Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Default [DnD5E-OC] Adventures in the Borderlands OOC

Welcome everyone to the OOC thread of Adventures on the Borderlands!

I have a couple of things I'd like to talk about as we get started. And a little bit of tweaking/workshopping for a couple of characters. Nothing major, just little things to make it easier for me to cause you trouble.

Our party is as follows:
    • Zero Prime
    • JNAProductions
    • NontheistCleric
    • (Un)inspired
    • BestUserName
    • Silent_p

If everyone could please do me a favour and make one post, and one post only, with your current character. And no one post until everyone has posted. Just so I have everyone's sheet right up front where I can see it.

Once that's happened, if you want to discuss connections or pre-existing relationships, I'm all for that.

It might be tomorrow before I get the next couple of things underway. But my plan is to start as soon as possible to maintain momentum.

I'm excited about where this could all go!
    Last edited by truemane; 2020-10-25 at 04:56 PM.
    Adventures in the Borderlands [5E] - IC-Ch.0 / OC
    A Concerto of Death [5E] - IC / OC / Awreen

Tarot-Mage-atar by Cuthalion, may his pixels never die.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [DnD5E-OC] Adventures in the Borderlands OOC

Tirnelion, Knight of Myth Drannor
    AC: 18 | HP: 12 of 12
    Passive Perception: 12| Passive Insight: 10
    Active Effects: None.
    Conditions: None.

Elevator Pitch: High Elf born to a noble family of Myth Drannor, pledged to defend their wood from all incursions, human, orc, or otherwise. During his apprenticeship to the Knightly Order, elves discovered humans had stolen some relics of elven nature to study moon gates, and teleportation circles. Small band of knights exited forest to parlay for the return of the relics, or reclaim by force, if necessary. One the way to the wizard's guild, the elven party was ambushed by a third party, who wished to cause discord between Myth Drannor and nearby human kingdom. Mages, whom the elves were originally pursuing, aided the elves defending them from the third party.

Tenuous peace, contingent of knights stationed in human capital, to oversee elven relics the mage guild was permitted to research. During his time he met, and fell in love with human mage. Relationship kept secret, as he would be recalled to Myth Drannor if it was discovered. Human lover to give birth to half-elf child, while Tirnelion so distracted, third party infernalists summoned diabolic force in human city to retrieve elven relic and slay contingent of elven knights. During the siege, human lover slain, but Tirnelion swore oath to protect their child, fled human capital, travelled with child some time, until of age to foster in a wizard's guild. Laments loss of lover, loves his son, but fears his worthiness as father, fears retribution of his order, seeks elven relic, and justice against the infernalists.

Spoiler: Hooks
    Show
    The Hooks. Answer two or three (or four) of the following:
    1. Tell me about your people! What are things like where you're from? How are they the same or different as other people in the same place, and/or the same or different as similar people in other places?
      The Elves of Myth Drannor are isolationists, preserving elven arcana, history and knowledge from the younger races. Cultured and civilized, and incredibly conservative, the elven people are slow to rouse, and implacable enemies once they have chosen a course of action. The neighbouring human realm reached out to establish diplomatic ties, trade for knowledge and learning, while acting as a buffer against more aggressive kingdoms in proximity to Myth Drannor. Rebuffed, the human kingdom resorted to research along the borders of the elven realm, discovering elven relics abroad, and claiming them for research, causing the elves to leave their realm to reclaim them, through diplomatic or military fashion as required.
    2. Tell me about your colleagues! Tell me what school, college, order, guild, cabal, circle, coven, clan, tribe, dojo, or other organization controls access to the intricacies of your Class. What's that group up to? How much do you resemble the typical member? How much do you want to?
      Tirnelion was raised in Myth Drannor, and exhibits some of the traits of his kin, the arrogance and condescending demeanor towards the 'younger' races. However, he is well versed in the martial skills, trained with blade and bow, innate magics of the elven people flowing through him. As a younger member of the kightly order, he is particularly fascinated by the young races, such that he became enamored of the intuitive, inquisitive nature of the human mages once he was exposed to them.
    3. Give me one, large, solid, over-riding goal that you have for adventuring in general and adventuring out here in this keep (on the borderlands) in particular. The more personal, specific, and long-term the better.
      To redeem the Order and recover the elven relics from the infernalists who assaulted the human kingdom and destroyed the mage's guild with their summoned demons.
    4. Give me one very powerful responsibility or liability that ties you to this place at this time. Family? Debt? Oath? Something so important to you that you would never, ever walk away from it, no matter what.
      He has fostered his half elven son with the surviving members of the mage's guild that his human lover called her own. He is committed to aiding the guild rebuild itself, so that his son is safe and his perceived debt to his lover repaid.
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2020-10-26 at 05:41 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Serien

Spoiler
    Show
    1. The "Elevator Pitch."
    A super short, quick-sketch, high-concept, exciting description of who you want to play and what they bring to the table. Some mechanical stuff is fine (class, race, etc), but builds aren't exciting, stories are exciting. So tell me what kind of story this person brings. Imagine you're in an elevator with a Netflix exec, and you have 30 seconds to convince them to greenlight a mini-series based on this character. What would you say to convince them this person is so awesome their story needs to be told? Tell me that.

This skeleton was freed when its master was killed by heroes. Independent for the first time in its life, it set out to build itself an understanding of the world, seeing as no one bothered explaining anything to it before. This also means it knows none of the excuses that others have learned to accept. It isn't a hero, who would kill those different from themselves and take their stuff, nor a monster or villain, lurking in ecologically unfeasible and needlessly uncomfortable locales and fighting for unproductive, doomed causes. As the latter are in a sense its people, whenever it comes across them doing such self-destructive things it tries to convince them that things don't have to be this way.

All too often, though, when trying to make an ogre see that it doesn't have to stay in that cramped room, it just gets fed up. It never had training in diplomacy, after all, and its only upbringing was constant violence at a necromancer's behest.

So in some ways, the end result is not too different from your average adventurer.

2. A Backstory.
    What is birth? Certainly, for a thing of flesh and blood it is not when one comes into life. For they live in the egg, in the womb. I was born, if you like, in an instant. When the necromancers of the Tenscore And Six drew me from the void of the Negative Energy Plane, to be an extension of the rusty sword they pressed into my hands. Or if I am like a living one, was that when the sorceress's bolt speared through me to reach my master? Then my womb might be this skull, for from it I watched the puppet-show played by the bones of my body until that moment of searing light granted me my self at last.

If my comrades had survived, would they fear a return to that existence as I do? I can only hope so. I know that the others - the goblins, the ogres, the imps of this world - they can make the choice to be free that we never could, yet never do. I have tried to understand them, to tell them that they could take for themselves what I could not, but they only frustrate me with their own incomprehension, and then I know not what to do except what the necromancers asked of me every time something frustrated them.

I know there is something I must be missing. Even as my search for reason brings me among the heroic peoples, I see that they too are wound about by strange forces, bindings so different from those that once held me. I cannot begin to decipher it, yet what can I do but try?

Although I have at least learnt one thing: To hide my face when with them.

