New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Gnomecalypse [5e solo hexcrawl]

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    So it sounds like the way forward was always open anyway??

Well, with that seemingly settled, Hushedfly sets the artifact down at the base of the statue and continues to silently walk down the passage before her.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WindStruck View Post
    Show
    So it sounds like the way forward was always open anyway??

Well, with that seemingly settled, Hushedfly sets the artifact down at the base of the statue and continues to silently walk down the passage before her.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Yes. It says so in post 196. No matter. No harm done.

As you continue, you start hearing the sound of running water, just a slow trickle, but nevertheless.

Proceeding onward, you come to a spot where the corridor opens into a large cavern where you see a stream flow into a muddy pool on the floor. The stream is beautiful, like a ribbon of stars. You realize there's something shining moving in it, they look like glowing crabs. The stream enters this cavern from the opposite side of the chamber, along a tunnel that looks to continue the path upward.

You would have expected there to be an ugly chemical smell here, but instead the air is full of musky, warm aromas that change from moment to moment.

In the middle of the pool of mud there's a dry area that rises above the pool. On this patch there's a mound of dried mud or clay. From different parts of this mound stick out two hands, one of which looks like a male gnomes, the other looks like a female hand. The female hand seems to have a ring.

In the muddy pool itself, mud churns, raises almost creating the form of a creature and then collapses again to join the rest of the mud.

Behind the pool there's a stony snake statue. Where the snake's head is supposed to be, there is the upper part of a female gnome. The thing moves slowly and looks towards you.
    The stone itself tells me of your coming. I am a guard and you will not pass me.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Sorry, been trying to think what Hushedfly would do here....

Hushedfly takes some steps back as the statue approaches.

She supposed it could tell where she was if she simply touched stone. So many of her abilities probably wouldn't help. But the statue seemed a bit.. talkative?

"W-what are you guarding?" she asks.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

The creature stops before entering the pool.

I guard the path through the Crystal cave. It's an old contract, formed with the Overbeing.

It reaches into the mudpool and grabs a long of stonestaff or maybe it's a spear...

The faeries may have fooled us in the negotiation, but the contract is binding. We guard what they ask of us, because they guard the newborns. That's the litany, that's the contract. I will keep it for it is set in stone.

The creature waves it's spear at you.

As long as the fae keep the gnomes, I must stand guard. So I will stop you.

Despite it's threatening words it's not approaching you.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

"But, but, I am a gnome. And there haven't been Fey around in a long time. Nobody has 'kept' us for years and years .." Hushedfly says.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

A likely story. I say that I'm here to help gnomes and suddenly you claim to be one.

The creature rotates 360 and looks at you again.

Admittedly I've never seen a gnome. I doubt they even exist yet. They were under way, soon to appear so long. Chrnogora claimed that he'd seen some back before I took the duty in this demi-plane... So I suppose some might be around but the fae are watching over them, taking care of them, not letting them run loose, I'm sure.

The creature scratches it's back with the speartip
    You simply can't be a child of stone. You're not even made of stone.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh, Chrnogora! I met him some days ago. He is boss of the mountains now, and is always talking about pressure and how it made him strong."

"Well. I suppose there's no chance he would meet you here now, is there..?"

Then again, it seemed the rock giant hardly knew what a gnome was himself, anyway.

"Hm. There must be some way to prove I am a gnome." She recalled a few tricks she knew, the only explanation being her Faerie ancestry. She tries creating some effects with Druidcraft, anything from the sounds of rumbling stone, to the orb of a bright sunny day, and perhaps making a mushroom grow if they were lucky enough to have such a thing here.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

The stone serpent-woman listens, looks at your magics and says
    You are very talented. I would not like to strike you with my spear but I will do it if you try to come closer. ...

She makes a strange crackling noise as if something inside of her was moving.

But it's plain to me that you know Chrnogora. He was always a leader, he always took charge and acted while we others pondered. When we spent ages thinking how lovely it would be to have children, the way the softer races do, he went and looked for a way to do so. He talked us into making a terrible deal with the fae. He convinced us that what we could not achieve on our own, could be done if united with something else. So we gave of our essence to the fae, to guard and to grow into new beings, children of stone. As payment they took our service.

