New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Gnomecalypse [5e solo hexcrawl]

Chrnogor stays quiet for a while. Then he relatively quietly mutters
    -There might be goblins running in the western passes. I must go but I'll be back to watch this side too. If you see any fat or pro-fat gnomes, send them to me. I'll teach them about pressure.

Then the creature's face fades and you're back on a normal ledge by yourself. The sun is still not in the eastern horizon but it must be close.

You're still cold and a new cloudcover is forming in the south suggesting new rain might not be too far off. Hunger is also creeping in again.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Hushedfly waits a little while, but seems the elemental is really gone for now. Hm, she didn't know what to think of the whole interaction. Normally she wouldn't be approaching something like that or be engaged in such a conversation, but it was kind of forced on her. Better a conversation with a jovial earth elemental than something else that would want to eat or squish her. She decides she just might seek Chrnogor out later, but probably not in the very near future. He wasn't a gnome from her tribe, and the same politics and drama, bragging and pontification, nagging and disapproval wasn't something that annoyed her. But on the other hand, maybe he was too much. In so many different ways.

Hushedfly sighed. What would she rather have as a companion? A lifeless stone?

She sat on her protected ledge a while longer, watching the clouds as they rolled in from the south. The cold was something she was used to.. mentally anyway. The cold was something she was far more willing to endure than going back. The chill and the breeze and the hard, cold hard ground beneath her were all unique sensations that helped describe and know her environment. It wasn't just an uncomfortable, negative feeling that should be avoided. Though she still found herself shivering again.

Hushedfly waits for the first hints of dawn to approach on the horizon. Or the rain. Maybe she'd like to get rained on before she headed back. Notagem wasn't too far, after all.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Sounds like exhaustion levels will be coming. That's fine.

Would I be making a constitution save?

Just in case: (1d20+2)[12]

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'm assuming you ate well before leaving for your travels so you're not yet in exhaustion territory. You just rested and while the weather has been cold we kind of went to the direction that your character is rather ok with cool temperatures. There's definite discomfort at this point but collapse is not near.

Also, yes, Chrnogor is a bit much, lol.

It turns out that the rain comes before the dawn. It starts as a slow, surprisingly warm drizzle.

After enjoying the rain and moistening her mouth with the steady flow of droplets you eventually start back towards Notagem. Eventually orange conquers the horizon and you start seeing to a larger distance. You make note that the ledge you slept on was a part of the largest mountain in the close vicinity. Rangers call it Black Peak.

The better lighting allows you to correct your course a little bit and you're back home at the moment sun starts to actually crown in the east.

A couple of gnomes who have been fishing through the night are returning at the same time. You find the two gnomes who were in the nightshift, supposedly keeping watch... they're actually asleep. There's a distinct smell of wine.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Sneaking past the watch was going to be a challenge Hushedfly had anticipated... Well, apparently not.

Hushedfly enters after the two fishers, and she discreetly makes her way inside the caves, sticking to walls and shadows and such whenever possible. She stays still whenever there are people passing by. She's trying to head home, wherever her mother would be when she goes to rest. Hopefully she'd be able to see her mother before she slept.

Hushedfly always tries to sneak in and out. But of course, sometimes she gets seen. It's a fairly awkward situation for sure, one which she often tries to avoid with yet more stealth, rather than.. conforming.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Most people in Notagem live in the higher caves. Moving through this area you are noticed by a couple of gnomes but nobody bothers you with more than a quick 'hi'.

Your family has an area of your own in the lower known territory. Nobody really knows all the passages. There's a waterway near your dwelling. You can hear the flowing water if you stop to listen from where you sleep.

Anydots is tying pieces of leather to hang out to dry. She's calm, working in her own pace, lovingly. She's got your little brother swaddled next to her. He's quite furry, obviously taking after mother's side.

You have a visitor. She's Highpick the warrior. She's staring at your father.
    -I think you should take responsibility for Fey-tricker's actions. You did support him for a century.
    Arclight messages something back to her.
    -I didn't see any fomorians. It was just a bunch of xvarts.
    Again the answer is messaged.
    -So now you're hiding behind the new chief?
    -The young braves saved me and with your powers they could've been able to save Crystal too.
    -And Buffalove.
    -The Chief hasn't acted yet and there's no reason to believe he's going to.

