New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Intelligent Hulk

Is Intelligent Hulk any different from the other Hulks? I only see him in the Avengers: Endgame.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Intelligent Hulk

Well, obviously he's more intelligent.

In the comics, theres been a few different flavors of smart Hulk. They run the full range from "Literally Bruce Banner but with muscles" to "Complete alternate personality that knows everything Bruce does, but also has the muscles of the Hulk and is totally evil and doesnt like Bruce".

I think typically the smarter Hulks have been portrayed as losing direct slugfests with the "regular" Hulk that most people think of, but are still operating at such a scale that 90% of the time it doesnt even matter. And of course there are exceptions. As with everything comics, theres a lot to unwrap there.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Well, obviously he's more intelligent.

In the comics, there's been a few different flavors of smart Hulk. They run the full range from "Literally Bruce Banner but with muscles" to "Complete alternate personality that knows everything Bruce does, but also has the muscles of the Hulk and is evil and doesn't like Bruce".

I think typically the smarter Hulks have been portrayed as losing direct slugfests with the "regular" Hulk that most people think of, but are still operating at such a scale that 90% of the time it doesn't even matter. And of course, there are exceptions. As with everything comics, there's a lot to unwrap there.
    Well of course he more intelligent. In the movie, he's very calm and rational compared to the other Hulks.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The Hulk's near-mindless rage is typically portrayed as a result of the damaged subconscious of Bruce Banner. He's had better luck controlling/directing the Hulk when he's more mentally healthy. The movies dont really get into it, but the Hulk isnt really a separate person from Banner, just a different aspect of the same mind.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

The Hulk's near-mindless rage is typically portrayed as a result of the damaged subconscious of Bruce Banner. He's had better luck controlling/directing the Hulk when he's more mentally healthy. The movies don't get into it, but the Hulk isn't a separate person from Banner, just a different aspect of the same mind.
    Well, I already knew that the Hulk has a serious anger problem with just about everyone and everything he get angry. After all, he is the Hulk.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Well, I already knew that the Hulk has a serious anger problem with just about everyone and everything he get angry. After all, he is the Hulk.
    Plenty of them dont have anger issues at all. There have been a lot of Hulks over the years. The one with anger issues is Banner, not the Hulk.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Plenty of them don't have anger issues at all. There have been a lot of Hulks over the years. The one with anger issues is Banner, not the Hulk.
    Huh? So you mean to tell me that Banner has anger issues the whole time?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Yeah. From before the accident that made him the Hulk even.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Yeah. From before the accident that made him the Hulk even.
    Wow, I knew that about Banner. This is very mind-blowing.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

There's a scene in the first Avengers movie that gives it away, although only as a throwaway line: "I'm always angry".

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Yeah, Banner had a VERY bad childhood. His father was an alcoholic and was highly abusive towards Bruce thinking he was a mutant. Eventually Bruce's father murdered his wife (IIRC Bruce witnessed it or something very close) and Bruce ended up in a mental institution for awhile. He was still a child then. So he's really messed up. There's actually a saying that goes like this. "Banner does not protect the world from the Hulk. The Hulk protects the world from Banner." Because if Banner ever really went over to the dark side he would make most super villains' look like amateurs'.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    There's a scene in the first Avengers movie that gives it away, although only as a throwaway line: "I'm always angry".
    How did I miss that part?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Yeah, Banner had a VERY bad childhood. His father was an alcoholic and was highly abusive towards Bruce thinking he was a mutant. Eventually Bruce's father murdered his wife (IIRC Bruce witnessed it or something very close) and Bruce ended up in a mental institution for awhile. He was still a child then. So he's really messed up. There's actually a saying that goes like this. "Banner does not protect the world from the Hulk. The Hulk protects the world from Banner." Because if Banner ever really went over to the dark side he would make most super villains' look like amateurs'.
    I dont think that saying ever worked. Either Banner was kept in checked by his lack of knowledge due to age, or, when he became smart enough to be a credible threat as a supervillain there was too many people that can stomp him flat. Stark is more or less a god, Richards SPAWNED a god, and is older than Banner, so he would have been able to slap him down when he was young, Doom considers Richards his only equal, so theres that, and Web head may be the youngest in some iterations doesnt detract from the fact that he can shut down both Hulk and Banner.... on all fronts. Hell, Banner would be warm-up training to dealing with Croc. And Doc Oc is far more competent than people realize. Banner would of been put down.

