New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Intelligent Hulk

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    They could have made an entire movie about that
    My least favorite thing about the MCU is that, while they have the rights to use the character of Banner/Hulk, Marvel Studios (and later Disney) never got the rights from Universal to do any Hulk solo films. So he's just stuck appearing in The Avengers or in other people's movies.

I really like the Hulk, so I wish he could've had more movies.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2020-11-12 at 01:43 PM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    My least favorite thing about the MCU is that, while they have the rights to use the character of Banner/Hulk, Marvel Studios (and later Disney) never got the rights from Universal to do any Hulk solo films. So he's just stuck appearing in The Avengers or in other people's movies.

I really like the Hulk, so I wish he could've had more movies.
    I didnt realize that. I suppose that explains why he got sidelined so badly.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I didnt realize that. I suppose that explains why he got sidelined so badly.
    Marvel has the rights to make Hulk movies, they have complete control over the character. What they don't have is Distribution rights. They share distribution with Universal. Which means that any time they make a solo Hulk film if they want to put it in theaters, Universal gets control over the theater distribution.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Does Universal get any share of the revenue? If not, theyd obviously sandbag the distribution, so Marvels not going to bother anyways.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I may not be remembering all the details correctly, but suffice it to say that Marvel needs Universal's cooperation to do a solo Hulk movie, and the two companies haven't had enough motivation to work together on it. Hulk isn't exactly worth what Spider-Man is worth, sadly.

On the other hand, the whole Spider-Man deal is still fairly recent on the scale of shared movie universe planning, and they'd pretty much already resigned themselves to resolving the Hulk's story without another solo film by the time this level of cooperation became a possible. It's unfortunate, but the bell has already rung on the current incarnation of the Hulk, and there's no way it's worth it for Marvel to accommodate anyone's demands to do another Hulk movie.

I recently heard they were originally going to have smart Hulk appear at the end of Infinity War, but they decided to push it back to happen during the time skip in Endgame, so we should just be happy that they didn't rush it.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2020-11-13 at 04:18 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Banned

Even before the MCU was setting the bar a bit higher, the Universal Hulk movies weren't well received. Marvel Studios did a great job rehabilitating that incarnation of the character, and I think fans would generally trust them to do a decent Hulk solo movie, but I can understand why neither studio would want to take the risk.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Colossus in the Playground

Classic hulk just seems to be on par with the fantastic four when it comes to making a great stand alone movie. If they wanted to do a stand alone hulk film they would probably have to setup one of the alternate versions of the hulk to happen.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #68

I figure maybe a movie based on the Immortal Hulk might be decent.

It's a bit closer to the Hulk's roots where he was the middle ground between a superhero story and horror story and it's one of the best comics MArvel is pushing out right now.

(That and Venom. Marvel does cosmic horror very well right now.)

It outsold Batman two months in a row a while back.

Set it up as an"Elseword" type thing, like how Joker isn't related to the other DC movies, and make it abundantly clear that this movie is about the monster within and you might get asses in the seats.

Quote Originally Posted by The Devil Hulk, upon his first manifestation
    "Psst. Hey. Hey, big guy? I hear you, kid. I love you, I'll always be here for you. He's not your dad. Not a good dad. A dad can't hurt you and be a good dad. Just let me out, okay? Let me out and I'll kill him."
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I figure maybe a movie based on the Immortal Hulk might be decent.

It's a bit closer to the Hulk's roots where he was the middle ground between a superhero story and horror story and it's one of the best comics MArvel is pushing out right now.

(That and Venom. Marvel does cosmic horror very well right now.)

It outsold Batman two months in a row a while back.

Set it up as an"Elseword" type thing, like how Joker isn't related to the other DC movies, and make it abundantly clear that this movie is about the monster within and you might get asses in the seats.
    I'm really enjoying Immortal Hulk, but you'd have to strip it down a bit to make a stand-alone movie, I think. At the moment, Bruce has at least four personalities swapping in and out- Puny Banner, the Devil Hulk, "The Big Guy," AKA the classic Hulk Smash fellow, and Joe-Fixit. Not to mention a supporting cast who occasionally have alternate forms of their own, and the everpresent possibility of possession by possibly a couple different Gamma related entities.

You probably could make a simplified version that would fit in a theatrical release film, but I think I'd prefer to see it as an ongoing series (probably animated, but effects are getting to the point where it could maybe be done live-action).

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    I just want Bartmanhomer to explain his reasoning that female readers would be offended by an unintelligent female super hero, but just accept that there are unintelligent male super heroes. It's 2020, why would one be offensive and the other not be?
    I can't speak for him, but I would point out that yes it's 2020, but She-Hulk wasn't just created this year. Things were a lot different back in 1980. For one thing, I don't think that the writers were too worried about the reaction of female readers, because back then I doubt they even considered the possibility of females reading superhero comics. But they might have been worried about the reaction of the media in general.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Ok. I'm very calm now and I'm going to try to be as very clear as possible: It's a stereotypical thing nonetheless. And as for male readers for having a dumb angry Hulk. They don't care for it and they're ok with it.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

As a male reader, I'm certainly not okay with male characters in general being presented as dumb and angry. The reason it's okay with Hulk is that there are plenty of male characters that aren't presented that way, not because it's inherently harmless to do so.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I'll be honest, I don't know if having a character portrayed as angry and dumb should be offensive or not. What I am sure about is that this is not (or should not be) a gender issue.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I must apologize for my behavior earlier in this thread. I just got frustrated and just lost control.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

15. - Top - End - #75
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I must apologize for my behavior earlier in this thread. I just got frustrated and just lost control.
    None of us are perfect AI honed machines thus we are cursed with illogical behavior, tense emotions and preconceived notions.

