Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Not Getting To Play

Quote Originally Posted by Xervous View Post
    They said nasty things about me mum and groped the paladin

But really, why fight random dolphins?
    I dunno. But half the party started fighting them, so presumably they had some reason of some kind, even if it was arbitrary violence.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kesnit View Post
    I do. I don't remember exactly what led to the situation, but it ended with all but two members of the party (I was one) falling into a lake with dolphins. The PCs in the lake started fighting the dolphins. Since I didn't fall in the lake, there was no reason for me to go into the lake. I was a melee Crusader, so couldn't attack from range. So I (and the other player whose PC didn't fall in) sat there for about 30 minutes while everyone else fought the dolphins.

I don't know why the other PCs didn't just swim to the side and climb out.
    Ok, I am finally beginning to under stand the point Pex is making from your story. The encounter exposed and exploited multiple of your character's weaknesses.

There was a way for you to go int the fight but dang why would anyone handicap themselves that badly? The trick here is YOUR character. The rogue or barbarian cannot teleport out of a force cage or solid sphere. But someone in the party should have the power. Mage pops in with a d. Door then next turn frees you both.

It sounds to me like the party didnt act like a functioning party. No one tried to mitigate your weakness. Things like this need to happen for the game to properly function. Wizard casts fly on the fighter, cleric casts protection from evil on the barbarian, tanks need to position themselves between the mage and the enemy.

In that story they could have swam closer to the shore so you could attack in only hip deep water, or swam to a dock so you could yank them out. Instead they stayed in the middle of deep water for a fifht that doesnt sound like it had much "porpoise."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

I do. I don't remember exactly what led to the situation, but it ended with all but two members of the party (I was one) falling into a lake with dolphins. The PCs in the lake started fighting the dolphins. Since I didn't fall in the lake, there was no reason for me to go into the lake. I was a melee Crusader, so couldn't attack from range. So I (and the other player whose PC didn't fall in) sat there for about 30 minutes while everyone else fought the dolphins.

I don't know why the other PCs didn't just swim to the side and climb out.
    So...you DON'T have a story that fits the premise of the OP. You did exactly what I said is generally what happens when people supposedly get "locked out". You chose not to participate.

Unless you tried to do something/ go somewhere else and the GM said "No, you can't", you were not locked out of this situation. You have nearly limitless options at your disposal and you chose: do nothing for 30 IRL minutes. Kind of objectively the worst possible option. That's on you.

Quote Originally Posted by gijoemike View Post
    In that story they could have swam closer to the shore so you could attack in only hip deep water, or swam to a dock so you could yank them out. Instead they stayed in the middle of deep water for a fight that doesn't sound like it had much "porpoise."
    They sure could have. Rather than doing nothing, maybe the person in question could have suggested that to the party, who may just not have thought to do so for whatever reason.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2020-10-28 at 05:28 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Um... wanting to fight the dolphins and/or rescue your fellow PCs seems like a pretty good reason to go into the lake to me.
    Per the DM, since we didn't fall in, we had no reason to have to get out of the lake. The encounter was to get out of the lake - not to fight the dolphins.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    Why would you want to fight the dolphins? Are they members of the cult of the deep or something, are they in league with aboleths or guarding the trident of destiny? Is your DM forcing you to keep track of food and you're out of rations? Are they just picking a fight with anything for exp?
    I have no idea why the 4 PCs decided to try to fight the dolphins. (Yes, 6 person party.)

They said nasty things about me mum and groped the paladin

But really, why fight random dolphins?
    That was the way this game was set up. Everything was a random encounter in the world. Every hex we moved, we had to roll for wind direction and speed, terrain, temperature, and what the random encounter would be. Sometimes it was a monster. Sometimes it was a trap. Sometimes it was a helpful NPC, or treasure. Sometimes it was nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    I dunno. But half the party started fighting them, so presumably they had some reason of some kind, even if it was arbitrary violence.
    More than half - 4 out of 6. Mostly arbitrary violence.

