New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default (D20M/D&D 3.5) Modern Military vs D&D Play Thread, Match 1.

This is the gameplay thread for the recruitment thread found at https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7#post24765507

The participants are Edreyn(modern combat squad) vs Palanan(Team Faerun). Once both participants are ready, I'll roll up weather, area, and starting distance.

OOC thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...8#post24785778
    Recruitment thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...ary-vs-D-amp-D
    Last edited by Tyndmyr; 2020-11-03 at 07:42 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: (D20M/D&D 3.5) Modern Military vs D&D Play Thread, Match 1.

Terrain Type: (1d6)[6]
    1. Urban.
    2. Forest.
    3. Grassland.
    4. Cavern.
    5. Desert.
    6. Arctic.

Weather: (1d6)[5]
    1. Sunny and clear.
    2. Partially cloudy.
    3. Overcast.
    4. Occasional precipitation.
    5. Constant, light precipitation.
    6. Heavy downpour.

Approximate time of day: Early Afternoon

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Both parties, roll initiative.

Edreyn(modern combat squad):
    Spoiler
    Show

Snow drifts lightly around you, somewhat obscuring long range view(-2 to spot checks), and slowly filling in the tracks you leave in the crunchy, solid layer of snow on the ground as you pass. The weather is cool, but in the afternoon weather, not unbearable. There has not been a great deal of wildlife, though you have seen occasional small creatures. The landscape is dotted with craggy rocks and twisted, windblown trees, their banches bowed under heavy loads of snow. Occasional drifts appear near large terrain features, appearing difficult to navigate.

Command isn't certain what threat lies here, but you have been advised of the disappearance of a previous patrol and to be wary of possible dangers. Rules of Engagement are accordingly at your discretion.

(please specify squad layout of folks for your starting position)

Palanan(Team Faerun):
    Spoiler
    Show

Snow drifts lightly around you, somewhat obscuring long range view(-2 to spot checks), and slowly filling in the tracks you leave in the crunchy, solid layer of snow on the ground as you pass. The weather is cool, but in the afternoon weather, not unbearable. There has not been a great deal of wildlife, though you have seen occasional small creatures. The landscape is dotted with craggy rocks and twisted, windblown trees, their banches bowed under heavy loads of snow. Occasional drifts appear near large terrain features, appearing difficult to navigate.

You encountered an arctic hare about five minutes ago, which described a team of five men dressed in snow trudging along in this general direction. They are described as carrying black sticks, and the hare quickly bounded away from them. You've heard that the last time a patrol came this way, there was a bloody fight of some sort, and the Captain in charge has made it clear that bodies are a perfectly acceptable thing to bring back as evidence, if you so choose.

(please specify squad layout of folks for your starting position)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Initiative for Team Faerûn:

Spoiler
    Show
    Jevicca: (1d20+1)[17]
    Mott: (1d20+5)[10]
    Foerth: (1d20+7)[22]
    Wentu: (1d20+7)[23]
    Il Rob: (1d20+1)[17]

Disposition of Team Faerûn:

Spoiler
    Show
    Wentu is already in wild shape, flying as a snowy owl at approximately 400’ altitude, about 200’ ahead of the others. Wentu already has Barkskin cast on himself, raising his AC to 19, and it’ll be DM’s discretion as to whether being a snowy owl in a light snowfall grants any camouflage benefit. If he can’t see anything clearly from 400’, he’ll glide in a broad curve down to about 200’ altitude.

On the snowy ground, Foerth and his yzobu companion are taking point, fifty feet ahead of the others and an equal distance to their left. (This is necessary because of the yzobu’s stench ability, and Foerth is never companionable to begin with.) Foerth has already cast Longstrider on himself, and has an arrow nocked and ready. Since forests are his favored terrain, he is applying his +2 favored terrain bonus to his Initiative and Perception checks.

Il Rob is fifty feet behind Foerth and fifty feet to Foerth’s right; as the heaviest of the group, Il Rob is making a path through the snow for the benefit of Jevicca and Mott. They are walking side-by-side, ten feet behind Il Rob. Mott is carrying Jevicca’s crossbow and five of her tanglebolts, and Jevicca has already accepted a potion of invisibility from Wentu before he went aloft. Mott has already cast Shield on himself, raising his AC to 23, and he has a tanglebolt in Jevicca’s loaded crossbow.

