New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Gnomecalypse [5e solo hexcrawl]

You start walking up the tunnel where a gentle stream flows down into the mudpool.
    The tunnel follows a gradual slope upward, running a serpentince course in the dark. The surface of the stream has spots of light, as if you were looking at a starry sky. Soon the cave walls begin to behave in a similar way. A few turns of the corridor later and you notice a form of light that looks like a comet flying slowly in the middle of the roof.

The tunnel broadens. You find a small clear pool with spiky intricate crystals growing out of it. It looks like the pattern of an enormous snowflake. The cave continues with more and more crystals sticking into the tunnel from stone and stream alike. A faint tinkling sound emanates from the crystals.

As you continue, you hear Thistle remark behind you.
    It's music. The crystals are doing a song but the notes are very slow.

The voice of the crystals grows stronger as their number increases.

You continue your path and find a spot where the walls are no longer rock but pure crystal. The glittering passage then opens up into a domed crystal cavern that has light flowing into it from somewhere. The innumerable reflections in the crystals mask the source of light while also dividing the light into it's various colours. Your smalles movement allows you to see the room in different shades.

Another pool on the floor of this room is fed by a waterfall at the opposite side of the cavern. As you come nearer to the waterfall though, you notice a most curious phenomenon... the closer you come to the waterfall, the slower the water. The waterfall itself... it doesn't fall but stands still, as a crystal wall. Water still comes out of it and stream picks up pace while going on level ground. Even the spray of the waterfall hangs in the air. Clear... diamondlike droplets... hard. Touching them somehow creates a sound like a windchime.

You step into the stream and notice you don't sink. The water is too slow for you to sink. It carries you.
    This room somehow seems to be the end of the path. You see no other tunnel or exit than the one you came through.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

"Is time itself slowing?" Hushedfly quietly asks.

It seemed even stepping on the pool of water was possible?

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

As you test the water, you notice that only the stream near the waterfall feels solid. When you try stepping on the pool, you slowly start to sink into it. It seems to have the solidity of mud, while being completely clear.
    Thistle tastes the water and calls
    It's fresh, tastes good.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Hushedfly gets out of the water and instead approaches the waterfall from the side. She gets about as close as possible to the waterfall to make it the slowest, then reaches out to gingerly pick a little piece of crystalline spray.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

You touch one of the floating sparkly drops. It feels cold to your fingers. It stays where it is despite your touch... but as you grab it, it very slowly molds to your touch and spreads over your fingers.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    not gonna lie, pretty stumped

"Maybe there's something behind this waterfall. But I'm not sure how we'll get by it without freezing our limbs off," Hushedfly says.

"Hey wait a minute. Themouse, would you try blowing into that flute thing?"

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

Themouse tries the whistle. It makes a nice clean sound but there's no obvious effect.

You're near the waterfall for a while. As you're standing there you notice that indeed it seems like there's light coming from the other side. It seems like there's a space there.

Themouse whines
    I bet the oracle could have helped us with this

Thistle frowns and plays her drums a bit.
    I was hoping the music's pace was controlling the water.

Themouse says
    I guess not. I can't move the water with my mind either.
    He then hits one of the crystals with a hammer and breaks it. Then he tosses the large broken up crystal piece at the waterfall.

The surface of the waterfall... breaks a little... but the piece of crystal falls down into the stream.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Hushedfly tries to fish the piece of crystal out and says, "Hey, can you try to help me up?"

She'll try to slowly push the piece of crystal into the top of the waterfall, applying a steady, constant pressure in an attempt to part it.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

Themouse and Thistle rush to help you.
    Together you slowly push the crystal into the water. The wall of water gives way very very slowly. When you finally do get the crystal into the waterfall, you notice that the waterwall below the crystal has lowered a little bit. A small empty crack has appeared. It's nowhere near large enough to go through though.

You wait a while only to see the aperture grow.