3. The Hooks. [B]
    My people are the monsters of this world. The orcs, the goblins, the small fiends and of course the skeletons and zombies - all who serve the great evils in ignorance and privation and slavery and devotion. In that way, we are all the same, except that I am perhaps a bit different. After all, I escaped such absurdity, left behind the death-cult of the Tenscore And Six rotting to bones like those which they made me from.

But have I truly escaped? For the absurdity remains. Though I am apart from it, still it surrounds me. I see the face of this world, yet I cannot read the words upon it. My people say this path I have found is not there, and the other side say that they walk it, but I cannot hear them beside me. Is it I who am mad?

I have found my way to what the heroes call a lord, who wishes to reclaim a keep for his ancestors. I have resolved to help him, for I can think of no other way to apprehend this strange force that seems to drive all but myself, so similar to and so different from the necromantic threads that once held me. Perhaps then I will understand why this man of flesh so loves an old pile of rocks, why the ogre will squat in a squalid room and guard treasure it does not spend, and why the Tenscore And Six built a lair so full of traps that their acolytes died by the day.
    Last edited by NontheistCleric; 2020-10-29 at 10:25 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks for choosing me, Truemane!

Posting to snag ScarletRed for Howl!

Here’s His Character Sheet

Spoiler: Application
    Show

1. The "Elevator Pitch." A super short, quick-sketch, high-concept, exciting description of who you want to play and what they bring to the table. Some mechanical stuff is fine (class, race, etc), but builds aren't exciting, stories are exciting. So tell me what kind of story this person brings. Imagine you're in an elevator with a Netflix exec, and you have 30 seconds to convince them to greenlight a mini-series based on this character. What would you say to convince them this person is so awesome their story needs to be told? Tell me that.

Howl is a character whose human nature is directly married to his fire elemental nature. The fire elemental passion, intensity, gluttony, and mischievousness is blended with the human values of comradely, love, respect and hard work. He’ll fight to the death to protect you for no promise of reward but if you invite him over to thank him he’ll probably drink ever last drop of your wine, eat second or thirds of your food, and drag you out to a tavern till dawn. He’s Galahad meets Andrew W.K. with the backstory of Arthur from Sword in the Stone.

With Howl I want to play a character that is instantly reminiscent of the 1e bard with some of the combat abilities of a Fighter, some of the skills of a Thief, and some of the magic of a Druid. Howl will always been there to help Rogues get a sneak attack, help a Fighter hold the front line, and help a Cleric heal up the team; all the while using Bardic Inspiration and his spells to make ever member of the party kick even more ass at their jobs.

2. A Backstory.
    Tell me how the time, place and/or circumstances of your birth created or included expectations about who you are and who you should be (for weal or woe).
    Tell me how your life so far as met (or failed to meet) those expectations, whether by choice or otherwise (again, for both weal and woe).
    Tell me how you and/or the people around you feel about what you've made of your life so far and/or your plans for the future.

Howl rem Foucault was born illegitimately to Countess Iliana tar Foucault, a human noble woman who was promised to marry a great human prince. If he has come out human the scandalous nature of his origin might simply have been hidden But scarlet red skin and spontaneous pyrotechnics are tricky to explain away so he was handed off to a circle of Druids to keep safe and out of sight.

Raised far out of the limelight of society but with dreams of knighthood and nobility; Howl always felt like his quiet life in a quaint village in the middle of nowhere wasn’t even close to as much excitement as he wanted out of life. He was educated with all the skills of a young man of the noble class; diplomacy, etiquette, swordplay, musicianship, and philosophy. Even an illegitimate heir might be needed someday to inherit a title.

As soon as he reached adulthood Howl left his little Druid village to find an exciting life for himself and thus far has completely failed. He’s drifted though provincial farms and sleepy villages, earning a living magically helping with animals, playing music, and offering the labor of a strong arm, and completely unable to find any adventure or really excitement so far. The druids that raised him back in their tiny village worry about a young man with vivid scarlet skin will draw the attention of people who’d rather Howl stay hidden but so far he’s yet make a particular name for himself.

3. The Hooks.
    Answer two or three (or four) of the following:
    Tell me about your people! What are things like where you're from? How are they the same or different as other people in the same place, and/or the same or different as similar people in other places?
    Tell me about your colleagues! Tell me what school, college, order, guild, cabal, circle, coven, clan, tribe, dojo, or other organization controls access to the intricacies of your Class. What's that group up to? How much do you resemble the typical member? How much do you want to?
    Give me one, large, solid, over-riding goal that you have for adventuring in general and adventuring out here in this keep (on the borderlands) in particular. The more personal, specific, and long-term the better.
    Give me one very powerful responsibility or liability that ties you to this place at this time. Family? Debt? Oath? Something so important to you that you would never, ever walk away from it, no matter what.

1. Howl has three groups that could be called his people. First, the Fire elementals. He knows absolutely nothing about them and often wonders what they’re like and if he’s anything like them. Second, the Noble society his mother belongs too. They’re an aristocracy built around magical prowess. Nobles who can’t cast magic are considered childish and shameful. They’ve got elaborate rules of etiquette and propriety and while Howl’s education might have prepared him to someday be a part of their society, he in no way would ever fit in with their classism and the exclusionary nature of their culture. The people that Howl actually relates to are the people of the village of Chervil he was raised in. His values of community, hard work, respect for life, and compassion all come from Chervil and he’ll always have a home there.
    2. Howl was raised and educated by the Druids of the Sacred Amaranth circle; lead by Hierophant Hjalmar. He shares their moral, intellectual and magical views but was never raised to be a Druid himself, instead being trained in the skills of a bard. Because of this there’s always been a degree of separation between Howl and both the druids of the circle and the people of Chervil. The circle functions almost like an medieval abbey; it’s a small hermetic religious community with a small surrounding village. While deeply concerned with shepherding their community and uncovering metaphysical and moral truths, the circle of the Sacred Amaranth have minimal influence outside of Chervil.
    3. Howl ultimately wants to build not only a name and reputation for himself but a real sphere of influence. Finding supporters and friends, even owning land are all going to be necessary for Howl to be able to confront him mothers society one day and be able to love as more than just a discarded bastard. The Keep in particular could be renovated and could potentially be turned into a base from which Howl builds up his power.
    4. Howl’s ties are to the Druids of the circle of the Sacred Amaranth. They’re the only family he’s ever really known. If they , or the village of Chervil, ever needed him He’d drop just about anything to be their for them.

4. Final Bits.
    Do you think human female characters in RPG's should have a strength penalty? Why or why not? If yes, would you balance that penalty with a benefit of some kind? If so, what would that be?
    Imagine we've been playing for a year or so and you're 6th or 7th level. And I PM you and say that this thing your character does, while perfectly within the rules, is causing a problem for me in the game (messes up the story, trivializes a common obstacle, I just don't like it). And I'd like you change it for something else or agree to stop doing it (or change the way you do it). What would you say? What if it was the thing you really wanted to do, and was the entire point of playing that character to begin with?
    Imagine we're in the middle of combat and you have a great idea that's just going to SMASH this encounter in two. And halfway into it we hit a tricky rules thing and I make a call and say the plan won't work. Now you're boned. Just boned. You might get killed. You might lose your best magic item. You might use up that thing you've been saving for just this kind of occasion. Further imagine my decision was a bad call. An objectively bad call. So bad that you wonder if I misread the rules. So incomprehensibly bad, in fact, that you suspect I just don't want you to crush my sweet encounter. You politely bring up your concerns, I don't agree. My reasons for not agreeing are terrible. What do you do?