Jevicca’s animal companion, the roc Arundel, is on the ground ten feet behind her, waddling along at the same speed as Jevicca and Il Rob (20 ft.). By necessity Mott is walking slowly at the same pace, while Foerth is moving at the same pace out of caution.

All five of them (plus two animal companions) have senses alert for any motion or sound.

Perception:

Jevicca: (1d20+1)[18]
    Mott: (1d20+8)[25]
    Foerth: (1d20+11)[20]
    Wentu: (1d20+13)[19]
    Il Rob: (1d20+1)[2]
    Yzobu: (1d20+13)[28]
    Arundel: (1d20+5)[9]

Terrain Questions:

Spoiler
    Show
    How large are the craggy rocks, and how tall and dense are the snowbound trees?

Also, how deep is the snow?

Addendum:

Spoiler
    Show
    Prearranged Signals:

If Wentu sees something but doesn’t feel he’s been seen, he will give several low hoots, which will tell the others to proceed with stealth. If Wentu is under attack, he’ll give a high shriek, which will tell the others to prepare for immediate combat.

For his part, if Foerth sees something, he’ll give a low thrumming in imitation of a grouse, indicating the others should come by stealth. If he’s engaged, “You’ll know it when you hear my bowstring.”
    Last edited by Palanan; 2020-10-22 at 05:23 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Initiative for invaders:

Spoiler
    Show

Scope: (1d20+3)[16]
    Spider: (1d20+2)[8]
    Len: (1d20+1)[14]
    Maddog: (1d20+2)[3]
    Conrad: (1d20+3)[7]

Disposition:

Spoiler
    Show

Not fully sure what goes here, but if I understand correctly:

Scope tries to find a tree suitable for using as "nest". The position should be as high as possible, but still allowing to reach it and sit there without too much problem. If she can start already after climbing there, she does it.
    Spider and Len start below her, but not exactly under the tree, but about 10 feet from the tree, at opposite sides (2 squares from tree). They start entrenched\prepare to entrench by digging underneath.
    Conrad tries to find "chokepoints" at the vicinity, identify places which grant most easy access to position of the squad. Starts at one of those places, not less then 30 feet, not more then 60, the one closest to the starting tree. He sets one of Semtex landmines\prepares to do it.
    Maddog is near Conrad, guarding him.

Roleplaying briefing:

Spoiler
    Show

Len gives final orders.

So, boys and girls we are finally here. Remember what the commander said - one of our scout teams was already lost. We don't know what to expect, so here's what we do: if we see anyone armed, no matter with what, or a creature that looks dangerous, we attack on sight. Only after we deal with everyone who can be dangerous, we can search from someone still alive to take him prisoner.

Closed question to the DM:
    Spoiler
    Show
    How will Semtex charges work at the end?
    As proximity mines that explode when stepping on them?
    Or I can use detonator to trigger them from a far? Will I need detcord in this case?

Best for me, if they can be detonated from a far, each on his own, with radio signal, without needing to tie them with detcord.

If you wish, you can drop the detcord and assume standard detonators are available on each block of semtex, and have both weapons.
    Yeah, let's go for it.

Another closed question to the DM:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Are trees leafless or evergreen?

Will we get a map?
    Last edited by Edreyn; 2020-10-23 at 09:56 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Responding to rest later, but for now, here's the map.

Edit: Map updated for larger, uniformly black font.

Not sure if the image is just not showing on my computer, or if there's a forum restriction on them, so here's the direct link as well: Arctic Map

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Tyndmyr; 2020-10-27 at 03:35 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, thanks for the map. On the top row, I'm not able to see most of the white-text numbers between 1 and 30, so it's a little difficult to work out which row is which on the left side of the map. This might be a little challenging if we're receiving coordinates, i.e. "bogey at C22," etc.

8. - Top - End - #8

BardGuy

Okay, thanks for the map. On the top row, I'm not able to see most of the white-text numbers between 1 and 30, so it's a little difficult to work out which row is which on the left side of the map. This might be a little challenging if we're receiving coordinates, i.e. "bogey at C22," etc.
    Same here. Maybe you can make labels full black and bold, maybe with larger font?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Edreyn View Post
    Same here. Maybe you can make labels full black and bold, maybe with larger font?
    Yeah, I can play with the font settings. I started out with white, but ended up swapping for visibility part way through.