And all of that is with exceeding him mentally. Physically, Hulk has lost to the likes of Juggernaut and Colossus, and Onslaught technically has zero strength and thumped the Hulk. Or Jean or worse, Xavier, can just mind wipe him, since, unlike Wolverine, his body doesn't move without an ego.

Needless to say, that saying is just dumb. Its like believing Batman can punch down Superman without help.

14. - Top - End - #14

Hulk has gone through some many iterations and tweaks over his... what, 60 years in the public eye?

I'd say the most dangerous mentally Hulk is likely the Devil Hulk, who's running around in The Immortal Hulk. Funnily enough, he's Banner's innate desire for a father figure. But because of his horrible childhood, Banner and EVERY Hulk instinctively distrust father figures. Devil Hulk can smell the lies of men, damage or even cause lethal damage to divine beings and has an instinct for everyone he runs into. During a tussle with the Avengers a while back, he was able to psyche out She-Hulk, comparing her current state to what the world fears about the Hulk. Also, the Devil Hulk's stated desire is to 'End the World', so Hulk can finally be alone.

Also, Immortal Hulk has tons of body horror, taking a critical eye to comic book death and how horrific it is for the people coming back and their loved ones. I like the book quite a bit.
    Don't know your name but bring the pain.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Yeah, Banner had a VERY bad childhood. His father was an alcoholic and was highly abusive towards Bruce thinking he was a mutant. Eventually, Bruce's father murdered his wife (IIRC Bruce witnessed it or something very close) and Bruce ended up in a mental institution for a while. He was still a child then. So he's messed up. There's a saying that goes like this. "Banner does not protect the world from the Hulk. The Hulk protects the world from Banner." Because if Banner ever really went over to the dark side he would make most supervillains' look like amateurs'. : smaller:
    I didn't know about Banner's origin and childhood. This is all new to me.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Yep. Bruce is an enneagram 9, that means he has conscious ego defenses, but also mental habits that work unconsciously to neutralize anger and rage. Think that Adam Sandler movie from the mid 00s “Anger Management.”

Anger is so scary due to childhood trauma (Bruce was abused as a child) that the unconscious mental habits are trying to shortcut anger for it got him in trouble in the past. Likewise The Hulk is the opposite extreme.

Then again with 50 years of comics there have been dozens of different Hulks with Bruce as the core over the years. (Not counting other hulks inside of other people like Red Hulk aka the General Thunderbird Ross or something which is the father in law of one of Bruce’s love interests, there is a half a dozen other gamma infused Hulk like people.)
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Yep. Bruce is an enneagram 9, that means he has conscious ego defenses, but also mental habits that work unconsciously to neutralize anger and rage. Think that Adam Sandler movie from the mid 00s “Anger Management.”

Anger is so scary due to childhood trauma (Bruce was abused as a child) that the unconscious mental habits are trying to shortcut anger for it got him in trouble in the past. Likewise The Hulk is the opposite extreme.

Then again with 50 years of comics there have been dozens of different Hulks with Bruce as the core over the years. (Not counting other hulks inside of other people like Red Hulk aka the General Thunderbird Ross or something which is the father in law of one of Bruce’s love interests, there is a half a dozen other gamma infused Hulk like people.)
    Enneagram 9 sounds like an anime show.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Enneagram 9 sounds like an anime show.
    Yeah it sounds like an Anime show.

It is a personality, psycho-analysis, defense mechanism understander. And once you understand the defense mechanisms you use the most it tries to teach the idea of the golden mean. For with the things that most threaten us / scare us we are often doing tactics that are excessive, or deficient, and not "excellent."

But seriously Enneagram 9 sounds like Anime, like Eureka 7 or something else with greek in its name like Neon Genesis Evangelion. In reality it is merely greek that says you are drawing a shape with 9 sides, enna meaning 9 and gram meaning "written" or "drawn" (and now you know where instagram gets its name from.)
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Yeah it sounds like an Anime show.

It is a personality, psycho-analysis, defense mechanism understander. And once you understand the defense mechanisms you use the most it tries to teach the idea of the golden mean. For with the things that most threaten us / scare us we are often doing tactics that are excessive, or deficient, and not "excellent."