1. I think giving human females a strength penalty is completely unnecessary. D&D is about making exciting characters to put into fun stories. I can’t see how enforcing a gender based strength penalty helps achieve that goal.
    2. I’d change the thing you wanted changed. Character’s which hinge upon a single ability or power aren’t very interesting to me. If one of the things my character can do is making the game no fun for the Dungeon Master AND they reach out in a private and reasonable way to ask me to change then I can always find some other cool thing for my character to do. Absolute worst case I ask if I can switch in a totally new character to replace one who doesn’t fit with the sort of game you’d like to run.
    3. First off I would just run with your call in the moment. If a DM makes a call then I believe the players should just about always run with it to keep the game flowing and if they’re unhappy about it privately address the DM at a different time. My ultimate reaction when I do talk to you about the issue depends on how big the problem is for the character. If it’s just a ruling that affects one encounter then it’s just not that big of a deal and I’d probably just drop it. If it’s the kind of ruling that makes the campaign totally unfun for me then I’d let you know that I probably wasn’t a good fit for the game, I’d stick around until you could write out my character, and then I would leave the game with no hard feelings.
    Last edited by (Un)Inspired; 2020-10-25 at 09:28 PM.
    amazing avatar of my favorite character, Gheera, by Pesimismrocks

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Thanks truemane! Hi All!

Posting my application info here. I will finalize my character sheet and edit it into this post. I will use green for my chat color

Clinton Moore

Spoiler: Application Info
    Show

1. Elevator Pitch
    Clinton Moore, explorer wizard. He is a cross between Rick O'Connell from the Mummy and Ged from the A Wizard of Earthsea.

2.Back Story
    He was raised as a simple shepherd, but at the age of 17 his life changed. His village was almost destroyed by a flood, but was protected by a wander wizard staying the night. Clint was instantly inspired by the wizard power and altruism, dedicating his life to learning magic and discovering arcane secrets. He managed to become traveling wizards apprentice. Last year, the traveling wizard decided to settle down and told Clint that he was no longer an apprentice, but a full fledged wizard.

Clinton is now a wizard traveling on his own, searching for new magic or undiscovered ruins. In a world like this, acquiring arcane knowledge requires more than being in a library. Moore isn't afraid to get his hands dirty in a fight or explore the most notorious dungeons

3. The Hooks
    -Clint has been wandering the past 8 years (seven with the travelling wizard and 1 alone) The traveling wizard is named Cypress. They had studied for years at libraries and schools before going out into the world. Passed on all this knowledge to Clint.
    -Clint is bound by an overwhelming sense of responsibility to help. After his village was saved by Cypress, Clint spent years training with Cypress. Clint goal is to gain knowledge, explore, and get powerful. Clint's responsibility is to protect people like Cypress did.

4. Final Bits
    -No. It seems like anyone should have the potential to do anything. If we are going to have sexual differences in humans why not other races?
    -I would probably try to find a compromise that works for both of us. If something is particularly game breaking maybe we could talk about a free retraining to re-balance power.
    -Probably leave it at that and try to plan for future encounters in the future accordingly.

Last edited by BestUserName; 2020-10-25 at 10:26 PM.
    Thank You Ninja Chocobo for the awesome portrait! I inherited it from The Bush Ranger.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Spoiler: The Elevator Pitch
    Show
    Heart Cliff-the charming young tabaxi mongrelfolk who wants to make her place in the world. Rather naive, but eager to help make the world she lives in a better place, and maybe make some friends along the way. The kind of person who always tries to have a smile on her face and a word of comfort or acceptance.

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    Heart is the seventh daughter of the leader of the Cliff tribe, who hail from the massive cliffs of the western reaches. Her mother, Ruby Cliff, leads the tribe through times of trouble and peace alike, and is a peerless warrior among her people.

Being, as she is, the seventh of seven kids, Heart wasn't really expected to do much. She's certainly expected to help the tribe, but she's three years younger than her next sibling and twenty years younger than her oldest, so her role is more supportive than anything else. No one would've said anything had she decided to live her life in peace and comfort, helping the tribe and being supported by her family and friends.

But, Heart wasn't content with that. She, at a young age, set out to do more! And kinda failed. She got lost, and had to be rescued by her second-oldest sibling, Agate. Agate told her to stay home, and stay safe. This worked... For about a month. Then she set out again.

Eventually, when her family realized that she wasn't going to be satisfied with her life, they stepped in to help. Ruby helped train Heart to fight, and gave her a task. The task was not a hard one-she'd be in charge of handling some mercantile business, dealing with the traders who occasionally came to barter with the tribe. With a new goal, Heart took to it with great aplomb, and this kept her happy for a few years.

After those few years, she wanted to do more. Being recently 16, she wanted to see more of the world. She talked to Ruby and her siblings, explaining her feelings, and told them she was going to go with the merchants, to see the world. Her family was worried, but knew that they weren't really gonna talk her out of it, so simply did their best to help her ready herself. And with that, she left to see the world!

She's been traveling the world for about two years now, sticking with the merchant family of Arn. A family of human mutts (primarily human, but with a bunch of random other bits of races in there), the ones she's with are not the wealthiest, but they have...Connections. Potentially shady ones, but they're good folk.

Now, though, she's come into contact with a noble who's in need of help. Heart leapt at the chance, sensing something bigger and better here.

Her family, far to the west, is worried about her a bit, and hopes she's okay. She will always have a place back home, if and when she returns.
    The Arn family likes Heart, as she's a hard worker and a good speaker. They're okay with her leaving, but hope that if she strikes it big, she'll share a little with them.

Too Long; Summarize Please
    Heart is the youngest of seven siblings, all from the matriarch of the Cliff tribe. She grew up with few expectations, but wasn't happy with that-so she eventually left to join a merchant caravan. She's been traveling with them for a few years, and has now heard of a noble in need of help.

Spoiler: The Hooks
    Show
    The Cliff tribe lives on mountains, using their natural climbing ability to easily navigate the sheer faces. They're a very free-love kind of people. Ruby, Heart's mother and the leader of the tribe, has no official spouse, and instead simply lays with others in the tribe as she and they wish. She wishes to do so a good amount, which has lead to having seven children. While families are maintained, and some people even marry, the entire tribe works together to raise the young and help the tribe.

The merchant family of Arn come from a shady past. The few members that Heart was with were not the typical members-they aren't quite so... Cutthroat, as the rest. They still maintain contacts with the underbelly of cities and towns, and know how to speak the lingo, but try to keep on the up and up. Most of the members of Arn, though, are pretty vicious, willing to do whatever it takes to get ahead.
    Heart is almost entirely unaware of this.

Heart's general goal is to make the world a better place. She's a goody-goody like that. But, given her experiences while traveling the world, and having seen some of it that's far worse than her home, she's decided that, once the keep is cleared and she has an in with the noble, she wants to secure them into a place of power, so that they can have a bargaining position when dealing with Indos. Indos, as a city, is not a good place-the rich are rich, the poor are poor, and people trample all over one another. In addition to wanting to use the keep to accept refugees from Indos' poor and oppressed, she wants to depose the oligarchy that keeps itself in power by ruthlessly stamping out dissent.

