New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Gnomecalypse [5e solo hexcrawl]

The huge elemental turns around. It looks tense for a moment but then slumps just a little.
    Gnomes. That's better than goblins. I was already considering whether I should bury you in a rockslide or just smack you up. But now I don't have to.

Chronogora looks back westwards one more time and yells toward the other end of the pass.
    I'll get back to you!

Then he gives his attention to the three of you once more.

Thistle says
    You're really large for a nature spirit.

Chrnogora goes:
    That's the kind of nature that I have.

Themouse turns to you and asks
    Is this the one we're looking for? He seems dangerous.

Chrnogora emits a crackling noise and then says
    I am dangerous... if you're a bad guy. Did you come to see me swat goblins around? You missed the best parts. I clapped a goblin between my hands right there.
    He shows some red splatter in his palms.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

"Umm, no. I don't think I want to see that.. but good job?"

She wasn't sure what to actually think of those goblins. Maybe they were the bad gnomes that goat was talking about.

"Actually, I met a guardian named Derake. She wanted me to tell you that she stands ever vigilant, as agreed and ordered."

"You must have known her a long time ago, right?"

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Chrnogora smiles.
    Oh, Derake. She's so stuck-up. ... But that's good! That shows she can handle the pressure. If she continues to do what she needs, she might turn into a real diamond.

Chrnogora makes the crackling noise again. You suspect it's laughing.
    How did you end up meeting her?

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh, well.. we were looking for our missing tribemates. I guess somehow they were taken through a demi-plane she was guarding.."

"It's just strange, though. She said she had to be there for as long as the Fae keep the gnomes, but didn't you say they were driven off? My dad says they've been gone for 300 years."
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-01-05 at 03:32 PM.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Chrnogora reacts with anger, enough to lose his pronounciation
    Vot? She doesn't knov? Raargh! Dis makes me so ... so ... aggravated. Hov could she not have heard...

He punches the mountain wall which surprisingly makes little noise as his fist more or less slides in it. Nevertheless this act seems to calm him a little.

He leans forward so that his face comes close to you.
    She should have stopped that contract thousands of years ago. I thought she meant that she was doing, you know, guarding the way I'm doing it. I thought she was somewhere on the eastern isles or north and had a nice mountain of her own.. And now, instead... I hear she's still doing work for those treasonous faeries.
    When we found out that the faeries were not taking care of gnomes but rather that they were abusing you, we had a meeting. We don't really like having meetings but we had one. We debated and some of us chose to call the contract void and start fighting the faeries to free you, you, gnomes.

See they cheated us. They told us that gnomes were not yet fully grown. That you were just seeds that would require constant supervision... the way plants do. Since you were part fey we thought that could be true. They told us we should keep away until their work was done, that we would just spoil the crop before you were ready. You were so little. We thought you were going to grow to resemble us more.

And now Derake is still somewhere helping fae of all things.

Chrnogora makes a weird grimace. He tenses his arms and sits down. He squeezes his eyes shut and then he stands up. Where he sat a moment ago is a diamond, the size of a gnome's fist. He picks it up and gives it to you.

Give that to Derake if you see her. She'll know it's from me. Tell her that the contract is fulfilled and she is free of it.
    What a wonderful coincidence that you passed this way. Now Derake can be in peace. Can I help you with something? You do this great thing for us. Can I help you now?

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

Hushedfly picks the diamond up and looks at it.

(did he really just s**t out a diamond?)

"Um.. is there some kind of message in this?" she asks skeptically.

"The.. the thing is that Derake doesn't even really know what a gnome is.. I told her I was one and she thought the idea was absurd. We are called child of stone, right? But.. we aren't really made of stone."

"I think even if she believes this is from you, she is prone to not believe my words."

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    He's an elemental so he doesn't actually have organs such as a gut or colon but he did create a diamond out of his internal materials.

Hm. That makes sense. I will teach you a few words in terran. That should help her believe.

... He proceeds to do so, just a few sentences, not the full language. But you feel that given some time he could teach you more of it.

After the lesson Chrnogora goes back to an earlier thing you raised.

You said earlier that gnomes are not made of stone. You are though. Your bones are a kind of stone. Your essence too is partially of stone. But it's not the elemental stone that we're made of, it's a combination of deep stone and faery essence that created you. You're something new and I don't understand all of it. It's due to your origin that you have the natural traits that you have. There's new spirits in the land, a new power. And it's all about you. You'd need an oracle to understand it better I think.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Hushedfly nods. "Okay. Thank you..."

"Are you going to keep killing goblins now?" she asks, her curiosity getting the better of her.

"Actually, have you ever met bad gnomes? Or do you think goblins are what a confused person might think a bad gnome is?"