For the purpose of clarity, the water counts as level terrain, as it is frozen sufficiently that a man can definitely walk on it with no difficulty, though detonations of fireballs or explosives may cause it to be less walkable.

Answers to questions:
    Palanin:
    Spoiler
    Show

Your top four characters in init order act first. You can of course delay initiative if desired.

Starting position for lead character: FF4, comng from left side of map(other characters accordingly distant)

The owl gets a +2 camoflage bonus in addition to the +2 circumstance bonus from snow.

The rocks vary in height, reaching approximately 20 feet high at the peaks, and sloping to approximately ten feet high near the edges.
    The trees reach a height of approximately 40 feet, and while the trees are evergreen, and thus still provide some cover, they are spread apart.
    The snow is approximately two feet deep of old, hardened snow that is quite solid, with a dusting of fresh snow over the top. This does not hinder walking, but tracks do remain for a while before the snow fills them in.

Edreyn
    Spoiler
    Show

Palanin has top init and is starting off.

If you wish, you can preroll spot/etc checks for each character, which I'll use to note when you first become aware of each other.

Starting position for lead character: M50, coming from right side of map(other characters accordingly distant at your discretion)

How will Semtex charges work at the end? You can set a timer as a standard action(or set and throw as a full round action) specifying when it will detonate. This can range from "at end of round" to "at end of round, twenty rounds from now" in one round increments. When the time elapses, you get a blast(I need to double check the specific blast radius, but I believe it was substantial) You can also attempt to use it in other fashions, such as trip-wires or pressure plates, which will function as traps. Specify the square the explosives are in, as well as where the trip-line is, if one is used. This will be treated similarly to a trap, with spot/disable device checks being allowed if noticed. You can also manually trip the trip-line yourself, allowing remote detonation, though the placing character will have to secure the explosives in place for trip lines to work. There's no need to secure the trip line yourself if you want to just trigger it by tugging remotely.

Note that using a full block of Semtex on a tree is guaranteed to result in the absence of a tree.

The rocks vary in height, reaching approximately 20 feet high at the peaks, and sloping to approximately ten feet high near the edges.
    The trees reach a height of approximately 40 feet, and while the trees are evergreen, and thus still provide some cover, they are spread apart.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Questions for Tyndmyr:

Spoiler
    Show
    Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
    Your top four characters in init order act first. You can of course delay initiative if desired.

Starting position for lead character: FF4, comng from left side of map(other characters accordingly distant)
    Okay, with Wentu flying at FF4, approx. 400', does his Perception check of 17 show him anything? (Perception = Spot check, and the 17 takes into account the -2 from the light snowfall.)

Also, are we starting a combat round? Just to be certain that we're in Round 1.

For the purpose of clarity, the water counts as level terrain, as it is frozen sufficiently that a man can definitely walk on it with no difficulty....
    So, on the battlemap, there seems to be a roughly diamond-shaped ring of frozen water around the central rock outcropping.

I know that in practical terms, you've mirrored the original map to create a larger space, but is there anything unusual in-game about the frozen water or the outcropping?

11. - Top - End - #11

BardGuy

From me:

Spoiler
    Show

What I do: All characters are using Spot and Listen until notice someone.

Questions:
    1) Are those lines at the sides of the central island actually bridges?
    2) Can flamethrower melt the ice? And what about 40mm grenades\frag grenades\semtex charges?
    3) Do I know\can guess how deep it the water under the ice?
    4) Still don't fully understand about semtex. Can I place them under the snow, then detonate from a far, for example?
    5) Please give exact cells where chars are.

Update with another question:
    Spoiler
    Show

I still didn't add action points to charsheets. I just can't understand how they are calculated. Should I take the sum like with BAB and saves?

Action Points: Fast heroes gain a number of action points equal to 5 + one-half their character level, rounded down, at 1st level and every time they attain a new level in this class.
    Action Points: 6 + one-half character level, rounded down, every time the infiltrator attains a new level in this class.
    So, for example: if Scope is Fast 3\Infiltrator 2 it should be:
    (5+1) + (6+1) =13

Or only the highest one which is 7?

Or it's added EVERY level:

(5 + 0) + (5+1) + (5+1) + (6+0) + (6+1) = 29?

I think that it's 13, but want to make sure.