Spoiler: Final Bits
    Show
    1) Definitely not. D&D is about a fantastical world with larger than life heroes. More than that, it's about being fun for everyone who plays-saying, in the mechanics, "Women are weaker than men," is not just anti-fun, it's sexist and rude.

2) If it's a MECHANICAL element, I'd probably have no issues changing it. If it's something I've been having a lot of fun with in the mechanics, I'd probably ask if there's a way we could compromise.
    If it's a FLUFF element, I'd ask "Why does it need to change?" And I'd also want to see if it's an issue everyone has, or if it's exclusive to you, but either way, I'd see what I could do to make sure we're all having fun.
    Regardless, I don't foresee any issues, but it's a good question to ask. My general thoughts on matters like this is that, while I deserve to have fun, so does everyone else. If the absolute worst should come to pass and there's some kind of gap that cannot be bridged, a fundamental disconnect that stops me from having fun without trampling on someone else's, I'd leave the game and wish you all the best.

3) If something that extreme happens, my response would probably be "Well, it's been fun. But after that, I don't think I'll be having fun with this anymore. I will not be playing anymore."
    I don't anticipate this happening, since you seem a pretty reasonable DM, truemane. So fingers crossed that numbers 2 and 3 are just hypotheticals!
    I made my PC.

Heart Cliff
    Turemane has requested my PC not be a tabaxi.
    I asked to keep the mechanics, to which he was okay with, so I'll update my PC to be a mongrelfolk. Heavy on the more waif-like races, with a lithe build, quick feet, and nimble fingers. Heart looks like a human at first glance, but looking closer reveals a lot of little details that seem to be of another race.

Also taking Goldenrod for Heart.
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2020-10-25 at 10:12 PM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7

Hi all!

Thanks for the invite, Truemane. Excited to be here.

Arabellaphon De Lancet will speak in blue.

Spoiler: Application info
    Show

Spoiler: Evelator pitch
    Show
    Youngest daughter of a disgraced noble family sets out to make amends by pretending to be a knight.

Spoiler: Backstory
    Show
    By the time Arabellaphon was born, the once proud noble house of Lancet had fallen heavily into disgrace after her father and aunt squandered the family’s wealth and reputation on supposedly magical relics and the machinations of a travelling soothsayer. With little to her name, and as the youngest of seven, little was expected beyond perhaps low rank in the military.

Despite these very modest ambitions, she failed to receive a commission as who would sponsor such a minor member of a failed house? She still trained hard, determined to somehow achieve glory and bring about a restoration to her family name. Setting out, she took mercenary work where she could find it.

On one occasion, a misunderstanding about her noble birth led to being mistook for a knight. Not proud of it but feeling trapped, she embraced the confusion and used it to her advantage.

And so she travelled to the borderlands, where the chances of her deception being discovered were lower... or so she believes.

Spoiler: Hooks
    Show
    At this point, Arabellaphon’s siblings have mostly scattered to distance themselves from the disaster their house has become. The two who remain have either succumbed to a life of drink or are feuding with their father and aunt over control of the holdings. None bear Arabella ill-will but believe her to be misguided and naive.

This is usually a sentiment shared by those she works with as she’s overly eager to volunteer and far too dedicated to her tasks and doing what she sees as her duty. It frequently rubs the caravan guards, militia and wandering adventurers she’s met the wrong way.

Nevertheless, she remains determined that Arabellaphon De Lancet will be well regarded and that the Lancets restored to their former glory through her heroic deeds...

Spoiler: Final bits
    Show

1. Do you think human female characters in RPG's should have a strength penalty?
    No. RPG characters are individuals and, whether male, female or neither, should not have such arbitrary penalties applied based on that.

2. Imagine we've been playing for a year or so and you're 6th or 7th level. And I PM you and say that this thing your character does, while perfectly within the rules, is causing a problem for me in the game (messes up the story, trivializes a common obstacle, I just don't like it). And I'd like you change it for something else or agree to stop doing it (or change the way you do it). What would you say? What if it was the thing you really wanted to do, and was the entire point of playing that character to begin with?
    After such a length of time, I would be interested in discussing the issue and would work toward a compromise. If that was not feasible, I believe I would bow out of the game and wish everyone well. I think that would probably be best for everyone’s enjoyment, my own included.

3. Imagine we're in the middle of combat and you have a great idea that's just going to SMASH this encounter in two. And halfway into it we hit a tricky rules thing and I make a call and say the plan won't work. Now you're boned. Just boned. You might get killed. You might lose your best magic item. You might use up that thing you've been saving for just this kind of occasion. Further imagine my decision was a bad call. An objectively bad call. So bad that you wonder if I misread the rules. So incomprehensibly bad, in fact, that you suspect I just don't want you to crush my sweet encounter. You politely bring up your concerns, I don't agree. My reasons for not agreeing are terrible. What do you do?
    Respect that it is you running the game but reflect on whether there is any pattern of such decisions developing. In the event that there is, I would likely try to discuss the matter but be prepared to depart because this should be for fun. If I am no longer enjoying the game and have tried to address the issue without success, then I believe that to be the best solution.

Last edited by Silent_p; 2020-10-26 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Added Application info

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

First off, now that we've all posted, I'm curious if we want to make changes for a more balanced classic adventuring party. The current set up is two fighters, wizard, rogue, bard and whatever Nontheist's skeleton (?) ends up, class wise.

I could keep my character's concept largely the same and flip to a paladin for additional healing power, and some support. Does anyone else have any ideas for party composition or character ties?

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Prime View Post
    First off, now that we've all posted, I'm curious if we want to make changes for a more balanced classic adventuring party. The current set up is two fighters, wizard, rogue, bard and whatever Nontheist's skeleton (?) ends up, class wise.

I could keep my character's concept largely the same and flip to a paladin for additional healing power, and some support. Does anyone else have any ideas for party composition or character ties?
    For character ties, I'd be happy to connect the other PCs to Heart, though nothing jumps out at me as a particularly excellent latching-on point.

Show
    Show

Show

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

I’d like to start finding ways to tie our characters together too but I also don’t want to do any world building that steps on truemane’s toes. For instance, it might be cool if Silent_p’s Arabella and Howl were from noble families from the same country (if you’re down for that Silent_p) but I don’t know if we should come up with a name for a country without our DM’s input.

@ Zero Prime: Our party does seem to be somewhat lacking in the healing/support arena. Currently Howl’s the only character (I think?) that can do any healing and even then it’s pretty much a backup speciality of his. Would playing a paladin be as fun for you as playing a fighter?

11. - Top - End - #11

@(Un)Ispired and @ZeroPrime Definitely agree we could use some more healing/support. I am excited to see what NontheistCleric is going to build. Either a Death or Grave Domain Cleric would be cool with a skeleton.

My apprenticeship ended a year ago and I have been traveling since then. One of you could have been my travel companion the past several months... Anyone think they would have been treasure hunting before this? @JNAProductions a rogue is always good to have when dungeon diving.
    Last edited by BestUserName; 2020-10-25 at 11:27 PM.
    Thank You Ninja Chocobo for the awesome portrait! I inherited it from The Bush Ranger.

