New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Has Another Player’s PC “ruined” the Tone of a Game for you?

I’ve played on multiple AL tables and a couple of long running printed campaigns. My preference is to envision a world my character inhabits as a little gritty and have a “real” dark ages feel to it.

I dislike when another player creates an obvious joke PC or the often used person from the present sent through time and space to dnd land. When I see someone playing Mr Fart-a-lot or someone trying to play a political candidate wrapped up in a paladin shell, I try to hind my eye rolls and focus on what I can control.

Am I some sort of role playing snob or stick in the mud?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Has Another Player’s PC “ruined” the Tone of a Game for you?

Game tone is a very important element for immersion. Neither way of playing is wrong; I generally favour dark and gritty myself, but one of my favourite campaigns ever was played firmly tongue-in-cheek, with the fourth wall being regularly mistreated (It was a Hackmaster campaign, and we definitely played into the parody nature of the source material). Where it can go wrong is when different players are on different wavelengths, and where that is easy to solve at a home table (preferably before the campaign starts) there isn't much you can do in public games.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Had an entire game fall through because a guy reeeaaally wanted to make a Halfling Cavalier named "Sir Lances-a-lot" once. Nobody else was into it and he would not budge on the matter.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    Had an entire game fall through because a guy reeeaaally wanted to make a Halfling Cavalier named "Sir Lances-a-lot" once. Nobody else was into it and he would not budge on the matter.
    Why would a weird name make an entire game fall?
    In real life there is people with names that are more or less jokes or are extremely awful (like Tristan which means sad)
    The more grimdark a setting is the more the people are crazy on average so it does makes sense to decide to call yourself with a weird name and being insane in a grimdark setting.
    In the medieval era people often were called in function of what they did (ex: smith) so being called lances a lot would make sense if you were the kind of people who hits other people and kill them with a lance very often. (and being a sir is a title coming from nobility which is also correlated with violence)
    lancelot might be named this way because of their use of a lance as far as I know.
    So ironically it makes infinitely more sense than someone calling themselves "Auron Darkmoon" while it is rarely considered weird to pick nonsensical names like this one.

Not seeing any "weird names" / names based on what the individual do would be what is odd if we place ourselves in a grimdark medieval setting where most people going adventuring are probably delusional.
    Delusional people are the majority if we pick people who go adventuring in a grimdark medieval setting because you need to convince yourself you are much greater and stronger than what you actually are or you just decide it is not worth the risk to your lives.
    Last edited by noob; 2020-10-23 at 05:44 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

I've had a similar issue. My DM is running a steampunk D&D5e game, he explicitly said it was going to a gritty and dark world (more details in spoiler). He also gave the players a choice which side they wanted to be on, and I figured it would be possible to uh... make that choice...
    No, literally everyone but me made characters that were in favor of the crystallization process, my character's goal was to lean into the punk part of steampunk and want to overthrow the entire system. I stepped out of line ONCE and they immediately started discussing PVPing against my PC, even though we unanimously decided no PVP ever.

The DM was so impressed with my roleplaying that he gave my character an inspiration point. But I think I greatly over estimated the other player's willingness to be roleplay driven (rather than exp and gp driven) (yes in this case it's mutually exclusive).

Spoiler
    Show

The short story of the campaign setting was that long ago humanity decided to hunt down and exterminate dragons, magical creatures and other stuff. The gods became angry and punished people by taking away magic. Then technology progressed and a gnome found a way to turn creatures and people capable of magic into a magic crystal, AKA magic fuel.
    Those rare few magic people became potential fuel for industry, as did the remaining magical creatures and even outsiders.

Our group lives in a merchant city state, and work for one of the ruling merchant organizations as mercenaries. One of the tasks we get is to sell magic people to the crystallization process. That is the part that IMO makes this setting not only dystopic but also an evil campaign where the PCs are potentially the bad guys. But only if the group chooses.

The DM made each PC take a stance on this, for, neutral or against. I figured that since we had both a cleric and a wizard that "against" had a chance. Nope my barbarian was alone in being against the process.

I ended up making a new character and convinced my DM that my barbarian would make an excellent reocurring villain (or rather, anti-hero, our group are the villains).

TLDR: yes it ruined the tone for me. I wanted a steampunk "against authority and atrocity" game, I got a "evil PCs" game instead.