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Chrnogora gets a serious look when the talk comes back to the matter of goblins.
    This land is still weak. Goblins bring an alien magic with them that doesn't belong here. It's not the only one. I will defend Blackpeak's sides from anything that comes. Anything. That's pressure. Keeps Chrnogora strong.

Then when you ask about bad gnomes...
    You're all a bit unruly in comparison to us stonepeople but ... you're so ... cute. I don't know. Maybe a mind that's capable of all kinds of thoughts is even better than one that's crystal. Hum. No. That makes no sense. Stonemind is best but you're still cute. Maybe you develop stoneminds later? Maybe gnomes need some kind of purification? It's too complex though. I'll stick to defending you. You can develop as you want.

Thistle says
    I don't think I'll develop a stonemind, thank you. Teaching those words was interesting though. I'd like to learn more. Maybe I could then sing to stones.

Themouse says
    You're a good defender. Please continue to do so.

Chronogora beams at the minor praise
    I will!

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

"Hm. Stonemind? I don't know what that means. It must be hard to think like someone else, but I'm glad we can still just talk.."

Hushedfly smiles slightly at Thistle. "That could be interesting."

She nods and looks around at everyone. "I guess we should head back."

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

Chrnogora waves his hand to you as you're leaving
    See you kids. Learn to deal with pressure!

Themouse says
    Well, we got what we needed.

Thistle ponders
    So we're somekind of half-faery-half-stonethings. I wonder if my tribe's oracle knows something about it.

Themouse continues
    I think we should head back to the faerygate tomorrow. I'll come with you this time.

Thistle cheers
    Me too!

The walk back home is uneventful but when you're back home you find your mother crying. Apparently today even sewing seams isn't enough to calm her.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

"Mother, what's wrong?" Hushedfly asks.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, Hushedfly.
    She weeps and hugs you.
    I'm proud of you, but I miss you too. I love your father and brother and it carries me through it usually. But now that you're so often away I miss our conversations.

She looks at you like a sad puppy.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

"...I'm sorry. We were doing something kind of important," Hushedfly says.

She looks down at the diamond clutched in her hands. And she also felt bad about going out at nights.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

I just like to be near my daughter. I'm sorry. I shouldn't pressure you with such things.
    She hugs you a little bit longer and then let's go.
    That is a fine diamond you've got there. Would you like me to make you a carrybag for it. It must be inconvenient to just carry it around like that. I could make straps on the bag so you could have it over your shoulder... or I could make two straps so you could have it on your back. I could measure it well so it doesn't slow you down.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Hushedfly nods hesitantly. "I guess a little pouch would be helpful just to make sure I don't lose it. It's pretty important."

She looked at her mother again. "Please, mom, nothing fancy."

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

Anydots says
    I don't do too fancy. I leave the decorative stuff to those that do inferior stitching. Just a good bag, I promise.

Anydots has a half-made bag at the ready. She does some adjustments and attaches straps to create an end result that looks a bit like
    https://www.zalando.fi/gusti-leder-r...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

She seems happy giving the bag to you.
    There you go.

And then she just stares at you for a while. You know she wants to be near things that make her happy. She likes direct contact.

After a day's rest you feel better and ready to go for new adventures. Tummy is full and you recover your spells.

Themouse and Thistle arrive to seek you.
    Shall we go talk to the guardian?

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

Hushedfly nods. And she turns to see if her family was overhearing any of this. Maybe it concerns them?

She'll head back down the watery tunnel with the others. Before entering the portal she warns them of the ooze thing and advises that they just avoid it and move quickly.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ogre in the Playground

You see your mother look worried and your father give nod.
    I know you'll do good
    he messages.

The trip down the waterway is much as the first time. The green gate too is much as it used to be.

This time you enter as a trio. You've prepared the others to run and run you do. You see the ooze quite easily. It's on your right as you dash for the tunnel to the oracle. Your steps echo in a weird out of rhytm fashion. A dark shape manifests behind you and starts to chase you.

Thistle casts minor illusion to create a yelling voice near the ooze. The dark shape is drawn by the noise and you continue to run until you reach the chamber of the oracle. The lights in the walls are about as bright as they were last time suggesting you might get a single answer to a question if you wish.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Titan in the Playground

Hushedfly messages the others 'This statue, it calls itself an oracle. It answers questions, but I think it can only answer one more. I'm wondering if we could actually give it more power, somehow.'

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

Thistle says:
    Oh oracle, is there a way we can get you to give more than one answer?

The oracle replies
    Yes. You only need to wait. I gain more power once a month has passed since the last answered question.

The lights in the walls die down.

Thistle smiles.

Themouse sighs
    I think there could have been better questions.