Slowly you gain better visibility into a room that has curious items. There's flowers that have grown into shapes that look like you could sit on them. There's a small tree on which is laid a crystal disc. On the disc are crystal cups, a bowl and a decanter. On the opposite side of the room there's a large fresco depicting a beautiful forest.

The floor of the room has some kind of decorative mosaic which you can't see properly from where you're standing.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Hushedfly continues holding and pushing the crystal into the water, making the opening bigger and bigger.

"Go on," she says. "We should all get through now."

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

The three of you slip into the next room.
    Themouse sets the small crystalware down. Then he raises the crystal disc off the tree and wedges it in place in the aperture of the waterfall to permanently create a space through which one can move from room to room.

It seems he's kind of strong.

Once you're in the room you see that the mosaic pattern is a map. It shows the room of echoes, the mud room, the tinkling path, crystal cave and finally the small room where you are now.
    Curiously you can see a miniature you move in the mosaic. Themouse and Thistle are also there.

The small room where you are now is positioned in the floor mosaic right next to and contiguous with the wall fresco that depicts a forest.

Themouse tries the whistle again. Once more it makes a clear sound but nothing more.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Hushedly peers at the mosaic map and forest fresco.

"I.. I think we are on this, somehow.."

Turning a bit she says, "I'm going to try to move you, Thistle. Try to, um.. not fall."

With that, Hushedly gingerly touches the little marker of Thistle on the map and gently tries to nudge it more to the center of the room they are in.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

The marker's move doesn't seem to affect Thistle. When you release your finger from the marker, it simply glides back to it's original position.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

"It can't just be a dead end. Crystal and Buffalove and whoever else came through here have to be somewhere.." Hushedfly says.

She reexamines the mosaic and the fresco. Hm. Maybe there was actually a forest on the other side of these walls? In relation to the map that would put it where, though?

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    perception: (1d20+4)[10]

I figure maybe there is a secret opening in a wall which will lead to a forest. Or at least, another room. I don't know.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

Your hand simply slides into the fresco. You can feel a cool breeze on your hand. You can easily draw it back. There's a small piece of a leaf stuck on the back of your hand. It falls easily off.

Thistle jumps into the fresco and disappears from view.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Hushedfly gives a surprised look to the others.

Thistle jumped through, so she just shrugged and stepped through a bit more cautiously.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

There's a weird sensation as you step into the fresco as the direction of gravity changes.

You step out of a pond into a forest where Thistle already is sniffing a patch of flowers.

The pond behind you has a greent-tinted shimmering image of the room you just left. Themouse breaks the surface of the pond when he comes out even more cautiously than you.

Around you tall trees thrive on all sides. Beams of warm sunlight penetrate the canopy above. A worn path runs alongside the same sparkling stream that was in the cave.

A path crosses the clearing with the pond. It goes to the left, from which direction you hear the sound of crashing waves. It also goes to the right, from which direction you can hear distant voices.

The trees don't look dangerous. Their trunks and branches are moving in a vague rhytmical dance-like movement though. Their roots stay in the ground in place.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

Hushedfly points to the right and quietly says, "I think they're over that way."

"But.. maybe we should take a quick look around first?"

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

Themouse says.
    That makes sense. Let's go to the left.

Thistle looks quizzically at you two. She's picking nuts from the ground and tries to eat them.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

"Do you know what those are?" Hushedfly asks Thistle.

She waits a bit and beckons her over.

"I don't mean to spoil your fun, but it could be dangerous if we're caught out here..."

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

They're some kind of nuts. We used to eat nuts a lot in the burnt out forest. Nuts were left and if you could find them while they were still warm that was the very best.
    Thistle answers

Themouse says
    What if they dance in your belly like the trees dance here.

Thistle goes
    You think it would give me a tummy ache?
    She now looks suspiciously at the nuts.
    They're not warm anyway so there's no hurry. Maybe I'll watch them for a while before eating them. ... In case they start dancing.
    She puts a bunch of nuts in a small leather pouch.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

So, everyone continues on the left path with the sounds of waves. A big ocean, perhaps?

