have stayed in the Inn in the previous town another night, but the unpleasantness there had made that difficult. Still, the man shouldn't ought to have said what he said.

She's not exactly scared at being out on Hexensnacht. The humans generally weren't a problem and she had her hammer for anything more dangerous that she might meet out in the wilds. But then again only a fool would be blase about travelling alone this close to Sylvania. And according to her Master, Hexensnacht itself was supposed to be one of those times when even a Dwarf had to be careful. Something about convergences wasn't it?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Magnar was cursing the humans who put their cities, villages and inns on a day's travel, but a human day's travel. The longshanks didn't seem to know or care that some people had slightly shorter legs and needed a bit more time to cover a certain distance. He could do so, as dwarves generally had the stamina to keep going when humans had to stop, but he disliked arriving after dark. In cities it was less of an issue, but convincing innkeepers to open up after dark was not always easy. He had lived with humans for all his life and he knew about Hexensnacht. While dwarves didn't share that particular superstition, nights when Morrslieb was full were not nights to be out too long after dark. The advantage was that it was easier to see with both moons up. Further up he noticed another dwarf, so he picked up his pace. Hopefully she knew something about this town.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Goblin

"And you... you will all regret impeding the purshuit of Shigmar'sh holy jushtish!"

Helmut Kreisler roared at the slammed door of the tavern he had recently been preaching in. Didn't they know that there were witches in their midst? He had been concerned enough to offer his services as one of Sigmar's ordained witch hunters, and they hadn't even been grateful enough to cover the cost of one measly drink.

...Maybe five.

Staggering back to his feet, he brushed himself down, adjusted his prized hat and continued down the road. In this misbegotten part of Sigmar's Empire, there was bound to be something horrific lurking for him to vanquish. Something that would make them take him seriously. Something that would make his mentor proud. Hiccupping, he began to belt out his latest sermon.

"Repent! For the Lord Shigmar sheesh all!"

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Jasmine hears no response to her banging on the front door. The house is eerily silent in response before there is creaking of some ancient timber settling further in place. Pickles sat on her hind haunches looking back between Jasmine and the door before turning her head quickly to the side and with a snarl she takes off running to the left and around the corner of the house.

Varnya notices a fellow dwarf approaching quickly from behind. The male was clothed in leather armor and had an axe at his hip and crossbow peaking out from behind his back.

Both dwarves heard the slam of a tavern door and a slurring of Reikspiel. Repent for the Lord Sigmar sheesh all! they see a man with a tattered cloak preaching back at the tavern door closed and barred against him.

Unfortunately The Notched Hatchet Tavern was the only Inn in this small place and it seemed to have had barred its doors for the night after pushing out the riff-raff.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Good evening," Magnar said in Dwarven to Varnya, "I think the inn just closed up. Do you perchance know another?"

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morovir View Post
    "Repent! For the Lord Shigmar sheesh all!"
    'Aye, I'm sure he does.' Varnya calls out cheerfully to the human who clearly couldn't hold his beer.

Another Dwarf was a welcome sight. The umgi weren't always trustworthy but you could usually rely on a Dwarf as an ally if they had any honour at all. <'Was just about to ask you that.'> she'll reply in kind. <'I'm just passing through myself. I don't expect there's another town worthy of the name before the mountains.'> She'll introduce herself, <'With any luck someone's had the good sense to build another Inn further up the road. I don't think asking nicely to be let in here will be enough somehow.'>

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"I doubt it," Magnar said, before also introducing himself. He felt himself lucky to have met a runesmith.
    "I think our options are either stay out, or if we're lucky find a house that's unoccupied and sleep there. Let's see if there is still someone out except our drunk friend over there."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

<'Can't walk all the way to Zhufbar.'> Varnya agrees. She'll look for the most obviously unoccupied looking house.<'Under the circumstances, I think I'm ok with not asking permission first, but I don't want some aggrieved Umgi family coming down in the middle of the night to wake me up either.'>

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"All houses that are inhabited are locked," Magnar said, "you know humans and their supersticions. So if there is one that's unlocked, it will be uninhabited. Or there lives a vampire or something like that who doesn't care, in which case we're screwed."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Hey! Hey! They ain't paid us yet! Don't go killin' any rats yet!" shouts Jasmine. She quickly sets the brake on the cart and makes sure the mule is hobbled. Then she chases after the dog around the corner. Never provide service until the contract is signed. The dog hadn't learned that yet, but that was the first lesson every Featherblossom learned.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

As the two dwarves hold their brief conversation over the silence of the town they can hear a small voice cry out. "Hey! Hey! They ain't paid us yet! Don't go killin' any rats yet!" It sounded like it came from a house up a small clearing from the main street. The manor house resting on top of a small hill was visible through wispy curls of fog. No light shown from any of its windows and no smoke blew from its chimney at the top.

As Jasmine rounded the building she could see Pickles digging at the corner of wooden cellar door. The dog was making considerable progress in widening the gap between cellar lid and ground. Clearly excited to be on the hunt again Pickles ignores her calls and continues digging. The small dog squirms itself hindlegs wriggling to and fro' underneath the cellar door with a sharp snarl just as Jasmine arrives within arms reach.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by farothel View Post
    " Or there lives a vampire or something like that who doesn't care, in which case we're screwed."
    Varnya pats the pommel of her hammer,'<Lets deal with that when we have to.>' She'll set out towards the manor house. '<Might as well try the big one first. Maybe they've got nicer beds.>'

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Magnar heard a woman's voice shout.
    "Sounds like a local ratcatcher," he said to Varnya, "they will know what's going on in the town and where we might stay. Let's go ask her."
    Unless there was serious opposition, he would head towards the voice.