You get the feeling that the conversation is moving in circles.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Hushedfly quietly moves to a corner behind Highpick and sits, beginning to blend in with these surroundings.

She didn't interrupt the conversation at all. She just listened, trying to piece the conversation together with the one side she could hear. At least she knew what her father was like.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

You notice that Arclight is very much annoyed by the conversation and you gather that the discussion has continued for a while. As soon as Arclight notices you, he casts a spell. The result of the spell is that Highlight rushes up from the bench she was sittin on and runs away in fear.

He stands up and brings you a bowl full of nuts and pieces of roots and some fish eggs. Then he brings you a claycup of water.

Anydots asks:
    -So how was your night? If you want, you can clean yourself with sand in the next room or would you like to warm yourself under a wolf pelt?

For a while a normal scene is set. Everybody is just ... being theirselves.

Anydots is the first to break the silence.
    -Dear, you didn't need to listen to her. Almondgrape is the chief now and we support the chief.

Arclight messages her something and then to you.
    -I feel like I should do something.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Hushedfly accepts the food and drink and sits on the pelt. Warming up for now! Definitely warming up.

"It was good," she simply says, very softly. When it came to her family, she didn't bother using messages. She felt there really was no need to, and it was a bit of a hassle to send a message to everyone. This would be especially true when her little brother got older. "I saw some interesting things if you are willing to listen.."

"What is happening?" she asks.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

Anydots starts explaining with a feverish pace.
    -Highpick wants your father to go look for the two lost gnomes - Buffalove and Crystal. She blames the old chief and everyone associated with him for their disappearance. Just because she thinks that it doesn't make it something we need to care about. She can't just burst in to our home and start ranting. I mean I'm sorry that she was kidnapped by xvarts along with the two others but she's safe now and we're happy about that. ...
    Arclight never controlled xvarts. They might have been Fey-Tricker's allies but not ours. If anything Highpick should be blaming herself. I mean she was their guide when they went exploring. Who comes into peoples homes and behaves like that?

Anydots pouts. Arclight frowns and messages something to her and then to you:
    I went to look in the southwest at the hive where the young braves saved Highpick. There were no more xvarts there. The area was taken over by nekkers. Those creatures don't work together. I don't know where the xvarts or the captives might be now.

Anydots starts to work with leather again and continues:
    -All the more reason she can't expect you to do more.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Hushedfly merely shrugs. Yes, she agreed it would be pretty presumptuous to assume her father had anything to do with this, and also rude for the other to barge into their home flinging around accusations. She was beginning to feel annoyed again, probably like her family.

"Wouldn't you need a large search party to have any chance?" she asked. Then she continued to chew on her food.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Arclight messages you:
    I'm happy you didn't have to see the times when the outside was truelly horrible. We've always lost gnomes. They rarely come back. Highpick doesn't realize how lucky she is. The ones who survive continue to multiply the clan. We grow from below. That's the way we maintain life.

Anydots shows you a pair of shoes that she's made. They've got pointy toes.
    -Now that you're venturing outside... wouldn't you at least consider some shoes? There's all sorts of spiky and poisonous things there.

Arclight sends another message:
    -The chief won't call for a search party. There's a small chance that some ranger might find a clue somewhere. I suppose Feytricker might also come back and he might have some information.

Anydots waits for a moment and says.
    Most people like to wear clothes. I suppose there's a reason that young boy keeps looking for you here.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Hushedfly shrugs noncommittally. The shoes would probably ruin her camouflage and ability to walk quietly. And besides, she could just be careful to avoid thorns and stuff, couldn't she? "Maybe later.." she says. It was kind of sad, Anydots was probably the best leatherworker in the whole tribe, yet her daughter had for the most part refused to wear anything she made.

She nods to her father and then looks curiously at her mother.

Show
    I'm guessing she means Grimdog, Poker, or Pre-pair.. or maybe she's referring to someone else that was never named yet!

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Gamemechanics-wise 'no armor' is sufficient to get the bonus but flavourwise you're of course correct. Carrying anything would make you more visible.