12. - Top - End - #12

I think I could rework Arabellaphon as an Oath of Glory paladin, if that were needed. We are light on healing support. I think her core concept would be maintained.

Regarding character links, would it work to have Arabella’s family be involved - tangentially, at least - in the relic thefts? I don’t picture them as evil but misguided and could have stupidly funded more nefarious people who actually performed the thefts?

Quote Originally Posted by (Un)Inspired View Post
    I’d like to start finding ways to tie our characters together too but I also don’t want to do any world building that steps on truemane’s toes. For instance, it might be cool if Silent_p’s Arabella and Howl were from noble families from the same country (if you’re down for that Silent_p) but I don’t know if we should come up with a name for a country without our DM’s input.
    I’d definitely be in favour of that, DM willing. Given the nature of noble houses, they would certainly be aware of each other’s families and, as mentioned in the recruitment thread, their differing experiences with their noble families would be great to explore.

@JNAProductions, I think there could be a link between Arabella and Heart through the merchant caravan. Arabella would have worked for a while as a caravan guard and could have encountered Heart. Not sure how strong a link we’d make but there could be some connection drawn, if you’re interested.

13. - Top - End - #13

I’d like to start finding ways to tie our characters together too but I also don’t want to do any world building that steps on truemane’s toes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silent_p View Post
    I’d definitely be in favour of that, DM willing.
    At this moment, there is no world. There is only this one partly re-built castle in the middle of the wilderness, a series of increasingly implausibly populated caves nearby, and whatever the random encounter tables tell me. This is partly to capture the Retro feel, and also in-game thematic, as there wouldn't be a lot of maps or anything giving anyone a big picture look at where things are. It's all just "North a bit" and "West of the river" and "over the mountains."

So, by all means, world build as much as you like. The main reason I asked for some idea of what organization generated your class abilities was to seed the world with some nifty things. As of now, this isn't Greyhawk or Faerun or anything. Blank slates all around.

So go for it. Shoot for the fences. If I have an opinion about any one thing or another, I'll happily say so.

14. - Top - End - #14

Did you get my PM, truemane? Not to rush if you've already seen it and don't have the time to respond yet, just checking.

15. - Top - End - #15

Totally did. Working on all that today.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by BestUserName View Post
    @(Un)Ispired and @ZeroPrime Definitely agree we could use some more healing/support. I am excited to see what NontheistCleric is going to build. Either a Death or Grave Domain Cleric would be cool with a skeleton.

My apprenticeship ended a year ago and I have been traveling since then. One of you could have been my travel companion the past several months... Anyone think they would have been treasure hunting before this? @JNAProductions a rogue is always good to have when dungeon diving.
    That could indeed work. Clinton has a strong drive to help others, and so does Heart, so I see them working together without any real difficulty.

In general, I'd say Heart is a little impressed by your magical abilities. She wishes she could do the same, but lacks the spark needed to cast spells. It's possible that Mr. Moore has tried to teach her some spells, but they just don't work for her.

@JNAProductions, I think there could be a link between Arabella and Heart through the merchant caravan. Arabella would have worked for a while as a caravan guard and could have encountered Heart. Not sure how strong a link we’d make but there could be some connection drawn, if you’re interested.
    In order to leave some more room for roleplay between one another in the game itself, I think just one big connection would be appropriate. So I think, between Arabella and Heart, a small connection would be appropriate. Say, maybe about two years back (if that fits the timelines) you helped my side of the Arn family? And, just to spice it up a bit, perhaps you ended up leaving because you discovered that, by and large, the Arns are not good folk, and had not enough experience with the ones I traveled with to know they aren't like the rest.

@Truemane
    Since you say the world is unformed, an endless void of chaos, at the moment, I'll list what I've made as additions to it:

The Arn Family
    A large family of merchants, who deal with less savory individuals. Their mixed blood makes them generally ineligible for proper places in high society, so they resort to skulduggery to make their way through the world. They're quite wealthy, and use this wealth (and associated power) to make sure they stay that way.

Indos
    One of the biggest cities in the land, Indos is ruled by an oligarchy composed of the remnants of the once-proud noble families. In distant past, Indos was a shining beacon of hope and prosperity. But after the end of the line of Indos (the founders and monarchs of the city) the squabbling noble families took control, and within a century, tarnished its reputation beyond easy repair. In the centuries since, Indos has only grown worse, with the ruling families stamping out dissent to ensure they retain their stranglehold on ruling. It remains a wealthy city, having access to a large college of mages, a powerful standing army, and a small mine of orichalcum.

Show
    Show

Show

17. - Top - End - #17

@Truemane
    Since you say the world is unformed, an endless void of chaos, at the moment, I'll list what I've made as additions to it:

The Arn Family
    A large family of merchants, who deal with less savory individuals. Their mixed blood makes them generally ineligible for proper places in high society, so they resort to skulduggery to make their way through the world. They're quite wealthy, and use this wealth (and associated power) to make sure they stay that way.

Indos
    One of the biggest cities in the land, Indos is ruled by an oligarchy composed of the remnants of the once-proud noble families. In distant past, Indos was a shining beacon of hope and prosperity. But after the end of the line of Indos (the founders and monarchs of the city) the squabbling noble families took control, and within a century, tarnished its reputation beyond easy repair. In the centuries since, Indos has only grown worse, with the ruling families stamping out dissent to ensure they retain their stranglehold on ruling. It remains a wealthy city, having access to a large college of mages, a powerful standing army, and a small mine of orichalcum.
    Perfect. Thank you. Lots of good stuff in there for causing trouble later. Plus, anytime I see the word 'skullduggery' in casual conversation, I'm in a good mood for hours.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post
    Perfect. Thank you. Lots of good stuff in there for causing trouble later. Plus, anytime I see the word 'skullduggery' in casual conversation, I'm in a good mood for hours.
    Does your spellcheck recognize "skullduggery" as a word? Mine insists on "skulduggery".

And, to quote a friend who googled the etymology when I complained about that...

Quote Originally Posted by Etymology
    Skulduggery, which can also be spelled "skullduggery," was first documented in the mid-19th century spelled as "scull-duggery." Etymologists aren't sure exactly how the word arrived in English, but they do not believe it has anything to do with skulls. It is possibly derived from the now-very-rare "sculduddery," a term once used to refer to gross or lewd conduct, but unfortunately the origins of that word are also unknown.
    So... *Shrugs*

Show
    Show

Show

19. - Top - End - #19

My spell-check accepts "Skullduggery." I've never seen it with one l. I guess, even if the origin has nothing to do with skulls, it sounds so much like skulls that the spelling sort of caught up.

Sculduddery is a wonderful word. Next time someone is gross or lewd around me, I'm accusing them of that.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Despite talking about switching to a Paladin, I had a discussion with Silent_p about our fighters, and it appears that there won't be much overlap as I tend to take mine in a defensive, guardian type role, whereas P is going to be all about wrecking face with a greatsword.

So, to make it a much more CLASSIC experience, at least at my tables in the early 80's ... whoever dies first rolls a CLERIC!

