New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Gnomecalypse [5e solo hexcrawl]

The idea of the mites confuses and excites Thistle.
    -So they LIKE living in garbage? And they deal with every trash and mess?

She emphasizes that she's looking to find something better too.
    I heard that the forestwalkers have a new leader and she's doing great things. I had been considering going back to that direction until I met you. They say she's an oracle who can figure out mysterious things. Now I'm really liking the idea of Notagem though.

As you wait on your high vantage spot, the morning starts to slowly come. In the twilight you see that you're somewhat more north than you expected, maybe two kilometers. You can see the lake in the south.

Another thing you see is a duo of badgerpeople. They walk into the area from the west. They walk cautiously, on all fours to the pit trap and check it. You can see they're armed with clubs and wear crude crowns made of bark.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Hushedfly just shrugs when Thistle asks about the mites. Well, she supposed that assessment was accurate enough.

"I knew we went too far north.." Hushedfly softly says.

Then she sees the badger people. She started to get a little nervous. She could probably hide from them easily enough, but Thistle would probably stick out.

She messages: 'Um. So you don't think we'd make them angry if we were just sitting here, right??'

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Thistle says
    I hope they don't try anything. They don't look too bad though. With the reputation they have, I thought they'd be larger.

She casts minor illusion to create the form of a rock between you and the badgers.

The badgers move to check the pit trap and then one of them says
    Look, there's tracks. Something came close to falling here.

The second one answers
    Soddit. Never lucky.

The first one moves closer to where you stood a while ago.
    Eh, maybe it was a someone or someones instead of a something.

Like who? That no-goody Woody dudey?

No boots. I'm thinking gnomes.

You sure? This way? Should be west, not east.

They came from southeast and then they've been circling around. Who knows where they've gone.

Let's go back. Who cares about gnomes.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Hushedfly silently lets the conversation unfold. Yes, it's probably best if they just walk off, uninterested.

She just looks over towards Thistle with a shrug. "Guess we'll be sitting here all day then. Unless you want to walk around these hills a bit..?"

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

When the badgermen leave, Thistle says...
    I don't think so. We should sleep. You look tired.

For a moment she leaves it at that but then adds

Next night we will find new adventure. Let's prepare ourselves. Besides, the sunrise is pretty enough to watch...

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    This would be a good time to advance Hushedfly to level 3.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

You soon fall asleep.

Once near noon you wake up and see
    Spoiler: image
    Show
    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/66/7b/ce/667bce4d1b5fb44926e8ec477ef2f07e.jpg
    a group of such creatures wandering around the hill, looking for something. After a few minutes they tread away.

Later you wake up a second time as a large bird is making noise. It's circling overhead and first you suspect it's trying to see if you are food. Then you notice it's actually being chased by a small cloud.

When the sun starts to be near the mountains again you're feeling refreshed. Your first day spent out of home. Thistle greets your waking with offer of a goodberry for the night.

A while ago the badger people were near again. I'm happy you managed to sleep through that.

You move towards the lake and you find yourself near the island of the banshee, though a little past it on your way back west. In the remaining daylight the island doesn't seem that threatening. You spy no glow to suggest the presence of the phantom. The obelisk on the other hand is substantially more easy to spot in daylight. It stands on the island's central hill and reaches toward the sky in a forboding manner.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Hushedfly thanked Thistle with a soft smile for the berry. Then she had quietly guided Thistle down south to the lake. Finally, they should easily be able to make it back home! Hushedfly felt anxious about it. At once, it would both be some relief, though she would hate to see how her family worried so. And any other drama going on over in Notagem.

She'll message: 'So you'll want to go to Notagem as soon as possible, right? Most of us are awake at this time. Or would you rather look around at the scenery first?'

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Thistle answers smiling
    If one just moves toward some goal... doesn't one miss out on everything important?

She pauses to toss some flat stone on the surface of the lake.

After a while she points at the Banshee's island, particularly the monolith.
    Did you know that stone reveals secrets? It hurts you, but it tells you things. Some of the satyrs have been there in daytime. The Lady disappears if the sun is high so they got out again alive. I wonder how it reveals things. Does it talk? I don't really want to be hurt though. Is there a place you'd want to go?

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Hushedfly shakes her head. "I didn't know that. What do you mean it hurts you, though? What did the satyrs say it does to them?"

"You know, I was there, on the island last night. That's how Headroom found me. It turns out the Lady of the Lake likes his songs and is rather enraptured by them. But otherwise, when he doesn't play.. I suppose she can sense any life on the island and just screams at it. She damn near killed me..."