Anydots looks at the baffled faces of you and Arclight.
    -I mean... There's mountains full of stone and yet he's been doing prospecting at a spot where he can see the path to our cave. He's been there for a month. You can't tell me neither one of you has noticed him.

You vaguely remember a meek-looking rockgnome nearby at the waterway. For the life of you, you can't remember his name but you do remember the weird combination of bulging miner's muscles and attempting to stay out of anyone's way. You remember going to get water from nearby and him just trying to do some sewing.

-You two. Always so deep in your heads. How do you observe so much and never notice these things? Sigh. ... I'm sorry. I'm still a bit on the edge.

Arclight goes and hugs her. Your brother interrupts the scene with some bawling. Anydots picks him up to nurse.

Arclight messages you
    -I'm going to sleep. Do remember to visit the mites.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Hushedfly nods to her father again.

Then she messages her mother: 'I was told the mites did or found something and I should have a look..'

She'll get up to leave.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

The mites are creatures you've seen a few times. They look like wrinkly dirty pale blue gnomes except they tend to have very bulbous, uneven features and patchy hair. They're usually about 50 to 70 cm in size. They tend to smell awful.

The mites live in a network of small tunnels below Notagem. They live out of and in the refuse of the gnome tribe.

You descend into the darkness. The tunnel is moldy and narrow. At one point you find a patch of rainbow-coloured slime which smells like honey and you avoid it. The climb is not physically difficult as the narrowness of the path makes it difficult to fall.

In a few minutes you find yourself in a chamber with a wet floor. The room smells like ammonia. You see worms wriggling in the mud. It's not the greatest way to end a day.

You see two ways out from the chamber. The first one is very wet and leads further down. The other one goes back higher. This path looks to have a series of insect egg pouches on its walls. All paths are made for creatures smaller than you but you can crouch through.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Suppose Hushedfly wouldn't know which way to go already? And crawling around like this is normal if you want to visit them?

Not sure which way to go, Hushedfly tries the path that descends first. She tries not to slip on the dampness, but guess that's hard when you're on all fours anyway...

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Mites are friends but they're not pleasant and until recently their presence was kept secret from most of the tribe. The few times Hushedfly would have seen them would have been when they'd come up and collect garbage.

There's a number of known paths to their territory. This is the one that's closest to where you live.

The muddy chute down continues only for a couple of meters and then there's a drop into a lower chamber.

Under the drop you can see a beautiful giant spider's web a meter below you. About a meter further below that there's a pool.

At the edge of the pool there's a ledge and on the ledge is sitting a wrinkly mite lady with sores all over her face. She's dressed in a carved out pumpkin and she's patting the back of a large spider. Given your stealthiness she hasn't noticed you.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

After hesitating but thinking why else did she come here in the first place, Hushedfly raises a hand and points a finger, sending a message to the mite lady.

'Hello. I was told.. your people found something important?'

Well, those exact words weren't used, but if it wasn't important, why did her father insist that she come here twice?

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

The pumpkin lady moves around looking in all directions in an exaggerated comical way.
    -What are you? Are you a centipede or a spider? Maybe a scolopendra? We've got a home for you, yes. We can be great friends. Come here and mommy will give you yummies. Don't be afraid of my spidey here. She's only the third most venomous creature in this room.

Then she finally looks up and notices you. She gives out a surprised shout and jumps back. Then she starts talking gnomish.
    -You've only got four limbs! A gnome has come to visit. Welcome! Jump down, we'll talk better when I don't have to bend back to look at you. It's an injury you see. My back hasn't been the same since I tried to imitate an earthworm and cracked it.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

"J-jump down..? How am I supposed to get up, then?" Hushedfly asks, obviously quite weary of the situation. And there was also a giant spider web in the way too. Wouldn't she get stuck in it?

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

-You could go that way. She points to the exit she's nearest.
    -Or that way. She points to the other exit.
    -Or maybe you'd like to climb back up the way you came? We so like to show you higher-ups all the ways of our world. She's got a look that seems like the most earnest thing ever but your insight tells you she's anything but.

-My sons can carry gnome manure by the bucket but I'm a bit light to carry you back up. Maybe the spider would do it?

