New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default I'm playing 3.5 for the first time since I was in high school, how do I break the gam

How do I break the DM's game? I remember some builds from back in the day, but I can't find them? like I remember a dungeon crasher build that was OP as hell, and of course Warlocks are naturally busted, as well as Pun Pun. Help finding these builds would be cool, or any other T1 builds y'all know of! (:

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: I'm playing 3.5 for the first time since I was in high school, how do I break the

I'd recommend not breaking the game for your DM unless they're on board :p

Typically, builds based on "tier 1" casters are strongest; out of the PHB classes, that means clerics, druids, and especially wizards.

For a player who is relatively new to the system, Druid 20 is very strong and very versatile. Check out eggynack's handbook for info on how to optimize and play it :)

If you want specific builds, it would be helpful to know what sort of playstyle you want. I know it seems specific when you ask for builds that break the game, but 3.5 has so many of those that you really so have to get more specific to get useful replies.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggynack View Post
    What I care about here, though, is that the highest standard of pedantry is upheld.
    Know-It-All
    Long Arm of the Law
    Phantom of the Opera
    Arthropods, the Bane of Giants
    Horselord
    Mother Cyst of Invention
    Rule #15: a hero is only as good as his weapon!
    Master of Disguise

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Re: I'm playing 3.5 for the first time since I was in high school, how do I break the

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Despair View Post
    I'd recommend not breaking the game for your DM unless they're on board :p

Typically, builds based on "tier 1" casters are strongest; out of the PHB classes, that means clerics, druids, and especially wizards.

For a player who is relatively new to the system, Druid 20 is very strong and very versatile. Check out eggynack's handbook for info on how to optimize and play it :)

If you want specific builds, it would be helpful to know what sort of playstyle you want. I know it seems specific when you ask for builds that break the game, but 3.5 has so many of those that you really so have to get more specific to get useful replies.
    I'm down for any build really. I just want to see what people recommended really.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I, personally, favour the Wizard. Treantmonk does a good guide.
    "There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    ~ Ernest Hemingway

2021 2022 2023 2024

Dwarf Magus (Deep Marshal) spell list

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by aglondier View Post
    I, personally, favour the Wizard. Treantmonk does a good guide.
    Link? Can't seem to find the guide

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LunarMystik View Post
    How do I break the DM's game?
    Could you explain this a bit more?

What I want to say is... I don't condone this, but that would not be an entirely honest statement.

It's usually petty or childish, but... ok, sometimes it happens. Sometimes it's amusing to post about it afterwards. But it's not fair to those individuals who are involved in the game and making a good-faith effort to have fun.

If the DM and/or other players are on board with this sort of thing and have consented to doing this as a one-off or for laughs, then that's probably the best environment to do this sort of thing.

I remember some builds from back in the day, but I can't find them?
    You asked for information. Here's a link.

Famous Optimized Character Builds.

like I remember a dungeon crasher build that was OP as hell
    Was it Flaming Homer? That's the only build I can recall that made extensive use of Dungeon Crasher.

and of course Warlocks are naturally busted
    Do you mean Hellfire Warlock with Naberius or Strongheart Vest? Direct damage exploits against a DM who can bring in an infinite number of creatures with an infinite number of HPs might not be as game-breaking as you might think.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Don’t break the game (Intentionally) unless it’s a hypothetical on the forums.

Identify what you want out of D&D, then (assuming D&D is the right thing for providing it) we can help guide you towards the character outline that will best serve those desires.
    If all rules are suggestions what happens when I pass the save?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

I'm down for any build really. I just want to see what people recommended really.
    How broken do you want ?

It really would help if you narrowed the question a little. Many people on this forum have 10+ broken builds on their favorite list.

Excluding Pun-Pun type shenanigans, a build optimizes a gimmick. The player needs to choose an method of play. Do you want to summon monsters? Raise undead? Melee at 32 ft tall? Shoot lasers from space?

I built a tripper this summer that's 72 ft tall, and channels spells through his reach weapon out to 65 ft (i think). At 12th level he turns enemies into trees, with no save or resistance. Oh, and cast arcane+divine to 8/9.

This month i was looking at ways to push the action economy, by pushing multiple spells per round. It takes a lot of metamagic, of course.