She sighs.

If you see Chrnogora, please tell him Derake stands ever vigilant, as agreed, as ordered.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Hushedfly tries to remember that name and message. "Alright. I will."

"And what of the others? There is not much back the other way. Two of my kind, captured by xvarts, must have come through here then. So how did they get passed you?"

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

Derake says
    The master and mistress of the realm were present. Their retinue I allowed to pass. It was a number of blueskinned creatures of your size. Perhaps they were the xvarts you speak of.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

"Do you mean Feytricker?" Hushedfly asks.

"Or... do you mean a Faerie lord and lady?" That got her anxious and curious. Maybe she should be scared too? But she didn't really feel that way.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

The Overbeing gave this demi-plane to Caerwyn and Porpherio to rule. I don't know much of them. Nevertheless the nature of my contract informs me when they are present or allow one to pass. This Feytricker I know not. The name is unfamiliar.

The stonecreature doesn't feel like she's lying. She seems quite open and plain.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    You might have seen a painting on a stone wall in Notagem. The painting would be somewhat cruder than this but nevertheless, the name oft the thing is 'Overbeing'
    https://64.media.tumblr.com/575b4f5b...smlo1_1280.jpg

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

Caerwyn. Porpherio. Hmm.

Hushedfly didn't think she had heard those names before. And it didn't seem like there was much else to do here, unless she wanted to anger this guardian and get skewered.

"I see. Farewell then, Derake, and may we meet again under better circumstances.."

Didn't look like she or any of her 'friends' would get past here today. But maybe they had some leads they could look into. Hushedfly will head back to the portal.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

There are no obstacles on your way back.

Themouse and Thistle are standing right next to the gate, they look like they've been trying to listen what was happening in the other plane. When you reappear, they're obviously relieved.

Thistle says
    Did you succeed?

Themouse comments
    I'm happy we didn't lose you.

Thistle continues with her questions
    Is someone chasing you? Should we be scared?

Themouse gives a wary smile and then says
    Maybe we should move a little bit away from the gate to discuss. What did you find?

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Hushedfly shakes her head. "I wouldn't say I succeeded. Or.. maybe I would? I'm not being chased either."

She takes a breath and tries to explain. "That portal. It leads to a demi-plane. I think Crystal and Buffalove are beyond there. A statue said so. But.. the way ahead is guarded by some other creature made of stone."

"I don't think the three of us could get by her. Even if we did.. I couldn't tell you what is after. But I think we need some information. She said something about Fae keeping us gnomes. And a contract. And some names. Maybe I should ask my dad what he knows..."
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2020-12-28 at 05:33 AM.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

The others agree with you. They're very intrested in your story. Neither one wants to go fight the earth elemental.

The natural course of events is that you climb back up the tunnel and look for your father.

You find Arclight in the process of preparing his daily spells. Your mother is meanwhile trying to teach your brother to put on pants.

It's a relatively calm moment in the day, or night as it may be.

Anydots looks at the three of you and comments.
    All wet. Dry yourself up with this towel I made. Even you'll eventually get cold otherwise.

Thistle and Themouse take off their clothes and dry them over a fire that Anydots has set up. There's a crack in the ceiling that allows alot of the smoke to escape all the way up and out but the cave does get smoky when she has the fire going on for a longer time.

Arclight finishes his studies and messages you
    I can see in your look that you're expecting me to finish. I'm sorry I couldn't be faster. I want to be prepared every day and spellcraft takes time. What's on your mind dear?

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Hushedfly messages her father back. 'Have you ever heard the names Caerwyn and Porpherio?'
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2020-12-29 at 06:48 PM.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

Arclight ponders the words a little and then just messages
    No.

