New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Ducktales (2017) part 2 "Let's Get Dangerous"

So here was the previous thread, it has since been closed so I made a new one.

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...cktales-(2017)

-----

So Disney decided to make the 45 minute Darkwing Duck episode of Ducktales ("Let's Get Dangerous") free on YouTube.

(eager to watch this episode tomorrow but also to discuss it with the community)
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Ducktales (2017) part 2 "Let's Get Dangerous"

Be advised it starts slow but picks up steadily starting about, oh, 20 minutes in. It might be the most Huey-centric episode since AstroBOYD, and he's not the main star.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Be advised it starts slow but picks up steadily starting about, oh, 20 minutes in. It might be the most Huey-centric episode since AstroBOYD, and he's not the main star.
    Any amazing voice actor work in this episode? (It will be watched tomorrow), if I recall one of the characters in this episode was originally voiced by Tim Curry those 20+ something years ago in the those two other series.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

One of the villains is conspicuously silent. Is it because his original voice actor died, maybe?

Spoiler
    Show
    (Cue Launchpad and Drake: "Well, technically, Bushroot isn't really a villain, per se...")

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh-hohoho!

Spoiler: Let's Get Dangerous-- Nerd stuff
    Show
    I've been wondering about a version of Legend of The Chaos God since this series began and now Solego get's namedropped? Heck yes.

6. - Top - End - #6

Well that was interesting. Young Della and Emo Donald may be more fun than the triplets.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Emo tween Donald.
    'F' is the fire that rains from the Sky
    'U' for Uranium, BOMB!
    'N' is for No Survivors...

8. - Top - End - #8

Oh, other detail I've learned due to actually reading the credits: Zeus is voiced by Michael Chiklis.

9. - Top - End - #9

Figures Scrooge's problem with Santa Claws is that he stopped him from gouging people on coal deliveries.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Been watching some other season 3 Ducktales episodes and honestly Let's Get Dangerous is one of the weaker episodes, relying on nostalgia and callbacks to tell the story.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Been watching some other season 3 Ducktales episodes and honestly Let's Get Dangerous is one of the weaker episodes, relying on nostalgia and callbacks to tell the story.
    As someone who never saw DD originally, that was my impression as well. A lot of it was clearly (and understandably) aimed at those who knew who all these villains were, and got the classic Darkwing Duck references. As a stand-alone episode, though, it wasn't all that.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

12. - Top - End - #12

Frankly, it's also way to drawn out for what's there. Like they wrote a standard half-hour episode and then had to stretch it to an hour.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

So, Youtube just showed me about six videos with titles along the lines of "Duck Tales cancelled"?
    Resident Vancian Apologist

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Probably due to Disney announcing this is the last season and we'll get a "proper" finale in 2021.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

15. - Top - End - #15

Makes sense. They really aren't selling people on the series any more, as witnessed by how commenting here has fallen off from where it was back in season one. Also, they don't seem to know how to use their pieces. I don't think Mark Beaks (supposed to be their new break out villain) has had more than a cameo this season, ditto the Beagle Boys (the Beagles!) and Flintheart Glomgold.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't think Mark Beaks (supposed to be their new break out villain) has had more than a cameo this season, ditto the Beagle Boys (the Beagles!) and Flintheart Glomgold.
    The problem with these 3 groups is they are all "local Duckburg" villains*. Thus you need to tell stories with them that are local and not adventure stories in a new place where the new place is part of what makes the story interesting. That said local Duckburg stories allow you opportunities to grow either individual characters per an episode and look at their motivations, backstory, drive as an animating force; Local Duckburg stories also allow you opportunities to grow reciprocal relationships such as two characters lets say Dewey and Webbie to grow closer, or Huey and Louie to explore how they are each other's side of the same chaos with one being more orderly and the other more spontaneous and chaotic.

*Glomgold is the exception of the 3 antagonists for his wealthy and pettiness means he has the opportunity and motive to follow clan McDuck in adventures, you need not set Glomgold in a Duckburg episode for he can travel the world or go in mysterious realms like playing golf for he is Scrooge's foil. Mark Beats has the money and power but never the motive to explore these new places, he is just merely move fast and break things with technology and media that seems all too real now-a-days.

------

One thing that needs to be explored now a days is how streaming allows you to "pause" cartoons and then relaunch them 2 or 3 years later in a way that is much harder to do with live action casts. You can literally write 52 episodes, film them, and then pause everything creating a huge backlog of content only to relaunch the show a few years later after giving the writters time to massage the stories in a way that feels comfortable.

Why isn't this done more? The only thing that makes sense to me is that this is less profitable to do so with how Union Contracts such as Writers Guild of America work with how you get paid for 10 episodes vs 13 episodes vs 26 episodes vs 52 episodes and so on. Does someone else have some information or just want to voice an opinion?

17. - Top - End - #17

Content you're sitting on is content that is not making you money while it still costs you money to produce and maintain.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Content you're sitting on is content that is not making you money while it still costs you money to produce and maintain.
    Unfinished content takes time to make and money to make. Sometimes it is cheaper to pay writers money and have them with good products and ready while actors and animators are doing other projects and only redirect the animation studio and voice actors to your show when you have the scripts finalized and you can "film it" all at once.

Of course how you release those 10, 13, 26, 52 episodes is up to you and you should try to make the most money to maximize revenue via keeping the buzz going and extending the subscription time with streaming or advertising time with broadcast and cable. You are not selling just content you are also selling buzz where people are hyped for your content and thus they either maintain their streaming subscriptions or they tune in if its cable or broadcast.

-----

Sorry my brain is thinking about these things due to the Warner Brothers / Movie Films / HBO Max news about movies. Animation has some lucky advantages where it is easier to get things all together and break apart teams compared to live action filming.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

This is good Nostalgia

The song is originally from The Goofy Movie

20. - Top - End - #20

Still no news on when the final season resumes.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

Still no news on when the final season resumes.
    Will it resume?

My understanding was they were just abandoning the show.
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    Will it resume?

They are going to air the final episodes sometime in 2021 with a season finale.

The same statement said 75 episodes and 15 shorts and by my count 65 episodes have aired by the end of Nov 2020.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    Will it resume?

Just saw a tweet from one of the actors a few days ago that they'd finished voice recording for the rest of the season, so I think we can be confident that things will come up.
    If you like my thoughts, you'll love my writing. Visit me at www.mishahandman.com.

24. - Top - End - #24

No new episodes on the monthly preview. Still.

Do have a couple new episodes of Big Hero 6, though. Not sure that I care, since the latest season feels like they're trying to make a more kid friendly TTG.

25. - Top - End - #25

Next episode drops a week from today. Gandra Dee is back!

26. - Top - End - #26

Well that was underwhelming. I should have guessed from the title that Mark Beaks would be the villain, which generally makes for a bad episode. The thirty seconds or so of Bradford at the end provided all the villain cred the episode happened.

Next week, The Lost Cargo of Kit Cloudkicker.

27. - Top - End - #27

Dewey may have finally started to mature a little. They really are ending this if they're getting rid of one of the pre-dominant plot points.

28. - Top - End - #28

And they've announce the upcoming episodes. Monday is The Life and Crimes of Scrooge McDuck. And the three parter The Final Adventure is on the Ides of March.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Hah! There's is a sign on Kit's bathroom door that says "The Woods".
    'F' is the fire that rains from the Sky
    'U' for Uranium, BOMB!
    'N' is for No Survivors...

30. - Top - End - #30

A joke so subtle I missed it. And a funnier joke than most of the humor in the episode.