New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default I'n trying to build a good tank; advice needed.

Hey all. My group is going to start a new game, and I've opted to switch gears a bit and play a tank.

The rest of the party is a wizard, a ranged rogue, and a lore bard.

27 point buy, starting level 1, probably going to 7. Official stuff only.

I can't decide what path might be the best one for me. I always play spellcasters, so maybe an EK is a good idea. A barbarian makes a great tank too, and a paladin would give me some spells to play with. Some kind of polearm master could really keep enemies away from my squishy friends.

I'm really not sure where to go here and I look forward to your responses. Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

MonkGirl

Default Re: I'n trying to build a good tank; advice needed.

My preferred tank options are Cavalier, Ancestral Guardian, Oath of Conquest, or Oath of Crowns... but there are several options out there. Spore Druid, Forge Cleric... even Battlesmith are reasonable options built the right way.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator

Hill Dwarf Tempest or Forge Cleric 14 Str, 12 Dex, 16 Con, 8 Int, 16 Wis, 8 Cha

Wear Plate and use a shield. Carry a Warhammer/Mace, but you're not going to use it much.

Take Warcaster and max Wis.

Done.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Klorox View Post
    Hey all. My group is going to start a new game, and I've opted to switch gears a bit and play a tank.

I can't decide what path might be the best one for me. I always play spellcasters, so maybe an EK is a good idea. A barbarian makes a great tank too, and a paladin would give me some spells to play with. Some kind of polearm master could really keep enemies away from my squishy friends.

I'm really not sure where to go here and I look forward to your responses. Thanks!
    Hmm, levels 1-7? I'm going to recommend Moon Druid here. Those levels are a pretty sweet spot for Moon Druids, except for level 1.

Level 1: awful. Stay at range and shoot a crossbow. At least you've got 20 HP worth of healing from Goodberry, or you can spend those spell slots on Faerie Fire or something, but this is your weakest level, so you might want to cope with it by playing a variant human and taking a feat (e.g. Mobile) or another race that will give you something fun to do early on (Goblin, Eberron Shifter, etc.).

Level 2: Wildshape! Now you are the best tank in the party with 70-90ish free HP that replenish on a short rest, so potentially hundreds of free HP per day. There are plenty of animals like grizzly bears that you can turn into to do big damage as well as tank. BTW, if you can get a friendly wizard to Mage Armor you that can really help your AC even more.

Level 3: Now you can drop a big pseudo-Fireball like Spike Growth in the same round you shift into bear/hyena form (although it prevents you from attacking until next round). Or you can sneak the party into places they shouldn't be using Pass Without Trace, or use it to scout out the enemy without them realizing you are there (and then you can either set up an ambush or at least know what you're dealing with before starting the fight).

Level 4: Now you can wildshape into a Giant Octopus, assuming you have ever seen one. It's sort of like getting a built-in Sentinel attack that also gives allies advantage on their attacks and imposes disadvantage on the enemy. Spend your ASI on something to help your concentration while you're getting whacked: Warcaster or Resilient (Con). At 8th level you'll take whichever one you didn't take just now, unless you already took it as your first level Human feat instead of taking Mobile.

Level 5: Now you can be a bear or a dire wolf leading a whole pack of smaller bears or wolves, or giant poisonous snakes. This is why you want good concentration, so that your pack can last as long as your HP do.

Level 6: Even better animal forms, like CR 2 Giant Constrictor Snake for more HP, better movement, better damage than the Giant Octopus.

Level 7: Polymorph lets you turn yourself or someone else into a Giant Ape with 157 free HP. If there's a squishy Lore Bard or something in the party, turn them into a tank and then yourself into a snake (or a Giant Elk, or Giant Spitting Lizard, or whatever other good animals you've met and which go well with your feats). See https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...uid-Guide-(5e) for more suggestions.

One additional possibility is to mix in some Barbarian to go with your Wildshape, but if you're only going up to level 7 that might not be fun because you'd only get to Ancestor Barb 5/Moon Druid 2, or alternatively Barbarian 2/Moon Druid 5. Still, think it over, see if you like the idea.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

A barbarian is a very good tank chassis. Halved damage from weapons is powerful. A half-orc may be a cliche choice, but the ability to not go down to a lethal blow is pretty amazing.

