New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Default Aarakocra Barbarian Grappler

Hi Forum,

With the new Tasha's book coming out and the rule of being able to move racial stat boosts around I've started looking at weird things you can do with it. I took an Aarakocra and decided to build a Barbarian/Rogue grappler. My groups current campaign is level 5 so I have built around that. The idea was to grapple people then use your bonus action to dash straight up. If you are raging you will have advantage on the grapple check and I planned to use the expertise from the rogue on athletics and perception. What feats would be good to take at 4? What barbarian path is good for grappling?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Race Aarakocra (+2 Str,+1 Con)

Class: Rogue 2 / Barbarian 3

Stats
    Str 13+2=15
    Dex 14
    Con 15+1=16
    Int 10
    Wis 12
    Cha 8

Expertise: Athletics, Perception

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Aarakocra Barbarian Grappler

Make sure your DM is on board with #1 flying around with a heavy load, #2 flying straight up despite how bird flight works, and #3 doing both at the same time.

Note that while you are grappling a creature your own speed is halved. Your best scenario is starting your turn next to a creature and while already raging, successfully grappling them, and then move+dash 50 feet up for 5d6 (17.5 average) damage. Compare that to a 'normal' Barbarian at level 5 doing two greatsword attacks while raging: 2x(2d6+6) = 24 average (w/o factoring in crits).

Build advice:
    If you can do 27 point buy, go with 14+2/14/15+1/10/10/8 or 14+2/14/15+1/8/10/10 for stats. This will give you a +3 to strength instead of a +2.

Barbarian + Rogue has good synergy with Rapier + Reckless Attack to reliably deal Sneak Attack's extra damage. Sneak Attack requires a ranged or finesse weapon but you can still use Str to attack & damage with the finesse weapon (rapier). Having the rapier only uses one hand so you're free to attack while grappling, should you choose to do so.

Eagle Totem Barbarian grants a bonus action dash while raging and causes opportunity attacks made against you to have disadvantage while raging. This can substitute for Cunning Action as long as you're raging.

An alternative build would be Eagle Totem Barbarian 5, for the level 4 ASI get Str +2, Mobile, or Prodigy (for Athletics)/Brawny (UA) if allowed. Since you have Extra Attack you could potentially grapple two different creatures or make one weapon attack and one grapple attempt against the one creature. After this you could pick up the two levels of Rogue for Expertise and Cunning Action, a 6th level of Barbarian for Bear Totem's double carrying capacity if needed, and then some extra Rogue levels with the Scout subclass to get some extra movement on a reaction.
    Last edited by CheddarChampion; 2020-10-23 at 12:46 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by CheddarChampion View Post
    Make sure your DM is on board with #1 flying around with a heavy load, #2 flying straight up despite how bird flight works, and #3 doing both at the same time.
    I always confirm things with DMs before I bring them into the games. I enjoy shenanigans so its good to get approval first haha.

Note that while you are grappling a creature your own speed is halved. Your best scenario is starting your turn next to a creature and while already raging, successfully grappling them, and then move+dash 50 feet up for 5d6 (17.5 average) damage. Compare that to a 'normal' Barbarian at level 5 doing two greatsword attacks while raging: 2x(2d6+6) = 24 average (w/o factoring in crits).
    Ya I wasn't really trying to make anything broken.

Build advice:
    If you can do 27 point buy, go with 14+2/14/15+1/10/10/8 or 14+2/14/15+1/8/10/10 for stats. This will give you a +3 to strength instead of a +2.
    Strength was going to be my primary focus when leveling up. I figured with the expertise in Athletics from Rogue and advantage on the check from raging I wouldn't need a super high strength. Currently at level 5 I would have a +8 to the check.

Barbarian + Rogue has good synergy with Rapier + Reckless Attack to reliably deal Sneak Attack's extra damage. Sneak Attack requires a ranged or finesse weapon but you can still use Str to attack & damage with the finesse weapon (rapier). Having the rapier only uses one hand so you're free to attack while grappling, should you choose to do so.

Eagle Totem Barbarian grants a bonus action dash while raging and causes opportunity attacks made against you to have disadvantage while raging. This can substitute for Cunning Action as long as you're raging.

An alternative build would be Eagle Totem Barbarian 5, for the level 4 ASI get Str +2, Mobile, or Prodigy (for Athletics)/Brawny (UA) if allowed. Since you have Extra Attack you could potentially grapple two different creatures or make one weapon attack and one grapple attempt against the one creature. After this you could pick up the two levels of Rogue for Expertise and Cunning Action, a 6th level of Barbarian for Bear Totem's double carrying capacity if needed, and then some extra Rogue levels with the Scout subclass to get some extra movement on a reaction.
    I liked the Barbarian/Rogue synergy but didn't know about scout. I love that and will now need 3 levels of rogue.
    Last edited by Nerdguy88; 2020-10-23 at 01:03 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator

Aarakocra Barbarian grappler is well known. You COULD dip Rogue for Expertise, but it's not necessary if the DM will let you take the skill feats from the UA. Brawny gives you Athletics proficiency and/or Expertise in it.

Aarakocra Totem Barbarian 5

15+2 Str
    14 Dex
    13+1 Con
    8 Int
    13 Wis
    8 Cha

Take the Brawny feat at level 4 which gives you +1 Str bumping that up to 18
    Take Mobile at level 8
    Max Str at level 12

Barbarian 3 take Eagle Totem to allow Dashing with Bonus Action.
    Barbarian 6 take Bear since since it doubles your carry capacity(ask your DM how this effects your grappling)

At level 5, your fly speed is 60ft and when you take Mobile, it becomes 70ft.

This would be a fun build, but it is definitely a gimmick build. Your damage is "fun" but it's going to be low compared to a barbarian that just attacks with weapons. But of course you'll be able to make unarmed attacks against the enemies you're grappling too which will help.

Ask your DM how grappling enemies will effect your movement.
    Last edited by CTurbo; 2020-10-23 at 07:50 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CTurbo View Post
    This would be a fun build, but it is definitely a gimmick build. Your damage is "fun" but it's going to be low compared to a barbarian that just attacks with weapons. But of course you'll be able to make unarmed attacks against the enemies you're grappling too which will help.
    You can always do your weapon attacks, and do this whenever a good opportunity appears. Like when you can drop the opponent off a cliff, or behind a wall where he can't easily rejoin the fight.

Watch out for attacks that can make you prone while you're in the air. You could be taking the same damage as the other guy.

Oh, and talk to your DM about dropping your opponent on other opponents.
    Last edited by Samayu; 2020-10-23 at 09:20 PM.