Quote Originally Posted by gijoemike View Post
    There was a way for you to go int the fight but dang why would anyone handicap themselves that badly? The trick here is YOUR character. The rogue or barbarian cannot teleport out of a force cage or solid sphere. But someone in the party should have the power. Mage pops in with a d. Door then next turn frees you both.
    It wasn't so much handicapping our PCs. It was that we had already "beaten" the encounter (by not falling in) and so we could not contribute.

Had any of the PCs come close to the shore, I would have extended my halbred to help them out. None did.

It sounds to me like the party didnt act like a functioning party.
    Very true, but that is longer story...

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    So...you DON'T have a story that fits the premise of the OP. You did exactly what I said is generally what happens when people supposedly get "locked out". You chose not to participate.
    No, we were told we could not participate because we had already succeeded in doing what was supposed to be done. We weren't in the lake, so did not have to find a way out.

You have nearly limitless options at your disposal and you chose:
    No, actually we didn't. We couldn't leave because the rest of the party was in the lake. We couldn't help because the 4 PCs in the lake had chosen to fight the dolphins rather than just swim to shore. Since we were on the shore - and out of range of the others - we weren't allowed to help.

do nothing for 30 IRL minutes. Kind of objectively the worst possible option. That's on you.
    It was the only option we had. Although I will say that was in part on the other players. The DM set up the scenario and had the other PCs just gotten out of the lake, the encounter would have been a lot shorter. But once they decided to enter combat, we were shut out by the DM.

They sure could have. Rather than doing nothing, maybe the person in question could have suggested that to the party, who may just not have thought to do so for whatever reason.
    In hindsight, I could have recommended they get out of the water. However, running away from encounters means there is no XP. The other players wanted the XP, which is probably why they started combat in the first place. By the time I got over my shock at what they were doing, combat was going and I was twiddling my thumbs.
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Proud member of the "I Love Anyway" Club

Thank you, Ceika, so much for the avatar!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

No, we were told we could not participate because we had already succeeded in doing what was supposed to be done. We weren't in the lake, so did not have to find a way out.
    This is, again, not the context of the OP (which is about spells like Wall of Stone, unless I'm mistaken, which can lock down certain entrances and exits). This is just a bad DM arbitrarily deciding which decisions are open to a player.

In this case I'd say the best decision available to you is "don't play with this guy".

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    This is, again, not the context of the OP (which is about spells like Wall of Stone, unless I'm mistaken, which can lock down certain entrances and exits). This is just a bad DM arbitrarily deciding which decisions are open to a player.

In this case I'd say the best decision available to you is "don't play with this guy".
    Agreed. You could have done something besides stare helplessly at your party members bludgeoning sea mammals to death. If the DM didnt want to let you, thats the DM, not the game.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Pex View Post
    One thing worse [...] is being kept out of the combat by some obstacle, not necessarily a wall, so that you can't do anything...
    Round 1: The monster crits twice and leaves one of the squishier PCs on 0.
    Round 2-5: The PC makes Death Saves and does nothing the entire fight. Not only does nothing, but is constantly on the verge of literal death. And if you can't pass a 'Suck or Suck' spell, you can't pass a Death Save, either.

Pretty sure that's the worst that can happen.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

8. - Top - End - #38
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Round 1: The monster crits twice and leaves one of the squishier PCs on 0.
    Round 2-5: The PC makes Death Saves and does nothing the entire fight. Not only does nothing, but is constantly on the verge of literal death. And if you can't pass a 'Suck or Suck' spell, you can't pass a Death Save, either.