Ancestral guardian archetype gives you an aura that makes attacking anybody but you have disadvantage, which is also good for tanking. Alternatively, totem warrior taking bear at third level is able to resist anything but psychic damage, practically doubling your hit points. Sentinel, as a feat, makes it hard to escape you and makes attacking other than you riskier.

Fighter going eldritch Knight could use mirror image to protect himself, and again, sentinel is a good choice. Pole arm master is easier to get with fighter, too: more feats.

Fighter going Echo Knight, if that archetype is allowed, can tank in two places at a time!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Favorite Tank I ever made was a Barbarian / Rogue.

Expertise Athletics + Advantage Athletics and a free hand lets you grapple most anything that your size allows. You get solid OA's. You can max con as sneak attack is primary damage source and you get reckless attack advantage. Rogue gives you the mobility so enemies can't run from you, or run by you.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Lots of solid advice above.
    I'll just repeat a core bit of advice I've been given in the past: survivability is only half the build, stickiness is the rest.
    You mentioned polearm master, so you've probably got a basic idea already, so this might end up as more for the benefit of other readers than yourself, so feel free to skip over if you're familiar with the song and dance.

Stickiness is to do will making sure the enemies keep their attention stuck on you, by either being a thing that's too punishing to ignore, or they are just unable to escape from you. For most melee builds this tends to revolve around polearm master and sentinel to lock opponents down with opportunity attacks, but any other class feature that imposes disadvantage on attacking your allies or some way to negate (even if just in part) the damage they do to others around you can help draw attention of them and back to you.
    Last edited by Zhorn; 2020-10-23 at 02:54 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Hot take here, especially from me, but I'd avoid Paladin if your campaign will be ending at level 7. Paladins are durable and can heal, but until levels 6/7 don't actually have a lot of developed abilities to tank. You would be ending the campaign right around the time your innate durability starts to be a helpful thing for other people.

Moon Druid, as Max mentioned, is obviously a good choice. You're not just more durable than all the other classes but you're a meaningful threat that they can't ignore.

Totem Barb is always a good option, but for your party composition I think Ancestral Guardian would be a better fit. Ancestral Protectors is a good way for you to protect a backline while staying in the front.

I know I'm not really treading any new ground with these suggestions, but sometimes it helps to have reaffirmation.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

A crown paladin could work decently here, that is if you dont mind using the dodge action a lot (especially if you dont end up multiclassing). Their channel divinity offers a decent touch of control, which works well with not having other allies that will want to get caught up in melee. Shield of faith and bless will be you early game go-to options for the most part (though I'd keep both thunderous and wrathful smite prepared), but you wont always want to use them (cause concentration can easily be lost when you are tanking for 4, which is what happens if the plan goes well anyway). You could choose to dip at caster (hexblade and sorcerer being the obvious options; for a 1 lvl dip hexblade is clearly the strongeer option) after you get warcaster. This will help you deal with tanking more easily while also boosting your OA's (though shield and BB OA use your reaction, so you'll need to be careful about how you'll choose to spend them; ideally keep your 1st lvl slots and your reactions for shield for when your CD is doing good work, and fall back to OA's for when it doesn't). GFB is also a good dpr boost for characters who find themselves alone in the frontline. After that you can go with paladin levels so that you'll grab extra attack (nova boost mainly) and the aura (protect your saves), or you could go with more caster levels yet (in which case I think sorc starts looking better than hexblade) for access to metamagic and 2nd level spells (notably blur for a good AC boost; but I'd probably keep something like burning hands available). Best that the caster level gives you however, is access to a ranged cantrip, which means that if you can start encouners at a distance, you get to contribure too at weakening the enemies, so that's more times your allies will be threteaned less at melee range, and less pressure you'll face when you actually start tanking. Weak spot. Your party is still very vulnerable against ranged enemies (as the rogue wont get his sneak attack unless he gets help here from the sibclass). But having a ranged cantrip helps with dealing this unfavorable situation in a better way than if you were just hurling javelins. (You could always choose to go the other way around this, that is by opting for a small race with a medium sized mount; but this will probably take some levels to become a reliable solution, as you need to wait for 6 or maybe even 7 levels before getting the mount and boosting your defenses at the same time.)
    Hacks!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

If you’re going from level 1 to 6 you probably want an ancestral barb, cavalier fighter or maybe an artificer if you want to get funky. Make sure to pick a race that bolsters saves that would otherwise debilitate you, like gnome.