I think players not taking the game serious enough is a bigger problem though, it doesn't give you an alternative tone to work with, it gives you nothing to work with. You can either convince the other players to take the game seriously, or don't take it seriously yourself.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    The DM made each PC take a stance on this, for, neutral or against. I figured that since we had both a cleric and a wizard that "against" had a chance. Nope my barbarian was alone in being against the process.
    Did the wizard/cleric character ever get their comeuppance in the form of being turned into a magic battery?

Also I dig the setting and might steal it.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

It is supremely irritating to me when a player just absolutely MUST play this one idea they had, regardless of how poorly it fits or any other circumstances, even if the idea isn't a joke (although it usually is) the total refusal to make concessions is a red flag to me.
    What I'm Playing: D&D 5e
    What I've Played: D&D 3.5, Pathfinder, D&D 5e, B/X D&D, CoC, Delta Green

Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    Modern in sense of design focus. I consider any system that puts more weight in the buttons that players mash over the rest of the system as modern.

8. - Top - End - #8

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    It is supremely irritating to me when a player just absolutely MUST play this one idea they had, regardless of how poorly it fits or any other circumstances, even if the idea isn't a joke (although it usually is) the total refusal to make concessions is a red flag to me.
    I find when a player absolutely has to play this goofy idea, it's because they don't get to play much and have psyched themselves up for this game and character. This is the biggest strength of the session 0. It gives the group time to either talk that player out of the bad idea or drop them.
    Last edited by AttilatheYeon; 2020-10-23 at 06:31 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    Did the wizard/cleric character ever get their comeuppance in the form of being turned into a magic battery?

Also I dig the setting and might steal it.
    Not yet. Maybe they won't. But I'll definitely say "I told you so" if I get the chance. I kinda suspect this is going to be a murder-hobo game.

Edit-
    IMO I totally agree. Bin the idea for another game, make it an NPC in your own game. For me character concepts are easy to come up with, especially in 5e where it's made easy, so just come up with something compatible with the game that is fun.
    Last edited by Mastikator; 2020-10-23 at 06:42 AM.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

10. - Top - End - #10

GreenSorcererElf

This. I had a game I pitched to my players: a politics and intrigue heavy game set in Neverwinter where you are supporting or undermining Lord Dagult’s attempt to become the ruler. Low fantasy adventure.

One player shows up with a planar hopping elf wizard from Sigil who “doesn’t use magic, he uses technology”.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I have no problem with a player running an oddball, anachronistic, or wacky PC, so long as it doesn't bug the other players. I find that my players tend to find a kind of equilibrium with that sort of thing.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Why would a weird name make an entire game fall?
    In real life there is people with names that are more or less jokes or are extremely awful (like Tristan which means sad)
    The more grimdark a setting is the more the people are crazy on average so it does makes sense to decide to call yourself with a weird name and being insane in a grimdark setting.
    In the medieval era people often were called in function of what they did (ex: smith) so being called lances a lot would make sense if you were the kind of people who hits other people and kill them with a lance very often. (and being a sir is a title coming from nobility which is also correlated with violence)
    lancelot might be named this way because of their use of a lance as far as I know.
    So ironically it makes infinitely more sense than someone calling themselves "Auron Darkmoon" while it is rarely considered weird to pick nonsensical names like this one.
    Lancelot's name is a sex joke. A knight's lance is a common medieval euphemism/sexual metaphor.

I have no idea why an halfling called "Lances-a-lot" would ruin a game, either. Unless they like insisted that everyone all the time call them that and would disrupt other people's roleplay to insist it.
    Last edited by Unoriginal; 2020-10-23 at 07:20 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Personally I hate edgelords whenever they are played seriously. It always drags the game down and is an invitation for problems at the table.
    Last son of the Lu-Ching dynasty

thog is the champion, thog's friends! and thog keeps on fighting to the end!

14. - Top - End - #14

ElfWarriorGuy

What the OP describes has absolutely happened to me before, in both joke-character and out-of-place character flavors.

I enjoy playing D&D in settings that feel grounded in history and folklore, and to do that means playing characters with beliefs, flaws, and prejudices which fit with that source material. A lot of nasty, campaign-halting conflict has arisen from the people with "modern" characters bumping up against "medieval" ones. Not necessarily anyone's fault (although in some cases, it definitely has been), but I find it saddening when promising campaigns get undermined because people have different ideas about the sort of game they're playing.
    The desire to appear clever often impedes actually being so.

What makes the vanity of others offensive is the fact that it wounds our own.

Quarrels don't last long if the fault is only on one side.

Nothing is given so generously as advice.

We hardly ever find anyone of good sense, except those who agree with us.