Thistle now frowns
    Well we thought that was a good and important question.

Themouse mutters
    But it wasn't timely. You shouldn't just take things, like oracles.

Thistle says defensively
    Maybe that Derake will answer more of our questions if we're nice? Let's go talk to her.
    She starts walking further on and then turns around after a few steps to see if you're following.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

Hushedfly shrugs and says, "I honestly would have asked something similar. Like a way to somehow give the oracle some more power. But I suppose that would probably have to take our blood or some other kind of sacrifice..." She makes an uncomfortable face.

"Anyway, I wouldn't be sure what else to ask right now anyway, so I guess it's fine." She'll lead the others onward, preemptively pulling the diamond out of her pouch and holding it slightly forward.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

Before you leave, Themouse picks the whistle along.
    This looks interesting.

Then the group walks along to the cave of Derake. The puddle of mud is churning. The stream is sparkling and Derake picks her weapon up hearing you three approaching.

Halt! I guard the way forward. I warn you not to test me.

Thistle pushes you forward gently.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

"Um. It's me again. I've brought a message from Chrnogora.."

She will show and offer up the diamond, and recite those phrases in Terran that she was taught.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    I don't think I was ever told what they meant, though?

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

Derake is initially confused. She waves her hand and a pseudopod of mud rises from the pool to grab the diamond. The mud then brings the gemstone to Derake's hands.

It is Chrnogora's. You couldn't have taken it from him if he didn't want you to have it.

You say in Terran words that mean Derake, these gnomes bring an important message. The Fae have betrayed us. The contract stands no more. Come talk to me.

A curious mixture of expressive feeling is visible on Derake's face.
    It's unmistakable. He's taught you the words. You speak in Chrnogora's accent. So it must be true.

Derake slithers toward you. She attaches herself to the wall to avoid wading into the mudpit.
    Then she pokes Themouse gently.
    Don't touch me.
    he says annoyed.

Thistle runs at the stone statue to hug her.
    Children of stone. Finally.
    Derake utters.

She gives you the diamond back.
    That might yet be useful for you. I've made mistakes long enough. I need to go find Chronogora and find out everything that's been happening. I'd love to stay with you longer but I'm afraid I'd make more of a fool of myself. Thank you for everything you've done.

The mudpit calms down, the mud churns no more.
    Derake starts to slither toward the gate.

Themouse warns her.
    You should know there's other guardians there, a jelly monster and a creature of darkness and echoes.

Derake says
    Thank you once more for warning me. I will not allow them to stop me. I wish I had a gift of my own to give you.

She considers a moment and then she excretes from her head a blue stone which she gives to you. If ever you're pursued by someone, throw this into the ground. The ground will turn to mud and grab at anyone trying to cross it.

And then she's leaving.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

Well, Hushedfly would probably utter an apology or something about all this and what Derake was going through but she was seeming pretty determined to leave.

"Um, guys. How is she going to get to the surface after she goes through the portal?"

"Uh, Derake," she calls. "If you need help getting out we'll be right behind you. Soon as we find our friends.."
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2021-01-16 at 02:20 AM.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Derake answers
    I'm an elemental. I just meld into the stones and come out wherever I want. The elementals on that side will surely guide me towards Chrnogora.

Thistle asks
    There seem to be ... people in that mud, dead ones I assume. Would you care to help us bury them properly?

Derake hesitates
    Bury properly? People... Oh my. I hope none of those people were gnomes.

Themouse walks to the pool of mud. He stares at the mud and it starts to move slowly. It peels off and reveals a dead purple-skinned creature that somewhat resembles a very old and wrinkly gnome.
    Xvarts
    He says.

Derake returns to help first uncover the corpses of five xvarts.
    These ones tried to come without permission. It wasn't that long ago.

Themouse uncovers a few rings from the xvarts and removes them, seemingly thinking nothing of it.

Then Derake helps you bury the xvarts deeper, actually inside stone.

Thistle nods grimly.
    Now it's how it should be. ... Is that the way forward?
    Thistle asks, pointing at the second tunnel that leads upwards.

Derake nods
    Yes. That is what I was set to guard and protect. Now I wish you find whatever you're looking there.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

Hushedfly look at the others. "Well.. do you want me to go ahead by myself again? Or..."

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

Themouse asks Derake
    What's the next guardian up there?

Derake says
    A wall of water. I don't know how to pass it, I'm sorry.

Themouse says
    Sounds like scouting far distant from us would do no good against that. Would you mind going first anyway? Just to be sure.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

Hushedfly nods and cautiously makes her way forward to secretly explore what awaited them next...

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    stealth: (1d20+5)[7]
    advantage: (1d20+5)[12]

perception: (1d20+4)[6]