She rises up and starts moving towards the exit that's farthest from her.

Show

Mites, nobody's ever accused them of being pleasant. Your knowledge of the history between mites and gnomes is not the greatest but you know that they were very loyal to chief Feytricker for a couple of hundred years. For fey-origin creatures they're apparently trending lawful, but also, not pleasant.

Here's a suggestive image of the general type of creature we're dealing with:
    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a3/17...ffe70ef4e9.jpg

The following is info that might be actually spoilerish but you might already know it anyway depending on how wide your gamer knowledge is...
    In most campaigns that deal with the era that corresponds to fantasy middle ages mites are traditional enemies of gnomes. This game exists in a time before the relationships turned that way. There's a few thousand years between the game moment and the standard mite of bestiaries. Other changes have also occurred through the years.

-Would you consider that a worm can go up and down the wall, even inside it. If a gnome is so much better than an earthworm, why can't a gnome crawl through the earth?

There's a temple down that way. She points to where she's slowly treading. But I can't show you what's there if you're up in that tunnel.

Show
    If you want to, you can roll acrobatics to dive into the pool between the web's strands or to tightrope the web to its edge and jump to the ledge. Or you could try something else.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Well, a bird could fly, and a fish could swim and breathe water. Could a gnome do any of those things? No. But she'd still say she'd rather be a gnome than a bird or a fish or a worm.

"I think I'll just, um, try a different way down. I would hate to ruin that beautiful spider web. It must have taken hours to make," Hushedfly says. It wasn't really the real reason Hushedfly didn't want to go down, but perhaps a reason this mite woman could appreciate.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

The pumpkinlady turns back with new cheer.
    It is a fine web indeed. It's the type we use to catch garbage that flies down chutes. We filter everything. Never can know when there's perfectly good refuse just flowing in during a flood. This is the time of meltflow's, coldest most sporadic floods. We have to watch our webs carefully at times like these.

-Swivel here. She pats the spider again -She's the fifth strongest spinner we have. If you have an axe you could get through her web, but those strands are bound fifty times round each other. I've seen a fifty web stop a log in floodwaters.

She keeps droning.

-We don't get many logs here. It was good treasure. We usually have to spelunk far for quality stuff like that. That log is still the queen's bed.

She steps into the pool and... walks with her feet just a few centimeters under water.
    -There's another, tighter web here, for smaller items, like stone tools if we're lucky. Below that there's a third one for things the size of a nut. That one's only five times twisted. It doesn't have to carry that much weight but it could catch an acorn.

Her leg slips through the web and she has to rise up again, which she does, laughing. Her movements are quite awkward. She doesn't look nimble to begin with and the pumpkin that's her clothes seems to limit her movements. -One needs to be a little careful with these. They can slip from under you. She can do sticky webs too but they wear her out. She beckons to the spider with her hands. -Would you help mummy out, dear?

The spider lifts her up and positions her back on the ledge.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

"Um.. right, right, that is quite fascinating. I shall, um, try a different way down. ... ...bye?" Hushedfly says.

She backs up, crawling backwards. Once back in the place with the intersection, she tries the other way that seemed to go up, careful not to touch any of those insect sacks.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

You carefully avoid the eggsacs though not without a couple of close calls. You start hearing more and more insect noises and you finally come to another chamber.

On the sides of the chamber there are a number of very large cockroaches, one of them about as large as you. The floor of the chamber has a pool that reaches the edge of a hole that continues further down.

In the ceiling of the chamber there are five inflow chutes. From the smell of the pool you suspect some of them lead to holes that are used by gnomes for disposal of garbage or urine.

There's what looks like a crafted walkway on your right side a little higher from where you are. There looks to be a way out that way.

On your left there's what looks like two large holes in the wall were manually covered by packed earth.

Close by around one egg sac there's more of the rainbow colored goop you noticed earlier.

A final particular thing that you notice is that there seems to be a cockroach leg that's wiggling on its own at the chamber of the floor.

Show
    The chamber has a roundish shape. If you want to get to the filled holes or the crafted walkway without getting into the pool that should be relatively easy. To get to the holes in the ceiling would be quite difficult and require athletics. You're not sure how the cockroaches will react to you though.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Yeahno. Nope. Hushedfly didn't want to be contending with giant roaches as big as she was either...