21. - Top - End - #21

In order to leave some more room for roleplay between one another in the game itself, I think just one big connection would be appropriate. So I think, between Arabella and Heart, a small connection would be appropriate. Say, maybe about two years back (if that fits the timelines) you helped my side of the Arn family? And, just to spice it up a bit, perhaps you ended up leaving because you discovered that, by and large, the Arns are not good folk, and had not enough experience with the ones I traveled with to know they aren't like the rest.
    That makes sense. 2 years ago should be fine. Enough time to still remember and leave a lingering negative impression. If you’ve any particularly memorable figures that Arabella might recall, let me know.

Indos
    I like this. The reality of much of the upper nobility being petty, corrupt and power hungry plays nicely against Arabella’s more naive and romanticised view of nobility. I’d imagine there would still be shades of grey and some noble families are worse than others while still having an overall cutthroat environment.

I’ll work up something on the Lancets to add but I see them being outside the city.

Despite talking about switching to a Paladin, I had a discussion with Silent_p about our fighters, and it appears that there won't be much overlap as I tend to take mine in a defensive, guardian type role, whereas P is going to be all about wrecking face with a greatsword.
    Actually a glaive, to be different. Who knows, though, might find a shiny new greatsword during the campaign.
    Last edited by Silent_p; 2020-10-26 at 11:02 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22

@All
    I've got two free languages that are currently TBD. What would make sense for our group?

Show
    Show

Show

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by NontheistCleric View Post
    WIP, (Quite Possibly Not) Skeleton
    I would go ahead and make the character as a Skeleton. We can work out what that means and how it's going to exist in-game on our own time. And you're right that Skeleton stats are quite suboptimal. So we can tweak that a bit, too, I think.

Turemane has requested my PC not be a tabaxi.
    I just want to manage the 'Ambient Freak Index' (AFI). I like creative choices and interesting ideas, but a party made primarily of very exotic races is maybe not the right fit for the vibe I'm trying to hit. If you're (mostly) human-looking, then that's one Fire Genasi plus one whatever monstrous eldritch horror NontheistCleric thinks up, which gives us an AFI of 2/5. Which feels about right.

So, to make it a much more CLASSIC experience, at least at my tables in the early 80's ... whoever dies first rolls a CLERIC!
    Heh. We can make it an early campaign focus to get an Alchemist to come to town for easy access to Healing Potions.

EDIT: I have a couple of housekeeping things, and a couple of campaign decisions for us to weigh in on. I'll get that up, hopefully this evening.
    Last edited by truemane; 2020-10-26 at 11:29 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24

That could indeed work. Clinton has a strong drive to help others, and so does Heart, so I see them working together without any real difficulty.

In general, I'd say Heart is a little impressed by your magical abilities. She wishes she could do the same, but lacks the spark needed to cast spells. It's possible that Mr. Moore has tried to teach her some spells, but they just don't work for her.
    Yeah, I definitely feel like they could get along great. I really like the idea of Clint trying to teach Heart magic. I see you have an amazing charisma, have you considered any warlock or sorcerer multiclassing? Could be interesting for us to develop magic together.

@zeroprime hopefully I dont die and have to be reincarnated as a cleric

@truemane for the sake of the AFI, I'm happy I chose human instead of Goliath
    Last edited by BestUserName; 2020-10-26 at 02:02 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Indos
    Are we interested in saying that Indros is adjacent to the elven Kingdom of Myth Drannor, and, in fact, the ones who claimed the elven relics for ... research purposes. The fact that it is greatly diminished, is interesting, because it is likely my High Elf is one of the older members of the party at 170+ yrs, so he could remember it from it's glory days. We could have the circle of mages be a secular thing, bitter infighting and such spilling over to the various ruling houses that members of the mages council support. Scrying on one another and their proxies to set up scandals that could lead to a house great on month, toppled and in ruin the next.

The destabilisation could have happened almost 30 years ago when the infernalists betrayed those that they'd maneuvered into recovering the relic for them, maybe the infernalist was even once a member of the mages circle.

Thoughts?

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post
    I would go ahead and make the character as a Skeleton. We can work out what that means and how it's going to exist in-game on our own time. And you're right that Skeleton stats are quite suboptimal. So we can tweak that a bit, too, I think.
    Oh, wonderful! I think I'll take up the recruitment thread's offered set of rerolls, as the first two sets I rolled there were worse than what everyone else here has even without a net -6 to stats (I'm just assuming that's the case for now as you didn't actually specify what tweaks there might be). Hopefully they won't turn out worse...

Spoiler: Re-rolls
    Show
    Set 1
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[7]

Set 2
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[12]

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Sorry it took so long for me to sit down and post today everyone. I had a bunch of grad school nonsense to deal with.

@Truemane

Indos
    That's such a cool addition to the game world. Even the name Indos is reminiscent of like early earth civilization with the Indus River Valley. If you don't mind I'd like to build off your idea:

In their squabbles the remaining noble families of Indos all either sponsor powerful mages of the college or have spellcasting abilities of their own. The Hatfield and McCoy-like feuding over magical control is actually what lead to the elven relics getting stolen appropriated from the elves of Myth Drannor (as Zero Prime has already somewhat brought up).

The House of Perihelion
    While not currently the most powerful noble house remaining in Indos, The House of Perihelion has managed to hold onto more wealth and political influence than most. This is due, in no small part, to family's natural faculty with magic; many of its members ending up as potent wizards and sorcerers. The current head of the family is Duchess Iliana tar Foucault, a formidable sorcerer in her own right. After a minor scandal involving a possible child born out of wedlock Duchess Foucault married Grand Prince Bayan har Shankou of The House of Apastron, in a move that many in Indos believe has solidified the two houses too much power.

Oh man, that's such an awesome idea! We should definitely all join in a death pact with the first of us to die rerolling as a cleric.

That makes sense. 2 years ago should be fine. Enough time to still remember and leave a lingering negative impression. If you’ve any particularly memorable figures that Arabella might recall, let me know.

I like this. The reality of much of the upper nobility being petty, corrupt and power hungry plays nicely against Arabella’s more naive and romanticised view of nobility. I’d imagine there would still be shades of grey and some noble families are worse than others while still having an overall cutthroat environment.

I’ll work up something on the Lancets to add but I see them being outside the city.
    How old is Arabella?

Howl is only 21 and I see him having been raised with his noble family only up until he was 5 or so, so he's been far out of the city for the last 16 years. Maybe the Lancets and The House of Perihelion (which Howl was born into before he was disinherited) have some sort of political alliance? Would Arabellaphon have had any opportunity to have contact with a young child around 16 years ago?

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by NontheistCleric View Post
    Oh, wonderful! I think I'll take up the recruitment thread's offered set of rerolls, as the first two sets I rolled there were worse than what everyone else here has even without a net -6 to stats (I'm just assuming that's the case for now as you didn't actually specify what tweaks there might be). Hopefully they won't turn out worse...
    So here's the thing with me and attributes: I'm not at all concerned about them. In most D20 games (and in 5E in particular) high attributes generate way more fun for you than they do problems for me. Some kind of semi-restrictive rolling is in-genre for an Old School game, but I'm not really a stickler for it.