-Francois, Duc de La Rochefoucauld

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spo View Post
    Nope, you are fine. But we do each get something different from our participation in an RPG, and public play is structured to be as inclusive as possible.

For regular games, setting the tone is a session 0 thing; and I am not sure AL can accomodate that.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by zinycor View Post
    Personally I hate edgelords whenever they are played seriously. It always drags the game down and is an invitation for problems at the table.
    I agree with this wholeheartedly. I tried once realized my party would end up killing the character at some point and changed characters.
    Last edited by OzDragon; 2020-10-23 at 08:10 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

No, you're just playing in the wrong environment, AL and most printed adventures are set in Forgotten Realms. FR is not "a little gritty and have a “real” dark ages feel to it." it's a mega-magic joke world.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

So I totally agree, but only if your talking about people who go to far and not just anyone with a quote on quote "edgy" backstory. An example/comparison of what I mean:
    A "too edgy so grim" character would be like the Half Elf rogue who was the son of a noble family and his parents were nice people, he murdered them in their sleep and stole their fortune but only because he was neglected and was sad boi TM and perhaps the party can fix him but not before he tells them his scarring backstory.....
    Yeah this was an actual character concept that I had to politely tell him I didn't really want him playing. Same with the lizard folk rogue who wanted to eat one of every species, didnt know vandalism was wrong, and had an equally tragic back story that was often referenced, only he actually played that one.
    Now, I have another player who I play with and DM for. His characters do tend to have more tragic stories and could be considered edgy, ie, his entire town was murdered when he was in the military because his general retreated and left them to die. Or he was stuck in a reincarnation loop for centuries and hates the gods, or he's a warforged paladin trying to figure out if he has a soul. All characters he played. All characters that were fun, engaging, and enhanced the game.
    The difference was that most of the edgelords characters only ever acted as "so edgy" TM, and that ruins a game for me. And sure, the other guy had moments related to backstory where he could do that, but most of the time his cuaracters could still sit and share a mug of beer around a fire, tell jokes, and smile fondly of friends they'd made.

Personally I think my big issue with any character is everything in moderation. Like sir Lances a lot, I don't see a problem with a "joke character" so long as they play the character serious when the situation calls for it. For instance, you can play Arnold Schwarzenegger in a game, and be funny Arnold and make references all you want, ill probably be fine, so long as you stick enough to setting influence, and you react to stimuli still, like crying when your favourite NPC dies, or doing things that give you more depth as a character. My favourite characters of all time in any campaign have always been the "Jokes" the 11 inch tall lucky halfling luck wizard, the 3'4 half orc bard, the monk who just wanted to open a bar, Stratus the paladin with a "buster" sword, Walker, Texas Ranger who was a ranger. All of these characters were jokes, but also very very well role played and still serious. Because they had moderatiob, diversity. You can play any concept and make it good so long as you remember that for them to feel real they need some balance to them personality wise. Lol so random is fine if it's tempered with serious moments, like the trickster cleric from Critical Roll(don't like using the show as a refference but it is true), and an edgy broken hearted vagabond is fine so long as they can still chuckle at the bards inappropriate jokes.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Forgotten realms is so high magic that there should be a new term for speaking of the excess of magic.
    The cosmology involves ao throwing dice to guess the next evil thing they will do and somehow they still keep their true neutral alignment.
    If you do not follow an awful person you are punished to suffer in a wall forever.
    Mary sues go around and makes 40 cross-overs per second.
    There is literally all the settings within forgotten realms provided you are willing to do some dimensional travelling.
    You can go to an earth that is a copy of the call of chtulu earth then punch chtulu and win.(like just why?????)
    You can not cast spells above level 10 except you can but only if you are a mary sue and that is either "elven high magic"(if you are a mary sue that mary sues) or "epic spellcasting" or "weaveless tapping primal magic".
    Last edited by noob; 2020-10-23 at 08:54 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

I’ve played on multiple AL tables and a couple of long running printed campaigns.
    (...)

As Tanari said, the problem in good part might be that you are playing on AL groups and printed adventures.

In my experience, if you want a game that fits your wants better you should join/create a new game, on a fitting setting, with all players buying into the idea from the beggining.

It can be long process, but if you manage, it can be the experience of a lifetime.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'm afraid I am this player right now. The DM did not outline the setting except that it involved a lot of pop culture references.