Pretty sure that's the worst that can happen.
    That's more of a case of bad luck, rather than deliberate DM choice, which I assume is the more irritating thing to Pex because it's an intentional act rather than the dice falling where they may. Plus, healing is usually available, so barring unusual circumstance healing the person before they die should be pretty high on the priority list.
    The stars are calling, but let's come up with a good opening line before we answer

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AdAstra View Post
    That's more of a case of bad luck, rather than deliberate DM choice, which I assume is the more irritating thing to Pex because it's an intentional act rather than the dice falling where they may. Plus, healing is usually available, so barring unusual circumstance healing the person before they die should be pretty high on the priority list.
    Being critted to death's door in round 1 does suck. I would privately question the balance of the scenario. If it's level 1 or 2 I can chalk it up to being level 1 or 2. It's not the same scenario but in the same ballpark. Maybe it is a subtle difference, but the difference means everything to me. I'm more bothered by Hunger of Hadar in a choke point blocking you off unless you want to commit (near) suicide and don't know where to go on the other side even if you're willing to run through it than actually being in the combat suffering Hold Person and your d20 pretends it doesn't have numbers higher than 8. It was more irritating because it wasn't the first time in the campaign I was locked out of the encounter. At least I'm finally able to have conversations with NPCs that last more than a minute while everyone else gets fifteen, but I ramble.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Mentally I am splitting this into two categories: situational blocks ('no you can't contribute, you aren't there'), and shutdown blocks (wall spells, paralysis, etc.).

Regarding situational blocks, this is really hard to stop from happening. Players have an amazing ability to split the party right before things go down. Certainly systemic setup plays a part as well (only the 'rogue' character will pass stealth checks, so they go off on their own, taking-off-armor-times mean that the party tank is unlikely to be able to go join the dolphin fight until after the fight is resolved, etc.). In general, I think the way to help address this is to:
    1. Make it at least unlikely that this will happen (set up the situation where the rogue that fails their stealth can run away screaming to their friends instead of having to fight on their own, offer quick-release armor regardless of realism, etc.)
    2. Make individual combats reasonable of length (so that non-participation isn't thaaat bad)
    3. As suggested, have the player of the nonparticipating character play a different character for the fight.

Regarding shutdown blocks, in general, game combat systems are composed of either comparing your 'damage ones opponent' (DOO) mechanics against the other guy's DOO mechanics, or else various attempts to keep the other guy from getting to apply their DOO in the first place. If you eliminate all the trips, disarms, entangles, walls, and so forth, it tends to just make the combats focus on attriting HP as fast as possible (and the only variety being how defense vs. offense your focus is, single-target vs area-effect, or consistent vs. nova output). That doesn't sound very fun, so I think the focus instead should be that the shutdown should be contestable. No one-save and then you are shut down (paralysis effects are fine, you should just get repeated chances to break free). No shutdowns you can only defeat with abilities you are very likely not to have (D&D's Force Cage is my pet peeve -- overpowering a force field is a common fictional trope, yet for some reason it was decided that force effects don't bother having hit points or similar). If one side has a busta, then the other side should have a busta-busta.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

also, it is often brough up how it is frustrating to often fail, but it is rarely mentioned how frustrating it can be to succeed too often.
    I don't know if you guys also feel it, but to me it gets boring after a while. i had a character built to be resilient, with huge AC, saving throws and other defensive stuff. and no enemy could touch me. and the first time it was all like "cool, i am invincible!". but it got stale after a while; i lost interest. after a couple sessions, i was elated when i finally found a boss strong enough to hurt me.
    having your abilities always neutralized, being unable to act, it's bad if it happens often. but if it never happens, if you always succeed, if you always do your cool stuff and nothing stops it, then it can get equally bad.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

Per the DM, since we didn't fall in, we had no reason to have to get out of the lake. The encounter was to get out of the lake - not to fight the dolphins.

In hindsight, I could have recommended they get out of the water. However, running away from encounters means there is no XP. The other players wanted the XP, which is probably why they started combat in the first place. By the time I got over my shock at what they were doing, combat was going and I was twiddling my thumbs.