A moment later he continues
    They don't really sound like gnome's names. Are they fae? Caerwyn sounds sylvan, it could mean 'Fair fortress' or 'Beautiful wine'. It's a name that would suit a warsome lord as much as a dryad. Porpherio just sounds like it means 'Purple'. They're a curious combination, both fitting together and not.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

Hushedly messages, 'I think they are Fae names...'

'We think we've found where Crystal and Buffalove are. But the way is blocked by a stone guardian. She seems so confused, though. She doesn't even know what a gnome is!'

'How long have the Fae been gone? There must be some way to prove that they have left, or that we are gnomes...'

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

Arclight listens and then messages after a little bit of thinking
    A stone guardian? That sounds confusing. Elementals of earth and stone have been our friends since the beginnings of the rebellion ...at least. It's been over three centuries since the cataclysm, since the faeries disappeared ...for the most part. Warriors of stone can be very dangerous. Even fomorians couldn't destroy the mightiest of them.

Arclight then pauses for a while to think deeply.
    We are what we are. What somebody calls us is just a name. So if someone wants to give us a name, it doesn't change us. If you want to convince someone to use a name, it's not a matter of proof, it's about talking them into it or ordering them. Minds of stone can be very set on their ways though. Maybe we could find some other creature of earth to mediate...

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Hushedfly nods. With the final piece of her father's advice, she thought she had the perfect idea of who to talk to. It would just be a matter of finding him...

(I think she's been sitting at the fire the whole time with the other two).

She quietly says to Thistle and Themouse, "There's a stone giant I met a some days ago outside our caves. I think he may be able to help. We just need to find him."

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

Thistle is thrilled about the idea of meeting a stone-giant. She's obviously quite curious to see how big a giant is.

Themouse smiles. It seems he might have hear of the creature but he keeps his thoughts to himself.

The three of you leave to the outside. Snows are almost all gone now. There's more daylight every day. Today is rainy though. It's evening. The trip to the root of Black peak is uneventful enough.

But Chrnogora is nowhere in sight.

Themouse says
    We could start circling the base either to the north or the south.

Thistle says
    I think it would be more fun to climb up looking.

Themouse answers
    More dangerous too. Are you a good climber?

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Hushedfly shrugs. "Don't think I am that great of a climber."

"Chrnogora said something about orcs or goblins and went off that way." She points at the direction he appeared to leave those days back.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

Themouse states
    The western passes? That could mean to the north of here or to the south of here. But the braves who found Highpick went southwest and they also saw goblins. Let's go southwest.

Thistle whispers to you.
    When he's not all shy, he's kind of bossy.
    Then she giggles.

Lacking a reason to go north, the group starts heading south. You walk about an hour looking for a way westwards.

Then you hear a bleat. And a small goat jumps to you from somewhere in the dark.
    Gnomes! Oh, you're not the same gnomes. But you're not bad gnomes are you?
    The goat says.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Wow a talking goat?!

Hushedfly looks a little surprised at first and shakes her head. "We aren't bad gnomes.. wait, there are other bad gnomes?"

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

The goat says.
    I'm a goat.
    He jumps around a few times and twiddles his tail at you.
    See!

Themouse says
    Yes, you are?

The goat continues
    I'm a good goat but there's bad goats too. I know. My brother's been bullying me. He pushed me down a ledge once and I got stuck between boulders. It was a gnome that helped me out.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh.. I see..." Hushedfly says.

"Well. It was nice to meet you."

She turns as if to go but then stops to ask, "Um, hey. Have you ever met a rock giant named Chrnogora?"

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

The goat nods several times.
    I heard my parents say there's goblins scouting southwest. Chrnogora usually looks for them. He's certain to be there. I'm sure. I'm sure.

The goat follows you for another hour but then says he's getting tired.

You continue on your way for two more hours until you find a promising-looking pass towards the west.

About an hour more through the pass and you do see the familiar form of Chrnogora, a rocky humanoid large enough to be a small hill on his own. He's sitting and resting and you're approaching him from behind him.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

Hushedfly looks at the others a bit awkwardly before speaking up.

"Chrnogora. Hello."

That was it for now. The rock giant was normally extremely talkative, so she figured she would let him do the talking for now.