You could go for a paladin but they tend to come online a little later comparatively so you probably would get less milage.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

11. - Top - End - #11

There are lots of valid options, most mentioned above.

Protection from the masses with conquest Paladin or a Heavily armored cleric running spirit guardians will work well. The conquest Paladin offers more powerful control but with more foes who will save or ignore it.

But... you’ve already got a wizard and a lore bard, both of whom are able to select a lot of decent spells to control the masses with save dependent lock down.

If your party members are going to select a reasonable selection of control options, your party will likely have that capacity covered... if not see above.

Now, a Paladin in the ranks is still great, because that save bonus is really hard to turn down, so sentinel/PAM Paladin builds are well worth considering... However I believe the king of locking down one or two hard targets in a way that doesn’t require a failed save is a mix of ancestral guardian barbarian and echo knight.

You need sentinel to make this work, but you end up with a very durable character who can effectively “tank” from range, where possible from behind cover (yes really!) using sentinel to lock down a target from your echo’s position, and inflicting ancestral protectors to functionally make your wizard as robust as a tank... at least against one (probably, though not necessarily the one you locked down).

This build also gives you substantial personal durability that isn’t totally dependent on your own armor. You are often raging, and can maintain rage at a distance from your foe, invalidating a lot of dangerous melee attacks. You will often be able to lurk behind a door, an armchair or a low wall, providing a substantial additional AC bonus. As such, booting around in a breastplate is quite a valid option. The rest of your party could be stealthy, and this is an excellent tank option that doesn’t have to clank. Sometimes the best way to protect the party is to pick your fights or at least control where and when they happen. Stealth can let you do that!

That said these are all good options. Pick one you like and it’ll probably work out.
    Last edited by Spiritchaser; 2020-10-23 at 05:54 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

There's nothing like Moon Druid on this level range. It's just not even a competition. It's also a versatile tank that can switch between kiting and melee easily enough, which is important in an otherwise ranged party; this allows negating enemy actions entirely in encounters with immobile melee enemies. And it's also a caster while at it. After level 1, Moon Druid completely takes over in melee and especially if you're the lone tank, it's just a superb class to work with.

I echo Max's suggestion of a Vuman; a couple of interesting feats exist, most notably the mentioned Mobile (immensely powerful on e.g. Deinonychus form) and Magic Initiate: Wizard (for Mage Armor and all sorts of goodies), but also the usual Concentration enhancers in Res: Con/Warcaster (Res: Con generally since you don't care about the other bits of Warcaster while wildshaping) and even Sentinel (good feat and probably works in Wildshape and does a good job if you're the lone tank, though it especially picks up once you get Summons though that delves into the "melee weapon attack" issue territory).
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

13. - Top - End - #13

If you have a rough idea of what the rest of your party is going to look like it's a lot easier to narrow down your options. The cavalier for example can be an absolute monster and a melee heavy party but is less effective if the fighter is the only good target to start with.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

The key to a good tank is keeping the attention of the enemies. This means reducing their movement speed, imposing Disadvantage on attack rolls VS anyone but you, things like that.

Ancestral Guardian is pretty good at it, but it only works while raging. You need to make sure you have ways to keep your Rage going. Ask your DM about punching yourself in the face between rounds if need be. I wish that were a joke.

Cavalier Fighter is very, very good at it. The features regarding mounted combat are mostly optional.

Paladins are pretty decent, with IMO Conquest being the best among them since they can reduce an enemies speed so nobody gets by them.

Other routes to go include Polearm Master (typically a Glaive) paired with Sentinel; Extended reach and the ability to reduce enemy speed to zero means you've got a 10' radius around you to prevent enemies from getting by. There's also spells like Compelled Duel to really get a foes attention.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

I'm a huge fan of Cavalier, especially with mounted combatant. At this level range that, to me, means you should probably take variant human so you have Mounted Combatant from the beginning. Since the Cavalier abilities depend on things being within 5 ft of you, being on a large mount (depending somewhat on DM interpretation) gives you more squares to make folks be within 5 ft. of you, and the auto advantage on medium and smaller creatures is really nice.

Progression wise I'd take PAM at 4 (or swap it around with Mounted Combatant, both are valid) but I'd use a quarterstaff/spear with a shield since all of your abilities trigger off of being within 5 ft of an enemy. You're here for the bonus action attack and the increased opportunity attack options.

Take a STR boost at 6 and you make a very good tank, and Warding Manuever at 7 makes a great tanking "capstone" for this campaign.

