New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default [PF1E] Couple questions regarding building a magus

Hey all, I recently joined a PF1E campaign and decided I would play a magus. I've been doing a lot of research on how to build one and I've stumbled across a couple things I'd like to ask about.

1. Why specifically shocking grasp? I've heard a lot of sources say it's one of, if not the best damage spell for a magus and I would like to know what makes it so good.

2. I stumbled across a build guide that recommends the feat dervish dance so that I can viably use a scimitar, but why would I use a scimitar over a rapier when they have the same stats?

This is all I have to ask at the moment, any input is appreciated!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [PF1E] Couple questions regarding building a magus

Here you go, it's the Magus Guide.

(1) it is available from level 1, gives +3 to hit against many enemies, and it easily goes up to 10d6 damage (Intensify Spell feat); there's just not a lot of touch spells in the game that deal more damage than that.

(2) if your Magus prioritizes strength, then it doesn't matter. If you prioritize dexterity and you want to deal good damage, then you either need an Agile weapon or that feat (and the latter is available several levels earlier, but it only works with scimitars).

Now this is absolutely not the only way, the best way, or the only viable way to play a Magus. But yes, the most common way to play a Magus is to grab a scimitar, that dervish feat, and cast shocking grasp each turn every turn. If you want other suggestions, check the guide above.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!