The only thing that matters is you're all happy with what you have. So what I usually do is, once characters are finalized, I have a look at them and 'hand balance' anything very unbalances.

If you all wanted, we could do another method. A different kind of roll. Or a generous array. Or, heck, you can all just choose your attributes.

29. - Top - End - #29

Not planning on dying but, if it happens, I’ve got some cleric ideas.

@All
    I've got two free languages that are currently TBD. What would make sense for our group?
    Not sure what to suggest. Arabella’s got Dwarvish and Elvish. The more esoteric languages didn’t seem to fit. Plus, as a noble, they seemed most appropriate.

The destabilisation could have happened almost 30 years ago when the infernalists betrayed those that they'd maneuvered into recovering the relic for them, maybe the infernalist was even once a member of the mages circle.
    I’m fine with that. I’ve written some tangential involvement in the area of relic theft into the Lancets below. Doesn’t have to be direct but I could see their name coming up during a conversation about the problem/destabilisation.

How old is Arabella?

Howl is only 21 and I see him having been raised with his noble family only up until he was 5 or so, so he's been far out of the city for the last 16 years. Maybe the Lancets and The House of Perihelion (which Howl was born into before he was disinherited) have some sort of political alliance? Would Arabellaphon have had any opportunity to have contact with a young child around 16 years ago?
    Arabella is now 22. She’s been training in one way or another since she was 12 and left the family home at 19.

The Lancets are based about three-days’ journey outside the capital in the port city of Lyrantis. As such, the Perihelions would likely be aware of the Lancets and vice versa but are unlikely to be in close contact. That said, there is room to establish something. The Perihelions could be the House the Lancets are closest to within the capital - at least until their downfall. Happy to discuss further.

Spoiler: The Lancets
    Show
    The Lancets
    Once the ruling house in the city of Lyrantis, the Lancets are now widely regarded as greedy, frivolous and wasteful - even among other noble houses.

At something of a distance from the ruthless squabbling of the capital, the Lancets had maintained a mostly successful city for nearly a century, aided by the significant trade flowing through the port city of Lyrantis. Usually ignored by the houses in Indros, they were content with their position and avoided interaction as much as possible. Outside of a few minor scandals, this worked fairly well for them. That changed a little over thirty years ago when Midosian De Lancet became head of the family.

A fearful man who relied heavily on his younger sister, Margamia, he was only 22 when his mother died in mysterious circumstances. Though there was suspicion towards Margamia, nothing materialised due to Midosian’s fervent belief in his sister. Afraid of succumbing to his mother’s fate, the new ruler sought out practitioners both arcane and divine to protect him, spending increasing amounts of coin as his lack of discernment led to an influx of unscrupulous individuals capitalising on his fears.

Thus the years passed and Midosian married and had children, never fully ceasing in his efforts to buy or finance the acquisition of magical artefacts and ancient relics - location or owners not a significant concern. This required more and more coin and taxes were raised every few years to fund this obsession; an obsession which plunged the family into debt and his wife eventually refused to tolerate as, with finality, she departed for the capital. Discontent rose in Lyrantis and, twelve years ago - between the merchants and more minor noble families - the Lancets were displaced in a mostly bloodless dethroning.

Since then, the family has fractured with only the eldest siblings, twins Allonius and Teralynia, remaining. Teralynia has done little but carouse and drink herself to slumber most nights while Allonius, working tirelessly began the near eternal process of pulling the family out of debt and curbing his father and, particularly, his aunt.

30. - Top - End - #30

Okay everyone, here's the opening salvo. I have the tendency to 'talk' a lot. I try my best to keep everything as brief as I can.

Spoiler: Nuts and Bolts
    Show

1. The single most important factor in the success of a PbP game that we can control is momentum. Other than player chemistry (which we can't actually control), momentum is all-important.

What that means for me is that I'll always be looking at ways to start as far into a scene as I can, to always set a scene around at least one thing you can do, and I'll always be looking for ways to end a scene as soon as I can with at least one clear and obvious 'you could do this next if you want.' As a result, it's possible I'll start a scene or end a scene and move on and you might have something you wanted to add. If this happens, DON'T PANIC. If you can't kind of insert it into your own post, just tell me. I can back it up, edit my post, run a sidebar, retcon it, whatever. I'd rather move things along 20 times and have to retcon 5 than stall out 15 times waiting for something to happen.

For example. Around a table, it's cool to say "You see an inn up ahead." And then you say "We check it out." And I describe it. You say you go in. I say you do. You say you ask the innkeeper about a room. I say there's a room. You say you take it. I say it's ten bucks. You say you pay it. You say you go lie down. I say there's a knock at the door(!). Easy. Takes three minutes. But in PbP each of those exchanges could have as much as a 48 hour delay. So, instead, I'll just tell you that there's an inn, you go in and go up to your room, and start the scene with you opening the door and the old man saying "Are you an adventurer?" But if you wanted to mingle in the common room before going to bed and I blew right past that, DON'T PANIC. Either be all "After mingling in the common room before going to my room, I answer the door" or tell me OC and I'll edit the post, or whatever. Retconning is easy. Momentum is hard.

This also means I will sometimes cut combat short before it's mechanically finished by saying something like "And then you finish off the last few bandits and head home" rather than just continue rolling dice and doing math when there's no real stakes left.

The main thing this means for you is, whenever possible, ask forgiveness rather than permission. If you have to ask me something before proceeding, I'd generally rather you just proceed and then ask me if it's okay. Is the innkeeper hot? You tell me. Do you have a cousin living nearby? You tell me. Does the blacksmith like cats? You tell me. Can you roll a Religion check to see if you know a ghoul's tracks when you see them? Just go ahead and roll it (and even use OOC knowledge to tell me what you think your PC knows if it makes sense). I'd generally rather we move things along (and occasionally scale it back if it goes too far) than the opposite.

The only real hard limit with this is no doing anything that dictates what another PC does. I'm allowed to it if I have to ("You all go into the inn.") but none of you should do it, even a little bit.

All this means that it's important for everyone (even me) to be a little flexible and roll with the punches. Especially at the outset.

2. We will be playing this game in 'Medium+ Lethality' Mode. No changes to the mechanics, but basically it means that I'll be playing it as it lays with little-to-no dice fudging. And, while I won't go out of my way to kill anyone, if you drop unconscious and a nearby monster can spare the action, they might take a turn to finish you off. A given module will be roughly level-appropriate as a whole, but individual encounters might not be. You might get into a fight you can't win, so you'll have to watch the situation and make choices.

3. I do expect everyone to post with reasonably decent levels of grammar and spelling. I write fast because I have to tuck posts in between RL stuff, and I make a lot of typos, so I won't be all up in your business about minutiae, but everyone should cover the basics. Capitalize words, use quotations marks for speech, italics for thoughts, run everything through a spellcheck, no walls of text, that sort of thing.

4. I tend to waver back and forth between present and past tense (sometimes in the same post). I don't really care which one you use, or even if you're consistent. Just be comprehensible.

5. I don't format my dialogue. Don't, and won't, even if you ask me to. I find the ubiquity of that convention very strange (and mildly offensive for philosophical reasons). You can colour yours if you like, that's cool. But just pick a colour with good contrast so it doesn't strain anyone's eyes. Please still use quotation marks and such, even if your dialogue is coloured.