If you're going to be in a place where a large sized mount seems really non-viable (it's fewer places than you think, even squeezing through medium spaces horses have really good movement speed) you can drop Mounted Combatant. This opens up taking another feat like Sentinel. NORMALLY I'd never tell a Cavalier to take Sentinel since they basically get it for free at 10, but you're never getting there so it can work here. And it makes it more likely you'll get in that AOO and get to use Unwavering Mark which is your tanking bread and butter. OR you could go Mountain Dwarf and get yourself an 18 in Str and Con at 4 or 6 (with the other ASI being PAM.)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

Goblin

Here are a couple more ideas. They may not be the optimal tank, but should work well with the above group.

Option 1: Goliath Fighter

Between Stone's Endurance and Second Wind, you have great survivability at lower levels that resets on a short rest. You can go down the Cavalier route, or pretty much any other fighter subclass. Your goal is to be an imposing figure on the battlefield and attract attention that way.

Option 2: Variant Human Ranger - Spear and Shield

1st Level: Ranger
    • Str: 16
    • Dex: 14
    • Con: 14
    • Int: 10
    • Wis: 12
    • Cha: 8

Variant Human Feat: Polearm Master

2nd Level: Take Dueling Fighting Style

3rd Level: Take Hunter Archetype
    If your DM usually sends fewer, tougher monsters, take Colossus Slayer, if he swarms enemies, take Horde Breaker. Colossus Slayer can also trigger off of your opportunity attack if they are below max HP.

4th Level: ASI/Feat, take Mobility
    You can now close, attack, retreat 5 feat (without provoking an attack), provoking an attack from PAM if they close. You also can effectively rush in to the enemies back ranks without taking opportunity attacks (you just need to swing at the opponents you go by). Being in the back ranks increases your threat level and will draw more attention to you.

5th Level: Extra Attack

6th Level: You can either continue as Ranger, or Multiclass out. If you are planning on multiclassing out, you will need to drop your INT to 9 and raise WIS to 13 at character creation. Life Cleric is something to consider, you get heavy armor and become a very efficient healer (you get 40HP of healing from a single casting of Goodberry, this is the probably the most efficient healing for a 1st level spell).

7th Level: Bump something, Ranger or another class, if you went straight Ranger, take Multi-attack Defense

These are not the most optimized tanks, but can be fun to play and still fulfill the role.

-pr4wn

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I can't decide what path might be the best one for me. I always play spellcasters, so maybe an EK is a good idea.
    I found that EK is not a fighter/spellcaster mix, in that it doesn't give good utility casting. It mostly uses magic to boost its fighting abilities. I'm not saying that's good or bad, just be aware that it may or may not work as you expect.

Your ranged rogue will be good at staying out of of harm's way, but that increases the number of attacks coming a the rest of the party. So you'll need to spend extra effort to keep the wizard and bard alive. For a martial, this will generally be a mix of stickiness and damage dealing.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Samayu View Post
    I found that EK is not a fighter/spellcaster mix, in that it doesn't give good utility casting. It mostly uses magic to boost its fighting abilities. I'm not saying that's good or bad, just be aware that it may or may not work as you expect.
    Yeah, EKs use magic for

(1) tanking/durability (Shield, Absorb Elements, Darkness + Alert feat),
    (2) harming enemies that need magical weapons and/or boosting DPR (Magic Weapon, Shadow Blade),
    (3) mobility (Misty Step, Expeditious Retreat, and/or the 15th level Arcane Charge ability to teleport before or after you Action Surge),
    (4) enhancing grappling (Enlarge),
    (5) summoning meatshields (Animate Dead),
    (6) control or crowd control (Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Fireball, Fear).

#1 and some #6 can be done via abjuration/evocation spells, but options #2-5 mostly require your free-school picks, of which you only have 4 at 20th level, so you have to choose what to specialize in.

Fundamentally EKs are fantastic tanks who are never left without a good magic weapon. It's a very Fightery role, just one that uses magic. If you want to be more like a classic Fighter/Mage you should play a Bladesinger or a multiclassed Fighter/Wizard (e.g. Battlemaster 11/Diviner 9).