OK, this has nothing to do with in game situations. The GM was being a **** by saying you cannot do anything. This is bad GMing at its finest. You absolutely could have been part of this encounter. Thrown ropes, extended halbards( as you suggested), ranged attacks, shouting out to your party, warning them of fins in the water moving to flank. You and the the other PC could totally have walked from the shore.

But the party in the water was also to blame. They chose to waste their time, your time, the gm's time. That fight was pointless as the goal is to get out of the water. I would have given no XP for the fight itself and treated the whole thing as a trap.

running away from encounters means there is no XP. That is 100% bull. As a party you observed, scouted, and successfully bypassed/temporarily neutralized a threat. You have gained knowledge of the terrain and wildlife ( experience is literally knowledge). You found a pit trap, one doesn't have to fall in to get the XP for the pit trap. Knowing it is there and bypassing it is the whole point.

Being attacked by X and getting to a location where X cannot possibly get to you is a win. Going through X to get to location Y is a win as well if X cannot/or doesnt' know to follow you into Y. It may not be as much XP as permanently neutralizing them but think of MacGyver, Solid Snake, cat burglars, Vow of Peace takers. Getting in and getting out are WINS, big shiny in character common sense wins.

Also, because you beat the trap did you get full xp just like the pcs who failed and fell into the fight? Did you suffer no fight so no xp idiocy? This was really a well disguised. trap not a fight.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Orc in the Playground

Being critted to death's door in round 1 does suck. I would privately question the balance of the scenario. If it's level 1 or 2 I can chalk it up to being level 1 or 2. It's not the same scenario but in the same ballpark. Maybe it is a subtle difference, but the difference means everything to me. I'm more bothered by Hunger of Hadar in a choke point blocking you off unless you want to commit (near) suicide and don't know where to go on the other side even if you're willing to run through it than actually being in the combat suffering Hold Person and your d20 pretends it doesn't have numbers higher than 8. It was more irritating because it wasn't the first time in the campaign I was locked out of the encounter. At least I'm finally able to have conversations with NPCs that last more than a minute while everyone else gets fifteen, but I ramble.
    Ok, you are being effectively locked out of the combat by the GM. Oh, man, that is some serious suck right there. And this has happened multiple times to you? I would consider leaving a game if that happens again. That is not something that can get fixed. I don't know all the details but seriously, dang.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

3.5 party shalt not have any fun but mine Vow of Peace?
    If all rules are suggestions what happens when I pass the save?

15. - Top - End - #45
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Yeah, that example of the DM saying that you can't do anything because you didn't fall in the lake is pretty bad. Like, walk away from the table bad.

As a DM (I don't get to be a player much), I try very hard to make sure that this never happens. This can be hard, because I have a party that splits up every. single. time. I'm dead serious there - we are six months into a campaign where we meet weekly, and the only time that we have made it through a full session without them splitting up is one where everyone controlled a temporary character on a side mission to deal with something important to the campaign but not applicable to the party. The regular party almost never seems to sleep in the same place if they can avoid it - I have to have different inns prepared so they can all go to the place they like. So there are a lot of opportunities for people to not play, but I try to deal with it.

One time, they were in different locations while a zombie horde attacked the town. I had multiple combats going simultaneously as they worked their way back to each other, until I could finally merge the combats into one. Another time, one of the players stayed in town to do some stuff while the rest went to an island to do some hunting. When things got hairy, the party on the island sent the wizard's familiar to the town to find the bard and give her a note that they were doing some exploring and she could come join. She replied that she would stay there, because she had an appointment in the morning that she didn't want to miss. That was a challenge to keep her with something to do, but I would update her whenever the group was not in combat and was considering their move. The biggest, though, was when the party got in an argument and the bard left town in a huff. After ensuring that this was all fun for everyone and there were no IRL hard feelings, we spent four sessions with her doing a murder mystery as she traveled alone to the big city while the rest had some classic dungeon adventures. Before it was over, one other character decided he had to leave adventuring to go join the revolution in his home country, and made a new character that joined the bard on the murder mystery. They are now all back together, but boy that was a pain to deal with.