But seriously Enneagram 9 sounds like Anime, like Eureka 7 or something else with greek in its name like Neon Genesis Evangelion. In reality, it is merely greek that says you are drawing a shape with 9 sides, enna meaning 9 and gram meaning "written" or "drawn" (and now you know where Instagram gets its name from.)
    Wow. Now I learn a few new things in this thread.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Colossus in the Playground

Yeah but back to the original topic, we have had so many hulks. One of my favorites was the grey hulk who was smart-ish? I dont think he was banner smart but he was at least regular human smart. Also he didnt have rage issues anymore, but was far weaker than the standard hulk. Went by the name Joe Fixit working as an enforcer in vegas for a time iirc. Just did a quick search and my favorite smart hulk was Merged or Professor Hulk. Full banner intellect, more or less full strength i think, used a lot of tech like reed richards.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Yeah but back to the original topic, we have had so many hulks. One of my favorites was the grey hulk who was smart-ish? I don't think he was banner smart but he was at least regular human smart. Also, he didn't have rage issues anymore but was far weaker than the standard hulk. Went by the name Joe Fixit working as an enforcer in vegas for a time IIRC. Just did a quick search and my favorite smart hulk was Merged or Professor Hulk. Full banner intellect, more or less full strength i think, used a lot of tech like Reed Richards.
    I remember there's also She-Hulk. She is very intelligent.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2020-10-24 at 08:42 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, Banner had a VERY bad childhood. His father was an alcoholic and was highly abusive towards Bruce thinking he was a mutant...
    Is that a retro story? Hulk was created when the world feared radiation , not genetic mutations, if my memory serves me.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    Is that a retro story? Hulk was created when the world feared radiation , not genetic mutations, if my memory serves me.
    Yeah, Jack Kirby and Stan Lee had a fun time with the power of the atom. Closer to revision then a retcon. The story about Bruce Banners terrible childhood was in the 80s iirc.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkmoar View Post
    Yeah, Jack Kirby and Stan Lee had a fun time with the power of the atom. Closer to revision than a retcon. The story about Bruce Banner's terrible childhood was in the 80s IIRC.
    Amazing and I don't read comic books, so I also learn something new as well.

25. - Top - End - #25

Amazing and I don't read comic books, so I also learn something new as well.
    tbh you're not missing much nowadays. Continuity snarls and reboots, massive amounts of convoluted backstories, characters with inconsistent characterization, sometimes questionable art, often weak writing and poor editorial oversight are rife.

There's plenty of gems of course, but they're getting harder to find. Literally. Just about every supermarket, pharmacy and corner stone no longer stock comic books, actual book stores are closing and its harder to find actual comic books because they don't sell as well anymore. Manga is doing pretty well though.

You'll have more luck with webcomics anyway.
    Last edited by Lurkmoar; 2020-10-26 at 08:36 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

I remember there's also She-Hulk. She is very intelligent.
    Well, She-Hulk is a different concept entirely. She's one of many people who became Hulk-ified after exposure to Bruce, in this case via blood transfusion. (See also Doc Sampson, another favorite of mine.)

Because her background is different - she isn't battling so much buried rage and psychological damage - she doesn't have to deal with Hulk's anger issues. Instead, she just lives her life, except as a giant green muscle woman. A life in which she is a lawyer. Frequently for superheroes. Which is honestly its own kind of awesome and I would still love to see that courtroom drama as a TV show.

But on the point of Banner as supervillain, consider where he was when the Hulk emerged - he was working on a gamma radiation weapon. A radioactive bomb. He was - and remains - one of the world's foremost experts in this deadly and dangerous radiation.

Let's be clear: If Banner hadn't become Hulk, but had eventually snapped, you know he would have put that knowledge to the worst possible use. That is 100% supervillain material right there.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    But on the point of Banner as supervillain, consider where he was when the Hulk emerged - he was working on a gamma radiation weapon. A radioactive bomb. He was - and remains - one of the world's foremost experts in this deadly and dangerous radiation.

Let's be clear: If Banner hadn't become Hulk, but had eventually snapped, you know he would have put that knowledge to the worst possible use. That is 100% supervillain material right there.
    Yeah, Red Fel is exactly right. it's important to note that when Marvel releases a list of how heroes rank in given categories, Banner is always in the top 5 for intelligence. Honestly, the only reason why others get more attention is because the Hulk part gets in the way.