When asked where she wants to go or what do do, Hushedfly shrugs and says, "I like to swim." Though admittedly she wasn't really good at it.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2020-11-27 at 06:04 PM.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

THistle listens carefully to Hushedfly's words. CHoosing her words carefully she answers
    They didn't have any wounds, I mean they didn't bleed or bruise or anything but they said they felt the life drain out of them.

She tosses another stone into the lake.
    I can't play the pipes as well as Headroom does. I wonder if she'd like my drumming as well. Maybe she'd dance? That would be funny.

Then she puts a foot into the water.
    Brrr. It's cold. I wish it was warmer. If we had a really large clay pot we could heat water in it and swim in warmth.

She frowns a little.
    I wish I had a spell to resist cold. I can heal though, and I can make animals like me.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

"Hm.. I don't think it's a good idea to touch that," Hushedfly says.

Putting a hand in the water herself, she then says, "Yeah, it is colder this time of the year.. There is even ice still in the water."

She'll lead Thistle around the lake over to the west side. "I think there's rabbits around here somewhere."

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

The two of you move to the west along the beach. You watch the sun descend behind the Sunset Shield mountains. Looking at the mountains you see a small avalanche near the top of Black peak. The spring is starting to melt even the highest areas.

For a moment you wonder whether Chrnogor was involved somehow.

You get to the angle of the beach where you can start heading southwards. Then you hear a curious noise, like metal striking rock. As you approach it comes more consistent, though still irregular. You also hear what sounds like a battlecry of a lone gnome from behind a nearby hill.

Should we see what that's all about?
    Asks Thistle.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Hushedfly will message: 'Maybe? I avoid crazy things like that. Might be this one guy I saw with metal shoes, surrounded by corpses, and drinking blood...'

Ick.

'Here. Just don't try to attack anyone or make loud noises and you should be fine.'

Hushedfly will reach out to Thistle and cast invisibility on her. She'll head on over to the sound of the noise, relying on her natural stealth.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    also expending a sorcery point to extend the invisibility

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

Thistle mutters
    I'm so good at making sounds.

Then she smiles and disappears.

You and her steps move around the hill.

You see a familiar gnome, it is Highpick. She's stading on a small rock and using her pickaxe to hit at something that's around her feet. In the dim twilight you have trouble seeing what it is at first.

There seems to be little reason not to move closer though. You step nearer and you start seeing that there is indeed something small that's scuttling there. They look like large beetles, the size of two extended fingers. The way they act seems unlike anything you've seen insects do. They're acting like a team, snapping at her feet with their pincerlike jaws, attacking this or that leg while she lifts the other to squash another bug.

A large number of the creatures are lying on their backs, maybe half of their total number. Some of the ones that are still moving are starting to eat the ones that are dead.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Well, at least it wasn't some probably-crazy cannibal gnome. It was just Highpick. Wait, was she in trouble??

"Highpick!" Hushedfly exclaims. "Are you .." Okay? Need help? Lost? She didn't finish the sentence.

"W-what's going on? Why don't you just run from the beetles?" she said, backing up slowly.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

Crystal keeps hacking at the little critters
    I couldn't protect Crystal or Buffalove. I couldn't escape the xvarts by myself. I couldn't convince your father to rescue Crystal... But... I'm... not ... RUNNING FROM... BEETLES!

The beetles are starting to run out. There must've been at least sixty of them to start with but two thirds of the little critters are now crushed.

Thistle starts to tap her drum and sing with a low throaty voice.
    Show
    You get temporary hit points every round while she does this. So does Highpick.

Highpick seems surprised.
    What's that singing? I think it's taking away the pain from their bites.

You look at the beetles a bit more. Their body seems to have a very stupid anatomy. THey're almost all mouth and legs. They certainly seem more magical than ... real.

These bleeding ripperbeetles have been appearing more and more. I wish we knew where they're coming from.
    She stomps the last beetle.

Thistle stops singing and whispers to you
    Should I stay hidden?

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Hushedfly kind of shrugs at first but then shakes her head at Thistle. "Um. I brought a friend."

"Are you alright?" Well, barging into her home saying stupid things was annoying, but she didn't like the idea of her being bitten up by beetles.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

High pick huffs and puffs out of exertion.

Thistle, still invisible, says
    Hi.

Highpick seems confused.
    Huh? So you actually DO have an invisible friend? It's not just something that people say. That's a surprise.
    She smiles a bit, which is quite a typical for her.

Thistle giggles.
    You can't even sleep without somebody watching you unseen.

Highpick seems aghast and taken aback.
    I didn't need to know that.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Hushedfly sighs. "Thistle,
    you can....."

Hm. Hushedfly cast the spell. Couldn't she dismiss it somehow herself?