I think I lost the thread there a bit to complain about my campaign. And really, I shouldn't complain because I really have great players who make it a lot of fun. But there are certainly times that there is nothing I can do about some people sitting around a bit. If you split up the party - especially in a way that lasts multiple sessions - sometimes you end up sitting.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think sometimes it depends a lot on how the group likes to play things.

A Hold Person incapacitates the wizard for several rounds in the fight, giving the player nothing to do. However, a more teamwork focused group would probably then spend actions and resources to undo it, so the character can rejoin the action. As was mentioned early on in this thread, some players like the challenge of preparing for the unexpected, bringing various remedies to different status effects. I am someone who likes to do that too (you can very often on my character sheet find ways to fix things like paralysis or blindness). Playing a Pathfinder Paladin, I also enjoy the pay-off of having picked my Mercies carefully, so that when Sickened/Diseased/Cursed/Paralysis/Poison/Blinded first appears, I kind of get that giddy feeling of "yes! I was prepared for this!".

To me, playing roleplaying games is a group-effort, and challenges are for the group to overcome together.

Even something like "I'm a melee fighter and enemy is somewhere I can't reach them for melee range", well... always carry a crossbow, or a sling, or a bow? Sure, I've been in situations too where I realise "damn I have no ranged attacks at all!" because I derp'ed and forgot to pick it up or got lazy and thought I wouldn't need it, and then one fight later where I felt useless, I pick up a ranged weapon.

I don't in my years of playing that I've been in many combats where there was *absolutely nothing* I could do or the group could do to aid me if I was under a status effect, with the exception of my character having died. In those instances, I've either been busying myself with rolling up a new character, or advising some of the other players in the fight that need a little bit more guidance with the game.
    RHoD: Soah | SC: Green Sparrow | WotBS: Sheliya |RoW: Raani | SA: Ariste | IG: Hemali | RoA: Abelia | WftC: Elize | Zeitgeist: Rutile
    Mystara: Othariel | Vette | Scarlet

17. - Top - End - #47
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Some of the suggestions I've seen seem to not be taking an important fact into account - in most systems, combat operates on a much faster time-scale than most other actions. In D&D for example, it's rare for a fight to last ten rounds (one minute). So any plan like "go make a raft" or "search around and find another way past the wall" or "take out a pick and break it down" had better be done extremely fast or it just amounts to a fancier way of doing nothing.

This happened in Shadowrun once without even a barrier! The group was slightly split - only about a block apart, a distance that would take maybe 30-40 seconds to sprint. Combat breaks out for half the party and the other half ... gets to sit there doing nothing for an hour of real-time, because the entire fight only lasted like 10 seconds IC (wired reflexes, so both sides were moving at high speed). Yes, we were technically acting - we were running toward the fight - and the GM even let us start doing so unrealistically fast (instantly after comms were cut, rather than waiting a bit to notice), and it still didn't help.

So maybe the answer is "crunchy combat and action-preventing effects shouldn't be combined", except that it's usually crunchy combat systems that have more ways to represent such effects, and more incentive to provide mechanically-distinct alternatives to damage.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Some of the suggestions I've seen seem to not be taking an important fact into account - in most systems, combat operates on a much faster time-scale than most other actions. In D&D for example, it's rare for a fight to last ten rounds (one minute). So any plan like "go make a raft" or "search around and find another way past the wall" or "take out a pick and break it down" had better be done extremely fast or it just amounts to a fancier way of doing nothing.
    It should be noted that D&D is all over the place on time scales, with 10 second combat rounds (in BX), 1 minute rounds (AD&D), or 6 second rounds (3e and later).

19. - Top - End - #49
    Banned

AssassinGuy

An RPG is complex in lots of ways, so every so often a player might be "left out" of game play. But it's not the end of the world. You just roll with it.....literally.

