New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Series with Southern accent

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    I wouldn't really recommend any scripted show to study Southern accents. A lot of the accents aren't genuine, and even when an actor speaks with a native Southern accent, the show may exaggerate it for comedic value.
    I say I say, Foghorn Leghorn takes issue with that!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

As long as you don't care which southern accent, just watch college football. The color men almost always have some southern accent.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

3. - Top - End - #33
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Unrelated, but I had to stop and Google what a 'color man' was in context of football. Very glad I did.

4. - Top - End - #34

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Unrelated, but I had to stop and Google what a 'color man' was in context of football. Very glad I did.
    Same, I was super confused at first.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

I feel like the less...ambiguous term he was looking for is "commentator".

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by thompur View Post
    "Green Acres", "Petticoat Junction"
    Green Acres & Petticoat Junction are not set in "The South", they're more of a general rural setting, somewhere in the Midwest. IIRC, Chicago was the nearest big city.

A TV show with some good southern accents is Designing Women. Dixie Carter, Annie Potts & Delta Burke are all genuine southerners.

I grew up in California, but I spent a lot of summers with my father's parents who were from Louisiana. I lived in Connecticut for several years, and listened to Prairie Home Companion a lot. So people are always making wildly inaccurate guesses about where I'm from.

One more thing: For an authentic Loo-siyana accent try Justin Wilson, the Cajun Cook.
    Last edited by brionl; 2020-11-19 at 01:39 PM.
    'F' is the fire that rains from the Sky
    'U' for Uranium, BOMB!
    'N' is for No Survivors...

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Watch Discovery channel's "Moonshiners". You meet a lot of interesting people and they are all real. And near as I can tell all from the South from various places.

Also, marvel in the weirdness of watching a show were they film people performing illegal acts for what, 9 10, seasons by now, yet it keeps going. (Yes I know they are legally covered, no one can prove they do anything other than boil water and pretend, but still).
    Why is what they film illegal?
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    Why is what they film illegal?
    Because they are breaking the law?

I'm not privy to the specific rules and regulations of the various states with regards to the production, distribution and sale of alcohol.

But the show makes a big point of it. Every. Single. Episode.

I guess the various law enforcement agencies depicted in the show are all running around for the sheer heck of it.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    You can find other "southern" accents in media. But note the distinctions. A Louisiana bayou accent will differ from a brassy Texan cowboy, or a lazy Georgia drawl. You'll even find varieties within a state, from the mountains to the coast.
    Indeed. I grew up in Louisiana, and there were BIG differences between the standard Louisiana accent, a New Orleans accent, and a full Cajun accent. My first roommate in college was from Cajun country, and I had a hard time understanding him at first because he peppered his speech with Creole...and according to him, most of the people down there were worse. He had worked night shifts at the McDonald's drive through, and the proper response to a drunk Cajun coming through was to pick something at random off the menu and assume they wouldn't notice.

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Because they are breaking the law?

I'm not privy to the specific rules and regulations of the various states with regards to the production, distribution and sale of alcohol.

But the show makes a big point of it. Every. Single. Episode.

I guess the various law enforcement agencies depicted in the show are all running around for the sheer heck of it.
    Hot take: they're not breaking the law. They claim they're breaking the law, but I don't believe them for a moment.

Editing is a massively powerful tool.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Bugbear in the Playground

Another good place to go to hear more authentic accents might be to find some podcasts. I can't suggest any specifically that use southern accents, but podcasts of the "2-5 people talking about a thing they like" format tend to be run by enthusiastic amateurs who would presumably be using their authentic accents and general ways of speaking rather than something coached or trained. Maybe someone else here could suggest something specific.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Algeh View Post
    Another good place to go to hear more authentic accents might be to find some podcasts. I can't suggest any specifically that use southern accents, but podcasts of the "2-5 people talking about a thing they like" format tend to be run by enthusiastic amateurs who would presumably be using their authentic accents and general ways of speaking rather than something coached or trained. Maybe someone else here could suggest something specific.
    Old Gods of Appalachia, which is a pretty interesting horror story podcast. I haven't heard more than two or three episodes yet, though.
    Resident Vancian Apologist