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    The key to a good tank is keeping the attention of the enemies. This means reducing their movement speed, imposing Disadvantage on attack rolls VS anyone but you, things like that.
    Paladins are pretty decent, with IMO Conquest being the best among them since they can reduce an enemies speed so nobody gets by them.
    Normally, yes. But that's at higher levels (7+). Considering this is a Level 1-7 campaign, I'd actually recommend Ancients over Conquest for keeping enemies locked down. They have two options starting at Level 3 to impose the Restrained condition: Channel Divinity Nature's Wrath and the Ensnaring Strike spell. Restrained creatures have a speed of zero so they can't get away to attack your allies, their attacks have Disadvantage, and attacks against them have Advantage. Pairs nicely with the ranged Rogue for Sneak Attacks from afar.

Crown would be a similarly useful (but not quite as good) choice at lower levels, with both a Channel Divinity and a 1st Level spell (Compelled Duel) option from Level 3 to make enemies focus on you instead of your allies. But Compelled Duel ends if anyone but you damages the enemy, and neither one of Crown's options impose any debuff on the enemies that are now focusing on you, like the Ancients' Restrain methods do.
    Last edited by RogueJK; 2020-10-25 at 08:57 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Samayu View Post

Your ranged rogue will be good at staying out of of harm's way, but that increases the number of attacks coming a the rest of the party. So you'll need to spend extra effort to keep the wizard and bard alive. For a martial, this will generally be a mix of stickiness and damage dealing.
    So, what’s the best way to do that?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

A Fighter with Polearm Master + Sentinel, or an Ancients Paladin.

For PAM + Sentinel in a Level 1-7 campaign, your best bet would be a Variant Human Battlemaster. 16 STR/CON. Polearm Master at 1, then +2 STR at 4 and Sentinel at 6 (or vice versa). Don't pick Maneuvers that use your Reaction, since you'll already be using most of those for your PAM+S Opportunity Attacks. Pick Maneuvers that will hinder bad guys who are trying to get away from you to attack your allies, like Trip or Goading. Commander's Strike would be especially good for allowing your Rogue to occasionally get 2x Sneak Attacks per round.

A Variant Human Ancients Paladin with just Polearm Master would also be a good choice. 16 STR/CHA and 14 CON, then +2 STR at Level 4. Stickiness from Ancients' Restrained options instead of Sentinel (and available earlier than Sentinel), plus extra damage from the bonus PAM attacks and smites, and the ability to buff the party with spells like Bless that the other casters don't get. Consider going Dueling Fighting Style with a Spear and Shield, if you want to further boost your damage and AC at the expense of controlling a smaller area since you won't have reach. (But that's less important than on a PAM+S build.)
    Last edited by RogueJK; 2020-10-25 at 09:42 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Assuming the Explorer's Guide to Wildemount is allowed by your DM (should be), I heartily recommend the Echo Knight Fighter subclass for this situation. Like others have said you need both the ability to take a hit and the ability to control your opponents to prevent them from hitting your squishies.

Echo Knight does a number of interesting things for your party in particular, firstly it adds a two bodies to a currently averagly sized party of 4. The extra body to move around and keep enemies locked down by Sentinel aided opportunity attacks will be useful for controlling the battlefield. Not as much benefit as if you were a 2 or 3 player party, but certainly more useful than in a party of 5+.

A second benefit to adding another body is turning on Sneak Attack for your ranged Rogue against more targets. This is going to depend on rules interpretation from your DM as Mathew Mercer has ruled on twitter that it does not work with the optional flanking rules, which mean it might not work with Sneak Attack either but I feel like this is an area that is going to vary by DM.

Lastly the Echo Knight is incredibly well rounded, it has all the defensive package of a Fighter (d10 hit die, heavy armor, Second Wind, potential for a defensive Fighting Style). It has great offensive output with your choice of melee weapon, including additional attacks from Unleash Incarnation. Finally it has inbuilt mobility through it's position swap with the echo allowing you to be all over the place in combat, and anywhere you need out of combat.

23. - Top - End - #23

Plenty of beasts have ways to tie down enemies (restraint, grapple, knockdown, etc.) so a Moon Druid natively works here very well - many of the best forms on low levels do this like Dire Wolf, Deinonychus, Giant Spider, Giant Octopus, Giant Rocktopus, Giant Constrictor Snake, Giant Elk, etc. Then when you hit level 5 you can summon a horde of things that can tie enemies down to turbocharge this (like Constrictor Snakes and such) or one Giant Constrictor Snake that can even try to grapple Tarrasque if it so desires.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by jojosskul View Post
    I'm a huge fan of Cavalier, especially with mounted combatant. At this level range that, to me, means you should probably take variant human so you have Mounted Combatant from the beginning. Since the Cavalier abilities depend on things being within 5 ft of you, being on a large mount (depending somewhat on DM interpretation) gives you more squares to make folks be within 5 ft. of you, and the auto advantage on medium and smaller creatures is really nice.
    Cavalier is awesome, but I wouldn't focus on the mounted combat part. And there are several feats that are far more impressive for a Cavalier.