Last edited by Edreyn; 2020-10-27 at 10:37 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Rules questions for the DM:

Spoiler
    Show
    If Wentu is invisible, and he casts Summon Nature’s Ally, does this count as an attack for the purpose of ending the invisibility effect?

Also, since casting SNA is a full-round action, do you rule that the animal appears at the end of that turn (and thus can act in the same turn the spell is cast) or the beginning of the caster’s next turn?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Palanan
    Spoiler
    Show

>Okay, with Wentu flying at FF4, approx. 400', does his Perception check of 17 show him anything? (Perception = Spot check, and the 17 takes into account the -2 from the light snowfall.)
    No enemies visible as of yet, though Wentu does have a pretty good view of the terrain.

>Also, are we starting a combat round? Just to be certain that we're in Round 1.
    That's correct, just gonna keep it in combat rounds the entire time for clarity.

>If Wentu is invisible, and he casts Summon NatureÂ’s Ally, does this count as an attack for the purpose of ending the invisibility effect?
    Summoning does not count as an attack. The summoned creature, however, is not invisible.

>Also, since casting SNA is a full-round action, do you rule that the animal appears at the end of that turn (and thus can act in the same turn the spell is cast) or the beginning of the casterÂ’s next turn?[
    Beginning of the caster's next turn.

Nothing in particular appears off about the water, it merely appears to be a frozen pond that is fairly shallow. There is probably room for a person under the ice in the frigid water if work was put into it, but that would be very dangerous.

Edreyn
    Spoiler
    Show

>1) Are those lines at the sides of the central island actually bridges?
    Negative, just natural terrain, though you can walk on the frozen water just fine.
    >2) Can flamethrower melt the ice? And what about 40mm grenades\frag grenades\semtex charges?
    Most certainly. A round spent melting ice will get approximately an inch(there may be specific hardness rules that you are also welcome to look up, but this is a decent approximation)
    Grenades used on the ice will generally create a hole on the 5ft square that they are detonated on.
    Semtex charges will create a significantly larger hole.
    3) Do I know\can guess how deep it the water under the ice?
    Eyeballing from the size of the area, you estimate maybe five feet of water beneath the ice, though it would be cold and likely harmful to swim in for any length of time.
    4) Still don't fully understand about semtex. Can I place them under the snow, then detonate from a far, for example?
    Certainly! You can assume detonation from within a range of fifty feet if used in that manner.

Locations: Your lead character is on M50, with the remainder of the party nearby(to the right of this point within perhaps ten squares or so), distributed as you wish. Any of the trees are large enough to climb, and have limbs large enough to support you if you choose to snipe from there. Is that sufficient?

>I still didn't add action points to charsheets. I just can't understand how they are calculated. Should I take the sum like with BAB and saves?
    It's a cumulative total, added every level. This can be quite a few, yes. Your last example appears accurate.
    Last edited by Tyndmyr; 2020-10-28 at 03:39 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Continuing:

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, the remaining members of the group will have their senses on alert, especially Foerth and his yzobu. Here’s their Perception rolls from a little earlier, adjusted for the light snow:

Jevicca: [16]
    Mott: [23]
    Foerth: [18]
    Il Rob: [0]
    Yzobu: [26]
    Arundel: [7]

15. - Top - End - #15

BardGuy

Can\Should I write where chars are positioned exactly?

Except this, I guess I am now waiting for my move?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Would it be feasible for the three of us to work out a time when we can all be online together?

That way we would be able to move at a more engaging pace. Right now it's been a week since we rolled initiative and we're still somewhere in the first round. I know everyone has work, life, etc., but I would personally find it more fun if we could be online together and interact closer to realtime.

17. - Top - End - #17

BardGuy

What are your time zones? Mine is GMT +2, current time is 15:31.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Tyndmyr and I are both in the same time zone, currently 9:37 am.

19. - Top - End - #19

BardGuy

Well, I can post almost any time, except when sleeping, no problem to post from work.
    I think it's Tyndmyr the one who has problems with posting.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

I would say "constraints" rather than "problems," but posting has certainly been more delayed than I was hoping for.

I'll send him an email and see what we can do.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    I would say "constraints" rather than "problems," but posting has certainly been more delayed than I was hoping for.

I'll send him an email and see what we can do.
    Mon, Tue, and Thurs after work(home by about 6-7 EST most days) would work. As of right now, we're waiting on Palanan's first actions, as he had highest initiative.
    Last edited by Tyndmyr; 2020-10-30 at 03:00 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Mon, Tue, and Thurs after work(home by about 6-7 EST most days) would work.
    I can be available any of these times next week, though that might be on the late side for Edreyn.

