New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Villainous Competition XXXVIII: Spooks and Spectres

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    Thank you for the incredibly swift judgement, AvatarVecna!
    No problem. This time I even opened all spoilers and did a Ctrl+F for "flaws" and there weren't any.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    No problem. This time I even opened all spoilers and did a Ctrl+F for "flaws" and there weren't any.
    Oooh, good idea. I should do that for the Crimson Scourge competition.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Nerdomancer in the Playground Moderator

DruidGuy

sort of, but not really a dispute:

Quote Originally Posted by arelshine
    Thank you for judging, AvatarVecna! I'm really glad you enjoyed my build.

I was contemplating whether or not I should submit this dispute, because I haven't seen it done before, but the proximity between my score an Pollyanna's convinced me I should submit.

You gave Arelshine a lot of credit for having 0 base class levels. While I wish that was the case, it isn't. I couldn't pull off the prerequisites without a rogue level - and though it fits thematically and is the favored class of doppelgangers, it's still there. You probably missed it because it's wrapped up with 2 of their templates - it seemed like the best way at the time. Making the table less cluttered on the one hand, not having two rows with the same CR on the other, and also just making sense timeline-wise.

Given your metric, I think it might drop Arelshine by a full point, putting them below Pollyanna. I wouldn't have bothered shooting my own build in the foot otherwise, but I feel it would not be very good sportsmanship on my part to gloss over that mistake and run away with a gold medal that isn't mine.

No further disputes from me, and thanks again for judging!
    Spoiler: Medals & Current Characters
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    More sources, more choices, more power. Welcome to D&D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee
    I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Thank you for judging, AvatarVecna! I'm really glad you enjoyed my build.

I was contemplating whether or not I should submit this dispute, because I haven't seen it done before, but the proximity between my score an Pollyanna's convinced me I should submit.

You gave Arelshine a lot of credit for having 0 base class levels. While I wish that was the case, it isn't. I couldn't pull off the prerequisites without a rogue level - and though it fits thematically and is the favored class of doppelgangers, it's still there. You probably missed it because it's wrapped up with 2 of their templates - it seemed like the best way at the time. Making the table less cluttered on the one hand, not having two rows with the same CR on the other, and also just making sense timeline-wise.

Given your metric, I think it might drop Arelshine by a full point, putting them below Pollyanna. I wouldn't have bothered shooting my own build in the foot otherwise, but I feel it would not be very good sportsmanship on my part to gloss over that mistake and run away with a gold medal that isn't mine.

No further disputes from me, and thanks again for judging!
    It's unorthodox, but I don't imagine anybody would complain. And this is one of the strengths of my approach to judging: it's easy to see how various people got scored on this vs that, and issue can be taken. For example, the first build had a single base class, and got +0.25 for it, while you "had" 0 base classes and got +0.5 for it. Your score will be adjusted down 0.25 to account for the difference, which isn't enough to change how the medals are distributed on its own. Maybe if Pollyanna makes some good points in her own favor, but for now you've still got gold even if you're not quite as far ahead now.

EDIT: I will need to account for Rogue in the Originality section as well, so we'll see how that goes. EDIT 2: Rogue is an obvious pick, but not quite on the same level as things like Human or Vecna-Blooded, for example.
    Last edited by AvatarVecna; 2021-01-13 at 08:52 PM.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

No disputes here. Thank you for judging AV

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Villainous Competition XXXVIII: Spooks and Spectres

Quote Originally Posted by daremetoidareyo View Post
    No disputes here. Thank you for judging AV
    Ditto. Thanks Avatar.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you for the incredibly swift judgement, AvatarVecna!
    "The Swift Judgement of Avatar Vecna" really sounds like the title of a fantasy novel.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Oh, no disputes here.

Thanks for the blitz judgment!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

So... Are the big reveal and the next round coming any time soon?

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

So... Are the big reveal and the next round coming any time soon?
    Also asking this. 5 builds, one dispute, and three people saying "no disputes". Even if we've got a holdout, are we ready to move on?

My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #101

DruidGuy

i'll get it up tonight or tmw. i have 18 pages of typed notes to review from the last week for a test on tuesday....
    Show

I mean, I have been assuming Jdizzlean looks like Nathan Fillion this whole time to start with...
    The Mod Life Crisis If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link

12. - Top - End - #102

DruidGuy

Entry Competitor Description Score 1 Total Placing
    [url=https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24809441&postcount=40]F'lautu Lance[/url] daremetoidareyo 16.5 16.5 Bronze
    Illithid Shadow Doctor Despair 14.00 14.0 5th/HM
    Draugorex Thurbane 16.00 16.0 4th
    Arelshine H_H_F_F 17.75 17.75 Gold
    [url=https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24809459&postcount=45]Pollyanna[/url] PoeticallyPsyco 17.50 17.50 Silver

grats to all, and thanks AV for stepping in at the final hour.

next round will be up sometime tmw
    Show

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Congrats everyone.

Once again my Achilles Heel has proven to be that I suck at writing lengthy backstory and motivation. I tend to keep it extremely brief because I'm not great at it.

It varies by judge, but often ends up biting me in the behind...

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Missed the gold by 0.25, d'oh! Ah, well, H_H_F_F's earned the victory. Funny that we both had a variant on 'monster doesn't know they're the monster, thinks someone/everyone else is instead'. Deep Cover as mechanical support for that idea was downright inspired, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Congrats everyone.

Once again my Achilles Heel has proven to be that I suck at writing lengthy backstory and motivation. I tend to keep it extremely brief because I'm not great at it.

It varies by judge, but often ends up biting me in the behind...
    I liked that you actually pulled off an Epic Destiny. I was toying with Eternal Hero for my little nightmare, to key off her ability to duplicate once she gets enough temp. HP, but ultimately decided it wasn't as good a fit as Shadowmaster. For starters, you have to embrace some CR/HD cheese just to make it to 24 HD. It also makes her literally unkillable, when her story is supposed to end with her being tragically put down by her former friends (though actually, eternal imprisonment could work just as well). And while refluffing it slightly to be drawing from the souls she has trapped and consumed instead of past incarnations would have been cool, I think Shadowmaster giving her the ability to weave dream into reality was both more powerful and slightly more fitting.

Great round all around; looking forward to the next one!
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Hey, my first gold in a GitP competition! Yay for me! Thanks for the compliments, PoeticallyPsyco.

Good round all around. I originally thought Polly would grab the gold, and Draugorex the HM, but I was hoping for silver.

Funny enough, I really thought I was screwed once AvatarVecna decided to judge (thanks again for that, by the way!) While I think he's an excellent judge, I think me and him have very different judging philosophies, especially when it comes to elegance and originality. Getting the gold was a welcomed surprise.

Well done, everyone! I don't feel I have much to say about Arelshine, as I already said everything within the entry, but I'd be glad to read how everyone else developed their ideas.

This was my first time in the villainous competition, and I really enjoyed the experience. Hope to see you all next round!

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

I had a blast scrolling through levels of wizard spells to spew out of a backside on discord because despite being old, I’m still 11 when it comes to fart innuendo

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you al, for udnerstanding.

That alone helps at least a,oittle bit, as I was treally trying to get back to judging again and again...and failing. And I am normally someone who keeps their promises come highwater or Quarantine....just not this time, sigh.

In case an exited Judge can still do it, my HM would go to Dragaurex, for the almost elegant way to pull off that many contradictions.
    And cause its a Spiderman expy. Sue me ^^
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”