But a fully realized evil Banner in a Hulk body would probably immediately rise to a top 5 threat list.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lurkmoar View Post
    tbh you're not missing much nowadays. Continuity snarls and reboots, massive amounts of convoluted backstories, characters with inconsistent characterization, sometimes questionable art, often weak writing, and poor editorial oversight are rife.

There's plenty of gems of course, but they're getting harder to find. Literally. Just about every supermarket, pharmacy,y, and cornerstone no longer stock comic books, actual book stores are closing and it's harder to find actual comic books because they don't sell as well anymore. Manga is doing pretty well though.

You'll have more luck with webcomics anyway.
    Well if I have time, I'll start reading the Hulk comics on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    Well, She-Hulk is a different concept entirely. She's one of many people who became Hulk-ified after exposure to Bruce, in this case via blood transfusion. (See also Doc Sampson, another favorite of mine.)

Because her background is different - she isn't battling so much buried rage and psychological damage - she doesn't have to deal with Hulk's anger issues. Instead, she just lives her life, except as a giant green muscle woman. A life in which she is a lawyer. Frequently for superheroes. Which is honestly its kind of awesome and I would still love to see that courtroom drama as a TV show.

But on the point of Banner as a supervillain, consider where he was when the Hulk emerged - he was working on a gamma radiation weapon. A radioactive bomb. He was - and remains - one of the world's foremost experts in this deadly and dangerous radiation.

Well I'm glad that She-Hulk got a different concept compared to her male counterpart. If Marvel would include the rage with a low IQ and other psychological problems then other readers (mostly female readers) would find it somewhat offensive and they think "If this how Marvel depicted what female superheroes are?" But I'm glad that they didn't depict She-Hulk that way. Besides I like She-Hulk.

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    Yeah, Red Fel is exactly right. it's important to note that when Marvel releases a list of how heroes rank in given categories, Banner is always in the top 5 for intelligence. Honestly, the only reason why others get more attention is that the Hulk part gets in the way.

But a fully realized evil Banner in a Hulk body would probably immediately rise to a top 5 threat list.
    That's true. An evil Banner would be a serious threat to the Marvel Universe.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Well I'm glad that She-Hulk got a different concept compared to her male counterpart. If Marvel would include the rage with a low IQ and other psychological problems then other readers (mostly female readers) would find it somewhat offensive and they think "If this how Marvel depicted what female superheroes are?" But I'm glad that they didn't depict She-Hulk that way. Besides I like She-Hulk.
    I won't speak for female readers, but I will say it frustrates me when the female version of a male superhero is nothing more than the distaff counterpart - "Hey, let's make this guy, but a chick." So I for one appreciate when the character is, "Hey, let's make this guy, but different in a lot of ways, sex being only one of them."

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    Yeah, Red Fel is exactly right. it's important to note that when Marvel releases a list of how heroes rank in given categories, Banner is always in the top 5 for intelligence. Honestly, the only reason why others get more attention is because the Hulk part gets in the way.

A fully realized evil Banner without the Hulk's power would be a threat. The Hulk, with or without evil Banner, was enough of a threat that the world's greatest geniuses literally created a plan to launch him into space. Go read the Planet Hulk storyline. And then read World War Hulk, because the Jolly Green Giant was not a fan.

Point is, both Banner and Hulk are legitimate threats to take seriously. The irony is that each one effectively limits how dangerous the other can be. The scary part is when they get along.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Colossus in the Playground

Funny thing, had banners life not sucked so badly growing up, its entirely possible that explosion would have turned HIM into The Leader. Basically multiplying his intellect and mental abilities many fold. Imagine Banner being turned into something so smart that he could honestly consider reed and doom to be amateur dabblers in the field of science? Though that banner I dont see going evil. He would probably not be a hero either as he wasnt really the type to go heroing by choice. You could probably justify him going either way due to his intellect. He could be like movie ultron and decide the only way to keep humanity safe is to destroy the people (heroes included) endangering it with their actions. Or become a hero because he can nearly doc manhatten himself and predict how things will go so he steps in to stop the bad stuff.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."