As of right now, we're waiting on Palanan's first actions, as he had highest initiative.
    I posted these a couple of days ago, but I’ll recopy them here.

Spoiler
    Show
    Wentu is flying approx. 200’ ahead of the rest of the group, and I’d asked earlier:

Okay, with Wentu flying at FF4, approx. 400', does his Perception check of 17 show him anything? (Perception = Spot check, and the 17 takes into account the -2 from the light snowfall.)
    DM responded:

No enemies visible as of yet, though Wentu does have a pretty good view of the terrain.
    So, I’m assuming that’s Wentu’s turn, unless there’s something else he can do, or something else he notices.

As for the others, since they're 200’ to the west of Wentu, I’m assuming all they can do is keep moving after him in the formation I described earlier (thus moving east) while keeping their eyes and ears on full alert.

From Wednesday:

Okay, the remaining members of the group will have their senses on alert, especially Foerth and his yzobu. Here’s their Perception rolls from a little earlier, adjusted for the light snow:

Jevicca: [16]
    Mott: [23]
    Foerth: [18]
    Il Rob: [0]
    Yzobu: [26]
    Arundel: [7]

23. - Top - End - #23

BardGuy

Can we go on, or you are waiting for something from me now?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, thank you, I had taken that as merely a statement of their current position, not their actual move. Can I get grid coordinates for their final positions?

In any case, Edreyn:
    Spoiler
    Show

Scope and Len are up in the initiative order, go for it!

I'll be available tonight or tomorrow night if ya'll do want to get online at the same time and burn through it. Discord or something if that's easy.

25. - Top - End - #25

BardGuy

Because of slow speed I still haven't fully understood everything, but let's try.

Can join discord channel or any other chat, just link.

Spoiler
    Show
    Scope: Since I don't know what tree is she using M45 or P48: she finds the tree allowing the highest possible location where she can sit. If she is already there, she stays there, but continues to use Spot and Listen until notices someone. Sitting.

Len: Move to K47. Entrench = dig underneath to hide in snow, about one feet deep. Lying prone.
    Last edited by Edreyn; 2020-11-02 at 12:34 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

I'll be available tonight or tomorrow night if ya'll do want to get online at the same time and burn through it.
    I can be online at 6 pm our time tonight, but it'll have to be here on the Playground rather than Discord.

Spoiler
    Show
    As for coordinates, I'll need to work out Wentu's flight curve and see where he ends up.

However, the rest of the party are 200' to the west, which means they're way off the left edge of the map. I can try to work up a simple side map and send it to you over email by this evening.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

I won't be free until nearly seven EST, but I'll see if we can't burn through a fair bit then.

Edreyn:
    Spoiler
    Show

Your discretion on which of those trees it is, either is available.

Palanin:
    Spoiler
    Show

Your init for your final character. Map is totally fine, or an estimate a -(whatever number). You can assume unobstructed travel to the map for the sake of convenience.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure what you mean about initiative, but here's the list of characters by initiative:

Wentu: [23]
    Foerth: [22]
    Il Rob: [17]
    Jevicca:[17]
    Mott: [10]

Usually when I have two or more characters tied for initiative, I have them roll percentile and then rank them according to the percentile results. I can do that for Il Rob and Jevicca, or I can just have them go in alphabetical order (i.e. Il Rob and Jevicca).

UPDATE:

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm having trouble working with the main map, but I'm estimating that Wentu will end up around square X19. He's on a slanting descent, starting from approx. 400' and gently gliding down amid the snowfall to approx. 200'.

Also, sending you something over email now.
    Last edited by Palanan; 2020-11-02 at 06:49 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Palanan:
    Spoiler
    Show

Apologies, I meant it was your init for the final char, Mott.

As for which of your characters go first on the same initiative, it's up to you. They're on the same team, so either could hold action to go after the other in any case. There are no ties between the opposing teams.
    Map looks good for understanding relative positioning, nothing spotted as of yet.

Eredryn:
    Spoiler
    Show

Feel free to make any moves for the remainder of your team for the first round of init.
    Last edited by Tyndmyr; 2020-11-02 at 07:04 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, thanks. Are we waiting on Edreyn now?