She really didn't know what she was doing. Wouldn't that crafted walkway going up lead back away from mites anyway? She just sighed. This was all kind of scary and gross and claustrophobic.

Hushedfly decides to just go back home. Maybe if whatever the mites found was so damn important, her father would just tell her what it was.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

You climbed back home and after cleaning yourself up you had a pleasant day's sleep. Exhaustion brings deep sleep and there were no dreams.

Next evening came and you found yourself guarding your little brother while mother and father were gone. Your brother is called Sling. He's always easy and always positive. Even though he's not yet very good at talking, he's trying to approach you, to contact you, to understand you. His furry hugs are warm, honest and tickly.

During the early evening you noticed that the miner close to your home is peeking towards your home every now and then. But he does seem to be actually working with something, something that involves water.

Later on when your father came home he seemed frustrated. He messaged you that he had been trying to get the chief to start planning how to protect the vault. The chief had been more interested in the rapidly diminishing stores of fermented juices and soma. The months after the change in power had been filled by festivities, playing around and everyone more or less doing what they wanted.

When you asked your father about what the mites had found he first just messaged you that you should see it for yourself. When you pressed him on the issue he explained a little bit more:
    -There's an enchanted boarhead the mites are guarding. The item seems to cause the dead to come back to life. Now the head is broken and the enchantment is also almost without power. But the real thing I wanted you to see was the place where they're keeping it and that place can not be explained.

The dead moving. That's not a magic that existed in faerie. Anything that died was rather rapidly devoured by something that still lived. Yet Arclight had told you that some of the fae ladies and lords had been looking for such magic. It had always failed in Faerie, but now the magic existed.

Whispergnomes were generally sending hexedmessages about the lack of wine or guesses regarding if Grimdog was going to come back alive. A new thread of conversation was going on about increased goblin sightings in the west.

It was all getting a bit much. Another day and you wake up to the next evening. What adventure would you have tonight?

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    I take it that the hexedmessages are something that behave rather custom? Normally the Message spell is only affects a single target within about 100 feet. So I guess while in Notagem, messages can go to all whispergnomes?

Hushedfly decides she'll head out again. Maybe she'll head east, and see the forest on the other side of the lake?

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    It's the regular message spell technically. But the whisper gnome society is very gossipy. It's kind of a cultural hivemind thing. While technically the individuals like silence, they tend to mostly be silent towards outsiders. Within the in-crowd there's cultural competition for who gets to tell others about a new thing. The whisper gnomes are not anti-social rather they're insular and anyone who doesn't know the message spell can't penetrate how their social network functions.

Arclight would have explained to you the following:
    The background to all of this is how during the times of slavery all whisper gnomes protected each other. For an individual it was difficult to know what the fae lords and ladies wanted because they were chaotic and evil. The nobles played games that were deadly to the individual. But if whisper gnomes spied on the nobles they could guide others that were in danger.

For example... Say a fomorian would order a slave to bring them apples to eat and then mention something about having changed their opinion, that they'd prefer grapes and would humiliate or destroy anyone that brought them apples... the whispergnome network could transmit info about the changed circumstances.

Protecting the network was crucial. If the fomorians found out about the message network, they would realize they were being manipulated and they would kill all whisper gnomes. Keeping all whisper gnomes loyal to the network used to be crucial. After the cataclysm it's just cultural. There's no strict necessity for continuing the hivemind behaviour but now it's just something that's always been done.

It's evening, though the sun is still over the mountains. It's a relatively cold, clear day. The wind is coming from the east which is not common. It's also dry. Druidcraft suggests no rain tonight.

There's birds in the sky, they're flying in from the south. The sky tree in the east is slowly starting to great the beginnings of new green leaves.

Show

You know there's a chance to meet someone with a raft or a boat near the lake.
    You know about the rapids with the kelpie to southeast.
    You could also circle around the lake from the northside.
    Which way do you head?

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Hushedfly takes it slow, and she tries circling around the lake from the north side. She'd prefer to keep away from that other gnome-like person with metal boots that was drinking blood and.. well, probably killed all the other stuff near it.