"Excuse me, miss," he asked in Reikspiel this time, "we just arrived in town and the local inn is already closed. Do you know perchance a location where we might stay for the night?"

16. - Top - End - #16

Goblin

Bleary eyes falling upon the two stout figures, Helmut turns in their direction, and begins making his way over to them.

"Dwarfsh! Loyal friendsh of Shigmar and the Empire! The Order of the Shilver Hammer callsh upon you!Will you lend me your bladesh in vanquishing the evil that shurrounds this town?"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Come back! Heel!" But it was too late. Jasmine looked at the cellar door. It wouldn't be too hard to pry it open, just put her shovel in the gap and get the dog... she looked around and saw several shapes looming out of the mist. She put the shovel down and pretended that she hadn't been about to break in. "Oh hey! This uh, ain't your house, then? Uh, a place to sleep? Gee, I reckon you could ask this lot. If'n they're home. If not, uh, maybe once I'm done my rounds you can crash in my nan's house."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morovir View Post
    "Dwarfsh! Loyal friendsh of Shigmar and the Empire! The Order of the Shilver Hammer callsh upon you!Will you lend me your bladesh in vanquishing the evil that shurrounds this town?"
    It was hard to take the human seriously when he sounded like that but Varnya plays along. 'You need me to hit something?'

The Halfling's offer was at least something, 'Only if your Grandmother is willing. If she's anything like mine she'll be grouchy if she's bothered at this hour.' Varnya will point to the cellar, 'You lose anything?'

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Oh, we don't haveta wake her. She's always happy to see new faces, ya know? New gossip, new people to listen to her gossip... but I gotta get my dog first. He musta smelt a rat and crawled inside the basement here. Can't have him goin' around a stranger's house killin' rats yah?"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Magnar shook his head at the zealot. He had seen these guys before. The best way was to avoid them but here that seemed quite impossible at the moment.
    "We'll see about that tomorrow," he said, "now I would prefer some peace and quiet and some sleep. And well, maybe a meal and a good tankard of ale."

Then he looked at the house they were standing next to.
    "I doubt there is someone home," he said, "between all the racket outside and the barking of the dog inside, someone should have at least turned on some light to have a look. But it looks still dark inside."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

The two dwarves and halfling look down at the cellar door between them and Pickles. The dog's snarls can be heard from within. The seem to be getting fainter. The wooden door is angled about fifteen degrees from the horizontal and it rests upon neatly piled stone. There is a small crack between the corner of the door and stone where the door rotted away a bit. There is no light from this crack or any of the three story house windows. There is a large iron ring mounted on the right hand side of the door about halfway up. Underneath the ring is iron lock mechanism.

As these three travelers are inspecting the cellar. A more than half in his cups man approaches pontificating about the wonders of Sigmar and the evils of this very town that need to be punished.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Right, it's settled, then. Just help me fetch the dog and we'll go over to me nan's. She usually has some food set out for the late-shift. Reckon you can have some." Jasmine takes the shovel and inserts it into the crack in the cellar doors. Pulling on it with all her strength, she cracks the door open.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d100)[26] v. 55

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

'Probably some rich human who has more houses then they know what to do with. I expect they'll never know we were in here.' Varnya will go into the cellar and whistle to attract the dog's attention.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Haha yeah, those tall boys like their houses. And stuff. They ain't listenen to the old halfling saying, 'from each accordin' to their ability, to each accordin' to their needs. Seems like good advice, I reckon." Jasmine grabs her pack and heads down the stairs after the dog and the dwarf. "Here, boy! C'mon back! You ready for some meat pie!"

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Sounds like a plan," Mangar grumbles as he too enters the cellar. Then he sticks his head back out.
    "Hey, you, manling," he shouts to the Sigmarite who was wandering around, "you going to stay out all night? There might be a bed in this house if you behave."

26. - Top - End - #26

Goblin

"Bed?! There'sh no time to shleep when the enemiesh of Shigmar are afoot!"

Nevertheless, Helmut follows them in, sword drawn.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Isn't that a bit overkill to retrieve a dog who went after a rat," Magnar asked, seeing the sword, before turning to Jasmine, "Ah miss, what does the dog looks like? We can help searching, but a description would be useful."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Bout yay high," says Jasmine, hand below her knee. "Black and brown. Answers to Pickles if he feels like it."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

The cellar's musty smell tickled the nostrils as the group of four descends into the dark cellarway. Sounds of Pickles snarling and her nails clattering against the stone floor came from ahead. The group continued forward losing what light the double full moon night sky provided. Looking back toward the cellar door several leaves are seen billowing past the wind outside seemed to be picking up. An eerily low pitched moan-like sound is faintly audible within the cellar. The four found themselves staring into the darkness unable to discern where Pickles might be at.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Varnya shrugs, 'I like dogs. Besides, it'll be quicker to go in and get him then wait for him to finish chasing rats.' Having been born in the Empire Varnya has never been underground let alone in one of the great Dwarf holds, but she has firm ideas about what a Dwarf ought to be able to handle. Ignoring the sound of the moaning wind, she'll move ahead of the others and try to judge from the differences in the darkness if there was anything in the way. It wouldn't look good to be tripping over some old manling furniture in front of the others.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Perception vs. Int 42 (-30 Very Hard)
    (1d100)[81]