But putting all sorts of requirements on the GM is not helping anyone. It's bad enough if you expect the GM to alter the game based on your whims, but gets even worse when the GM is doing it for all the players.

In a good game, characters should be taken out of the action all the time: but it also should be fair, so it happens to everyone.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderswims View Post
    An RPG is complex in lots of ways, so every so often a player might be "left out" of game play. But it's not the end of the world. You just roll with it.....literally.

But putting all sorts of requirements on the GM is not helping anyone. It's bad enough if you expect the GM to alter the game based on your whims, but gets even worse when the GM is doing it for all the players.

In a good game, characters should be taken out of the action all the time: but it also should be fair, so it happens to everyone.
    Should players be allowed to build a character such that it has a reduced or increased chance of being taken out?

21. - Top - End - #51

BardGuy

I’ve since acted to mitigate such events with hirelings being made available as ‘my character is absent’ options. Overall seems to be a win win, players are enjoying seeing their hirelings brought to life and it allows party members to narratively ‘be off doing things’ while everyone still gets in on the action.
    Having "my character is absent" options is always a good idea, for cases of character death as well as those situations where a PC isn't available for the fight.

But I'll also say I accept my character not getting to be part of a fight goes with the game. If my character has the skills/stats to survive being pushed from a great height but not the ability to get back up to the fight, I don't think that means the GM shouldn't have fights around such falls, nor should they hold off on pushing me off if the enemy can do so.
    And if my comrades can't nudge the odd foe down for me to play with, that's not on the GM either. Having the cliff makes for an interesting variation on the fight which I see no need to give up (though the rest of the group should be willing to catch me up on important developments if I break out my iPad while the rest of the fight happens up there).

But also, there's no wrong way to play and not everyone is a patient as I am

But also, If I'm playing a low level fighter who hasn't had a chance to pick up a magic bow, I'm going to get grumpy when we hit the 2nd adventure focused around monsters needing magic to hit them as they fly around hitting us all.
    I love playing in a party with a couple of power-gamers, it frees me up to be Elan!

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Duff View Post

But also, If I'm playing a low level fighter who hasn't had a chance to pick up a magic bow, I'm going to get grumpy when we hit the 2nd adventure focused around monsters needing magic to hit them as they fly around hitting us all.
    If you had the chance to pick up such a bow but neglected to grab that magic bow having seen there were creatures that necessitated such, what would you say then?

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

I completely agree, with the addendum that it's occasionally acceptable for a player to incidentally not be able to do something due to choices they made, so long as they 1.) Got to make the decision that led to it themselves, and 2.) It wasn't some esoteric "gotcha" where they legitimately couldn't have reasonably deduced this scenario.

The example above about not taking ranged weaponry (provided you could have gotten what you needed easily) is one situation I'd call fair. A related and common one is a scenario where a different player decides to scout ahead and gets into trouble away from the party. As a DM it's a good idea to not let a scenario like that take up too much time at the table, but at the same time you can't really allow decisions like that to not have that possible danger. Figuring out the right balance is among the toughest things for me to do, since it's one of the best counters to the scouts I use as NPC's/enemies and we all like the interplay when we're the ones doing it. I try to keep to a five minute rule, where I check back in with the party if an entire five minutes have elapsed without anyone else getting to do anything.
    Last edited by Waterdeep Merch; 2020-11-04 at 11:48 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Banned

AssassinGuy

Should players be allowed to build a character such that it has a reduced or increased chance of being taken out?
    Yes. I don't think the GM or other players should tell a player what to do, and that includes character creation. I only give advise if asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    I completely agree, with the addendum that it's occasionally acceptable for a player to incidentally not be able to do something due to choices they made, so long as they 1.) Got to make the decision that led to it themselves, and 2.) It wasn't some esoteric "gotcha" where they legitimately couldn't have reasonably deduced this scenario.
    I never liked that it must be the players fault somehow and the player must know about the thing ahead of time and then choose to let it happen. It is all just too much.