That being said if it's for a campaign with lots of outdoor/mounted combat, then it could be pretty cool.

Now I'm thinking about how a knightly campaign could be great...

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Plenty of beasts have ways to tie down enemies (restraint, grapple, knockdown, etc.) so a Moon Druid natively works here very well - many of the best forms on low levels do this like Dire Wolf, Deinonychus, Giant Spider, Giant Octopus, Giant Rocktopus, Giant Constrictor Snake, Giant Elk, etc. Then when you hit level 5 you can summon a horde of things that can tie enemies down to turbocharge this (like Constrictor Snakes and such) or one Giant Constrictor Snake that can even try to grapple Tarrasque if it so desires.
    Technically even a regular old Constrictor Snake or Alligator can grapple the Tarrasque. E.g.

Bite: Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 7 (1d10 + 2) piercing damage, and the target is Grappled (escape DC 12). Until this grapple ends, the target is Restrained, and the crocodile can't bite another target.

However, the mental image of an alligator restraining a Gargantuan monster in its jaws is pretty stupid so don't try to use that technicality in real serious gaming, only use the idea to amuse your friends. :)

26. - Top - End - #26

WolfInSheepsClothing

Thanks guys. I'll check all these out.

Question: if I were to go moon druid, it's best to make sure I have proficiency in athletics, because that'll transfer over to beast-form, correct?

EDIT: It looks like Cavalier would be a very good option as well, it's 3rd level ability basically forces enemies to target me.
    Last edited by Klorox; 2020-10-27 at 08:52 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Devil

The party is ranged. Which means kiting and a lot of ground to cover. This is going to be a problem for you and for the rogue probably. If he misses his hide actions, his dpr will suffer without a melee to help him land the SA.

Normally I'd say Paladin with a lot of Javelins, but rogue isn't very autonomous, plus you don't have good targets for bless. Both wizard and bard aren't the best archers. They aren't terrible at the very few first levels, but I think a bless is a waste on them.

I would go for Eldritch Knight. Grab a ranged cantrip like chill touch or ray of frost, but really the only reason for EK is expeditious retreat.

Anyway, your main job is to either hold chokepoints or threaten the ranged characters. You can't really tank a horde of melee enemies in open space as a single melee no matter what class your choose (maybe spirit guardian classes can). Dash and dodge are going to be your friends in the first turns of combat.

At lvl 3 you get expeditious retreat and things start to change. Now you can dash as a bonus action so you can play as offensively as you like and still be able to intercept anyone that's coming for you squishies even in a kiting scenario.

You can go for a warcaster+BB build but I don't think it's necessary. I think GWM is better, not for the +10/-5, but the ability to attack a second enemy after you kill the first, will help with the melee swarms if your DM uses this tactic.
    Last edited by Gtdead; 2020-10-27 at 08:33 AM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Have to point out that while the Moon Druid is a damage sponge, the subclass by itseld doesn't really have any feature to protect teammates or to draw the fire.

Moon Druid+Sentinel can work, though.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Have to point out that while the Moon Druid is a damage sponge, the subclass by itseld doesn't really have any feature to protect teammates or to draw the fire.

The do have some good forms that are either just big and in the way and/or good at grappling.
    Combine that with the good spell the druid haves for general CC they do ok.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

30. - Top - End - #30

Thanks guys. I'll check all these out.

Question: if I were to go moon druid, it's best to make sure I have proficiency in athletics, because that'll transfer over to beast-form, correct?

EDIT: It looks like Cavalier would be a very good option as well, it's 3rd level ability basically forces enemies to target me.
    Athletics isn't bad but it's not necessary either as most of the forms come with built-in CC that doesn't require any skill checks. So totally up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post

Most forms can prone, restrain or similar. Prone means allies can't be reached if they keep just a bit of distance, restrain is super-grapple+prone, etc. Overall, they are already inherently very strong CC machines though of course you can augment it with feats.