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

The path continues into a rift that goes downwards between two hills. The stream you've been following seems to have its origin on the side of one of the hills. The water simply flows out of a small orifice the rocky wall.

After a very short walk you come to a rocky shore on the brink of a storm-tossed sea. A titanic octopus is swimming maybe a hundred yards off the shore. It's waving its legs in the air in a manner that seems strange and pointless but very impressive. Further on the ocean a mist covers the horizon.

Despite the roiling seas the breeze on the shore is somehow pleasant, even warm and gentle. There's seashells on the shore. They can be found in a wild array of shapes, sizes and colours. Their numbers seem vast and yet you can hardly see two that resemble each other.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

"W-wow... and a dancing ... thing?" She had probably never heard of an octopus, or even known of a word for it.

"These are pretty, though." She picks up a few of the colorful shells and puts them in the bag with the diamond.

But she does look around for any other form of landmarks or possible trouble. That's kind of why they bothered coming this way first, after all.

perception: (1d20+4)[23]

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

Themouse tries the whistle just to be sure but nothing happens.

While the beach has a beauty of its own it doesn't seem to be offering much in the way of clues or opposition. You spend a while looking around the area and you do eventually find a small grotto with a pond in it. The pond has a number of luminescent medusae floating in it but they don't seem worth bothering.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

"Let's go back then. It's interesting here, but I guess we couldn't escape if we had to run this way.."

But the climate seemed rather nice and everything was dancing.. hm... This place was probably irresistible to Thistle.

"What do you think about this place? I get the feeling you'd like to stay here.. if only it was safe and you wouldn't be attacked by zvarts."
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-02-01 at 03:25 PM.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

Thistle looks around
    This place... It's magical in all the right ways. I wonder though... Is it real?

Themouse says
    It could be a trap. It trapped Buffalove and Crystal for sure. Maybe what we're seeing is ... the bait!

You walk back to the pond and presumably continue to the opposite direction...

Sounds of weeping become louder as you move down the path toward a small clearing in the woods. ...
    There, a gnome maiden sits in a patch of clover, sobbing into her hands.
    Dancing and singing around her are several foot and a half tall gnomelike creatures with red hair, green hats and green coats. They appear to be trying to console her. They're calling her "Caerwyn".

The maiden wears garb that's easily recognizable to you as the work of your mother. When she reveals her face. It is Crystal! ... But her hair is black instead of the absolute white it used to be.

Thistle says
    She's pretty.

Themouse is clearly surprised but he controls himself well and doesn't say anything.

Crystal notices your approach and stands up. She sniffs and wipes away her tears. Regaining her composure she looks around in confusion.
    Hello, strangers
    she says
    In hope of finding you friends, I ask you: Where are we?

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

"Crystal? Are you still Crystal? It's me, Hushedfly.." But then again, maybe she didn't really know her.

She answers, "I don't know. Was this a demi-pland still? Or Fae lands?"

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

Crystal sighs
    Crystal is one of my names, I think.

You see that one of her eyes is dark green as it always was, but the other is dark blue.

Hearing your answer about your lack of knowledge she bites her lower lip and swoons, letting out a sigh.

One of the dancing little men sings
    What's the place that's out of places, you roast it when it's green, moist it when it's brown and hoist it when it's grey?

Another one does a cartwheel and yells
    It's all clear from this direction!

A third one hollers
    Oi, don't mess with Caerwyn or I'll let you smell my socks!

Thistle whispers
    I think those little ones are leprechauns.

Themouse asks
    Crystal, where's Buffalove?

Crystal answers
    My love was here with me when we awoke under the radiant gaze of a woman fairer than any I have ever seen. He ran after her, praising her beauty, abandoning me here. Has Porpherio forgotten me?
    She starts to weep again.

Themouse frowns.
    Crystal seems to be feeling a bit off.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

Hushedfly's face scrunches and she looks at the others in confusion. She didn't understand what had happening at all.

"Well, um, which way did they go?" she asked. But surely it wouldn't be as simple as that?