Anyway, I think it's fine to depict characters as dumb and angry, as long as there is a point to it in the story it is being told. However, even calling Savage Hulk, the most familiar version of the Hulk as dumb, would be a disservice to the character. His emotional quotient is childlike, and Savage Hulk may not be fully literature(he had to be taught to spell his name in an old story). That said, there's nothing wrong with his memory. Treat that Hulk good, and he'll consider you a friend. Hurt or attempt to hurt him or his friends, you're bad, and you deserve a smashing. Savage Hulk is well aware of his own strength, and Amadeus Cho theorized that Hulk tapped into Banner's intelligence to ensure that no innocent parties during his battles. Flying rubble can hurt!

Savage Hulk is gullible to be sure, but dumb?
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think a big part of the trouble with making a solo Hulk movie is that he suffers the same trouble as Iron Man; he simply doesn't have that much of a rogues' gallery to draw from- at least, not memorable ones (not saying that the Iron Man movies weren't good, but look at them if you removed RDJ's stellar turn as Iron Man; I honestly think they'd be kind of lackluster movies). Without a strong antagonist to structure things around, things become much more difficult to do.

... the Fantastic Four have the opposite problem. They have some absolutely stellar baddies, but moviemakers insist on altering their villains in the stupidest ways possible. Just embrace the megalomaniacal sorceror-king in medieval-looking super-armour, for crying out loud!

17. - Top - End - #77

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    I think a big part of the trouble with making a solo Hulk movie is that he suffers the same trouble as Iron Man; he simply doesn't have that much of a rogues' gallery to draw from- at least, not memorable ones (not saying that the Iron Man movies weren't good, but look at them if you removed RDJ's stellar turn as Iron Man; I honestly think they'd be kind of lackluster movies). Without a strong antagonist to structure things around, things become much more difficult to do.

... the Fantastic Four have the opposite problem. They have some absolutely stellar baddies, but moviemakers insist on altering their villains in the stupidest ways possible. Just embrace the megalomaniacal sorceror-king in medieval-looking super-armour, for crying out loud!
    On top of the lack of baddies, the hulk suffers from a lack of good dialogue which makes iron man and spiderman so much fun. You can only hear HRRRAGH! and HULK SMASH! so many times till it gets obnoxious, and banner himself is not a magnetic personality either.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

18. - Top - End - #78
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    On top of the lack of baddies, the hulk suffers from a lack of good dialogue which makes iron man and spiderman so much fun. You can only hear HRRRAGH! and HULK SMASH! so many times till it gets obnoxious, and banner himself is not a magnetic personality either.
    Which wouldn't be a problem if the writers ever read a Hulk comic.

Hulk in Thor Ragnarok is basically the only time we've ever seen anything close to a comic accurate Hulk on screen. (At least in live action, some of the animated ones aren't as bad)

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post

Hulk in Thor Ragnarok is basically the only time we've ever seen anything close to a comic accurate Hulk on screen. (At least in live action, some of the animated ones aren't as bad)
    In fairness, the need to have his character arc exclusively through other character's movies complicates being true to the character tremendously.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

20. - Top - End - #80

The problem is doing a standalone film. He works fine with an ensemble cast, but when he is the main character and the entire movie revolves around him, it just doesnt seem to work well. At least not with the standard dumbish hulk smash and bruce doesnt want to change setup. Bring in a different type of hulk and it could work better.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    In fairness, the need to have his character arc exclusively through other character's movies complicates being true to the character tremendously.
    I'm not just talking about the MCU Hulk though.

The old TV series and the Ang Lee movie were the same. They've never read a Hulk comic so they don't know that Hulk is also a character.

They just think "oh he's an uncontrollable rage monster, hulk only smash".

22. - Top - End - #82

"Hulk hurts. All the time hurts. All the time always. Why? Why Hulk have to hurt so much?"
    ~The Hulk, Immortal Hulk #12.

He's crying his eyes out as he says this.

A lot of people don't get that the Hulk isn't just "Bruce when he's too angry to make words" or an external creation of the Gamma Rays.

The Savage Hulk. The Big Guy? He's the part of Bruce that will always be the terrified three-year-old who wishes that Daddy would stop yelling and just love him like a Daddy is supposed to. The scared child lashing out at a world he doesn't understand and that keeps hurting him.

And he's just one fragment of Bruce's shattered psyche.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #83

I'm not just talking about the MCU Hulk though.

The old TV series and the Ang Lee movie were the same. They've never read a Hulk comic so they don't know that Hulk is also a character.

They just think "oh he's an uncontrollable rage monster, hulk only smash".
    From what I remember, the hulks general personality was "Leave me alone" He rarely fought for the sake of fighting, he tended to fight in order to escape whatever was attacking him. The hulk was actually kind of a sad dude. Unless you refused to let him go, then he smashed you till you did. Which really kinda made the connection between him and banner visible. Both were in a strong mindset of "Dont try to hurt me or it will end badly" Both wanted to avoid confrontations. Its just the hulk had the power to enforce his desire to be left alone by smashing anything bothering them.