So I made a Ninja Turtle named Brunelleschi Archibald. The pop culture reference turned out to be more Attack on Titan, with undead eating everyone. Kowabummer.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Ditto. More than once I've run into immature players trying overly hard to make their characters "dark" or "edgy" (or what they consider to be), but then just end up playing annoying serial killers.
    Last edited by RogueJK; 2020-10-23 at 08:57 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I'm afraid I am this player right now. The DM did not outline the setting except that it involved a lot of pop culture references.

So I made a Ninja Turtle named Brunelleschi Archibald. The pop culture reference turned out to be more Attack on Titan, with undead eating everyone. Kowabummer.
    I don't believe making fun hilarious characters is a problem at all. The problem is only when players aren't clear on their wants from the very start and wants end up crashing into each other.

24. - Top - End - #24

BardGuy

The campaign I'm currently playing in has a bit more "sitcom" in it than most of the party was hoping for, mostly due to a single player leaning too hard into the randomness of wild magic, and another player consistently overreacting to it. Currently, we've reached a point where I either have to play team dad & break'em up, or the DM calls a time-out to ask the sorc to tone it down a bit, about once a session.

I don't really know how to feel about it: we're all friends and the campaign isn't in any danger of breaking up soon, but it is getting somewhat annoying and he doesn't fully seem to realize it. Especially since he's admitted himself he doesn't know how to rp the character differently, and making him roll up a new character seems rather harsh.
    Last edited by Taevyr; 2020-10-23 at 09:18 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

I had a player choose to be "Vegeta, Prince of All Saiyans, from outer space" in Curse of Strahd. I was DM and had never banned a player before, and didn't start then. The other players begged me afterwards to toss out any player that pulls something like that immediately. Or at least make them pick something appropriate.

On joke characters I've played beside, I've run into several that have irritated me, but it's not universal. It comes down to a simple question: are they legitimately funny? If you're playing a one off you might be able to get away with a bizarre reference or lukewarm joke name that elicits groans from the table, that name only has to be repeated maybe a dozen times. Now imagine a long campaign, the sort of game every player and DM really hopes to land in. One where your joke has to be repeated every week for months, or even years. Take a moment and seriously think; is it still going to be funny?

Ask a cashier what they think when an item fails to scan and the customer says "haw haw, must be free!". Look them in the eyes. See the burning hate. That is your bad one note joke character spread across a campaign. Save it for a one shot if you must.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    I had a player choose to be "Vegeta, Prince of All Saiyans, from outer space" in Curse of Strahd. I was DM and had never banned a player before, and didn't start then. The other players begged me afterwards to toss out any player that pulls something like that immediately. Or at least make them pick something appropriate.

On joke characters I've played beside, I've run into several that have irritated me, but it's not universal. It comes down to a simple question: are they legitimately funny? If you're playing a one off you might be able to get away with a bizarre reference or lukewarm joke name that elicits groans from the table, that name only has to be repeated maybe a dozen times. Now imagine a long campaign, the sort of game every player and DM really hopes to land in. One where your joke has to be repeated every week for months, or even years. Take a moment and seriously think; is it still going to be funny?
    (Emphasis mine)

YES!
    Last edited by zinycor; 2020-10-23 at 09:44 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    When stuff like this happens, I suggest to the other players to have their PCs just take it at face value. The guy claims to be from outer space. What does that mean in context to your PC? Maybe he means something euphemistic? Maybe he's insane? Just because a player wants a wonky concept, it doesn't mean the other players have to buy into the concept. Clearly "Vegeta" is from the next kingdom over. He's just prone to hyperbole and fabrication.

28. - Top - End - #28

NecromancerGuy

I played alongside a Monster Slayer Ranger in curse of Strahd name Elizabeth Winters. She was very much a play on Buffy the Vampire Slayer complete with clever quips and taking tavern brawler so her main weapon was a wooden stake named pointy, but even though it was a bit, she played the character seriously , and well and it honestly didint break immersion or theme.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by EggKookoo View Post
    When stuff like this happens, I suggest to the other players to have their PCs just take it at face value. The guy claims to be from outer space. What does that mean in context to your PC? Maybe he means something euphemistic? Maybe he's insane? Just because a player wants a wonky concept, it doesn't mean the other players have to buy into the concept. Clearly "Vegeta" is from the next kingdom over. He's just prone to hyperbole and fabrication.
    Being from outer space isn't that outlandish in D&D. In Curse of Strahd people are literally in a different dimension ruled by an eternal yahoo.
    Last edited by Unoriginal; 2020-10-23 at 09:54 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Being from outer space isn't that outlandish in D&D.
    *cough*Spelljammer*cough*