6. I don't have a post length minimum or maximum. Or a posting rate. Just try to match the energy of whatever's going on. Just try not to post way more often, or way less often, or way longer, or way shorter, than everyone else. I find games settle into a rhythm as they go along.

Spoiler: Possible Houserules to Consider
    Show

I'm generally not big on houserues. But sometimes a small rule change can have a large impact on the narrative. Feel free to weigh in on any of the below. I won't adopt any of them unless there's a general level of enthusiasm for the idea (like, I'd rather do it if it seems fun and interesting, rather than 'sure whatever').

1. Do we want everyone to have an 'extra life?' I like playing on lethal mode. I enjoy the tension. But at the same time, having a beloved character bite it because of a bad roll sucks. So we could institute a Extra Life. Which is, once per PC, if the dice say you're dead, you're just Mostly Dead and horribly mangled and need a long period of rest and maybe have some permanent disability of some kind.
    1b. We could make Extra Lives transferable. As in, someone's used theirs, and has another bad string of luck, and you donate yours to them. Now you don't have it any more.

2. Do we want to have slightly less cinematic rules for Short and Long rests while in the Wilderness or a Dungeon? Specifically, I'm thinking a Long Rest recovers fewer HP and/or fewer class features? This is already partly covered by the possibility of random encounters during rests (which would then interrupt and invalidate it). But we could tweak either setting (more/fewer random encounters, more/fewer resources recovered per rest). Resting "in town" is fine as is. I'm thinking when you're out on the job.

3. What do we think about using Knowledge skills as perception rolls in appropriate situations? I've never liked how Perception is such an important skill. This breaks it up into different areas and gives some utility to Lore skills. The actual Perception skill would then be used more for environmental things, ambushes, people following you, and things that fall outside the other areas. There would be some details to hash out, but maybe we don't want to re-invent the wheel.

4. Do we want to mess with Languages any? Have different languages for different nations? Over the lifetime of 3.5, I got used to establishing languages used by different geographical areas, different social classes, different occupations (the military, sailors), and the like. It was fun aid to world-building, but 5E makes it hard to pick-up languages easily, so I kind of dropped it. But we could have a few more languages in common use, and give everyone a few more (equal to Intelligence Modifier, say) to use.

Spoiler: Workshops!
    Show

Here are a few small notes or questions or things to think about for your characters. I usually do a lot of this (Zero Prime had to endure quite an extensive pre-game process in another game of mine). In some ways it's my favourite part of the hobby. But for this game I'll be keeping it simple. So this is just some things to think about or comment on, with an eye to adding some depth or complexity to backstories.

None of this stuff is binding. None of it is me telling you what to do. It's your character you'll always have final say. It's just some ideas. Feel free to respond, or not, as much or as little as you wish.

Zero Prime
    • I'm sure this doesn't need to be said, but all the same, please be mindful of the arrogance and condescending demeanor towards the 'younger' races'. It's perilously easy to cause conflict and hurt feelings with that sort of thing on PbP. Don't be shy about checking in with people OC if you feel like a scene will include some of that.
    • What ideals are upheld by the Elven Knightly Order? How are they different from a similar human institution? How much weight does that Order have in Myth Drannor?
    • Who's watching his son? The mages all day? Is there a nanny? What's the relationship like at start of game? What's his name?

JNAProductions
    • Maybe the Arn Family had their hooks into the tribe for something? Protected them from something or provided a resource they needed in exchange for some oppressive re-payment scheme?
    • Maybe the repayment is young, agile, intelligent people they can train as thieves? So Heart's leaving town was less 'see the world' and more 'you belong to these people now, sorry.' Maybe she even volunteered as tribute?
    • Heart's general wish for the world to be a better place might be more fun if laid against a past where she was forced to do the opposite. If she's a trained Rogue, and the Arn Family trained her, then she's maybe done some bad things.
    • Maybe the Arn Family's economic parasitism was what caused (or at least aided) the fall of Indos? Maybe that's sort of their MO? If they were like a particularly aggressive mafia sort of organization? Like, if we had a setting book, we might see various places they've destroyed.
    • Maybe she ran away from the Arn Family to this Keep? Maybe the Arn Family lent her out, with the intention of using her as some sort of asset later?

NontheistCleric
    • One thing that's not covered by our PM conversation, and is the case no matter what we decide there, is that it might be a good idea for you to come to town attached to another PC rather than on your own. For someone so monstrous, it might make the initial entry easier. I could give you an NPC for this, if that's easier.

(Un)inspired
    • Howl was raised by Druids but knows Arcane Magic. I know that's not your choice, it's just how the system works, but it might be worth thinking, in-universe, why that is. Maybe he wasn't allowed to be a Druid, even though he really wanted to be one (because of his mixed heritage, or some other reason)? Was there another group that trained him in his arcane magic?
    • What if he was sent away from the Druids, rather than just left? Maybe due to political fallout from the nobles?
    • What if all the Druids 'go wandering' for a time before settling down to full-time Druidism (like a Rumspringa)? And it's expected they travel, and learn, and help where they can? And maybe he was 'sent off' like this, either to protect him from his family, or some other reason? Maybe it's a thing people know about, so when he goes places and is all "I'm on my Yearly Wander from the Druid Circle" people nod and smile and put him to work. Maybe that's (ostensibly) why he's here in the Keep.
    • It might be fun if there's something about him that makes him especially valuable to someone among the nobles. Either in his own right, or as a pawn in some larger game. Maybe he even knows this is true, but doesn't know why.

BestUserName
    • Is the way Clint does magic the way magic is 'supposed' to be done? It might be fun to make a decision one way or the other. Because whichever way you go, it tells you a bit about how Clint thinks of himself, and his place in the world.
    • Maybe where he's from magic is all about book learning and colleges and fancy British accents. And he's this weird gutter-mage out in the field with the rubes.
    • Or, maybe where he's from it's normal for mages to be very 'of the world' and he thinks other places, where magic is more academic, are doing it wrong.
    • Either choice tells you a lot about Cypress.
    • It might be interesting to add something specific to this area that Clint wants a piece of. "Helping" is a great all-purpose motivation, but maybe he's heard there's an old Wizard's tower somewhere? Or heard rumours of some kind of goings on that he wants to investigate? Something compelling and personal that would cause him to want to go left when everyone else wants to go right.

Silent_p
    • What is a 'knight' where she's from? How is being a knight different from being an officer or a mercenary? What ideals does her version of knighthood champion or hold up or defend?
    • Was she, in her heart, training to be a knight? Or was she just trying to get by?
    • How does she feel about pretending to be a knight? Like, if it's something she's always wanted, it's a different kind of choice than if she doesn't care or never wanted to be one.
    • Maybe her involvement here in the Keep is because she's a knight? So, rather than coming out here with the hope that no one will know who she is, she's here specifically because everyone knows who she is (or thinks they do, anyway).
    • What does 'being a knight' mean in terms of how she acts? How much or how little does she like acting that way?

That wound up being a lot more than I thought.

My plan is put the IC thread up today or tomorrow. We can get started as we finalize everything.