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Invisibility stops if the invisible person casts a spell or attacks. Skaldsong is neither. It also ends if caster declares they stop concentating on the spell.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Hushedfly will stop concentrating on it then.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Thistle appears. She immediately goes and hugs Highpick who looks paralyzed by fear.
    Hi. Are you from Notagem too?

Highpick says
    Huh? Who are you?

Thistle goes
    I'm Thistle, envoy of myself. Who are you?

Highpick
    I'm a guardian of the tribe or... something.

Thistle says
    Nice.

Highpick
    Uh-huh?

Thistle
    So...what are you guarding the tribe from?

Highpick
    Just, you know... Stuff. Just generally guarding. Doing my thing.

Thistle
    Oh.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

"And you're way out here?" Hushedfly asks. "Was there some sort of beetle problem?"

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

I was looking for bugs, but something larger. Many have reported that there's been giant scorpions in these parts. It's
    a bit early in the spring for them. I was wondering why they would have woken up so early.

Highpick says.

Thistle raises an eyebrow but then looks weirdly eager.
    I wonder if I could ride one.

Highpick is about to protest but then says
    I'd like to see that, but only if you succeed.

Thistle asks
    If we get bored of Notagem can we go look for scorpions in the mountains?

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Hushedfly opens her mouth to speak, but nothing comes out for a while.

"... I, uh, can't stop you, but you said something about making animals like you so I hope it's not dangerous?"

"Also I've no idea where scorpions are.." she mumbles.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Thistle notices the reactions and says
    I wouldn't ride it if it didn't like it... But scorpions carry their young on their backs I think. Maybe if I was nice to one it would give me a ride too. And yes, I do have a trick that makes animals like me.

Highpick says
    That would be interesting and definitely worth seeing. If you were going to Notagem first, I'll come with you. I think I can still fix these boots.
    She points at the chewed leather around her feet.

Show
    There's no other encounters before you get to Notagem. Are you going directly to your parents or exploring something else?

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Hushedfly nods and says, "Why don't we go back then. I hope my parents are not too worried."

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

You travel home without incident.

Your mother guilted you a little for being away without telling her. Your father was maybe a little bit proud for having you prove your abilities to survive once again. They were surprised by Thistle's appearance but they offered her a place to stay in a side-cave.

Your father was even more proud when you messaged about your new abilities. He gave you a couple of life-gems in honor of your advanced ability to find adventures. The life-gems are remnants of faerie magic. When eaten, unbridled life force fills the person who eats them.
    Show
    They may have random side effects but they heal 1d8 points.

You've been home for a couple of days when you first see Thistle flirting with the rock-gnome engineer near your home. A day later she asks you to have a chat with him too.

He introduces himself as TheMouse.
    Yes. The is a part of the name. Thistle tells me that you're the stealthiest lurker that ever was. I need the help of someone like that. I think I've managed to find a path to where Crystal and Buffalove are, but I need the help of someone who's a capable scout. The path is probably guarded and my step is not light. Would you help me?

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Hushedfly gives her mother a more sincere hug than usual as an apology for running off. And she would have made it back maybe late yesterday if she hadn't gotten a bit lost. But hopefully everyone found her story about the journey and the other court very interesting.

--

Hushedfly nods hesitantly at TheMouse. "I'm interested in helping.." She looks about a little nervously, however. "Could you explain more, though? What do you mean you found a path?"

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Last winter there was a sorry piece of business when a group of braves found that there's a faerygate far below our community. They inadvertedly opened the gate and our old chief ran in with some of his xvart accomplices. Chief Almondgrape chose that we should block the paths to down below and many of us working gnomes spent a week moving dirt to fill passageways. Chief had a party at the end of that since we stopped an invasion, or so he said. While I was working I didn't see any signs of a fairy invasion.

Later, when Highpick said that she, Crystal and Buffalove were kidnapped by xvarts... I started thinking again. The only place we've heard of xvarts really congregating is down there. Highpick even said that the place where they were kept had a tunnel of some kind that went back towards the direction of down below us.

Since then I've been listening to what the mites say and they tell me it's all quiet down there. No explosions of fungusmen, no armies of fomori. So I wanted to check things out. I looked for the way the water takes down. I drilled into a small river path and two days past I succeeded. climbed all the way down to the cavern of the gate.

It's a green glowing thing in a huge cavern. Nobody's guarding it. There's just some fungi around and a bunch of xvart tracks. Now xvarts aren't the smartest of gnomekind, or the strongest. A number of our junior warriors apparently killed the xvart chief while rescuing Highpick.

So I think it would be possible to rescue the kidnapped duo. But I don't think I can do it alone. At least I need some help in scouting what's there. That would help in making a plan at least.

Themouse goes through the speech with a very serious look on his face.

Thistle says
    That was a lot of talk. I don't think I've heard you say that much at one sitting before.