New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Any More Games Inspired by Paper Mario?

I got a Switch recently, and had Bug Fables: the Everlasting Sapling on my to-play list. Apparently, another game with paper mario style combat dropped last week, called Ikenfell.

For reference, paper mario games typically have lower difficulties, but the important parts are timing bits to increase/reduce damage given/taken, and all the numbers are low enough for you to easily count out yourself if you really need to or want to speed up an encounter.

Any more of these I should know about?

For reference:

Paper Mario 64 has the usual Mario story, but Mario gets companions and there's stories taking place between each star.
    Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door is the second game in the series, and adds a bunch of stuff to the previous game, including a new villain kidnapping Peach and chapters that go all over the place.
    Bug Fables: the Everlasting Sapling, uses a close art style to the previous, with a story about three bugs becoming licensed adventurers and setting off to recover mysterious artifacts.
    Ikenfell has a pixel art style. Fire Wielding not-Harry Potter goes to Blatant Hogwarts Ripoff, with multiple friends you can recruit to play through the story of discovering lost secrets/finding out what happened to her sister.

And no, the Paper Mario games after the first two don't count for this. I'm not saying they're bad, but that's not my question here.
    Last edited by sandmote; 2020-10-24 at 01:33 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Any More Games Inspired by Paper Mario?

I think you've already named all the ones that work with Paper Mario's original style to my knowledge, though I haven't played Inkenfell to say if its a PM-like.

I certainly can't think of any PM-likes aside from Bug Fables that I've ever played. or known of. or heard about.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

There's a recent-ish PC/Steam release that may or may not also be on Switch called Under Hero that has fighting relying on timing and tells, though it's not turn-based. It's also humorous, but wasn't as funny as the Marios, imo.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I haven't played Inkenfell to say if its a PM-like.
    I haven't gotten it yet (planning to finish the story for something else first), but it appears to fit. The two preview videos on the eShop have about one second of combat between them, but it shows two of your characters blocking an attack (with the little "great" popups). The rest shown focuses on the story, so presumably that's the main focus. Then the blurb below mentions timing as involved in making attacks too.

Quote Originally Posted by TaRix View Post
    There's a recent-ish PC/Steam release that may or may not also be on Switch called Under Hero that has fighting relying on timing and tells, though it's not turn-based. It's also humorous, but wasn't as funny as the Marios, imo.
    I completely forgot that existed, thanks. I'd had it recommended to me, but never really realized it was similar. Most of what I've seen compared it "time things to the music," which I struggle with.

Also, after a quick check there does appear to be a switch port.