The rules are full of weapons, items, magic, spells, and effects that can take a creature out of a fight. And it can happen at any time during the game. And just about never will a player know say, all the weapons, items, equipment and magic that a group of orcs have to use.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

I think if you want to not have obstacles to your players doing stuff, then you need to play a game designed with this removed.

I mainly come at this from the perspective of D&D 5th edition where such an approach is almost untenable.

So many class abilities give mobility like running up walls, give save benefits, grant immunity to certain conditions, let you dispell effects and otherwise protect against this kind of setup.

If you approach the game with the attitude that a whole slew of things cant happen to players you make a lot of characters more remarkable abilities totally worthless. If you are not going to let these abilities be useful, you should play instead a game where they are not an option.

26. - Top - End - #56

BardGuy

If you had the chance to pick up such a bow but neglected to grab that magic bow having seen there were creatures that necessitated such, what would you say then?
    I would never be so foolish!
    But, if I did, I'd break out the ipad and not whinge.
    I love playing in a party with a couple of power-gamers, it frees me up to be Elan!

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

You can blame the player when he on purpose does not get the bow when available. You cannot blame him when the bad guy casts an area control spell or activates a trap that cuts off the PC from the battle, and there's absolutely nothing the PC can do about it. No getting around it. No attacking through it. Nothing to interact with in the area the PC is in. Unable to remove the obstacle. If it's a concentration spell the bad guy moves to an area where the rest of the party can't attack him to break concentration until they deal with the mooks first and/or bad guy has War Caster making it difficult to break concentration.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

You can blame the player when he on purpose does not get the bow when available. You cannot blame him when the bad guy casts an area control spell or activates a trap that cuts off the PC from the battle, and there's absolutely nothing the PC can do about it. No getting around it. No attacking through it. Nothing to interact with in the area the PC is in. Unable to remove the obstacle. If it's a concentration spell the bad guy moves to an area where the rest of the party can't attack him to break concentration until they deal with the mooks first and/or bad guy has War Caster making it difficult to break concentration.
    I'm not sure exactly what you want, man. I see this sentiment a lot from players recently, mostly in the 5e subforum, that nothing bad should ever happen to them apparently.

Have you tried playing an RPG that just doesn't have combat mechanics?

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

It is the DM's job to set up obstacles. It is the players' job to overcome the obstacles.

Sometimes, in some encounters, a player will fail to overcome the obstacles, and the other players will deal with that encounter. This is normal. A player should get several chances to affect the encounter. This does not mean that a player will always have a chance to affect every encounter.

In my "Rules for DMs, I have included the following:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rules for DMs
    22. In every session, each PC should have at least one crucial moment when they are the essential character.
    a. Identify the loudest player and the pushiest player. You will never need to set up their moments; they will do so.
    b. Identify the quietest player and the least active player. You will need to set up their moments every session, and make it impossible for the first two to take these moments over.
    24. When a PC gets a great new ability, there needs to be an encounter in the next session for which that ability is devastatingly effective. Otherwise it doesn’t exist. There should also be an encounter in the next session in which it is useless. Otherwise, the rest of that character doesn’t exist.
    Rule 22 means that occasionally, I will set up an encounter specifically for the quiet players who are being overshadowed by the loud players. Yes, this means that I have deliberately kept the loud players out of that encounter. Spend a few minutes watching your friends have fun.

Rule 24 means that sometimes I will set up a barrier that prevents the use of your favorite ability. Accept it, and figure out something else you can do.

If your character occasionally fails to take part in the encounter, then the DM is providing real challenges. If you never gets to take part in the action, then there's a problem. Don't confuse the two.

And look for ways to get past the obstacle.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Does this happen every combat? Every boss fight? Just once a few weeks ago?

If its rare and fits, then its a good gm call. Moreso if it is not targeted ( aka the pc or pcs locked out were random) .